PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Trophies .

Bagwan
1st August 2011, 21:12
Does this get up anyone else's nose ?

I am hating the trend towards corporate trophies being a simple depiction of the sponsor logo , like the last one with the ENI scary animal , or the one before with the big Santander S .

I love the look of a simple cup .
It can be cool if it looks like one of the buildings at the track .
Some reference to F1 like a Black Jack steering wheel is great .

But , a big S sucks big s .

We see the friggin' logo on pretty much every surface in the frame , so don't worry we'll miss you .
Just get the heck off the trophy !

Brown, Jon Brow
1st August 2011, 21:20
I couldn't agree more.

If I had just won an F1 race I'd be offended to recieve an advertisment. The crappy tin karting trophies I have are better.

steveaki13
1st August 2011, 21:35
I have to agree.

This throphy is a wide one these days and it sucks.

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/05f1gpspain6485_1_900594!image/1946365070.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_300/1946365070.jpg

Where as this. Proper historic throphy which is individual, not mass produced crap.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2003/07/21/images/2003072105712101.jpg

Daniel
1st August 2011, 21:55
I have to agree.

This throphy is a wide one these days and it sucks.

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/05f1gpspain6485_1_900594!image/1946365070.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_300/1946365070.jpg

Where as this. Proper historic throphy which is individual, not mass produced crap.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2003/07/21/images/2003072105712101.jpg
Hey! Without bernie's rampant comercial whoring of F1 there simply wouldn't be F1!!!!! i know it because people said it on a forum!

steveaki13
1st August 2011, 22:12
Hey! Without bernie's rampant comercial whoring of F1 there simply wouldn't be F1!!!!! i know it because people said it on a forum!

If he could get them to make them in the shape of him, he would be completley happy.

anthonyvop
1st August 2011, 22:23

I am hating the trend towards corporate trophies being a simple depiction of the sponsor logo , like the last one with the ENI scary animal , or the one before with the big Santander S .

We see the friggin' logo on pretty much every surface in the frame , so don't worry we'll miss you .

I have a solution......Write a Check with a lot of Zeros at the end and make it out to the FOM and then I am sure you can make any trophy you want!

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 22:27
If he could get them to make them in the shape of him, he would be completley happy.

That's just a ridiculous idea. Even a life-size representation would be virtually invisible on the mantlepiece.

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 22:28

And, of course, everything done by private enterprise is fine, worthy and not a suitable subject for criticism even if it's utterly tasteless and devoid of merit.

Daniel
1st August 2011, 22:29
That's just a ridiculous idea. Even a life-size representation would be virtually invisible on the mantlepiece.

Perhaps a Bernie trophy could be like one of those singing fish which were popular 10 years ago, except with Bernie it would only sing when it suited him.

Daniel
1st August 2011, 22:29
And, of course, everything done by private enterprise is fine, worthy and not a suitable subject for criticism even if it's utterly tasteless and devoid of merit.

Are you agreeing with me that Bernie is a plick?

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 22:39
Are you agreeing with me that Bernie is a plick?

No. I wouldn't dare be so critical of someone so successful, and who has therefore earned the undying, unquestioning respect of everyone.

Daniel
1st August 2011, 22:40
No. I wouldn't dare be so critical of someone so successful, and who has therefore earned the undying, unquestioning respect of everyone.

Same here! I mean neither of us are as successful as him. I mean what are you doing on here whinging about him? You're jealous man! Go and buy the rights to F1 if you think that you can do better!!!!!

Hater!!!!!! :p

AndyRAC
1st August 2011, 22:43
Same here! I mean neither of us are as successful as him. I mean what are you doing on here whinging about him? You're jealous man! Go and buy the rights to F1 if you think that you can do better!!!!!

Hater!!!!!! :p

Buy them...????? Surely not..... ;)

ioan
1st August 2011, 22:47

:rotflmao: :up:

ioan
1st August 2011, 22:48

Everyone? Count me out, please.

ioan
1st August 2011, 22:51
Back to the trophies, they just look crap, especially the Santander one that looks like dog poo and only misses the warm vapors on top of it. :/

What is even worse is that the FIA regulation clearly stipulates that the trophies have to look like real trophies not some strange design, but then again who would enforce the rules against the sponsors?!

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 22:54
Everyone? Count me out, please.

In that case you are nothing but a left-wing saboteur, ioan, who probably harbours a not-so-secret desire to creep up on the likes of St Bernie in the middle of the night and steal all his hard-won earnings in order to present them to Communist-sympathising terrorist groups and the unemployed.

Daniel
1st August 2011, 22:55
Buy them...????? Surely not..... ;)

Well obviously Bernie wouldn't sell them, he loves the sport and is willing to make sacrifices to keep his dearly belover sport close to his heart. I just love it when someone criticises someone who has obviously had opportunities that we can only dream about having had, and then tells them to go out and do a better job. So I criticise an F1 driver and I'm meant to get an F1 drive to prove I can do better?

Daniel: Hello? Is that Martin Whitmarsh? Hi Martin, it's me, Daniel did you get my email?
MW: No? Who is this?
Daniel: My name's Daniel, you might know me from motorsportforums.com where I'm the most prolific poster.
MW: Ummmm ok..... and you are calling me why?
Daniel: Well basically it's like this, after the recent Grand Prix I criticised someone's beloved driver at which point they said "Could you do better?" so I says to myself, it would prove nothing about the actions of the driver I was criticising at all, but if it would shut that guy up then what not? So what do you say? I mean how hard can it be?
MW: *click*
Daniel: Hello? Hello?

*rings up again*

Daniel: Hi Martin, you seem to be having issues with your phones there, now about a wage? If I win, how about I take that Papaya Orange Macca F1 GTR LM off your hands? I mean it's sitting around doing nothing and has probably depreciated to the point where it's worth nothing?
MW: *click*

Now where did I put Domenicali's number? :dozey:

ioan
1st August 2011, 22:59
In that case you are nothing but a left-wing saboteur, ioan, who probably harbours a not-so-secret desire to creep up on the likes of St Bernie in the middle of the night and steal all his hard-won earnings in order to present them to Communist-sympathising terrorist groups and the unemployed.

:laugh: ;) :up:

Daniel
1st August 2011, 22:59

Ben, have you ever thought of a career on Fox? I reckon you could carry the act off for a couple of years before exploding into an anti-fox viewer rant :D

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 23:00
Ben, have you ever thought of a career on Fox? I reckon you could carry the act off for a couple of years before exploding into an anti-fox viewer rant :D

I am Glenn Beck and you can claim your £10.

Daniel
1st August 2011, 23:01
I am Glenn Beck and you can claim your £10.

I'll give you your £10 if I can kick you so hard in the crotch that you will never be able to reproduce other than if you were cloned which I'm sure he I mean you're probably against anyway.

Please?

ioan
1st August 2011, 23:02
Now where did I put Domenicali's number? :dozey:

First you'll have to work on your Italian accent. Spanish might also help a lot! ;)

Daniel
1st August 2011, 23:02
First you'll have to work on your Italian accent. Spanish might also help a lot! ;)

I've been watching that Joe Dolce video on youtube a lot, does that count?

ioan
1st August 2011, 23:04
I've been watching that Joe Dolce video on youtube a lot, does that count?

In your desperate situation anything helps!
Maybe you should call HRT and offer them those 10£, should be enough for a FP run. :D

Daniel
1st August 2011, 23:05
Maybe you should call HRT and offer them those 10£, should be enough for a FP run. :D

Well I am Australian and from Perth.......

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 23:07

I don't want the £10 I'm giving Daniel to go towards anything other than a team that is SUCCESSFUL and doesn't rely on HANDOUTS. That's almost as bad as murder.

ioan
1st August 2011, 23:08
I don't want the £10 I'm giving Daniel to go towards anything other than a team that is SUCCESSFUL and doesn't rely on HANDOUTS. That's almost as bad as murder.

Then he must ask for Webber's seat at RBR.
One Australian goes the next Australian comes in!

Daniel
1st August 2011, 23:09

Were you crying when you posted that? "gawd daaaaaaamn I just love mah country so much *sob* I caaaaaan't staaaaaand *sob* to see people gittin handouts"

Daniel
1st August 2011, 23:10
I just realised we've got a bit off topic, sorry Bagwan. I hate these silly corporate trophies....

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 23:11
Were you crying when you posted that? "gawd daaaaaaamn I just love mah country so much *sob* I caaaaaan't staaaaaand *sob* to see people gittin handouts"

A real man doesn't cry when he celebrates true FREEDOM.

PSfan
2nd August 2011, 03:36

You know, to be honest, I don't hate the Santander trophies (I don't love em either, but they could be alot worse... oh wait, those ugly as sin eni trophies prove as much... )

I was pretty amazed how horrible that fire breathing whatever its suppose to be turned out as a trophy, that black third place version has got to be the worst. bet Alonso is hoping Ferrari has a similar policy of keeping the trophies as MacLeran does, think I would rather keep the empty champagne bottle as a trophy over that eyesore.

However, this thread has got me thinking, F1 could take a page out of the IRL/Japans books, and give out trophies like this, cough cough, little beauty:

http://femaleracingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/danica_patrick2.jpg

Wouldn't that make for a very special podium if Massa ever had to carry that trophy around... Of course the 2nd place trophy should be a little bigger. but that little one Helio is holding should be about the right size for 3rd place. :p :

Oh and just wondering, how did the Canadian GP trophies turn out? I think I read that Bombardier designed them this year, but I was outa town, and my dloaded race doesn't have the podium celebrations. Think it would have been great if they where ski-doo statues... :cheese:

anthonyvop
2nd August 2011, 05:17

Frankly I found the Santander Trophies quite tasteful. The one that Reubens is holding up is garish. I have a few trophies in a similar style and they are quicky tossed into the closet never to be seen.... and as for Merit...........It was bought and paid for...What more merit do you need?

AndyL
2nd August 2011, 12:59

Yes, what is that thing? Some sort of 6-legged, fire-breathing dog? Looks like something from a paroxetine dream.

I completely agree. Believe it or not the F1 sporting regulations say that trophies "must be in the form of traditional cups." Appendix 3 section 4. Perhaps someone should refer the sponsors to the stewards.

If someone can find that picture of a driver (I can't remember who) leaping on the podium with the Santander trophy directly below him, looking like he's curling one off, I might change my mind :)

The Black Knight
2nd August 2011, 13:51

I agree with you completely. I would expect a trophy to convey the passion and effort the driver had to put into winning the race it in the first place. This is simply not the case with corporate trophies. They are in it for the money. They lack a love for the sport and are only concerned with proit. They lack heart and it shows in the product. They are sterile. It's great that they sponsor F1 but let us leave it at that.

BDunnell
2nd August 2011, 13:53
Frankly I found the Santander Trophies quite tasteful. The one that Reubens is holding up is garish. I have a few trophies in a similar style and they are quicky tossed into the closet never to be seen.... and as for Merit...........It was bought and paid for...What more merit do you need?

Stylistic, cultural, artistic?

What you consider garish looks to me like a trophy. What you think looks quite tasteful resembles the sort of thing a faceless corporate entity gives to its employee of the month, not someone who's just won a Grand Prix.

AndyL
2nd August 2011, 14:11
If someone can find that picture of a driver (I can't remember who) leaping on the podium with the Santander trophy directly below him, looking like he's curling one off, I might change my mind :)

Ah, this was the one:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1517/webbo2.jpg

I misremembered, it was the logo on the background and not the trophy. So I'm still against corporate logo trophies as they lack even comedy value.

(If you look at the full version (http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5573/webbo.jpg), it looks like Lewis is about to go for it too)

Norwegian Blue
2nd August 2011, 14:58
Just for the record... i think you'll find Alonso received exactly the same trophy as Rubens for the silverstone win, the santander ones were for 2nd and 3rd... still agree with the point though, and the Hungray trophies were awful!

Bagwan
2nd August 2011, 16:10
[quote="AndyL"]
I completely agree. Believe it or not the F1 sporting regulations say that trophies "must be in the form of traditional cups." Appendix 3 section 4. Perhaps someone should refer the sponsors to the stewards.QUOTE]

I was too lazy to look it up , and too timid to just post it with my memory , so , thanks for that Andy .
I thought I could recall something of a rule about this .

There is a rule , specific to this , and so the fact that nobody seems to have complained must simply be that nobody in the paddock is disadvantaged .
However , tagging the trophy is clearly to gain exposure and therefore , advantage over other sponsors involved , so how pleased would a non-Santander sponsored team be to hold up another company's logo over thier heads ?

That's where this could blacken some eyes in the FIA for seemingly turning a blind eye to this .

When they dream of the trophy , do they turn nightmarish with ENI monsters running around the track after them ?

ioan
2nd August 2011, 17:25
Ah, this was the one:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1517/webbo2.jpg

I misremembered, it was the logo on the background and not the trophy. So I'm still against corporate logo trophies as they lack even comedy value.

(If you look at the full version (http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5573/webbo.jpg), it looks like Lewis is about to go for it too)

Yeah, that's the one. It make for great caption: Webber shows his opinion about Santander in a rather plastic way! ;)

inimitablestoo
2nd August 2011, 19:05
I quite liked the Eni one at the weekend. Perhaps there was just a degree of sentimentality there, the fact that they're a long-time F1 sponsor (using the Agip name, anyway) maybe clouding my judgment. But yes, generally a trophy should look like a trophy, not a corporate logo. Or something apt, like the Brabham replica steering wheel they award in Australia. (Jack Brabham, anyway, I'm not aware of whether it's from his Cooper or Brabham days)

Big Ben
4th August 2011, 08:26
They could give them sandwiches for what I care.

Daniel
4th August 2011, 12:32
I agree with you completely. I would expect a trophy to convey the passion and effort the driver had to put into winning the race it in the first place. This is simply not the case with corporate trophies. They are in it for the money. They lack a love for the sport and are only concerned with proit. They lack heart and it shows in the product. They are sterile. It's great that they sponsor F1 but let us leave it at that.

Huh?????? Whilst I agree with your point, the trophy should reflect the passion and effort of the driver? How does the Australian GP trophy or the one Rubens was holding up convey that? :confused:

Perhaps what you mean to say was that it should have historical links with the sport, a particular driver or the nation the event is being held in.

Bagwan
4th August 2011, 14:17
They could give them sandwiches for what I care.

What kind of sandwiches would you offer them ?
Would you restrict bun shape ?

Or , would you offer only sliced bread ?
And , then there's the question of whether to cut the crusts off or not .

Big Ben
4th August 2011, 14:43
What kind of sandwiches would you offer them ?
Would you restrict bun shape ?

Or , would you offer only sliced bread ?
And , then there's the question of whether to cut the crusts off or not .

I haven't thought of every detail yet but one thing's sure, you don't get any meat for finishing 3rd.

Mark
4th August 2011, 15:30
Too right. Have you seen the price of corned beef these days?

BigG80
4th August 2011, 16:23
Personally I was a little miffed with the Eni scary dog trophies as I'd spent most of the race saying to the missus "It's a shame that after all this effort, they're going to get a horrid trophy that looks like an urn" and then it turns out they'd changed it.

Do you remember the last few Hungarian trophies? Really garish, hideous pottery things.

I'm not a big fan of the Santander/corporate trophies but only because they're so interchangeable....kind of like all of the Tilke tracks really. Very much a sign of modern F1.

AndyL
4th August 2011, 17:28
Do you remember the last few Hungarian trophies? Really garish, hideous pottery things.

Oh yes I'd forgotten about those. Very odd as a sports trophy. Nice bit of gilding though, would look tidy on the dresser next to the good china.

Now this is what you call a trophy:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6006/ashesk.jpg

tfp
4th August 2011, 18:31
Oh yes I'd forgotten about those. Very odd as a sports trophy. Nice bit of gilding though, would look tidy on the dresser next to the good china.

Now this is what you call a trophy:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6006/ashesk.jpg

Pfffft hahahaha! :laugh: