PDA

View Full Version : What tyres are you running?

wedge
10th August 2011, 19:10
Falken 912s all round.

Surprisingly good. Good grip, decent on track days despite being Touring tyre range.

Tempted to go for similar tyres as I only do a 1or 2 track days a year.

Mark
10th August 2011, 20:18
Ditto!

Daniel
10th August 2011, 21:42
Falken 912s all round.

Surprisingly good. Good grip, decent on track days despite being Touring tyre range.

Tempted to go for similar tyres as I only do a 1or 2 track days a year.

Interesting. Caroline had two Falken 912's on her Subaru and they were terrible. Absolutely no feel at all through the steering on them and they were terrible in the wet also. The Subaru has a couple of Vredestein Sportrac 3's and 2 Continental Premium Contact 2's on at the moment and both types of tyres seem good, Conti gives a nicer steering feel and the Vredestein's are quite sticky.

The Fiat runs the tyres which came with it from new which arse Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's in the summer which are performance tyres and far outstrip the cars ability to corner but once you get to November and it gets below 10 and is damp, they get a lot of wheelspin and are pretty dangerous in the snow and ice. After almost 22k miles they've still got 3.5-4.5mm of tread left and the wet performance is just starting to drop off as I felt today, when do they get to maybe 2 or 2.5mm I'll replace them with whatever's cheapest in the range of decent tyres but which does well in tests . So far I'm thinking Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response's. In the winter it runs Vredestein Snowtrac 3's which are simply so fantastic on snow and ice that we take the Fiat out when it's snowy, not the Subaru.

I'm so sad I even have a picture of both types of tyres the Fiat runs :p

http://oi52.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

As for buying the cheapest tyres, no idea why you'd do that, it's just false economy and if you're buying a Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Dunop or similar then you're going to be in better hands. Always amuses me when you're walking along and you see an expensive Audi with a big engine which is rolling on Wanli's or some other rubbishy far east tyres. It's a cliche, but those are the only 4 things stopping your car from falling off the road, I can understand some knackered l reg Corsa running cheap tyres but if you can afford a new car you can afford proper tyres and you should buy proper tyres. Sorry if I come across as a tyre snob but it's true :p

driveace
10th August 2011, 21:43
I dont buy expensive tyres,by changing them round every six thousand miles,and not kerbing them,I do OK.It would be nice if money was NO problem,then i would probably buy Michelin. Another thing,is that when Toyo tyres first came onto the market they were cheap,and then the same with Hangkang,from China,but as soon as they become popular UP goes the price.You get quoted £30 for a tyre,THEN new valve,fitting,balancing and we are at £48 !!

Daniel
10th August 2011, 21:45
I dont buy expensive tyres,by changing them round every six thousand miles,and not kerbing them,I do OK.It would be nice if money was NO problem,then i would probably buy Michelin. Another thing,is that when Toyo tyres first came onto the market they were cheap,and then the same with Hangkang,from China,but as soon as they become popular UP goes the price.You get quoted £30 for a tyre,THEN new valve,fitting,balancing and we are at £48 !!

Only 6 thousand miles on a set of tyres? What are you doing to them?!?!?!?!?!? I typically pay about £9 for a valve and balancing. I fit them myself as I don't trust the shaved chimps that these places seem to employ.

donKey jote
10th August 2011, 22:42
oh great another tyre thread :z
:dozey:
:andrea:

Daniel
10th August 2011, 23:07

You go to work and probably look at tyres now and you have to come on here and read about them :D

CaptainRaiden
10th August 2011, 23:17

I agree. A slow day indeed... :dozey:

CaptainRaiden
10th August 2011, 23:18
I'm running them black and round ones.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/7/73/20110128203738!Trollface.png

Rollo
10th August 2011, 23:37
Pirelli P3000 Energy - 175/65 R14

The Michelin Hydroedges which the 206 was sold with only comes in Metric, so I had to change the wheels and the tyres at the same time.

Daniel
11th August 2011, 09:07
I've personally never had any problems with budget tyres. Never suffered loss of grip in wet weather, or felt my stopping distance has been compromised. I have found that the Michelin tyres I originally had lasted 30,000 miles which is value for money, but as long as the budget tyres are 50% cheaper and last 3/4's of that distance then its no worry for me. I do understand people who pay for top brands though and have no disagreements with that. Its personal preference at the end of the day. I once drove a Mercedes that had Bridgestone low profile Potenza tyres, and they needed changing every 8 to 9 months at a cost of £250 each!!! They sure stuck on corners though and maybe taking corners faster than usual grained the tyres quicker? lol :)

Well not all Potenza's are the same of course :) Like I said the RE050A's which I'm fairly sure you could get in Audi sizes have lasted 22k miles and still have between 4-5mm of tread left.

One thing I would recommend would be to use an online service like www.mytyres.co.uk (http://www.mytyres.co.uk) , www.blackcircles.com (http://www.blackcircles.com) or www.camskill.co.uk (http://www.camskill.co.uk) you can get tyres for MUCH cheaper. With mytyres and blackcircles you can arrange for them to be fitted, with camskill you can get them fitted yourself. Works out a shedload cheaper. Just as an example, on the ATS site I'd pay about £120 each for some tyres for the 500 and buying online and getting them fitted at a local tyre place youre looking at £100 so a sizeable saving. Personally I wouldn't go for the Michelin's when I can have a Dunlop or something else decent for £35 less.

Look at the ATS site, surprise surprise ;) Winter Tyres, Cold Weather Tyre | ATS Euromaster (http://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/retail-customers-cold-weather-tyres.htm)

Like you say though, personal preference :)

donKey jote
11th August 2011, 11:49
You go to work and probably look at tyres now and you have to come on here and read about them :D
a) still on holiday :D
b) don't have to come on here, or read about them :p

Daniel
11th August 2011, 11:54
a) still on holiday :D
b) don't have to come on here, or read about them :p

Lucky bar steward :p

schmenke
11th August 2011, 14:39
This thread is tyresome.

driveace
11th August 2011, 15:04
Only 6 thousand miles on a set of tyres? What are you doing to them?!?!?!?!?!? I typically pay about £9 for a valve and balancing. I fit them myself as I don't trust the shaved chimps that these places seem to employ.
You MUST read the comments CAREFULLY Daniel!!!!!!!
I did not say the tyres on my car ONLY lasted 6000 miles I said " I change them round every 6000 miles,and do alright with them"
SO by changing the wheels round ,I usually find all the tyres need replacing at the same time,as it evens the tyre wear out.AND doing 50,000 miles per year for the last 50 years,with 3 cars working as a driving school (that equalls 150,000 miles per year),i know all about tyres ,believe me!
I have been fitting tyres in the motor trade from 1956,when radials were not an option!!!!!

donKey jote
11th August 2011, 15:07
proper attire required for entry :dozey:

driveace
11th August 2011, 15:10
We are not talking about latex or females here !!!!! Its tyres don!

donKey jote
11th August 2011, 15:12
I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning :dozey:

Daniel
11th August 2011, 15:13
You MUST read the comments CAREFULLY Daniel!!!!!!!
I did not say the tyres on my car ONLY lasted 6000 miles I said " I change them round every 6000 miles,and do alright with them"
SO by changing the wheels round ,I usually find all the tyres need replacing at the same time,as it evens the tyre wear out.AND doing 50,000 miles per year for the last 50 years,with 3 cars working as a driving school (that equalls 150,000 miles per year),i know all about tyres ,believe me!
I have been fitting tyres in the motor trade from 1956,when radials were not an option!!!!!

Fair enough :) You can understand why I thought you meant you were getting rid after 6k miles though :)

I rotate my tyres once a year too. Winter tyres go on in November or so and then summer tyres get rotated when they go on when the winter is finished. Makes for predictable handling as one end of the car never has significantly more grip than the other end.

Daniel
11th August 2011, 15:14
I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning :dozey:

So do the youths in London :D

schmenke
11th August 2011, 15:24
So do the youths in London :D

Yes, but is seems that that situation is now somewhat deflated.

Arjuna
12th August 2011, 03:51
If not the cheapest tires I would run brands one or two levels better than it. :D
Luckily Falken ZE 512 were mounted in the rims when it changed, strong image of drifting :)

Rollo
12th August 2011, 04:41
I still have no idea what brand tyres are on my car

It's either Jo or Russell innit?

Daniel
12th August 2011, 09:00
I still have no idea what brand tyres are on my car, and I haven't even had the erge or the curiosity to check lol. Oops nearly, no not doing it.. :p

I'm tyred of this now.

I find it slightly strange that people put so much thought into buying a phone or a car and will only buy a recognised brand, then when it comes to what connects the car to the road they don't care. I find that rather a strange though process :)

I know it's not like you can show off your new Conti Sportcontact 3 tyres to your mates and impress them, but better tyres are usually better in terms of balancing out between fuel economy, dry grip, wear, wet grip and grip in the winter than the low end brands.

If you really don't want to pay for a top brand there are some really good mid range tyres like Uniroyal RainSport 2's and offerings from companies like Yokohama, Toyo, Vredestein, Hankook and Kumho which are probably better value for money than the low end brands.

But hey, if u think it's kool not 2 care about ur tyers then that's up 2 u I guess.

Daniel
12th August 2011, 09:06
Pirelli P3000 Energy - 175/65 R14

The Michelin Hydroedges which the 206 was sold with only comes in Metric, so I had to change the wheels and the tyres at the same time.

Meant to reply earlier, are Peugeot actually selling cars with metric rims in Australia? If so, WOW! You have no chance of getting one in anywhere but a major city if you have a catostrophic puncture :mark:

Daniel
12th August 2011, 09:58
Firstly I know the chap who puts the tyres on my car and I trust him when he say's he doesn't buy sh!t tyres, plus he knocks money off for me too. I've stood there while he's told me stories about 45 quid tyres he wouldn't trust and I've showed a vague interest, but overall I trust him when he says "those are crap and these are a tenner more but I'll do them for ther same price" .

Finally its not about being kool when I say I don't know what brand tyres are on my car, I'm just being honest as its not something I have ever had an interest in. I've seen the discussions on here about tyres in the past and understand we are all geeks to a degree, but this just isn't in my field of interest. The tyres on your car are no doubt better than the tyres on my car and I'd most probably get laughed out of your local, but thats the risk I would take lol. :)

:p

By the sounds of it, if you're buying from a trusted person he is probably selling you decent mid range tyres then. Just out of interest, have a look what tyres they are, if only to satisfy my curiosity, I command thee! :) All I was saying was that if you were literally buying the cheapest tyres you could get then this is a bad thing :) Having experienced a few cheapie cheap budget tyres in my life I would have to say that they present a genuine risk to safety. I've had some genuinely scary/interesting experiences on budget tyres. My 406 came with some Tigars and was downright dangerous, my 504 came with Cheng Shin's which were rock hard and in the wet you'd often be locking a front wheel. Mid range tyres however are acompletely different matter :)

wedge
12th August 2011, 15:56
Interesting. Caroline had two Falken 912's on her Subaru and they were terrible. Absolutely no feel at all through the steering on them and they were terrible in the wet also.

They're fine on my Celica.

MX-5 owners rate them.

It appears there's a sweetspot to them. The sidewalls are soft so you have to go up on the original air pressure and voila you regain/get better feedback.

Thinking of getting Bridgestone's equivalent which are the ER300s. They seem to do well in the wet.

Getting tyred of doing 10,000 miles on performance tyres and worrying about aquaplaning.

Daniel
12th August 2011, 16:29
They're fine on my Celica.

MX-5 owners rate them.

It appears there's a sweetspot to them. The sidewalls are soft so you have to go up on the original air pressure and voila you regain/get better feedback.

Thinking of getting Bridgestone's equivalent which are the ER300s. They seem to do well in the wet.

Getting tyred of doing 10,000 miles on performance tyres and worrying about aquaplaning.

Perhaps that's it.

One which seems to be almost universally liked is the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 which tends to do well in wet tests of course. I quite like the Vredestein Sportrac 3's on Caroline's Subaru, the front end feels much gripper than the rear, but the steering isn't quite as nice as with the Conti Premium Contact 2's on the front.

If it weren't for the fact that they're verging on dangerous in the snow, I'd recommend the Potenza RE050A's to you as they're fairly good in the rain. Mine are down between 4-5mm after 22k miles (thought they were worse than they are) now only just starting to feel a little dropoff in wet performance. A couple of days ago in torrential rain I was still able to travel along at a steady 60 on the dual carriageway. They last long and they're grippy in the summer at least :)

wedge
14th August 2011, 14:36
I'd recommend the Potenza RE050A's

They're over rated. B'stone have done well out of F1 tie up/Potenza as they're OE shod for a lot of cars, even the Ferrari Enzo!

Falken 452s are a hell of lot better and cheaper.

Rollo
14th August 2011, 15:16
Meant to reply earlier, are Peugeot actually selling cars with metric rims in Australia? If so, WOW! You have no chance of getting one in anywhere but a major city if you have a catostrophic puncture :mark:

I think that it's a captured market. They know that only imperial sized wheels and tyres are sold in Australia, so they know that when it comes time to change your tyres, they get to charge you something.
I was looking at a 407 Coupe when I bought the 206, and that even had the audacity to sell the car with alloy wheels as well.
When you're already paying more than $200 a corner for tyres, it would add up very quickly indeed.

Daniel
14th August 2011, 15:38
They're over rated. B'stone have done well out of F1 tie up/Potenza as they're OE shod for a lot of cars, even the Ferrari Enzo!

Falken 452s are a hell of lot better and cheaper.

Well I can safely say that other than the Vredestein Snowtrac 3's, the Potenza's are far and away the best tyres I've ever had in terms of grip.

Most people I know with RE050A's tend to be happy with them, the one caveat being winter performance which aint so good. But to have done 22k miles on them and only be just round half way through them is pretty good in terms of wear. I also

The big problem with tyres is that in almost all situations, a new tyre will be better than the old one in terms of wet grip and noise than a tyre which means that a lot of people get a car which has something like Michelin's, Pirelli's, Conti's or Bridgestones on it and puts a set of Wanli's or Nankang's on it and as you'd expect they're better because they have more tread on them.

Personally I place more weight on tests conducted in fairly controlled conditions with the same cars

2010 EVO Tyre Test | the online tyre guide (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-EVO-Tyre-Test.htm)

Potenza did fairly well here.

Anyway, the Subaru is now running 1 less Conti after a massive bolt killed the rear left tyre by punching a freaking massive hole through the tread. Now running an Infinity which we had in the shed. Not all that bothered as the Subaru will hopefully be going off the road soonish and it'd probably get a couple of new tyres anyway whenever it goes back on.

donKey jote
14th August 2011, 18:58
Personally I place more weight on tests conducted in fairly controlled conditions with the same cars

2010 EVO Tyre Test | the online tyre guide (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-EVO-Tyre-Test.htm)

Potenza did fairly well here.

As did both Contis with an overall 1-2.
... just sayin' ;) :bandit: :p

Daniel
14th August 2011, 18:59
As did Contis with an overall 1-2.
... just sayin' ;) :bandit: :p

I'd happily fit CSC3's if they made them in the proper load rating for my size :p Start making them in 195/45 R16 84V and I'll buy a set ;)

wedge
18th August 2011, 12:17
Most people I know with RE050A's tend to be happy with them, the one caveat being winter performance which aint so good. But to have done 22k miles on them and only be just round half way through them is pretty good in terms of wear.

Who are they?

Most Jap car, err, enthusiasts I know wouldn't dream of going back to the RE50A.

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 12:26
Tyres on the Smacker are Michelin Premicy HP XL 225/50/17's 98W. Good wear (16-18k on the fronts where all the weight and turning wear is) and 40K+ on the rears. Minimal road noise, excellent all-round grip and good fuel economy. Expensive tyres, but if you ring round, you can get them fitted etc for under £200/corner.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 12:31
Who are they?

Most Jap car, err, enthusiasts I know wouldn't dream of going back to the RE50A.

Well, different sizes, different characteristics and all. I didn't like the Falken's so I think that says a little about how tyres differ with size.

I post on Fiatforum and a firm favourite (for the winter tyre people) there are Vredestein Snowtrac's and I myself have some and love them, yet on other sites people prefer Pirelli's or Michelin's. Tis just the way things are. After a ridiculously bad set of Pirelli P400's I'll never buy Pirelli's, even though they'll be absolutely fine.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 12:48
Tyres on the Smacker are Michelin Premicy HP XL 225/50/17's 98W. Good wear (16-18k on the fronts where all the weight and turning wear is) and 40K+ on the rears. Minimal road noise, excellent all-round grip and good fuel economy. Expensive tyres, but if you ring round, you can get them fitted etc for under £200/corner.

Not a bad price and good mileage! www.mytyres.co.uk (http://www.mytyres.co.uk) do an absolute shedload of tyres in that size. Just as an indication of what you can get for less, you can get a Conti for £160 or a Uniroyal Rainsport 2 for £130. If you're a Michelin fan, Costo regularly do 20% off offers. You have to be a member though.

One thing I would just mention as well, it's always recommended that you keep your best tyres on the rear as it lessens the risk of losing the back end in the wet. I know it goes against conventional wisdom for a FWD car, but far better to understeer off and hit something with the front of the car rather than oversteer and hit the object sideways ;)

Vicki Butler Henderson explains why new tyres should go on the rear - YouTube (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl5Y sQ_a_ijA&ei=VPtMTumHNYfLhAfg3MTJBg&usg=AFQjCNH8tP8Lp-7jsuRhB63pQEfJPzEgtw)

That said, who needs to pay £200 for ONE Michelin when you get get a goodride for £48.50 EACH? :rotflmao:

Details: Goodride SA-05 225/50 R17 98W XL BSW - mytyres.co.uk (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=70990585.110.4883&typ=R-148453&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=50&Felge=17&Speed=W&weiter=100&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=50&sort_by=preis_down&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So)

Christ almighty, which plonker would put those on his car? :mark:

Daniel
18th August 2011, 12:53
Oh and also, Camskill are very cheap for tyres too :)

Same Michelin's are £171.30 from them. You have to get them fitted of course, but the saving is worth it. Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 17" :: R17" - 225/50/17, 225/50 R 17 :: (http://camskill.co.uk/m54b0s555p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_17_inch_R17_inch_-_225_50_17_225_50_R_17)

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 13:20
Oh and also, Camskill are very cheap for tyres too :)

Same Michelin's are £171.30 from them. You have to get them fitted of course, but the saving is worth it. Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 17" :: R17" - 225/50/17, 225/50 R 17 :: (http://camskill.co.uk/m54b0s555p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_17_inch_R17_inch_-_225_50_17_225_50_R_17)

I've got a Costco card through work luckily, but they were not (believe it or not) as cheap as the online price from Kwik Fit. As a rule, I price match with Kwik Fit, take a screen shot, email it to SMC Ford who then match the price. Saves about £50 a corner on the dealer's price!!!

The only rubber I buy from Costco however is, errrrrrrrrr, ummmmmmm, well, you know....... ;)

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 13:22
Not a bad price and good mileage!

I do, however, drive like a pu55y. My aim is to get 700 miles from a tank a fuel, but the gentle driving has the bonus of being easy on the tyres. And the longevity of the tyres is even better, given that the wife uses the car for the school run and work when it is raining. She walks the kids to school in the dry, but work is too far to walk.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 13:34
I do, however, drive like a pu55y. My aim is to get 700 miles from a tank a fuel, but the gentle driving has the bonus of being easy on the tyres. And the longevity of the tyres is even better, given that the wife uses the car for the school run and work when it is raining. She walks the kids to school in the dry, but work is too far to walk.

Still, that's go for a big turbo dismal. I drive like a pussy most of the time too, though I tend to carry a fair bit of speed through corners so as to save fuel by not braking. Helps with economy and on a good day I can do over 500 miles on a tank which is good for just over 40 litres of petrol!

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 13:43
Still, that's go for a big turbo dismal. I drive like a pussy most of the time too, though I tend to carry a fair bit of speed through corners so as to save fuel by not braking. Helps with economy and on a good day I can do over 500 miles on a tank which is good for just over 40 litres of petrol!

Apparently, a lot of the 1.8TDCi mondeo owners can eek out 700+ miles.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 13:53
Apparently, a lot of the 1.8TDCi mondeo owners can eek out 700+ miles.

Yeah, but the fuel tank in that is 70 litres ;) I used to get 630 out of that much dismal in my 406 so I wouldn't say it's really that great to be honest :p

Daniel
18th August 2011, 13:54
I've got a Costco card through work luckily, but they were not (believe it or not) as cheap as the online price from Kwik Fit. As a rule, I price match with Kwik Fit, take a screen shot, email it to SMC Ford who then match the price. Saves about £50 a corner on the dealer's price!!!

The only rubber I buy from Costco however is, errrrrrrrrr, ummmmmmm, well, you know....... ;)

Yes, I have noticed the bulk rubber :laugh:

Price matching is fantastic :up: I get my Fiat dealer to price match the local independent garage we go to for labour rates. Dealer stamp in the service book, technicians who have loads of knowledge of the car and independent level prices. WIN! :) If you're not price matching you're paying too much.

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 13:55
Yeah, but the fuel tank in that is 70 litres ;) I used to get 630 out of that much dismal in my 406 so I wouldn't say it's really that great to be honest :p

Same as the Smacker!

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 13:56
technicians who have loads of knowledge of the car .

You've not been to a Ford dealers recently then!!!!!

Daniel
18th August 2011, 14:05
You've not been to a Ford dealers recently then!!!!!

:p

To be fair I think there are a lot of good technicians around. When I got my 500 back from its last service the car was running rather smoothly, the door hinges, battery clamp and various other rust prone parts nuts, bolts etc of the car had all been covered in a waxy blue substance. It was probably about as good a job as I could have done if I'd spent twice as much time on it.

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 14:12
Tyres on the Smacker are Michelin Premicy HP XL 225/50/17's 98W.
only 17" on a Smacker? No wonder you drive like a pu55y :p

Daniel
18th August 2011, 14:14
Same as the Smacker!

I honestly don't think that diesel is the way forward as perhaps it once was especially now that it's a fair bit more expensive than petrol. If you you a smallish turbo petrol I reckon it could equal those figures if driven carefully. Silly wide tyres are also partly to blame. I'd estimate that my car is about 10% more efficient on its winter tyres which are 175's than on its 195 summer tyres. Dismal's also tend to kill their tyres more quickly due to the torque and extra weight and if you've got a DPF you'll be changing your oil more frequently.

There's a guy on fuelly http://www.fuelly.com/driver/j1mbo/500/annual whose diesel 500 is about 2-3p cheaper than my car to fuel per mile (11-12p vs 9p), but seeing as he has to change oil more often, he's already had to change a set of tyres and is probably on his way to another set soon, I think the costs probably even out and he'll never make up for the £1200 extra for the diesel model/

Daniel
18th August 2011, 14:14
only 17" on a Smacker? No wonder you drive like a pu55y :p

What is your Smacks rolling on Donkey? :D You got winter tyres for it yet?

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 14:30
18" unfortunately... we don't get a set of free tyres each year anymore so I drive like an even bigger pu55y :dozey:

No Winter tyres yet... I usually change around mid October.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 14:35
18" unfortunately... we don't get a set of free tyres each year anymore so I drive like an even bigger pu55y :dozey:

No Winter tyres yet... I usually change around mid October.

No free tyres? That sucks.

I didn't mean have you put them on yet :p I meant have you got some, you should try some Snowtrac 3's they're good :p

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 14:36
I honestly don't think that diesel is the way forward as perhaps it once was especially now that it's a fair bit more expensive than petrol. If you you a smallish turbo petrol I reckon it could equal those figures if driven carefully. Silly wide tyres are also partly to blame. I'd estimate that my car is about 10% more efficient on its winter tyres which are 175's than on its 195 summer tyres. Dismal's also tend to kill their tyres more quickly due to the torque and extra weight and if you've got a DPF you'll be changing your oil more frequently.

There's a guy on fuelly Red Diesel 500 Annual Reports | Fuelly (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/j1mbo/500/annual) whose diesel 500 is about 2-3p cheaper than my car to fuel per mile (11-12p vs 9p), but seeing as he has to change oil more often, he's already had to change a set of tyres and is probably on his way to another set soon, I think the costs probably even out and he'll never make up for the £1200 extra for the diesel model/

Interesting! But, will the petrol engine outlast the disiesel engine?

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 14:39
you should try some Snowtrac 3's they're good :p

not a chance... I don't know what's in them ! :p

Daniel
18th August 2011, 15:47
Interesting! But, will the petrol engine outlast the disiesel engine?

No reason why not if it's properly maintained.

Daniel
18th August 2011, 15:50
not a chance... I don't know what's in them ! :p

Surely working for a tyre company you'd know there's air in them? :mark:

Allyc85
18th August 2011, 15:54
On my Ford Focus ive got Toyo Proxes t1r's. They grip like **** to a blanket in wet or dry, but even with perfect wheel alignment they still seem to wear the outer edges alot so might look for something different when the car needs a new set of boots!

donKey jote
18th August 2011, 15:55
not much air in the tyres themselves... most of it is trapped between the tyres and the rims :p

Daniel
18th August 2011, 15:58
not much air in the tyres themselves... most of it is trapped between the tyres and the rims :p

That's why you travel the world testing tyres and I'm sitting at a desk doing IT support :up:

ioan
18th August 2011, 18:07
Summer tires are Dunlop SP Sports on mine, 40000 km on them and they will most probably keep it up till end of November when the Espace arrives with new tires.
These are excellent tires with great grip and they give you great feel when driving them on the limit and over it.

SGWilko
18th August 2011, 19:18
Summer tires are Dunlop SP Sports on mine, 40000 km on them and they will most probably keep it up till end of November when the Espace arrives with new tires.
These are excellent tires with great grip and they give you great feel when driving them on the limit and over it.

Espace! I am sorry to hear that. Many commiserations. :p

donKey jote
19th August 2011, 07:52

poor lad wouldn't listen to us, would he? :p

SGWilko
19th August 2011, 08:46
poor lad wouldn't listen to us, would he? :p

No helping some folk, eh? :D

ioan
19th August 2011, 14:48

Don't be sorry, luxury comes at a price nowadays, and as Renault put it, and rightly so, space is the real luxury.

SGWilko
19th August 2011, 15:10
Don't be sorry, luxury comes at a price nowadays, and as Renault put it, and rightly so, space is the real luxury.

Yes, but the Espace is engineered like the TARDIS, only in reverse....!

donKey jote
19th August 2011, 20:35
We can only hope it's not white...

Allyc85
19th August 2011, 21:16
Or silver! Every other car on the road seems to be rep-mobile silver!

donKey jote
19th August 2011, 21:24
ioan, the silver van man ?
naa, wouldn't have the same ring :p

Daniel
19th August 2011, 21:31
What's wrong with white? :p

donKey jote
19th August 2011, 21:45
white car dan is ok...
white van ioan is :laugh:

Robinho
19th August 2011, 21:57
I had some Goodyear eagle F1's on my MG ZS before selling it, then i replaced some worn crap with Toyo T1r's on my Focus ST170 which I replaced with the same again, I very much liked them. I'm now running a Vectra SRI (diesel) which looked nice on the 19" wheels until I investigated prices for 235/35 R19 tyres and discovered for Toyos i'd be looking at around £180/corner and for some Contisports or something "premium" I was looking at well over £200/corner (fitted), which is simply ridculous for a vectra which is well "overtyred" with 235 widths on. It was running Nexens which were surprisingly ok, but I am tomorrow getting some Avon ZZ3's fitted which are decent enough to not be ****e and cheap enough that I can afford to put new tyres on. Looked at Uniroyal rainsports too but they were getting on for £100 more for the 4.

ioan
19th August 2011, 22:12
white car dan is ok...
white van ioan is :laugh:

The A4 is blue and the Espace will be blue also! :p

ioan
19th August 2011, 22:15
I had some Goodyear eagle F1's on my MG ZS before selling it, then i replaced some worn crap with Toyo T1r's on my Focus ST170 which I replaced with the same again, I very much liked them. I'm now running a Vectra SRI (diesel) which looked nice on the 19" wheels until I investigated prices for 235/35 R19 tyres and discovered for Toyos i'd be looking at around £180/corner and for some Contisports or something "premium" I was looking at well over £200/corner (fitted), which is simply ridculous for a vectra which is well "overtyred" with 235 widths on. It was running Nexens which were surprisingly ok, but I am tomorrow getting some Avon ZZ3's fitted which are decent enough to not be ****e and cheap enough that I can afford to put new tyres on. Looked at Uniroyal rainsports too but they were getting on for £100 more for the 4.

When it comes to rubber, get the best you can in terms of performance as these are the most important to you in terms of safety when sh!t happens, and it always happens when you least expect it.

Daniel
19th August 2011, 23:10

The whole overtyring thing is annoying, but it keeps Donkey in SMax's so I guess there are some good points to it :p

My 500 for instance with the tyres it's got on it now (195/45 R16 84V) costs £93 for Michelin's, if it had 15" steel wheels on it a Michelin would be £68 and to be honest for most people out there the 175 will be fine. My 500 does 10% better on fuel with 175's on......

tfp
20th August 2011, 00:15
The whole overtyring thing is annoying, but it keeps Donkey in SMax's so I guess there are some good points to it :p

My 500 for instance with the tyres it's got on it now (195/45 R16 84V) costs £93 for Michelin's, if it had 15" steel wheels on it a Michelin would be £68 and to be honest for most people out there the 175 will be fine. My 500 does 10% better on fuel with 175's on......

Have you ever had the Vredestein sportrac 2's? I had them on my Impreza a while back, I loved them,to the point where I rated them better than the Toyos I had. Just happens I'm not far off a new set, was thinking about Vred 3's or Yoko Paradas...

Daniel
20th August 2011, 01:54
Nope but the Subaru has some Sportrac 3's on it and they're good :)

donKey jote
20th August 2011, 10:54

It took me 10 Scènic years to save up for it, so y'all are clearly not overtyring anywhere near as much as you should be :p :andrea:

Daniel
20th August 2011, 11:37
It took me 10 Scènic years to save up for it, so y'all are clearly not overtyring anywhere near as much as you should be :p :andrea:

OK Donks, I hear you :p I'll get some 17" wheels for the 500 and put some 205/40 R17's on. I'll never have to brake again and they're £30 a corner more expensive. Will that help? :D

donKey jote
20th August 2011, 11:40
yep thanks... only another 10 years until I get my R-Class :p

ioan
20th August 2011, 11:59
yep thanks... only another 10 years until I get my R-Class :p

I thought you are going for a T5 next with all those kids and billy's missus! :p

donKey jote
20th August 2011, 12:34
a van? Not a chance ! :crazy: :p

(and no towbar either, billy's missus can stay put in her trailer)

SGWilko
20th August 2011, 14:13
Espace will be blue also! :p

Your language will be blue when the realisation sets in that it handles like a tanker with broken internal baffles and underinflated tyres running on ice with a thin layer of water on top...... :laugh:

(I may have exagerated a little, but not much)

ioan
20th August 2011, 22:34
Your language will be blue when the realisation sets in that it handles like a tanker with broken internal baffles and underinflated tyres running on ice with a thin layer of water on top...... :laugh:

(I may have exagerated a little, but not much)

Nah, I'll get the right tires for it, no cheapo here! :D

SGWilko
22nd August 2011, 09:40
Nah, I'll get the right tires for it, no cheapo here! :D

You'll need to change the car, not the tyres to rectify the ride on those French buses!!! ;)

In fact, I think even the Zafira handles better than an Espace, and the Zafira is pants!!! :p

ioan
23rd August 2011, 21:37
And you learned that on your Fiesta!