PDA

View Full Version : Takuma Sato

wedge
18th August 2011, 12:34
What are people's thoughts on him?

He's becoming more and more impressive with every race as the season progressed, gaining consistency running at the same pace at the front. Only a matter of time - not if but when will he win a race? Methinks he might do it by the end of the year.

Go Taku!

Chris R
18th August 2011, 13:14
My opinion of Sato is pretty much unchanged from his F1 days. He is very fast, can be an exciting driver to watch but is woefully inconsistent and prone to mistakes. That being said, he has improved greatly, I think having Kanaan as a teammate is probably good for him... He is clearly better than Viso (was not so sure in the past) and has been fast and making less mistakes (I am in the camp that the incident with Dario was as much or more Dario's fault as Sato's) - although perhaps it is not less as much as less obvious mistakes and mistakes made while in contention as opposed to "unforced errors".....

I think a win is not at all out of the question but I would also not be surprised if he never gets it done either.....

DBell
18th August 2011, 14:05
My opinion of Sato is pretty much unchanged from his F1 days. He is very fast, can be an exciting driver to watch but is woefully inconsistent and prone to mistakes. That being said, he has improved greatly, I think having Kanaan as a teammate is probably good for him... He is clearly better than Viso (was not so sure in the past) and has been fast and making less mistakes (I am in the camp that the incident with Dario was as much or more Dario's fault as Sato's) - although perhaps it is not less as much as less obvious mistakes and mistakes made while in contention as opposed to "unforced errors".....

I think a win is not at all out of the question but I would also not be surprised if he never gets it done either.....

I think that's a pretty good assessment of Sato.

00steven
18th August 2011, 15:00
I like Takuma Sato. He is very fast and aggresive, which leads to trouble time to time. I think if he tones it down a notch and stays in the race to the finish, he could win a race pretty soon.

Mintexmemory
18th August 2011, 15:40
I like Takuma Sato. He is very fast and aggresive, which leads to trouble time to time. I think if he tones it down a notch and stays in the race to the finish, he could win a race pretty soon.

Surprised that more people don't include him (and Bourdais) in their Pickem for road circuits. Top guy out of the car too, spent much more time ,when in F1, signing for the fans than your average WC driver

nigelred5
18th August 2011, 17:02
Prone to frequent brain farts and he crashes to much.

somehting in his eye, what ever, he held a consistent line. Sato could have given Dario more room, but it was Dario that moved IMHO ;)

ykiki
18th August 2011, 17:16
I like to root for underdogs, hence I'm a Sato fan. Like others have said, he has a history of being quick but you never know which would fade first - his car or his brain. This year has been different though, with Sato being less wild and more controlled.

In some ways he reminds me of Raul Boesel. Once he stopped finding trouble and started running up front, it seemed like trouble kept finding him.

Anubis
18th August 2011, 18:14
I think he's on record as saying Kanaan has been a great help. He's certainly found the speed to be in with a shout for wins, now it's just the matter of consistency, which as Sato fans will know is the one area he's always fallen down. If he can crack that, he's a genuine contender for wins IMO. Reminds me of a Japanese Jean Alesi. Undoubtedly fast, but very unpredictable. Prone to moments of brilliance yet also capable of stupid lapses in concentration. Not one to play the percentages, that's for sure.

Nikki Katz
18th August 2011, 19:24
I like him, he may come with money but he has genuine talent. I also agree that the Franchitti incident wasn't 100% Sato's fault (I would say presumably hence the lack of penalty, but the IRL seems to just pick penalties out of a hat rather than look at the track), but it would be nice if he didn't crash quite so often. He toned down his crashing in F1 after a few years but seemed to take a step back last year.

He's clearly better than Viso anyway.

wedge
22nd August 2011, 22:28
In some ways he reminds me of Raul Boesel. Once he stopped finding trouble and started running up front, it seemed like trouble kept finding him.

I was thinking the same also. Watching some of the races from the early 90s I was surprised how out of his depth he was in open wheels.

zako85
26th August 2011, 11:34
I think he can do better.

harvick#1
26th August 2011, 16:43
Sato could have given Dario more room, but it was Dario that moved IMHO ;)

doesnt every driver have to give Dario more room :rolleyes: here is a guy thats gonna win a championship by basically putting Power in a hole from Toronto

00steven
27th August 2011, 02:00
doesnt every driver have to give Dario more room :rolleyes: here is a guy thats gonna win a championship by basically putting Power in a hole from Toronto

Will could have given more room.