PDA

View Full Version : marko--the other australian (webber?) to retire in 2012

markabilly
1st August 2011, 12:58
It seems the level playing field has fallen off its fulcrum.

"the other driver" at RB, may be leaving us all, soon very soon.

He told the interviewer: "The other Australian will retire in 2012. We're looking for someone to replace him."

SweetF1: Dr MARKO: Mark Webber Will Retire in 2012 (http://sweetf1.blogspot.com/2011/07/dr-marko-australian-will-retire-in-2012.html)

Yah, Ade

or as they say elsewhere, adios, amigos

Of course this may be big news to MW....as Gomer Pyle used to say, "well, surprise, surprise...."

ShiftingGears
1st August 2011, 15:12
I take what Marko says with a grain of salt, to be honest.

Malbec
1st August 2011, 17:34
Marko should have been asked to clarify which one of his new proteges would take his place because none of them are setting the world alight are they?

Koz
1st August 2011, 18:03
I take what Marko says with a grain of salt, to be honest.

I am not sure about that. Since Marko is the defacto head of RBR, his world is gold.

N. Jones
1st August 2011, 18:16
It seems the level playing field has fallen off its fulcrum.

"the other driver" at RB, may be leaving us all, soon very soon.
SweetF1: Dr MARKO: Mark Webber Will Retire in 2012 (http://sweetf1.blogspot.com/2011/07/dr-marko-australian-will-retire-in-2012.html)

Yah, Ade

or as they say elsewhere, adios, amigos

Of course this may be big news to MW....as Gomer Pyle used to say, "well, surprise, surprise...."

Who gives a damn what Marko has to say.

ioan
1st August 2011, 22:53
I am not sure about that. Since Marko is the defacto head of RBR, his world is gold.

Whatever happened to Horner and Mateschitz.

Koz
1st August 2011, 23:02
Whatever happened to Horner and Mateschitz.

While Mateschitz is the supreme Führer, he has nothing to do with the day-to-day running.

Horner is just a tool who hangs around the Red Bull, he has the authority to go against the wishes of the good doctor, who I believe is responsible for every major decision made at RBR.

ioan
1st August 2011, 23:07
While Mateschitz is the supreme Führer, he has nothing to do with the day-to-day running.

Horner is just a tool who hangs around the Red Bull, he has the authority to go against the wishes of the good doctor, who I believe is responsible for every major decision made at RBR.

And the facts are?

Oh wait, there are no facts just beliefs.

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 23:13

Do you mean 'has' the authority or 'hasn't'?

BDunnell
And the facts are?

Well, there are facts, but what they are in this case is unknown to us.

ioan

He doesn't mean, he only believes.

Koz
1st August 2011, 23:16
And the facts are?

Yes, it is my belief.

Tell me ioan, what exactly do you think Marko's role in RBR is?

ioan
1st August 2011, 23:16
Well, there are facts, but what they are in this case is unknown to us.

Let's be serious. If Marko was in charge of the team then Mateschitz wouldn't have ever hired Horner.
Marko doesn't have the knowledge required to run such a big team successfully, he's there in order to have an Austrian high profile figure in the team, but that's it.

ioan
1st August 2011, 23:18
Yes, it is my belief.

Tell me ioan, what exactly do you think Marko's role in RBR is?

Just read my post above. I base my conclusions on logic and info from the Austrian media who get first hand info from Marko himself during the race week ends.

And BTW who was involved in the discussion with the FIA 3 weeks ago in Silverstone, Marko or Horner? Marko is not acting like if he was the one taking the decisions.

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 23:22
Let's be serious. If Marko was in charge of the team then Mateschitz wouldn't have ever hired Horner.
Marko doesn't have the knowledge required to run such a big team successfully, he's there in order to have an Austrian high profile figure in the team, but that's it.

Equally, we don't really know exactly how Marko's role in the team works, because Mateschitz is never asked about it, preferring as he does to restrict his media appearances to Red Bull's own in-house publications, and since Marko is (to the best of my knowledge — and I too read some of the German-language motorsport press) fairly coy about it.

ioan
1st August 2011, 23:36
Equally, we don't really know exactly how Marko's role in the team works, because Mateschitz is never asked about it, preferring as he does to restrict his media appearances to Red Bull's own in-house publications, and since Marko is (to the best of my knowledge — and I too read some of the German-language motorsport press) fairly coy about it.

And what should Marko say, that he is just a puppet present in the team in order to have a high profile Austrian in the team?
If it was Berger then I would have believed it that he is there to manage the team and make decisions.

Given the crap that Marko speaks sometimes it is hard to think that he is running the champion team.

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 23:42
And what should Marko say, that he is just a puppet present in the team in order to have a high profile Austrian in the team?

What I am saying is that it's very difficult for you, as much as anyone else, to make any assumptions based on what we know and what is said in public — which, on the part of the Red Bull company hierarchy, is little.

Given the crap that Marko speaks sometimes it is hard to think that he is running the champion team.

The same could be said of very many people in senior positions.

In Marko's case, one fact we do know is that he is, in effect, Mateschitz's man at the races.

CNR
2nd August 2011, 00:05
this came from a interview on the one prerace show

Promising drive, 2012 news for Daniel Ricciardo - inMyCommunity - Perth, Western Australia (http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-sport/Promising-drive-2012-news-for--Daniel-Ricciardo/7598180/)

PERTH racing driver Daniel Ricciardo is likely to be in a top-line Toro Rosso or Red Bull Formula One car as early as next year.
Red Bull Racing powerbroker Dr Helmut Marko stunned TV audiences last night when he said Mark Webber would probably retire next year.

Just a week ago Red Bull manager Christian Horner said he was certain Webber and teammate Sebastien Vettel would remain for the 2012 season, but Marko’s statement seems to have shown a dislike of Webber and opened a door for rising star Ricciardo.

It also left the TV interviewer (tom clarkson) speechless.

Marko had earlier described Ricciardo as “the new Vettel.”

In an interview with OneHD TV, Marko said “we need to find one of our juniors who can replace Mark Webber.”

He said he expected Ricciardo to improve in the Hispania Racing Team and that he had to beat his teammate Vitantonio Liuzzi and other tail-enders before he could progress to the main teams.

Koz
2nd August 2011, 03:20

He's no match for Uncle Flavio?? :p

Yes :)

In Marko's case, one fact we do know is that he is, in effect, Mateschitz's man at the races.
Exactly!

Big Ben
2nd August 2011, 10:29
Ioan's right. Marko's not the boss. He's just a parasite.

Malbec
2nd August 2011, 13:25

Well we do know that he is in charge of choosing which new drivers to take into the Red Bull project and training them, and that he is trusted by De Mateschitz. Whilst I don't like the way in which he talks about Webber I think his comments give a fair insight into which direction Red Bull are thinking of going with their drivers. The thing is though I don't think any of the three Red Bull junior drivers currently in F1 are any good.

BDunnell
2nd August 2011, 13:49
Well we do know that he is in charge of choosing which new drivers to take into the Red Bull project and training them, and that he is trusted by De Mateschitz. Whilst I don't like the way in which he talks about Webber I think his comments give a fair insight into which direction Red Bull are thinking of going with their drivers. The thing is though I don't think any of the three Red Bull junior drivers currently in F1 are any good.

Which may not matter, if Red Bull wants a young driver line-up come what may. After all, as Nigel Roebuck wrote, the company is only in F1 in order 'to sell more cans of drink to kids'.

ioan
2nd August 2011, 17:36
Ioan's right. Marko's not the boss. He's just a parasite.

He's just as invisible also, no mention about him on the team's website, at least not in the top bras camp:

Red Bull Racing Team Member Profile :: Red Bull (http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Red-Bull-Racing-Team-Member-Profile/001242807164021)

ioan
2nd August 2011, 17:37

He's been in charge of Red Bull's young drivers program for a very long time. he even was involved with Berger and Montoya's career pre F1.
I think you pinpointed his role in the team quite well.

DexDexter
2nd August 2011, 21:11
Marko would like Webber to go, IMO he's never liked the guy. Fortunately for us who like Mark, Dr. Marko doesn't decide the drivers at Red Bull.

Garry Walker
10th August 2011, 19:20
If there is anyone in F1 who deserves to get run over by a car, it is Marko

Mia 01
10th August 2011, 19:34
Many underestimate Marko.

Mekola
12th August 2011, 02:29
If you see history both Marko and Horner were successfull in F3000 in their days, first Marko alone with Müller and Montoya in 1996-97 (and not that successful since his team returned but was funded by Red Bull), and later Horner gained experience and funding and his team dominated the 2002-04 period, with Enge, Wirdheim and Liuzzi. Vitantonio was a key figure into Marko-Horner association in F3000 that gave the jump into F1 in 2005.

TheFamousEccles
13th August 2011, 05:43
The good Herr Doktor reminds me of some former clients I had in a previous life, we used to call them Seagulls. They would fly in, squawk a lot, sh!te on everything and then fly out.

An enigma wrapped in a riddle and served up in a caffine and gurana laced soft drink can.

Ioan's post about Helmut not showing up in any RBR parephenalia just reinforces my point, IMO.

markabilly
13th August 2011, 15:59
My thought is that Marko is in a position to be "in the know"; but beyond that I know not.

However, for him to be going on like that, esp. if he is in the know, is very unprofessional. And if he is not "in the know", then he needs to shut up, as it is again unprofessional.

Nevertheless, I have thought the handwriting is on the wall for webber that he will be leaving......