PDA

View Full Version : What do you talk like?

Brown, Jon Brow
18th August 2011, 11:20
We write to each other but never hear each others voice or accent...................

555-04Q2
18th August 2011, 11:37
I talk like me :p :

When I was in Dubai in 2007, a Canadian woman who overheard me talking asked me if I was from Australia. I told her that I was actually South African and she said she loved the accent, it was the best she had ever heard. My wife, disagrees :p :

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 14:14
a donkey :dozey:

555-04Q2
18th August 2011, 14:53
Neeee Haaaaa...Neeee Haaaa :p :

Daniel
18th August 2011, 15:44

When I was in Dubai in 2007, a Canadian woman who overheard me talking asked me if I was from Australia. I told her that I was actually South African and she said she loved the accent, it was the best she had ever heard. My wife, disagrees :p :

Strangely enough lots of people can't differentiate between South African and Australian accents :mark:

I have a neutral accent and most people don't pick up on the fact that I'm not a Brit, though when told some can pick out a bit of South African and Australian.

Mark
18th August 2011, 17:08
i have a neutral accent.

LMAO! Strewth Dano mate you wouldn't be out of place in a Fosters advert!

schmenke
18th August 2011, 18:15
...When I was in Dubai in 2007, a Canadian woman who overheard me talking asked me if I was from Australia. I told her that I was actually South African and she said she loved the accent, it was the best she had ever heard. ...

We Canadians don't get out much :p :

Firstgear
18th August 2011, 18:48
Actually, if you don't sound like one of the Monty Python crew, we just assume you're Australian.
That is, unless you end every sentence with 'mon', that would make you Jamaican.

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 19:51
Like this, unless I perse my lips, when I sound like this.

slinkster
18th August 2011, 21:06
I don't have much of an accent really... I probably have a slight midlands twang but thankfully it's not noticeable to most. :)

555-04Q2
19th August 2011, 06:37
Strangely enough lots of people can't differentiate between South African and Australian accents :mark:

I've noticed that too, and still haven't recovered from the trauma of it :p :

555-04Q2
19th August 2011, 06:38
We Canadians don't get out much :p :

Never noticed :p : ;)

Eki
19th August 2011, 06:56

I think South African sound more posh than Australian.

555-04Q2
19th August 2011, 06:59
You trying to pick me up Eki :p :

Daniel
19th August 2011, 07:04
I think South African sound more posh than Australian.

Wow, you've obviously never spoken to someone with a really thick sarf efrican eccent

Eki
19th August 2011, 10:35
Wow, you've obviously never spoken to someone with a really thick sarf efrican eccent
Of course it depends on their background. I know that those who speak Afrikaans as their native language can speak English with a really thick accent, but I was talking about those with an English background.

Eki
19th August 2011, 10:37
You trying to pick me up Eki :p :
No, you're too heavy anyway.

Daniel
19th August 2011, 10:48
Of course it depends on their background. I know that those who speak Afrikaans as their native language can speak English with a really thick accent, but I was talking about those with an English background.

Definitely. My uncle has more of an English background than his wife and their family do sound rather posh, and are posh. But then again they are very posh.....

schmenke
19th August 2011, 19:26
What does "posh" sound like? :s

Eki
19th August 2011, 20:10
Something like the Queen of England.

schmenke
19th August 2011, 22:03
Old and musty? :p :

MrJan
19th August 2011, 22:30
I'd imagine that most people in England would consider me to have a strong West Country accent, but it's nothing compared to a lot of people that I work with....oh and West Country isn't the same as Bristol, I don't sound like Russell Howard :D

Incidentally the accent around these parts is quite varied, to the extent that people from Plymouth attempt to insult us East Devonians by calling us 'innums and dinnums' because that's pretty much the way that we'd say "isn't he/it" and "didn't he/it". e.g "It's broken, isn't it" would be "'e's broken, innum"

Brown, Jon Brow
19th August 2011, 22:44
I grew up in Cumbria so I have a northern english accent. So I will say words like 'moor' as 'moo-er'. And I will call my packed lunch my 'bait'.

Unfortunately I now live in Lancashire so I have to put up with dreadful words such as 'barm' instead of breadbun and people saying 'nars' instead of 'nice'. :(

306 Cosworth
21st August 2011, 21:39
I'm in the same boat as Barry. West country is not Brizzle. Although most notherners seem to think my accent makes me sound like a farmer.

donKey jote
22nd August 2011, 17:42
When I lived in the UK my accent was always considered "northern" but nobody could ever pinpoint it down to the nearest 5 miles (that favourite British passtime! :p ).
( my mum is a lancs lass and my dad was raised in Ireland )

Mintexmemory
23rd August 2011, 07:31
I was born within sound of Bow bells (St Mary Le Bow, Cheapside, London). So that makes me a Cockney. This doesn't sound like anyone on the UK soap opera -'Eastenders', they all come from Essex!!! Neither does it sound like Dick Van Dyke in 'Mary Poppins' (Damn and blast him). It isn't the sound of Mick Jagger and Keith Richard, they are actually southern middle class when not drawlling. I don't think I sound particularly 'broad cockney' but when agitated with my kids as they were growing up they would break off the exchange to say, 'shine yer shoes, Guvnor' - But as they were all raised north of the Sheffield parallel they are officially 'Norven Monkeys'

555-04Q2
23rd August 2011, 13:49

David Beckham? :p :

Captain VXR
23rd August 2011, 20:48

eKFjWR7X5dU

I think I have a fairly neutral Southern English accent, but I might put on a thick Bristol accent to confuse the yanks when I go to DC next year :D

Eki
23rd August 2011, 21:38
06t9ovct4j0

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 22:39
I've never considered myself to have much of an accent, and I suppose compared to others from Scotland, Fife doesn't have much of an accent at all. I think even Iain has a stronger accent than me! However I do catch myself saying the odd word that makes me think I'll have to remember that as an example..... "turr-bo" being the latest :D

I do love listening to other accents though and am quite good at guessing which they are. Daniel's not got much of a Welsh accent, more like East Anglia ;) My brother has been living in Australia for about 3 years now and has gone all Australian ;(

Mark
24th August 2011, 09:13
Glaswegian is the best accent :p

wedge
24th August 2011, 14:46
I talk like Ed Milliband. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
24th August 2011, 15:16
I talk like Ed Milliband. :D

Like a computer technician?

J4MIE
24th August 2011, 21:29
Glaswegian is the best accent :p

Any girl talking to me with an Ayrshire accent makes me go weak at the knees :love:

Iain
24th August 2011, 21:40
I've never considered myself to have much of an accent, and I suppose compared to others from Scotland, Fife doesn't have much of an accent at all. I think even Iain has a stronger accent than me! However I do catch myself saying the odd word that makes me think I'll have to remember that as an example..... "turr-bo" being the latest :D

Speaking as a non-Fifer (although my granny was from Leslie so I'm 1/4 Fifer), the Fife accent can be quite distinctive at times ken like eh. :D

My accent's completely messed up. I'm exactly between Edinburgh and Glasgow and have worked with many people from the East and West, so you pick up their local words. Then I speak properly quite a bit from having to speak to these Southern people who don't understand simple words like "fish" and "chips".

I remember Mark once saying he had a "non-accent". :p :

J4MIE
24th August 2011, 22:00
Neebs jamp o'er the pannie, ken :D Of course, that is more dialect than accent ;)

I have tried speaking more slowly when Pino asks me but I just can't seem to be able to :s

Daniel
25th August 2011, 15:36
I've always thought that I sound like Groundskeeper Willy from the Simpsons

I agree :p You do have a freaking strong accent though, but you're easily understood.

I bet if your brother came home and was in your house with family he'd sound Scottish again. I just need to get on the phone to my family and I start sounding more Australian :) Very few people in North Wales have Welsh accents, especially those who live on the coast so there's no real accent for me to pick up.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 15:40
I remember Mark once saying he had a "non-accent". :p :

I'm not sure who is harder to understand, drunk J4mie or Mark :p

I still remember getting a call back in 2003 from a person calling himself "Jimmy!!!!!!" with a really strong Scottish accent and having literally no idea who I was talking to, I asked his name a few times and was none the wiser so I just spoke to him as if I knew who he was, little did I know it was actually Jamie, but he'd just forgotten his own name :D

As for Mark, I can't understand him if I'm speaking to him while I'm on a mobile or if we're in a noisy place :p

J4MIE
25th August 2011, 20:27
And you never let me forget it................................................ .... ;(

Daniel
25th August 2011, 20:59
And you never let me forget it................................................ .... ;(

Ah but it's just so memorable Jamie :D

steveaki13
25th August 2011, 21:02
An Egyptian. :p