PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar Staying on ABC/ESPN

DBell
10th August 2011, 14:33
According to Cavin, IndyCar has signed a deal with ABC/ESPN through 2018. More like an extension because it's the same deal as the one IndyCar has now. The 500 and 4 additional races and it's an exclusive deal. That just about coincides with the length of the Versus contract that's left, doesn't it?

So all the talk and predictions of NBC riding to the rescue of IndyCar can cease. What we have now is going to be what we have for a long while, assuming IndyCar can continue to survive at currant levels of marketing exposure.

IndyCar extends pact with ABC/ESPN | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110810/SPORTS0107/108100374)

nigelred5
10th August 2011, 14:55
Well now isnt' that just peachy. No cross promotion of races, a screwed up television schedule on 2,3, sometimes 4 different channels from one week to the next no one can follow and a hodgepodge of a broadcast and production team with no consistency. Hopefully they will re-arrange the races ABC/ESPN covers to only be the races leading up to the 500, then switch to Versus and stay there. This tells me Comcast doesn't want to pony up any more to take the rest of the schedule to NBC sports. I'f heard the re-naming of Versus and Comcast sports stations is delayed...

I can't argue that the ratings aren't currently higher on ABC/ESPN than Versus(who the he!! picked that name for the channel anyway???), but who says they wouldn't be similar or improved if Everything was within one family of networks, and not spread across intense competitors. Long and short, they have made it clear noone is happy with the exposure they are getting from Versus and Comcast has already laid one hell of check out there for some pretty poor viewership numbers. 2018 is long time...

Scotty G.
10th August 2011, 15:28
Randy sure showed em' who's boss!

If the sport had anyone watching it, maybe networks would care about televising more then 1 race.

Its the Indy 500 and 16 Club Races.

00steven
10th August 2011, 15:41
This is horrible news for the future of American open wheel racing.

At best NBC Sports will gain stability in it's programming rescructure and maybe put a few races on NBC, but I doubt it.

DBell
10th August 2011, 15:44
This is horrible news for the future of American open wheel racing.

At best NBC Sports will gain stability in it's programming rescructure and maybe put a few races on NBC, but I doubt it.

It's an exclusive deal, so NBC can't show races on their network.

NickFalzone
10th August 2011, 16:29
The only silver lining in this is that, since the Comcast-NBC merger, it is possible that the VS audience/ratings will go up a bit. Along with that, the ABC/ESPN ratings have been decent this season... However, I find the ABC/ESPN broadcasts lacking, and no one is really watching the VS ones (which are quite well produced). I don't see this deal as a huge death blow to IndyCar, but I'll admit I had hoped/expected some kind of better deal to come out of this merger.. instead, more of the same.

FIAT1
10th August 2011, 17:26
Not good. Onother tv partner dominated by nascar. Indycar made a bad decision.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2011, 17:59
I think it is a bit more complicated and I suspect that Randy had his hands tied. This isn't a TV property people are killing themselves for...you dance with the girl that brings you when you are not drawing big ratings...

ykiki
10th August 2011, 18:09
The two things that hit me right away are these:

1. (obvious) Money. ABC is still paying so IndyCar signed up.

2. (not-so obvious) Randy Bernard attends the races, so he doesn't watch the broadcasts. I'm not sure if he's seen/understands how BAD the ABC coverage really is for the fans.

NickFalzone
10th August 2011, 19:26

2. (not-so obvious) Randy Bernard attends the races, so he doesn't watch the broadcasts. I'm not sure if he's seen/understands how BAD the ABC coverage really is for the fans.

1. This is true and a good thing.

2. We don't know that. In fact, I vaguely recall a comment by him about the quality (or lack of) on certain broadcasts. Regardless, my guess is that his hands were tied. The fact that IndyCar is getting another tv contract with ABC/ESPN until 2018 may not be great, but it's a hell of a lot better than some other alternatives.. like NO broadcast partner contract and stuck on VS full-time except for Indy. This is middle of the road news, not a death knell, and not cause for great celebration.

Marbles
10th August 2011, 22:16

The first two thoughts I had were Scott Goodyear and Marty Reid... Gaaawwd.

DBell
12th August 2011, 22:31
It possibly was the only decision available. I don't think anyone has been hammering the doors down to acquire the broadcast rights.

Now if they can just get the Versus production folks to do the races for ABC, that would be a big help.

I saw this on another site. It had no link, but I think it may of been from Mark C's site.

NBC shut out of bidding

Jon Miller, president of programming for NBC Sports and Versus, said Thursday his company didn't waste time considering a bid to become the network home of IndyCar because negotiations never opened.
ABC/ESPN, which holds the rights to such coverage through 2012, had an exclusive period to negotiate, and that was extended through the signing of a new deal that runs through 2018.
Perhaps it's just as well, because Miller said it would have been challenging for NBC to line up network time slots

If true, then NBC never got a chance to bid.

As for Versus/NBC Sports sharing production with ABC, considering the rivalry between ESPN and NBC, I don't think that will fly.

NickFalzone
13th August 2011, 02:09
Dbell, that's interesting. I find it hilarious that ABC/ESPN is "protecting" a property that they treat like an afterthought at best during promos and actual races. Although Miller says NBC may not have had a spot for IndyCar, the fact that he's even discussing it suggests there might have been a deal to be made. When I think ABC sports for the next 5 years I get a sick feeling in my stomach, it is just such a lazy broadcast.

Marbles
13th August 2011, 02:20
NBC would have been concerned about preempting Meet The Press.

DBell
13th August 2011, 02:42
Dbell, that's interesting. I find it hilarious that ABC/ESPN is "protecting" a property that they treat like an afterthought at best during promos and actual races. Although Miller says NBC may not have had a spot for IndyCar, the fact that he's even discussing it suggests there might have been a deal to be made. When I think ABC sports for the next 5 years I get a sick feeling in my stomach, it is just such a lazy broadcast.

Possibly IndyCar became more important to ABC/ESPN when Versus became part of NBC and is to become NBC Sports. This article isn't about IndyCar, but about the fierce rivalry that exist between ESPN and NBC.

Rivalry with NBC has a starring role in new book on ESPN - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/05/23/Media/Sports-Media-column.aspx)

Did ABC sweetened the deal with IndyCar to keep the 500 away from NBC? We'll likely never know what the thinking was or what the motivations were. It is what it is. Hopefully ABC will improve their coverage, but I wouldn't bet the grocery money on it.

NickFalzone
13th August 2011, 02:49
Hopefully ABC will improve their coverage, but I wouldn't bet the grocery money on it.

I wouldn't bet a wrinkled dollar on that lol.

Marbles
13th August 2011, 03:08
Did ABC sweetened the deal with IndyCar to keep the 500 away from NBC? We'll likely never know what the thinking was or what the motivations were. It is what it is.

I never knew about the extraordinary hate-on ABC and NBC had for each other but how much honey would it really take to sweeten that deal? Does Indycar know who they want to dance with?

Hopefully ABC will improve their coverage, but I wouldn't bet the grocery money on it.

Actually, this years retrospective opening to the Indy 500 was probably the best thing I've seen ABC do in many years... but then they had the usual cast.

As an aside, I'm glad to see the broadcasts talking more about the history this year than they have in years past. As a kid I was just as enthralled, if not more, by the history of the sport than the present day stars.

NickFalzone
13th August 2011, 03:22
Well, I do agree that the opening to the 500 this year was excellent, and occasionally ABC has some nicely produced pieces on their regular season races... but the nuts and bolts, the actual racing coverage, commentary, etc. is severely lackluster.

DBell
13th August 2011, 03:49
I never knew about the extraordinary hate-on ABC and NBC had for each other but how much honey would it really take to sweeten that deal? Does Indycar know who they want to dance with?

That's a good point. It wouldn't take much to make the deal better. Promise of better coverage and a little more money. Or perhaps a incentive based agreement where if the 500 hits certain ratings marks it makes more money. And if ABC tells that Randy they have to accept the deal before the negotiating period ends or ABC is out, then Randy is in a tough position. If he says no to ABC, then he would be really stepping into the unknown. With IndyCars tv ratings in recent years, that would be a significant risk. I do remember Robin Miller saying something about NBC wanting to move the 500 to a different day, Saturday or Monday, because of sports commitments they already have that Sunday.

Actually, this years retrospective opening to the Indy 500 was probably the best thing I've seen ABC do in many years... but then they had the usual cast.

I did too. ABC does that type of thing really well.

As an aside, I'm glad to see the broadcasts talking more about the history this year than they have in years past. As a kid I was just as enthralled, if not more, by the history of the sport than the present day stars.

I agree. Hell, I still feel that way. One reason I loved baseball so much as a kid was it's rich history.

nigelred5
13th August 2011, 16:22

Any network can refine a good script and narrative and spend 10's of hours editing a video retrospective.. i don't think that has ever been ABC's weakpoint. It's their broadcast of the race. There's no excitement or enthusiasm in the booth, and I alwayws think of that skit on SNL with Vinnie Vedecci with the camera guys sitting around eating meatballs and smoking instead of manning the cameras. They need a serious race fan in the trailer following the action.

I have to say, the series itself is a little "stale" however they do seem to be working on creating some drama.

nigelred5
13th August 2011, 16:35

I think that is a spot on characterization of the ABC/ESPN broadcasts... lazy, going through the motions. I don't know that ABC is as much protecting a property as they were interested in keeping it away from a competetor in the sports market. ABC knows that Comcast/NBC had lofty goals of knocking ESPN off the top rung of the sports ladder and they have a huge advantage in the regional and local sports cable channels. As long as the INDYCAR broadcast deal on NBC does not include the 500, it's never going to rate much higher than niche broadcasting. I doubt the would have been any less enthused about INDYCAR if they were linked with speed and FOX. That said, NBC laid out why they weren't even really given a chance to bid. The debate on changing the day of the 500 is old and long; The George family has made it pretty clear the 500 isn't moving from Memorial Day Sunday unless mother nature rains it out and NBC said they couldn't accomodate a sunday event on NBC's main network. I"m confident RB was well aware of this.

Dr. Krogshöj
14th August 2011, 12:51
I wish ESPN grabbed Paul Page from their NHRA broadcasts for the five ABC IndyCar events to replace Marty Reid. Or John Hindaugh from ALMS, although I doubt he would leave sportscars. But both work for the network already so I don't think this is too far-fetched.

(Obviously, the best option would be IndyCar returning to EuroSport so I don't have to download the US broadcast torrents.)

nigelred5
15th August 2011, 12:41
I was watching a video of the 1979 Trenton CART race the other day and the NBC sports world crew was a MUCH younger Paul Page and Gary Gerould. I always really liked Paul Page on the CART broadcasts. I still have the INDYCAR RACING II video game and PP is the voice of the video game "I'm Paul Page, and THIS is INDYCAR RACING II"

PAcartfan
16th August 2011, 15:24
[quote="DBell"]Possibly IndyCar became more important to ABC/ESPN when Versus became part of NBC and is to become NBC Sports. This article isn't about IndyCar, but about the fierce rivalry that exist between ESPN and NBC.

Unfortunately, I think it's gone the other way. Now that the four-letter has Indy locked in for awhile they can afford "not" to care at all about the series except for 5 hours a year. After watching the NH broadcast- delivered by ESPN- I flipped over to ESPNEWS. I had to wait almost an hour to see the pantywaist pinhead give about 15 seconds of the worst sports reporting I've ever seen. They showed a quick clip of the princess spinning and taking out everyone, then a quick snippet of Will and his emotions all the while basically saying "tisk- tisk, play nice." He finished by saying "...somebody won."

I was shocked at how he belittled the sport, the series, and the athletes who were risking life and limb. It was poor. Very, very poor. I wish I had a recording of it to post. What a joke! And this is from the very network that is so "proud" to carry the IZOD Indycar Series...

00steven
17th August 2011, 20:08
I wish ESPN grabbed Paul Page from their NHRA broadcasts for the five ABC IndyCar events to replace Marty Reid. Or John Hindaugh from ALMS, although I doubt he would leave sportscars. But both work for the network already so I don't think this is too far-fetched.

(Obviously, the best option would be IndyCar returning to EuroSport so I don't have to download the US broadcast torrents.)

It is a crime that ESPN took Paul Page away from us and threw him into the NHRA telecast. Page is an amazing broadcaster and I'll never forget how well he handled the tragic passing of Greg Moore.