PDA

View Full Version : Stupid people

Daniel
12th August 2011, 23:23
UY_CzPD2cYs&sns

Spotted this on Facebook and thought some on here might like it :)

Brown, Jon Brow
12th August 2011, 23:25
That is quite amazing. Although I've never actually seen people use the hard shoulder in this way before.

steveaki13
13th August 2011, 08:58
Great stuff, I hope that someone takes note of all their number plates.

Good Job.

Mark
13th August 2011, 15:59
I think the people on the hard shoulder thought they could get around the traffic and off at the next junction, well if that were possible everyone would have done it! Idiots.

Apparently the coach company has been inundated with calls!

Although I do have to point out the reporter was also committing a criminal offence by walking along the motorway.

CarlMetro
19th August 2011, 09:52
Although I do have to point out the reporter was also committing a criminal offence by walking along the motorway.

Which was exactly what I thought when I saw this.

SGWilko
19th August 2011, 10:03
Slightly veering OT here, but do you think we will ever see in-car Sat Nav linked to vehicle speed/throttle etc so that eventually, it will be impossible to speed?

Daniel
19th August 2011, 10:19
Which was exactly what I thought when I saw this.

To be honest though I don't see it as a problem. I know it's against the letter of the law and all that, but I think if what he did stops a few people driving up the hard shoulder then it's fantastic.

ioan
19th August 2011, 14:46
Slightly veering OT here, but do you think we will ever see in-car Sat Nav linked to vehicle speed/throttle etc so that eventually, it will be impossible to speed?

Probably, the question is why would people not hack it?

SGWilko
19th August 2011, 15:09
Probably, the question is why would people not hack it?

Well, if they get nicked for speeding, and the software was found to be hacked, their sentence would NOT be lenient perhaps?????

Malbec
19th August 2011, 15:37

Nope.

It is legal to speed in particular circumstances for safety reasons such as during overtaking. Recording average speeds might be a different matter but continuously recording vehicle location would be a bit Big Brother don't you think?

SGWilko
19th August 2011, 15:42
Nope.

It is legal to speed in particular circumstances for safety reasons such as during overtaking. Recording average speeds might be a different matter but continuously recording vehicle location would be a bit Big Brother don't you think?

Well, I wasn't advocating tracking speed, just making it impossible to exceed the speed limit (Citroen have a system on their C3 where you can set a maximum speed, but it requires to be set by the driver). I am advocating that, if you are on a 40mph road, your car cannot exceed thet speed, on a motorway, 70 etc, and the sat nav, knowing where you are, knows what max speed the car should be allowed to attain.....

You'd need to banish freight vehicles to the inside lane only (nothing riles me more that a lorry, travelling a 55mph, is overtaken by one doing 56mph, and it takes 17 counties to complete the manouvre), leaving 2/3 lanes free for other road users so that they can overtake the middle lane huggers travelling at 55-60 ;)

Mark
19th August 2011, 15:49
It's not legal to speed while overtaking! Even though it's safest to get by as quickly as possible, the law makes no allowance for this.

SGWilko
19th August 2011, 15:55
It's not legal to speed while overtaking!

I suspect however, that you would probably be able to get off with a warning if the reason for the speeding was to complete a safe overtake.

A bit like, if you are coming up to a set of lights at a pedestrian crossing, and they start to change as you approach in the wet, if there is some spotty 17 year old up your chuff in a corsa with a spoiler bigger than Hamleys, and you don't chose to slam on the anchors to stop in time, you could argue that the risk of being rear ended mitigated the offence of failing to stop for a red light......

In any case, it happened to guy I knew many moons ago, he lost his license because he said he had not looked in his mirror, judge felt for him, and told him if he had looked in his mirror and there was a car up close, he'd have been let off with a caution.

Malbec
19th August 2011, 16:29
It's not legal to speed while overtaking! Even though it's safest to get by as quickly as possible, the law makes no allowance for this.

Thats not been my experience. I almost failed my motorbike test because I refused to overtake a truck doing 40 in a 40 zone and I also got shouted at by a police officer on a police riding course in a similar situation, refusing to overtake someone who was already exactly at the speed limit.

In both cases I was told that speeding would be permitted, even expected as long as I didn't take the mickey. The only exception to this I was told was if I was caught by a speed camera and even then if I appealed I should be able to argue my corner.

CarlMetro
19th August 2011, 17:28
even then if I appealed I should be able to argue my corner.

Well whoever has told you that was wrong. Short term exessive speed in the process of an overtake whilst overtaking a vehicle travelling slower that the posted speed limit is acceptable, however if the vehicle to be overtaken is already travelling at the posted speed limit then short term excessive speed would not be acceptable and prosecuted under the same rules as any other excessive speed offence.

However lets try and keep this thread on topic and not divert it to a completely different subject.

@Daniel - Sorry buddy but I tend to disagree, bit silly to break a law to display other people breaking a law. It's a bit like using your hand-held mobile whilst to ring the police and tell them that the bloke in front has bald tyres and no rear lights. If the man with the camera was an on duty police officer or a member of the highways agency staff then I would applaud him for his actions. It is down to those not just with the authority but also the training to enforce the law, not some numpty with a camera phone walking up and down a live motorway which could have become active without any warning.

Malbec
19th August 2011, 17:44
Well whoever has told you that was wrong. Short term exessive speed in the process of an overtake whilst overtaking a vehicle travelling slower that the posted speed limit is acceptable, however if the vehicle to be overtaken is already travelling at the posted speed limit then short term excessive speed would not be acceptable and prosecuted under the same rules as any other excessive speed offence.

Do you mind telling me where this information is available? I was told by my riding instructor, examiner and a police officer that speeding in this instance is fine but others like you insist it isn't.

Mark
19th August 2011, 17:47
Carl, I would tend to agree. Pedestrians are banned from motorways for a very good reason.

Now standing outside your car in stopped traffic might be tolerated. But what if they wanted to restart a stopped motorway and a load of people were away from their cars?

Mark
19th August 2011, 17:50
Do you mind telling me where this information is available? I was told by my riding instructor, examiner and a police officer that speeding in this instance is fine but others like you insist it isn't.

There's a difference between what's sometimes tolerated and the law. There has been a change in attitude to speeding in recent years and overtaking is no longer an acceptable reason. In fact overtaking in itself is increasingly being frowned upon; which is just silly.

Daniel
19th August 2011, 18:19
There's a difference between what's sometimes tolerated and the law. There has been a change in attitude to speeding in recent years and overtaking is no longer an acceptable reason. In fact overtaking in itself is increasingly being frowned upon; which is just silly.

I disagree. A lot of people these days seem to see speed limits as a goal or someone travelling at the speed limit as a target.

Carl, in the 500 do you feel that some people make an extra effort to overtake you? Kind of like having to prove that their penis is faster and more manly than your penis? If you get what I mean.

Mark
19th August 2011, 18:41
I disagree. A lot of people these days seem to see speed limits as a goal or someone travelling at the speed limit as a target.

Carl, in the 500 do you feel that some people make an extra effort to overtake you? Kind of like having to prove that their penis is faster and more manly than your penis? If you get what I mean.

I'm not sure which part you are disagreeing with.

Daniel
19th August 2011, 18:47
I disagree that overtaking shouldn't be frowned upon in most cases.

Mark
19th August 2011, 19:05

I see. Overtaking is a normal part of driving. When I was commuting to York I drive on a 20 mile stretch of S2 daily and it would be usual for me to complete 3-4 overtakes during that stretch. Either that or sit behind that 40mph driver when there's a perfectly clear and safe chance to overtake.

schmenke
19th August 2011, 19:15
I was once fined for speeding while overtaking. I argued with the policeman that the vehicle ahead of me was driving at less than the speed limit (o.k., barely :uhoh: ) and I want'd to get by as quickly as possible, tempoarily exceeding the speed limit in this case. Unfortunate, said the man in blue... under no circumstances can the posted limit be exceeded. :mark:

CarlMetro
19th August 2011, 21:23
Do you mind telling me where this information is available?

Pop down to your local library and ask them for a copy of Driving - The Essential Skils as published DSA (Driving Standards Agency) There is a whole section within it dedicated to overtaking and another on speed.

But then what do I know?

CarlMetro
19th August 2011, 21:28

I find that people see the 'L' plates and react in one of two ways, either they stay 200 yards behind me or they will try and get past me at the earliest opportunity but I will say the majority are the former, feeling they have to give me a wide berth even though I may be in the car on my own. I don't believe it has anything to do with the car to be honest, more a fact that it's a driving school.

ioan
19th August 2011, 22:24
Well, if they get nicked for speeding, and the software was found to be hacked, their sentence would NOT be lenient perhaps?????

What use to have a car that only goes as fast as all the others in the queue? It would be cheaper to ride the bus with exactly the same result.

ioan
19th August 2011, 22:26
A bit like, if you are coming up to a set of lights at a pedestrian crossing, and they start to change as you approach in the wet, if there is some spotty 17 year old up your chuff in a corsa with a spoiler bigger than Hamleys, and you don't chose to slam on the anchors to stop in time, you could argue that the risk of being rear ended mitigated the offence of failing to stop for a red light......

In any case, it happened to guy I knew many moons ago, he lost his license because he said he had not looked in his mirror, judge felt for him, and told him if he had looked in his mirror and there was a car up close, he'd have been let off with a caution.

You knew Ron Dennis?! :eek:

ioan
19th August 2011, 22:32

Depends. If you do it right and in complete safety for everyone then it is a good thing, believe me I did about 200 overtaking moves last week.
Sure there are always those idiots who somehow never manage to correctly appreciate the speed and the distance needed for an overtake and end up relying on the overtaken driver's brakes or they just kill themselves and a bunch of innocent people in the process.

Daniel
19th August 2011, 22:42
I find that people see the 'L' plates and react in one of two ways, either they stay 200 yards behind me or they will try and get past me at the earliest opportunity but I will say the majority are the former, feeling they have to give me a wide berth even though I may be in the car on my own. I don't believe it has anything to do with the car to be honest, more a fact that it's a driving school.

True, you'd have to drive a 500 without the BSM stickers and L plates on to really know. I just find that when I drive the Subaru or was driving my 406 people were in less of a hurry to get by. Could just be me imagining it of course. Funny thing with the 500 because it's so light and has such wide sticky tyres is that coming into a corner someone can be tailgating me and come 100 metres from the apex they're trailing well behind :laugh: It doesn't handle well, but it's got plenty of grip.

This technique has netted me 59.2 mpg on my last tank.

Daniel
19th August 2011, 22:48
Depends. If you do it right and in complete safety for everyone then it is a good thing, believe me I did about 200 overtaking moves last week.
Sure there are always those idiots who somehow never manage to correctly appreciate the speed and the distance needed for an overtake and end up relying on the overtaken driver's brakes or they just kill themselves and a bunch of innocent people in the process.

I agree, sadly like all things, a few bad apples spoil it for everyone.

I remember giving a coworker a lift to work with me in the 500 last year and some idiot went to overtake me shortly before a corner and when a car came around the corner he just put his foot down more. I had a choice between lifting and everyone being OK or keeping my foot in it and having more or less a 100% chance of causing a fatal accident (both cars were probably doing 50-60mph and the road was greasy so neither would have stopped well) so i obviously lifted. The girl in the car with me crapped herself but TBH I saw it coming a mile off because I saw the oncoming car through the hedges and knew I was going to have to lift. Just pisses me off when some knob puts me in that situation so he can get to work a couple of minutes earlier at best.

ioan
19th August 2011, 23:05
I agree, sadly like all things, a few bad apples spoil it for everyone.

I remember giving a coworker a lift to work with me in the 500 last year and some idiot went to overtake me shortly before a corner and when a car came around the corner he just put his foot down more. I had a choice between lifting and everyone being OK or keeping my foot in it and having more or less a 100% chance of causing a fatal accident (both cars were probably doing 50-60mph and the road was greasy so neither would have stopped well) so i obviously lifted. The girl in the car with me crapped herself but TBH I saw it coming a mile off because I saw the oncoming car through the hedges and knew I was going to have to lift. Just pisses me off when some knob puts me in that situation so he can get to work a couple of minutes earlier at best.

I never understood people who are in a hurry to start working in the morning! :D

As for your coworker, well that stinks. :laugh: