PDA

View Full Version : Do I have an engine problem?

Mark
13th August 2011, 15:56
I have a 1.6 TDCi Fiesta, it does not have a DPF. I was driving home and has just joined the motorway and I was accelerating in 5th gear when the car just stopped accelerating. Then I realised I was losing speed!

I managed to keep it going but at reduced speed but could still maintain 60mph but it felt like there was no power. Closer to home it accelerated away from standing starts fine but as soon as it got above 2k revs there was nothing there. Felt very much like the turbo charger just wasn't working at all.

However, I parked up for no more than 10 minutes and then went out again and the car drove perfectly well, power exactly where I would expect it and I could feel the turbo working.

What's going on?!

Daniel
13th August 2011, 17:07
Probably nothing major, a lot of dismal's suffer from issues with the EGR's getting filled with crap for instance. It's rained quite hard up North (and here for that matter) in the last few days, did you get a lot of rain and were you driving in the rain in the last day or so? I would guess that it's probably something like a clogged EGR, a duff MAF (they can be cleaned) or MAP sensor.

Did the CEL come on at all? Any unusual noises while it was losing power? When was it last serviced? How often should it be serviced etc etc.

Mark
13th August 2011, 17:21
Service interval 12,500 miles and last serviced 3,500 miles ago.

There were no warning lights or noises or anything else apart from a lack of power.

Daniel
13th August 2011, 17:41
Service interval 12,500 miles and last serviced 3,500 miles ago.

There were no warning lights or noises or anything else apart from a lack of power.

If I were to take a punt I'd say it's a MAF (mass airflow sensor) issue or a blocked EGR valve. Most likely the EGR valve.
EGR Systems - how it works (http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm)
Cleaning the MAF - solving overdrive problems (http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm)

Here's a good little wiki which shows what happens to the EGR.
EGR Valve and Inlet Manifold Clearout TDCi - www.FordWiki.co.uk (http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/EGR_Valve_and_Inlet_Manifold_Clearout_TDCi)

airshifter
13th August 2011, 18:54
I'd see if you can pull any codes. If done soon enough you can get a code before it resets, and most cars have codes that will not trigger a CEL unless they go beyond a number of cycles.

If you have no codes I'd look at the EGR more than the MAF. EGR valves can get sticky and intermittent before they stick completely, whereas a MAF will tend to have problems until it's cleaned or replaced.

Daniel
13th August 2011, 20:07
I doubt mark has an obd2 reader sadly. Been meaning to get myself one actually.

Mark
13th August 2011, 20:11
No but in my last Fiesta there was a keypress combination to get the error codes. I expect my Mk 7 might have a similar arrangement.

Daniel
13th August 2011, 20:22
Bingo

Ford Fiesta Error Codes - TalkFord.com (http://www.talkford.com/topic/153571-ford-fiesta-error-codes/)

driveace
13th August 2011, 21:53
Without ANY doubt,fit a NEW FUEL FILTER,its full of water and crap ,also fit a new air filter,you dont need any codes.Ran diesels since 1986,50K miles a year ,always the fuel filter !

driveace
13th August 2011, 21:56
I had the same problem last week ,New fuel filter £13 ,fitted ,now it catches pidgeons again !!Thats a Ford Fiesta 1800 TDI

Daniel
13th August 2011, 22:06
Without ANY doubt,fit a NEW FUEL FILTER,its full of water and crap ,also fit a new air filter,you dont need any codes.Ran diesels since 1986,50K miles a year ,always the fuel filter !

So a new fuel filter would have sorted out the HGF on my 406? Interesting! :p

Mark
14th August 2011, 10:03
Doubt the fuel filter would immediately become blocked half way down the motorway and then unblock itself after a 10 minute stop.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th August 2011, 11:13
Why would the fuel filter become blocked? Would regularly running a close to empty tank be a factor?

Eki
14th August 2011, 11:30
I have often suspected that Mark doesn't fire on all cylinders.

Mark
14th August 2011, 11:31
Why would the fuel filter become blocked? Would regularly running a close to empty tank be a factor?

lol. Can't be that for me then :p

Daniel
14th August 2011, 12:15
lol. Can't be that for me then :p

That's not it. Water doesn't "block" the filter as such, there is a water trap at the bottom of the fuel filter and having that full of water doesn't help, has the fuel filter been changed recently? Running a car and never coming close to emptying the tank is just as bad an idea as running a car low.

Have you checked for a code?

markabilly
14th August 2011, 12:25
you should have bought a Ford......

Daniel
14th August 2011, 12:47
you should have bought a Ford......

He did.

markabilly
14th August 2011, 13:08
good. Then it is not my fault he did.

actually, the first place to start is fuel filter/water seperator. Got a 2000 f250 diesel, and had the same kind of problem twice, and the first time it was water, and the second time, it was the filter.

for some reason. diesel gets more junk in the tank than gas, and every 20k miles, i NOW change the filter, and it always has stuff in it.............also keep the tank full. It keeps water from condensing inside the tank, and diesel loves water.............

Mark
14th August 2011, 13:15
Here's the results of the diagnostics

Er0121
E 01
Dt5t6C
Dt1898
sP 0 mls
Sp 0 kmh
Ta 0
T90028
Od 000
F 0336
F90388
FL 00
FP 3E
16 C
bt110
dte454km
Rafe06 l/100km
A0-237
A1-3ff
A2-200
A3-088
A4-052
A5-198
A6-237
A7-370
A8-331
A9-0fa
AA-3ff
Po1-a0
Po2-48
Po5-05
P11-01
P13-3c
P16-30
P19-41
P20-3a
9a9e

All capitalisation is mine (well my phones)

markabilly
14th August 2011, 14:10
POs-1ru

Translation is easy--u need a new ford

Daniel
14th August 2011, 16:11
Po1-a0
Po2-48
Po5-05
P11-01
P13-3c
P16-30
P19-41
P20-3a

OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes (http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/)
Ford OBD-II Trouble Codes (http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/)
It'll be the p codes (powertrain ones which you're interested in.

The slightly confusing thing is that no sites seem to list any codes which have the hex characters in them, but as the first three numbers indicate the component and the last one indicates the particular fault then at least you have a general indication of the problem. Also, not all the codes indicate a fault as such, merely a parameter, such as putting the car into a safe mode which obviously blunts the turbo's performance

Po1-a0 (indicates issue with air metering, so MAP or MAF)
P0248 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid B Range/Performance (to due with the turbo, I imagine this is it being put in safe mode)
Po5-05 P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction (http://www.obd-codes.com/p0505) (I would imagine the MAF would cause this)
P11-01 Mass Air Flow Sensor out of Self-Test Range
P13-3c - can't find an exact code but the closest is P1309 which is Misfire Detection Monitor not enabled (I would guess this is a parameter set by the ECU whilst it's in safe mode)
P16-30 - can't really find anything for this either
P19-41 - Indicates something in the tranmission
P20-3a - Reductant Level Sensor A Circuit (no idea)

Points towards a MAF which a garage could clean if it's merely dirty. I imagine the codes are merely shot out in numerical order so there's no real way to see what happened first so to speak.

Mark
14th August 2011, 17:06
Makes a little sense with the turbo being put into safe mode as that's exactly what it felt like while I was driving it.

Been ok today too.

Daniel
14th August 2011, 18:21
Makes a little sense with the turbo being put into safe mode as that's exactly what it felt like while I was driving it.

Been ok today too.

Personally I'd get it seen to, you don't want that to to happen when you pull into the fast lane and an Audi is steaming up behind at a million miles an hour. If it's the MAF sensor it's not the sort of thing that will sort itself out and it's likely to reoccur. Find a trustworthy local garage and they'll sort it for you for sod all.

Eki
14th August 2011, 18:22
Here's the results of the diagnostics

Er0121
E 01
Dt5t6C
Dt1898
sP 0 mls
Sp 0 kmh
Ta 0
T90028
Od 000
F 0336
F90388
FL 00
FP 3E
16 C
bt110
dte454km
Rafe06 l/100km
A0-237
A1-3ff
A2-200
A3-088
A4-052
A5-198
A6-237
A7-370
A8-331
A9-0fa
AA-3ff
Po1-a0
Po2-48
Po5-05
P11-01
P13-3c
P16-30
P19-41
P20-3a
9a9e

All capitalisation is mine (well my phones)
You have an OBD2 reader in your phone?

Daniel
14th August 2011, 18:23
You have an OBD2 reader in your phone?

The Ford will display its OBD2 codes on its multifunction screen.

schmenke
16th August 2011, 21:27
The Ford will display its OBD2 codes on its multifunction screen.

I wish my POS was similarly equipped. It would put my mechanic out of business... :mark: .

Daniel
17th August 2011, 00:39
I wish my POS was similarly equipped. It would put my mechanic out of business... :mark: .

OBD2 readers are pretty cheap tbh :)

Mark
17th August 2011, 10:09

It may well be. It's not something you find in the owners manual.

Daniel
17th August 2011, 10:59
It may well be. It's not something you find in the owners manual.

Most cars don't display codes on a multifunction screen. The 500 for instance doesn't show codes. Pretty much all post 96 cars do have OBD2 ports though.

schmenke
17th August 2011, 14:19
OBD2 readers are pretty cheap tbh :)

As far as I can tell they cost about $100 around here. Not cheap, but considering my mechanic charges about $50.00 for a "diagnostic", and I've had this done at least twice in the last couple of months, perhaps I should consider the purchase.

schmenke
17th August 2011, 14:20
Most cars don't display codes on a multifunction screen. ....

It also helps if your car is equipped with a multifunction screen in the first place :p : .

Daniel
17th August 2011, 14:25
As far as I can tell they cost about $100 around here. Not cheap, but considering my mechanic charges about $50.00 for a "diagnostic", and I've had this done at least twice in the last couple of months, perhaps I should consider the purchase.

I'm definitely thinking about getting one or buying some Fiat software and perhaps a really cheap netbook and an OBD2 cable.

Some cheap stuff to be had from South of the border where all the hosers live :) No idea where to get one from in Canada eh :p
obd2 reader - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=obd2+reader&hl=en&tbs=p_ord :p &tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=88BLTrbZDsiY8QOevdz4CQ&ved=0CAoQuw0oAQ)

Daniel
17th August 2011, 14:26
It also helps if your car is equipped with a multifunction screen in the first place :p : .

Mine has a multifunction screen but AFAIK it don't show codes on it :p

schmenke
17th August 2011, 14:43
I'm definitely thinking about getting one or buying some Fiat software and perhaps a really cheap netbook and an OBD2 cable.

Some cheap stuff to be had from South of the border where all the hosers live :) No idea where to get one from in Canada eh :p
obd2 reader - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=obd2+reader&hl=en&tbs=p_ord :p &tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=88BLTrbZDsiY8QOevdz4CQ&ved=0CAoQuw0oAQ)

Thanks, I didn't realise you could get them that cheap (yes, most hosers south of the border will ship to Canada with minimal shipping costs, although I sometimes have a bugger of a time explaining to them that I have a postal, not a zip code :p : ).

Dumb question: If I were to purchase a reader, where would I find the explanation of codes themselves? Are these vehicle-specific?

SGWilko
17th August 2011, 15:03
I have a 1.6 TDCi Fiesta, it does not have a DPF. I was driving home and has just joined the motorway and I was accelerating in 5th gear when the car just stopped accelerating. Then I realised I was losing speed!

I managed to keep it going but at reduced speed but could still maintain 60mph but it felt like there was no power. Closer to home it accelerated away from standing starts fine but as soon as it got above 2k revs there was nothing there. Felt very much like the turbo charger just wasn't working at all.

However, I parked up for no more than 10 minutes and then went out again and the car drove perfectly well, power exactly where I would expect it and I could feel the turbo working.

What's going on?!

What age is the car - I have a 1.8TDCi SMax, and had something similar which turned out to be clogged fuel filter. Other possible causes are splits in the turbo air pipes - is there lots of black smoke when this happens (more than normal with a disiesal I mean!)

SGWilko
17th August 2011, 15:06
Doubt the fuel filter would immediately become blocked half way down the motorway and then unblock itself after a 10 minute stop.

Mine bahaved very intermittently at first - some days it was woeful, others it felt normal. I was coming up for the 3 year major service anyway, so held out for that which does include the filter.

Gregor-y
17th August 2011, 15:25
If you have a laptop you can also buy an ODBII cable with a serial port at the other end. A cable may cost as much as the reader, and of course you need to hunt down a copy of the software, which actually isn't too hard as there are a lot of free versions out there.

ODBII is federally mandated as a standard reporting code for all cars sold in the US (and I'd think it would generally apply in Canada as well) since 1996. While each maker may have their own diagnostic reporting the cars is also required to put out all the OBDII codes. There is a set of EODB codes for Europe as well, but I don't know how they're mandated or organized.

Because it's a standard, most code readers are preloaded with a small database that will list the code by name. If you only have the codes you can also look them up online. You would probably get an even better explanation of the code and its likely cause.

Big Box auto repair stores will often scan your car for free, as well. I don't know how it's handled in Canada, though.

Daniel
17th August 2011, 15:38
Thanks, I didn't realise you could get them that cheap (yes, most hosers south of the border will ship to Canada with minimal shipping costs, although I sometimes have a bugger of a time explaining to them that I have a postal, not a zip code :p : ).

Dumb question: If I were to purchase a reader, where would I find the explanation of codes themselves? Are these vehicle-specific?

I found the codes for Marks car just by googling. There are some manufacturer specific ones, but usually you can find them on the interwebs. Most of the codes Mark had were general ones

I think you get what you pay for though. The 30 dollar one will tell you the codes whereas the ones over 150 dollars might give you an explanation of what they mean. That said, you could just write them down and check on your PC :)

555-04Q2
17th August 2011, 15:41
Ford Fiesta ST Forums: Fault codes??? (http://www.fordfiestast.co.uk/showflat.php?Number=46829)

Daniel
17th August 2011, 15:42
Mine bahaved very intermittently at first - some days it was woeful, others it felt normal. I was coming up for the 3 year major service anyway, so held out for that which does include the filter.

It's amazing how little servicing the service schedules include these days and how much you pay for it......

I've had my 500 overserviced deliberately because if it were up to Fiat it would only have had half the work done to it that I've actually had done. But it makes the car look cheap to run at least......

SGWilko
17th August 2011, 17:23
It's amazing how little servicing the service schedules include these days and how much you pay for it......

I've had my 500 overserviced deliberately because if it were up to Fiat it would only have had half the work done to it that I've actually had done. But it makes the car look cheap to run at least......

My S-Max is a company motor so don't pay for the servicing. Car is now 4 years old, and not likely to get a replacement as the company is skint!!!, but while I can, it makes sense to get Ford to service it. If I am made redundant (we are being taken over, so is a possibility) I might get the car as part of the severance........... which would be good as, even though it's a big 7 seater, I often get 600 miles to a fill up! :)

donKey jote
17th August 2011, 18:39
I have a 1.8TDCi SMax

an SMax :dozey: :rolleyes: :p

SGWilko
17th August 2011, 19:52
an SMax :dozey: :rolleyes: :p

Yep - kids and staycations require enough room for comfortable 7 hour drives (DVD in the back for the brats) and cavernous boot space for luggage.

It also happens to be a surprisingly easy yet sporty car to drive, not wallowing like those Chrysler/Zafira/Seat/Citroen MPV's.

donKey jote
17th August 2011, 20:07
SMax is a donkey's car :dozey:

I don't have DVD in mine but I'm thinking of hacking the MFD/Navigation system into thinking it has a rear camera (or some other Video-in ;) ) connected. For the tart in the codriver seat of course. :s mokin:

SGWilko
17th August 2011, 20:27
SMax is a donkey's car :dozey:

I don't have DVD in mine but I'm thinking of hacking the MFD/Navigation system into thinking it has a rear camera (or some other Video-in ;) ) connected. For the tart in the codriver seat of course. :s mokin:

You'll have the slidey out boot thingy then instead of 3rd row of seats?

Daniel
18th August 2011, 00:07
My S-Max is a company motor so don't pay for the servicing. Car is now 4 years old, and not likely to get a replacement as the company is skint!!!, but while I can, it makes sense to get Ford to service it. If I am made redundant (we are being taken over, so is a possibility) I might get the car as part of the severance........... which would be good as, even though it's a big 7 seater, I often get 600 miles to a fill up! :)

Fair enough :) best of luck with things :)

Malbec
18th August 2011, 10:10

I'm looking at my FIRST service in 20k miles/2 years, no oil changes, nothing before that.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that cheap engines are now practically blueprinted so there won't be any bits of metal left loose in the engine once its run in, but the garage isn't interested in looking at the car before then.

Its a stark contrast to motorbikes that need an oil plus filter change at 500 miles, personally I feel happier with that kind of regimen than I do with what cars get away with now.

I plan to keep an eye on the oil to make sure it stays clean, if I have any suspicions I'll do a change.

The thing is though, don't modern engines have something on them so they can tell whether the engines have had work done on them? I don't want to invalidate the warranty by asking a local garage to do a full service before its due for one.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 10:32
I'm looking at my FIRST service in 20k miles/2 years, no oil changes, nothing before that.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that cheap engines are now practically blueprinted so there won't be any bits of metal left loose in the engine once its run in, but the garage isn't interested in looking at the car before then.

Its a stark contrast to motorbikes that need an oil plus filter change at 500 miles, personally I feel happier with that kind of regimen than I do with what cars get away with now.

I plan to keep an eye on the oil to make sure it stays clean, if I have any suspicions I'll do a change.

The thing is though, don't modern engines have something on them so they can tell whether the engines have had work done on them? I don't want to invalidate the warranty by asking a local garage to do a full service before its due for one.

Nope. They can't tell if the oil has been changed. EU law dictates that any VAT garage can work on your car and as long as the parts are OEM or of equal quality. So as long as the oil is the right viscosity and conforms to the relevant ACEA standards and any additional VW standards then your warranty is preserved.

The first service on the 500 was meant to be at 2 years or 18k miles (whichever was first). I wanted to get it done at about 14k miles but didn't get the chance to book it in before we went on holiday and it got done at 16k miles and just over 12 months. Got the second service done ealy at 25k miles (was meant to be 36k miles or 2 years from the first service) and got the tappets done 11k early and it runs as sweet as anything and even though it's a tiny little 1.2 it'll pull uphill on motorways and dual carriageways in 5th unless the hill is really long and steep and even then with a runup you can usually get up in 5th. At the moment on my current tank I'm getting over 60mpg on trip computer which is probably about 58 or so in real terms which I think is exceptional considering the fact that it's a petrol and it's not direct injection and the engine design is about 20 years old. Also, when I've had my car serviced I've had all the filters changed rather than changing them if they were clogged. I'm also planning to do an oil change myself inbetween the one the dealership will do every year so as to keep engine wear to an absolute minimum :D

As Tesco say, every little 'elps :up:

Mark
18th August 2011, 11:22
Yep - kids and staycations require enough room for comfortable 7 hour drives (DVD in the back for the brats) and cavernous boot space for luggage.

Staycations can't be having a 7 hour drive. That's just a holiday :)

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 11:42
Staycations can't be having a 7 hour drive. That's just a holiday :)

Actually, it's an untroublesome (ignoring the M25) run up the A1 to Darlington, then the beautifully placed A68 all the way up to Kelso in the Borders. 7 hours icludes a stop for grub at a Little Chef at Doncaster - this one has recently been Hestoned!!

Mark
18th August 2011, 12:48
I do know the Little Chef at Doncaster having stayed in the travelodge there a few times. Not Hestoned when I was there, but the one in York was but it was still serving overpriced and under portioned food. I.e a disgraceful rip off.

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 12:59
I do know the Little Chef at Doncaster having stayed in the travelodge there a few times. Not Hestoned when I was there, but the one in York was but it was still serving overpriced and under portioned food. I.e a disgraceful rip off.

They have not been labelled 'Little Thief' for nothing you know ;)

I however, think the new format is a big improvement. Most of their menu previously, was almost entirely cooked in the deep fat fryer, except for the salads (although I did wonder at times) ;)

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 14:17
You'll have the slidey out boot thingy then instead of 3rd row of seats?

no slidey thingies... two folding seaty thingies in the 3rd row.

Eki
18th August 2011, 15:29
Have you fixed your gin problem already, donkey?

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 15:31
yes, but now I think I have an onion problem :dozey:

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 15:32
actually I've spent the whole day in Helsinki-Vantaa, so no, no problems :dozey:

Daniel
18th August 2011, 15:38
actually I've spent the whole day in Helsinki-Vantaa, so no, no problems :dozey:

I spent the night in Helsinki-Vantaa once, probably the nicest airport I've ever slept in, but then again I've only ever slept in Helsinki-Vantaa and Harare airport's so it's hardly a competition :p

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 15:48
Well I hope I won't have to sleep here tonight... or in Copenhagen for that matter :p

free t'ínternet is OK though :up:

schmenke
18th August 2011, 15:49
I've spent a few nights in Vantaa, but fortunately my accommodations were signifantly more hospitable than the airport :D

Daniel
18th August 2011, 15:52
Well I hope I won't have to sleep here tonight... or in Copenhagen for that matter :p

free t'ínternet is OK though :up:

To be fair I didn't sleep, I was too scared I'd miss my flight I stayed up through the night talking to the other forumer who was staying there :p

Eki
19th August 2011, 20:46
yes, but now I think I have an onion problem :dozey:
Anion problem? Are you a chemist?

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 23:29
I've slept in more airports than you could shake a stick at Daniel :p : Helsinki included :cool: :up:

Daniel
23rd August 2011, 23:30
I've slept in more airports than you could shake a stick at Daniel :p : Helsinki included :cool: :up:

You've also been attacked by more marshals the me, what is your point man? :D

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 23:37
I've been in the presence of many thousand times the amount of marshals you have (and they like to annoy us photographers) so the ratio must be about the same I would expect...........

But do I ever have a point? :p :

Daniel
23rd August 2011, 23:37
I've been in the presence of many thousand times the amount of marshals you have so the ratio must be about the same I would expect...........

But do I ever have a point? :p :

Considering the fact that I've never been attacked by a marshal......... :p

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 23:39
Yet. Yet.

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 23:39
Yet. Yet. Matter of time.

Daniel
23rd August 2011, 23:40
Yet. Yet.

Perhaps, but I'd bet the house on your getting rugby tackled by marshals before me ;)

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 23:40
Yet.

Yet.

Matter of time.

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 23:41
Indeed but do you have as dodgy a computer / internet connection than I do?
I win :D

Mark
5th November 2011, 08:23
Had the same problem again today for the first time since the first post. The car wouldn't accelerate. So I pulled over and turned the engine off and on, and then it was fine.

donKey jote
5th November 2011, 12:58
Maybe the car is trying to tell you something... :p

tfp
5th November 2011, 14:15
Had the same problem again today for the first time since the first post. The car wouldn't accelerate. So I pulled over and turned the engine off and on, and then it was fine.

It has probably been suggested before, but I'd guess the MAF sensor is faulty.

Malbec
6th November 2011, 16:51

Did you get the Fiesta checked out by a garage in the meantime?

My Pan-European had a similar intermittent problem. In the spring and summer after starting it would often refuse to idle and would die if it came to a standstill unless you had the throttle on. After 10 minutes on the dot after starting up the bike would be fine, presumably it switched to some different setting.

The self-diagnostics on the bike claimed the fault was the MAP sensor going wrong. Took it to a Honda main dealer who couldn't find the problem (it was still pretty intermittent) and after several visits suggested the problem was in my head. They lost another customer that day. Took it to another Honda main dealer who plugged it into a diagnostics kit and replaced the MAP sensor.

The bike was better for a while until the next spring when it started to play up again in exactly the same way...

Might be worth getting it sorted out and finding out if its something that can be fixed easily or something you'll have to learn to live with.

Mark
6th November 2011, 17:14
No I didn't as it only happened once and didn't recur until a couple of days ago. Again the car has been running fine since then.

It's not an idle problem, it's just that there's no power above about 3k revs. It's still driveable, just slow!

schmenke
7th November 2011, 14:36
I’m no grease-monkey, but it sounds to me like it might be a loss of compression. Have you noticed a change in the engine and/or exhaust sound that might indicate a cracked pipe or manifold?

Perhaps also a vacuum leak. Have you checked for any obvious loose and/or cracked hoses?

Where’s an experienced oaf when you need one :dozey: .

SGWilko
7th November 2011, 14:48
If you are getting lots of black smoke when it happens, I's suggest a split turbo air pipe.....

donKey jote
7th November 2011, 17:10
Where’s an experienced oaf when you need one :dozey: .

still in the basement with Billy's missus ? :andrea:

driveace
8th November 2011, 10:06
Now then I had a problem with My Fiesta diesel last week .dropping down to 40 from a 50 zone,it lost power and went into "Get you home mode".Stopped engine ,left it a minute ,started up again and ALL was fine,Then is happened 2 days later.Had it checked out by computer ,which said the TEMPERATURE sender was faulty.
Rung my Ford dealer to check they had one in stock,and asked if they have been a problem on other motors,and would it cause the engine to go into get you home mode ,YES he said .fitted new one and BINGO ,we are sorted

robbiebrown34
16th August 2012, 20:52
Hi All,

I have a 2008 Ford Fiesta Zetec S and lately I have been having a problem similar to the one discussed in this thread.

I was heading down the motorway at about 70mph and noticed that my car had no power. I slowed down to 50 and tried to accelerate and it took ages to get back to 70 again. I put the car in neutral and held the throttle flat out - it maxed out at around 3500rpm. Normally revs to 5000rpm!

When I got to my destination I checked the oil and it was a little low so I filled it up - The problem went away for about 10 minutes of the next journey and came back. When I got home again I did a service myself (oil, oil filter, air filter and pollen filter) - Again the problem went away and then came back again. There were no lights on the dash suggesting a problem.

I thought about just selling the car and then tonight on the way home from work the problem happened again but this time I got an "engine malfunction" message on the screen and now the engine (!) light is lit. I did a bit of research and managed to find the secret menu - below are my codes.

Gage and LED tests were first. Then...

ra0
Er0121
E01
DT5T6C (5 may be an S)
DT1700
130000 (This kept going up from zero)
SP 0mls
SP 0kmh
Ta 0
T90033
od 000
F 0946
F90012
FL00
FP05
57c
BT 114
dtE021km
rAfE05 1/100km
A0 - 24A
A1 - 3FF
A3 - 21E (switching between E and 0)
A4 - 052
A5 - 19c
A6 - 249
A7 - 3FF
A8 - 3FF
A9 - 00E
AA - 3FF
P01 - A1 and 52 (switching)
P02 - 48 and C0 (switching)
P05 - 05
P11 - 01
P13 - 3C and 2C (switching)
P16 - 30
P19 - 41
P20 - 1A

Then it went back to GAGE

Does anyone have any idea how to read the above codes and/or knows how I can decode them?
I am considering taking the car to the Ford dealer but they charge you £50 for diagnostics and then fixing is more...

If there is any other info required, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Mark
17th August 2012, 11:15
Have to say, I had the problem happen three times, but since my original posts, it hasn't happened again.

Gregor-y
17th August 2012, 15:10
Where are you located? A lot of stores like Autozone or Halfords will do scans for free or you may find the codes with a search.

schmenke
17th August 2012, 15:51
That’s quite the list of codes! Often though all it takes is one error code being the root problem, triggering many others.
I’m no mechanic but you should be able to google the codes. If not, as Gregory suggested, just about any mechanic would likely decipher them free of charge.

A sudden loss of power like that sounds like a loss of compression and could be the result of any number of things:
Loss of fuel pressure – I believe there’s a sensor for this so it should appear in your list of error codes. It could be something as simple as a dirty fuel filter, or a dodgy fuel pump.
Electrical – Alternator, plugs, cables.
Vacuum leak.
Compression leak (ugh!)
Crankcase position misaligned (again, I believe there’s a sensor for this).
Upstream mixture – dodgy MAF sensor?

The fact that the engine rpm limits to only 3,500rpm could be the ECU putting it into a “safe” mode.

Does the engine turn over and/or idle properly?

As mentioned, your best bet is a diagnostic from your local oily oaf :mark:

D-Type
17th August 2012, 22:37
Have you been using bio-diesel. My father in law tried it and it screwed up all the engine controls of his Ssanyong diesel. A diesel specialist tied to fix it and mad it worse. It cost £1500 to get a dealer to fix it. Fortunately for him it was still under warranty.

wedge
20th August 2012, 15:59
Faulty throttle sensor?

Recently a work mate was fed up with Ford garage. I told him to get his Focus to a ECU diagnostics guy. Turned out it was faulty throttle sensor. It's a problem with Fords but apparently not common enough for Ford HQ to issue this notice franchises.

driveace
20th August 2012, 22:23
If that happens and your car goes into"Get you home mode" Pull up switch off engine,then wait a few seconds and restart it,it will then be OK But nothing to do with low compression,it usually a faulty sensor

Mark
21st August 2012, 10:19
Yes, that's what happened to me, a few seconds with the engine off and it was fine.