PDA

View Full Version : Sky TV outside UK

CaptainRaiden
4th August 2011, 17:59
Since the F1, MotoGP and Cricket coverage is pretty much effed up for me where I am currently in Europe, I'm looking to get some Sky sports channels outside of UK, Googled it a bit and came across this website:

Sky Cards - Sky TV in Europe - Sky cards - Sky Decoders - UK TV (http://www.skycards.eu)

I'm looking to watch F1 next year, and hopefully some cricket as well. I don't mind paying as long as I get to watch sports with English commentary. It says if I buy that card, or the HD box, and based on whatever package I choose, I could have around 300 channels. Has anybody in Europe, outside of UK, tried anything like this? Does it work or is that website a scam?

donKey jote
4th August 2011, 18:30
No technical reason why it shouldn't work so long as you can see the satellite footprint and you have a large enough dish. Not sure what size dish you'd need in Romania, but I'm sure you could google it. In Madrid I might know people with a 1.8m dish :erm: :andrea: .
Legally they only have the airwaves license for the UK, but so long as you pay up and they are "confident" enough that you have a UK "address", I guess they don't have much interest in checking that you actually live where you're supposed to ;)
Any questions about Spanish PayTV in Germany I won't be able to answer either, except to say you would also get the normal channels and unbiased F1 and MotoGP coverage :p

Robinho
4th August 2011, 19:21
not sure where you are, but yes, with a decent enough sized dish you can get Sky, you would need a UK adress to send the viewing card to and it to be registered to, but that should be it, not sure about the subscription channels

driveace
4th August 2011, 21:16
I get the very same Sky programmes in Spain as I do here in Uk.I take my sky (Pace) box and card,and have to use a 1 metre dish ,with a very good LNB

donKey jote
5th August 2011, 00:59
Sorry cap'n, if you're in Eastern Europe you might be fooked without a pretty massive dish :eek:
Sky TV Reception Advice, Dish Sizes, Receive Sky Digital in Europe (http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/skytv_reception_europe.htm)
You'll have to go internet :dozey:

555-04Q2
5th August 2011, 15:35
Since the F1, MotoGP and Cricket coverage is pretty much effed up for me where I am currently in Europe, I'm looking to get some Sky sports channels outside of UK, Googled it a bit and came across this website:

Sky Cards - Sky TV in Europe - Sky cards - Sky Decoders - UK TV (http://www.skycards.eu)

I'm looking to watch F1 next year, and hopefully some cricket as well. I don't mind paying as long as I get to watch sports with English commentary. It says if I buy that card, or the HD box, and based on whatever package I choose, I could have around 300 channels. Has anybody in Europe, outside of UK, tried anything like this? Does it work or is that website a scam?

Get DSTV. Best satellite television coverage money can buy! I am yet to see anything better anywhere else in the world.

ioan
6th August 2011, 01:24
Satelite dish, Sky TV, Pay TV?!

There is this thing called internet, you can find everything you need on there if you know where to look and for a fair price too.

CaptainRaiden
6th August 2011, 01:56
No technical reason why it shouldn't work so long as you can see the satellite footprint and you have a large enough dish. Not sure what size dish you'd need in Romania, but I'm sure you could google it. In Madrid I might know people with a 1.8m dish :erm: :andrea: .
Legally they only have the airwaves license for the UK, but so long as you pay up and they are "confident" enough that you have a UK "address", I guess they don't have much interest in checking that you actually live where you're supposed to ;)
Any questions about Spanish PayTV in Germany I won't be able to answer either, except to say you would also get the normal channels and unbiased F1 and MotoGP coverage :p

not sure where you are, but yes, with a decent enough sized dish you can get Sky, you would need a UK adress to send the viewing card to and it to be registered to, but that should be it, not sure about the subscription channels

Whoops, I spent some time reading their FAQ and sounds like a pretty pricey affair. I have one of those tiny dish antennas, but I guess it's not enough. I'd have to invest in a bigger one, something bigger than 1 meter, and probably get an engineer to come and configure the antenna with one of those location mapping thingies. I guess I'd have to stick to watching low programming quality with commentary I don't understand for now. :dozey:

CaptainRaiden
6th August 2011, 02:02
Get DSTV. Best satellite television coverage money can buy! I am yet to see anything better anywhere else in the world.

I don't think they let you watch that outside SA? Plus getting their card or HD box could be quite pricey. Anyway, if I really wanted to go for something like that, I'd go for Tata Sky from India. They've got a $hitload of channels, and I have their HD media box back home, I just have to get that here and get the dish antenna pointing to their coordinates and watch F1, MotoGP, WSBK, Cricket, NBA, all tennis grand slams ALL included in the package. ;)

ioan
6th August 2011, 02:16
I guess I'd have to stick to watching low programming quality with commentary I don't understand for now. :dozey:

As far as I remember the commentary is not worth trying to understand it.

CaptainRaiden
6th August 2011, 02:26
Satelite dish, Sky TV, Pay TV?!

There is this thing called internet, you can find everything you need on there if you know where to look and for a fair price too.

Da, da, da, uh oh, here comes the smartass. :rolleyes:

Point me to a legal website where I can watch F1 in HD quality or even near HD quality, ioan. Oh, and it shouldn't have downtime or server issues, and my 25 Mbps "broadband" connection should be able to easily stream it without interruptions. If it was this easy, don't you think I'd have paid for the MotoGP subscription at MotoGP.com? Their live streaming stinks, no matter how fast your connection is, constant feed cuts, disconnections etc.

As for free, don't tell me about Justin TV or some other crapola website, or those numerous ad riddled blogs with hugely sub-par pixelated quality, where streams keep getting shut down by FOM every 3 minutes. PM me if you actually know of some secret amazing free web site where I can watch races in "good" quality and English commentary.

I can very easily torrent races recorded in HD, but I wanna watch the races live, and not wait a day until they upload it. And believe it or not, I want to legally "pay" for my entertainment. Besides, those dedicated torrent sites need a lot of seeding to keep your ratio up, something for which I don't have time.

And it's not just that, besides F1 which I'm forced to watch on RTL channel with German commentary, I want to watch MotoGP, Cricket and NBA, which I haven't been able to watch AT ALL in Romania for the last two years, because well, cricket and NBA don't exist on the TV here, and the exclusive rights to show MotoGP belong to some cable company, and freakin football is everywhere.

Anything else?

ioan
6th August 2011, 10:09
You call me a smart a$$, for giving you an honest tip and then come up with a list of things that would cost a leg in any European country?!
HD? Does it hurt your eyes and ears to watch it like anyone else?
If anything you are delusional and frustrated. I would suggest you move to another place where you are paid like a king and everything comes for free, then you might calm down.

For what it's worth I get everything I can think of on the internet and with a DVBT receiver, but then again I am not unhappy without HD.

PS: I'll be in Romania for 3 days next week, if you wish I could lecture you about how to google for good quality streaming of any sport you want to watch, LOL.

Dave B
6th August 2011, 10:23
He's got a point though ioan. Who really wants to watch sport (or indeed any action) on a crappy web stream? It's ok for the most casual of fans but far from ideal for anybody who actually appreciates good coverage.

Andrewmcm
6th August 2011, 10:36
I do watch some sneaky NASCAR on streams. It's certainly not HD quality and I'm not sufficiently interested in NASCAR to pay for the subscription channel in the UK. I wouldn't fancy watching F1 (something that I do care about) on a stream - you're very much in the lap of the internet gods as far as quality and durability of feeds goes.

CaptainRaiden
6th August 2011, 12:36
You call me a smart a$$, for giving you an honest tip.

There is this thing called internet.

I could lecture you about how to google for good quality streaming of any sport you want to watch, LOL.

Oh yes, you don't come off as a smartass at all. :dozey: Also, internet research is part of my job, so I could pretty much school you in "Googling" as well. So far in your post, as always, there's only bull$hit. Where's the "backing up" of your claims ioan? You haven't given me a link to a single legal F1 streaming website, neither have I received a PM from you about a good *cough* not legal *cough* one either. And remember, it should not pixelate on my 42 inch LCD, shouldn't get disconnected, and shouldn't get blocked by FOM or Dorna. I have a list of over 50 streaming websites and blogs that stream my favorite sports for free, so I don't need your help. I could give the list to you if you want. LOL LOL LOL

Does adding LOL or :laugh: add any weight to my post? No it doesn't.

You call me a smart a$$, for giving you an honest tip and then come up with a list of things that would cost a leg in any European country?!
HD? Does it hurt your eyes and ears to watch it like anyone else?

Eh? If it doesn't cost a leg in India, why should it cost that much here? Also, FYI, I have been streaming and torrenting enough MotoGP, Cricket and NBA in the past two years to know exactly how tiresome and annoying it can be. I have a 42 inch Full HD kickass TV, I want to watch sports in good quality, not crouch in front of the laptop finding new streams every 15 minutes. Do you have a problem with that?!

If anything you are delusional and frustrated. I would suggest you move to another place where you are paid like a king and everything comes for free, then you might calm down.

Not that I'm surprised by your usual outbursts, but you could have done a bit better here ioan. Also, a little brush up on comprehension skills would help. Where did I say I want everything for free? I said I'm willing to pay for it, didn't I? Are you slow? The only issue is getting a dish antenna and a guy to come and install it, which I doubt I'll be able to find where I am right now. Also, I don't get "paid" here, I have my own business in India which I manage through the internet and phone, and am here only for my wife, waiting for her papers to get done so we can move back. Too much hassle and money to watch my favorite sports, when we're only in this country for at best one more year.

For what it's worth I get everything I can think of on the internet and with a DVBT receiver, but then again I am not unhappy without HD.

I have been streaming and torrenting MotoGP, NBA playoffs, Cricket matches, other programming and occasional F1 races over the past two years. Hell, I streamed the Cricket World Cup and watched the quarter finals and semis in patchy, pixelated, jerky quality. Cricket matches are 7-8 hours long, so none of the private trackers upload full matches, they only upload highlights. Even then you're at their mercy for which match they'd actually upload. And just forget about the public trackers like Pirate Bay or other stuff, you're again at the uploader's mercy, and might have to wait a week. Couldn't watch India win the World Cup live, because of course ALL the streaming websites' bandwidth got bottlenecked because of too many users. So, I had to read an hour later about India winning the World Cup. :) Would this have happened if I had a Sky Sports subscription? NO.

Also, as someone who has watched live sports in HD, trust me, you don't wanna go back to crappy streams. As Dave B and Andrew said, nobody wants to watch sports that they care about on web streams. As for the DVB/T receivers, I have one from UPC, and I have done extensive research to conclude that none of the Romanian cable companies show all the sports that I want to watch. So, if you're comfortable watching your favorite sports in crap quality, ioan, then good for you, but don't tell others what they should do, because I've already been there, and done that.

ioan
6th August 2011, 17:03
Just out of curiosity why don't you simply check this:

Sky tv Romania Get a Sky card for Romania Sky card Romania (http://storesatellite.com/sky-tv-romania.php)

instead of losing your time trying to prove me wrong. :rolleyes:

ioan
6th August 2011, 17:13
I do watch some sneaky NASCAR on streams. It's certainly not HD quality and I'm not sufficiently interested in NASCAR to pay for the subscription channel in the UK. I wouldn't fancy watching F1 (something that I do care about) on a stream - you're very much in the lap of the internet gods as far as quality and durability of feeds goes.

F1 is free to air in most European countries so it really is easy to watch.
As I do not even own a TV set, just a few laptops and a 24 inch screen, I use a DVBT receiver for what can be watched on TV and I search for a stream if I want to watch something that isn't on TV (like the 24 hours of Spa last week for example).
As for the commentary I do not really care about the language as I watch the races for what they are not for the commentary. I watched F1 with Arab, Hebrew, Polish, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian, Romanian, Portuguese commentary and it didn't bother me in the slightest. Then again I am not really a television consumer and HD or no HD isn't an issue at all as long as I get the information I am looking for.
I guess my stance is a bit to pragmatic though.

CaptainRaiden
6th August 2011, 17:26
Just out of curiosity why don't you simply check this:

Sky tv Romania Get a Sky card for Romania Sky card Romania (http://storesatellite.com/sky-tv-romania.php)

I already saw that as one of the options when I Googled "Sky TV in Romania" before creating this thread. The link you gave is a supplier similar to the link I put in my first post. Only difference is, when I scanned all these websites, the link I put in my post seemed more professional to me, they had all the proper info and had their FAQ better laid out.

Whereas the link you gave me, if you click on the link in the "Click here to purchase Sky tv in Romania" line, it's a broken link and takes you to a page full of ads through the in-website search tool...

CaptainRaiden
6th August 2011, 17:43
F1 is free to air in most European countries so it really is easy to watch.
As I do not even own a TV set, just a few laptops and a 24 inch screen, I use a DVBT receiver for what can be watched on TV and I search for a stream if I want to watch something that isn't on TV (like the 24 hours of Spa last week for example).

F1 is no longer free to watch in Romania. The rights were taken from TVR 1 and given exclusively to Digi Sport, and Digi also has the MotoGP rights, and they wouldn't put new connections in the area where I'm staying. So, thank goodness for RTL channel I can watch F1, but I am still forced to torrent MotoGP. I have also been streaming most of the sports I like for the last year and a half, and frankly have gotten sick of the quality and frequent disconnections. Besides if a 24 inch screen is the biggest you have, then you won't find any difference between SD and HD anyway, so it's better to stick to SD transmission in your case.

As for the commentary I do not really care about the language as I watch the races for what they are not for the commentary. I watched F1 with Arab, Hebrew, Polish, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian, Romanian, Portuguese commentary and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

Commentary that you can't understand takes away a lot from a good race. Without English commentary, I have to put the live timing app on formula1.com and some other website providing text commentary as well to know about what laps the frontrunners are doing, who did the fastest sector etc. With English commentary I can just sit back and relax without having my own little telemetry in front of me. It adds the dimension of sound, and I enjoy the races more.

Then again I am not really a television consumer and HD or no HD isn't an issue at all as long as I get the information I am looking for.
I guess my stance is a bit to pragmatic though.

Like I said above, with a 24 inch screen it doesn't really matter if you have SD or HD, you won't see much difference. On a 42 inch TV however, I can't even dream of streaming a race online, unless I only want to see pixels. And I don't want to watch sports or other programming on my laptop or PC.

Eki
6th August 2011, 18:46
So, where's the fun in that then?

Daniel
6th August 2011, 21:10
Come on Ioan, just admit that perhaps you suggested something which doesn't exactly satisfy the OP's needs and lets be done with this :)

ioan
7th August 2011, 10:06
I'm afraid nothing but a free package with everything included on HD will satisfy the OP.
Anyway I'm off to a week of holiday without internet and TV! :)

CaptainRaiden
7th August 2011, 11:58
I'm afraid nothing but a free package with everything included on HD will satisfy the OP.

You really don't get it, do you? The comprehension skills epic fail is hilarious! Anyway, have a good vacation! ;)

Daniel
8th August 2011, 09:55
You really don't get it, do you? The comprehension skills epic fail is hilarious! Anyway, have a good vacation! ;)

For a moment when I saw you criticising his comprehension skills I thought you were the Black Knight after the Hamilton thread last week :crazy: :p

CaptainRaiden
8th August 2011, 10:35
For a moment when I saw you criticising his comprehension skills I thought you were the Black Knight after the Hamilton thread last week :crazy: :p

Dunno what's going on in that thread, because I unsubscribed from it seeing as it was going round in circles with some really "amazing" posts. :)

You gotta admit though, ioan's comprehension epic fail is incredible. After all the talk in this thread, what he understood was that I want to watch HD channels for free. He probably didn't even look at the link in the first post, and doesn't realize that I'm willing to pay for the card + the HD box + the Sky subscription. :arrows: Also, he probably thinks he's the only one who knows how to stream sports online. :laugh:

Daniel
8th August 2011, 11:15
Dunno what's going on in that thread, because I unsubscribed from it seeing as it was going round in circles with some really "amazing" posts. :)

You gotta admit though, ioan's comprehension epic fail is incredible. After all the talk in this thread, what he understood was that I want to watch HD channels for free. He probably didn't even look at the link in the first post, and doesn't realize that I'm willing to pay for the card + the HD box + the Sky subscription. :arrows: Also, he probably thinks he's the only one who knows how to stream sports online. :laugh:

Oh I agree Ioan is wrong in here :) You want something reliable and robust and a satellite box is the best way :)

CaptainRaiden
8th August 2011, 11:47
Oh I agree Ioan is wrong in here :) You want something reliable and robust and a satellite box is the best way :)

:up: Well put. That's exactly what I am looking for.

donKey jote
8th August 2011, 13:14
Except the problem isn't the box, it's the dish :)

Daniel
8th August 2011, 13:23

Well yes, but I meant a satellite box (and dish) as opposed to streaming :) (

donKey jote
8th August 2011, 13:28
technically speaking, you could also stream it to him reliably from your box :p

CaptainRaiden
8th August 2011, 13:45

Yep, and I checked, and it seems I'd have to order it from another city. I'm looking at at least a 600-700 euro investment for the card + media box + the dish antenna, which for a short-term period doesn't make much sense. Would make perfect sense if I was to retire here though. ;)

CaptainRaiden
8th August 2011, 13:46
technically speaking, you could also stream it to him reliably from your box :p

:p Daniel and I both would probably have to have stable 100 mbps connection to stream it in HD. And I'm guessing FOM or Dorna would be knocking on his door fairly quickly. :eek:

donKey jote
8th August 2011, 13:57
100 mbps? Surely you could get by with less.
FOM or Dorna wouldn't need to know about it... Daniel's allowed to stream to his holiday home when he's away, isn't he? ;) :p

CaptainRaiden
8th August 2011, 14:19
100 mbps? Surely you could get by with less.

For normal pixelated streams even 10 mbps is enough. But I tried streaming HD sports stream with a 25 mbps and 50 mbps connection, didn't work all that well. So, 100 mbps just to be safe. ;)

FOM or Dorna wouldn't need to know about it... Daniel's allowed to stream to his holiday home when he's away, isn't he? ;) :p

If he's streaming through his media box using a live TV streaming script, then FOM or Dorna would DEFINITELY know about it, not if he's streaming through his webcam though. In the latter case, I'd prefer the German feed, thank you. :p

555-04Q2
8th August 2011, 14:34
I don't think they let you watch that outside SA? Plus getting their card or HD box could be quite pricey. Anyway, if I really wanted to go for something like that, I'd go for Tata Sky from India. They've got a $hitload of channels, and I have their HD media box back home, I just have to get that here and get the dish antenna pointing to their coordinates and watch F1, MotoGP, WSBK, Cricket, NBA, all tennis grand slams ALL included in the package. ;)

DSTV is available in most of Africa, and if you know the right people, you can get it anywhere else in the world too. But I never told you that ;)

donKey jote
8th August 2011, 15:07
streaming through his webcam though. In the latter case, I'd prefer the German feed, thank you.

anything would be better than dan's webcam ! :uhoh: :s ailor: :eek: :andrea: :p

Daniel
8th August 2011, 15:28
anything would be better than dan's webcam ! :s ailor: :eek: :andrea:

Your wife wasn't complaining last night! :rolleyes:

:p

ifacompare
8th August 2011, 18:42
Not sure if it would work but if you have an xbox you maybe able to use it as SKY is available online

donKey jote
8th August 2011, 22:36
Your wife wasn't complaining last night! :rolleyes:

:p

for once I agree with markabilly... caroline's webcam is quite good ! :D

8th October 2011, 01:35
I used to live in Spain and had sky tv there. Here is a trick how
I have a friend in UK, I called
02033554849, Joined at my friend place. Sky sent me the card on her address, and came to install sky tv at that address. When engineer came there, I told him that i have the dish already so just leave the box here i will do it my self. He did the same. I was paying sky from my friend's uk bank account and was watching sky in Spain. You can call them on the same number

Zeakiwi
8th October 2011, 02:04
Rain storms or solar flares etc can disrupt your tv satellite viewing regardless of your service choice, some are less affected than others. Are there no satellite radio Formula 1 english commentaries ?

Dave B
8th October 2011, 07:54
I used to live in Spain and had sky tv there. Here is a trick how
I have a friend in UK, I called
02033554849, Joined at my friend place. Sky sent me the card on her address, and came to install sky tv at that address. When engineer came there, I told him that i have the dish already so just leave the box here i will do it my self. He did the same. I was paying sky from my friend's uk bank account and was watching sky in Spain. You can call them on the same number

Odd that your one and only post is to promote this. :s

ioan
8th October 2011, 14:43
2 weeks ago I had to watch F1 on Digi 1 in Romania, and their coverage/commentary is awful, CR you should be glad you don't understand what they are saying.

CaptainRaiden
10th October 2011, 10:24
2 weeks ago I had to watch F1 on Digi 1 in Romania, and their coverage/commentary is awful, CR you should be glad you don't understand what they are saying.

I don't have it. I watch it on RTL channel with wunderbar German commentary. :crazy: I also have the option of a Hungarian channel. Come to think of it, wouldn't make any difference to me if it's in Romanian, German or Hungarian, I can't understand it anyway. :p I put the German feed on mute and put BBC Radio 5 commentary on the PC. There's a little delay, but at least I get to know what the heck is going on.

The German feed is the best quality one I can get, but I could certainly do without Krombacher beer ads every freakin 10 minutes. :mad:

Found it!

ZadhfMiFHa0

:mad: After every race weekend, these words circle my mind. "Formula eines mit Krombacher". :crazy: