PDA

View Full Version : So long Easy Drifter....

Mark in Oshawa
17th August 2011, 18:13
This was posted by me on Indycar, but I have been informed the link to mulitiple forum's isn't working right now..so I post here what I posted on the Indycar forum. At some point, I hope Mark can edit and merge this all into one thread.

So long Easy Drifter....

I am posting here on the Indycar board although I suppose it could be linked to the Chit Chat but Easy Drifter is no longer with us.

Many of us were speculating on a thread on the whereabouts of some of the forum members we haven't heard from. I realized I hadn't heard from Easy Drifter in a while, and since I don't live far from him, but I didn't know exactly where he was, I couldn't be sure where he was. I searched the Ontario Obituary listings for the last year and didn't find him so I thought he was still with us but needed some confirmation. So I remember he wrote for "theGarageBlog", a Canadian automotive enthusiast site and I contacted Gary Grant there, and he informed me Easy Drifter passed away on Feb. 2, 2011 at Soldiers Memorial Hospital in Orillia Ontario.

For those who didn't know him well, his real name was Leighton Irwin. He raced, and was a mechanic for Jensen Motorsports as well as working on the car for his wife Judy when she raced. He was a great raconteur, a fan of racing, and yes as we all know...cantankerous at times. I missed his input this year, and I knew something had gone wrong but didn't want to pry and find out for sure I guess. Anyhow, his posts on "TheGarageBlog" will live on, as does some of his posts on whatever on MSF.

Rest in Peace Easy Drifter....

donKey jote
17th August 2011, 18:27
damn I was wondering where he was and hoping all was ok :(

RIP Easy

race aficionado
17th August 2011, 18:31
Thanks Mark for getting this information to us.

Rest In Peace Easy Drifter.

ioan
17th August 2011, 19:17
Rest in peace. :(

Firstgear
17th August 2011, 19:28
I had noticed some time ago that he wasn't posting, but just assumed he didn't make the switch to the new forum.
Thanks for posting this Mark,
and RIP Leighton, aka Easy Drifter
I always enjoyed your insightful firsthand comments about racing in the "good 'ole days", as well as life on Georgian Bay.

Sonic
17th August 2011, 19:35
Sad news. RIP Easy.

00steven
17th August 2011, 19:45
That's ashame to hear. I remember some conversations he was in and brought an experianced been there done that point of view that few could. So long...

GridGirl
17th August 2011, 19:58
RIP Easy Drifter. Sad news indeed. :(

Mark
17th August 2011, 19:59
Rest In Peace :(

Eki
17th August 2011, 21:32
I'm so sorry to hear that. I had many interesting exchange of words with him.

Rest in Peace, Easy. You'll be missed. :(

MrJan
17th August 2011, 21:54
So strange to hear news like this about a forumer, usually you just assume they've moved on or grown bored. He always offered an interesting slant to discussions on here, so many of us are just fans but he had a wealth of experience and knowledge. Such a shame, RIP.

schmenke
17th August 2011, 23:37
Sad news indeed.
He will be missed :(

Thanks for the update Mark.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 00:05
**** only just saw this :( RIP Easy Drifter

Leighton Irwin takes his last fast lap (http://thegarageblog.com/garage/leighton-irwin-takes-his-last-fast-lap/)
http://thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-content/uploads/Jun+18_19_20_2010+Leighton1.jpg

Roamy
18th August 2011, 02:12
RIP Easy !!!

Captain VXR
18th August 2011, 06:22
RIP Easy Drifter :(

Jag_Warrior
18th August 2011, 09:30
**** only just saw this :( RIP Easy Drifter

Leighton Irwin takes his last fast lap (http://thegarageblog.com/garage/leighton-irwin-takes-his-last-fast-lap/)
http://thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-content/uploads/Jun+18_19_20_2010+Leighton1.jpg

Thanks for tracking down that info, Mark. I really wish that he'd just been taking a break from the forum, but at least we know now. :(

And thanks for the pic, Daniel. Odd that when you finally see some people they look much like you thought they would.

Thanks for all the exchanges, knowledge and fun, Mr. Irwin. May you rest in peace. You will be missed.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 09:43
Thanks for tracking down that info, Mark. I really wish that he'd just been taking a break from the forum, but at least we know now. :(

And thanks for the pic, Daniel. Odd that when you finally see some people they look much like you thought they would.

Thanks for all the exchanges, knowledge and fun, Mr. Irwin. May you rest in peace. You will be missed.

Perhaps a "What do you look like?" thread is in order?

The Black Knight
18th August 2011, 11:37
RIP Easy

555-04Q2
18th August 2011, 11:39
RIP Easy :(

Gone, but not forgotten :)

Retro Formula 1
18th August 2011, 11:44
:(

wedge
18th August 2011, 12:01
Very sad to hear.

He will be greatly missed on his musings on past & present North American motorsports.

Bagwan
18th August 2011, 12:16
Ah , Easy's gone .
Sorry now I couldn't go when we spoke of getting together for a meal at that restaurant you suggested .

You've shown me I shouldn't wait to do the things that are important .
Thanks .

markabilly
18th August 2011, 13:30
damn, I thought maybe he had gotten tired or lost his password, but I figured sooner or later he would be back to do some more dicing and slicing.
After while though, I began to wonder, but did not want to to know if it were bad news.

I knew he had some problems, but never figured his kidneys would get him.

For sure, an old fart like me, one who gave it all back, and someone to trade punches who could take anything that could be dished out.

I already missed him, and now I shall miss him more.

but as he would have put it, hell, if you miss me, just reload...............

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2011, 18:10
I'm so sorry to hear that. I had many interesting exchange of words with him.

Rest in Peace, Easy. You'll be missed. :(

Eki, I know he is smiling knowing you miss him....he and you fought all the time but I think he loved the debate..as do you...and I, so I guess we do have something in common!

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2011, 18:14
Ah , Easy's gone .
Sorry now I couldn't go when we spoke of getting together for a meal at that restaurant you suggested .

You've shown me I shouldn't wait to do the things that are important .
Thanks .

That was my feeling. He was at the Vintage event at Mosport last summer, and I know he would go to the ALMS weekend and maybe one or two others as well; but I never took him up on his invite to join him. Usually my schedule in my personal life kept me from the track, or work, and I just though, well, I know where Leighton lives roughly, I will message him one week and go up and buy him a beer.....and I never got around to it. Damn....let this be a lesson people...you find someone on the forum you want to meet and the opportuinty is there..go...because meeting someone from the net with all the colour and conversation fills in who they really are, and not who you think they are. In Leighton's case, I have met a few older guys who are the racounters and story tellers, and they never fail to entertain. Leighton was one of those guys. I am still missing him for sure....

race aficionado
18th August 2011, 19:37
I searched his post history and all the threads he started to remind myself of his presence and I found a comfortable place to reminisce.

slinkster
18th August 2011, 21:07
What sad news... :(

CarlMetro
19th August 2011, 09:39
Damn, one of the forum faithful and an all-round good guy has departed for good. Very sad news and he will be missed by all who remember him on here, May he now rest in peace.

airshifter
20th August 2011, 01:42
It's a shame to see him gone. He always seemed down to earth and himself in what he posted.

Robinho
20th August 2011, 12:49
sad news. RIP

markabilly
20th August 2011, 17:06
I tried to find the old joke thread that he started, but could not.
Any ideas on how to put it back up?

donKey jote
20th August 2011, 19:11
http://www.motorsportforums.com/chitchat/131893-joke-time.html (2009!) :bigcry: (http://www.motorsportforums.com/chitchat/131893-joke-time.html)

http://www.motorsportforums.com/chitchat/131893-joke-time.html

steveaki13
21st August 2011, 08:54
RIP

Legacy
3rd October 2011, 04:56
Hi all. I wanted to say thank you for your memories. Uncle Leighton was a distant relative of mine on the far side of Canada (I'm on the West Coast). His father was my grandfather's brother. It sounds like a song, doesn't it? I was at Leighton and Judy's wedding when I was 14 -- and SO excited about meeting race car drivers. I only met Leighton a handful of times, but he was so lovely and gracious, especially when I was just a child. I find it incredibly interesting that we both love cars and ones that go fast, especially. I wish that I had had the chance to know him and learn from him. I envy your friendship. Thank you so much for sharing a part of Uncle Leighton that I never knew and for being so generous in your thoughts. xo

Tazio
4th March 2012, 20:51
Rest in Peace Easy, One of the great guys on this forum.....

dunes
6th March 2012, 16:09
I had no idea Im sorry for his loss; he was a very colorful man whos opinion i respected. R.I.P. my ole friend.