PDA

View Full Version : Sauber keep Kobyashi and Perez for 2012

Robinho
28th July 2011, 12:21
Good news at Sauber, both drivers have been retained for the 2012 season. Consistency of drivers and staff, a decent midfield car and plenty of Mexican cash could see them move a couple of places forward (although it is no guarantee)

Sauber retains Kobayashi and Perez for 2012 Formula 1 season - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93417)

Dave B
28th July 2011, 13:54
It's a shame Kobyashi won't be progressing to a better team, but some more time at Sauber should see him hone his craft.

Perez? Meh, I suppose they've got to pay the bills somehow.

Koz
28th July 2011, 14:05
It's a shame Kobyashi won't be progressing to a better team, but some more time at Sauber should see him hone his craft.

Sauber would be more than happy to give a driver away to Ferrari if so requested. :)

Malbec
28th July 2011, 14:11

The cynical side of me sees Perez having a long career at Ferrari as the new Massa while Kobayashi's career fizzles to a halt at Sauber. Hope it won't happen but...

ioan
28th July 2011, 21:58
Not really sure why people are slating Perez, what did he do wrong?

Ranger
28th July 2011, 23:08
The cynical side of me sees Perez having a long career at Ferrari as the new Massa while Kobayashi's career fizzles to a halt at Sauber. Hope it won't happen but...

Your cynicism makes Kobayashi sad.
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=4divj.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

tfp
28th July 2011, 23:32
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=4divj.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Haha:-) Gotta love Kobayashi:-)

Malbec
29th July 2011, 22:22

Poor guy, he's clearly just heard about the Sky deal too...

Mia 01
30th July 2011, 09:58
None are top tier drivers but fun to watch.

ArrowsFA1
31st July 2011, 08:00
As well as good backing I think Perez has good future in F1. I rate him more highly than Maldonado who beat him to the GP2 title last year.

F1boat
31st July 2011, 08:56

+1

Malbec
31st July 2011, 10:40

I think Kobayashi is potentially a first class driver, he just needs to up his game in qualifying.

Perez has been average so far although his career has much greater potential due to the interest Ferrari have shown in him since he signed with Sauber.

wedge
31st July 2011, 15:58
Seriously, are the Sauber drivers having to pay for tyres? I can't quite fathom why they go on dumb strategies for some races.

AndyL
31st July 2011, 16:20
Seriously, are the Sauber drivers having to pay for tyres? I can't quite fathom why they go on dumb strategies for some races.

To be fair it is keeping them comfortably in the lead of the third division of the WCC. But it does look like that's what they're aiming for rather than trying to challenge the division 2 teams.

52Paddy
31st July 2011, 16:57

Nicking Brundle's line there are we? ;)

:p :

longisland
1st August 2011, 14:06
Sauber don't have the pace; whether it's the car or the drivers and maybe both. What they have is a car that is gentle on the tires and hence the out of sync pit strategy. We've seen some great overtaking action after the Saubers changed new tires while other cars' tire performance are dropping off the cliff. However, the same strategy produce the same adverse effect on the Suabers when they are on the old tires while other teams are running new sets of tires. Kobayashi didn't put up too much of a fight because the cars ion new tires are 2s faster.

wedge
1st August 2011, 15:02
Sauber don't have the pace; whether it's the car or the drivers and maybe both. What they have is a car that is gentle on the tires and hence the out of sync pit strategy. We've seen some great overtaking action after the Saubers changed new tires while other cars' tire performance are dropping off the cliff. However, the same strategy produce the same adverse effect on the Suabers when they are on the old tires while other teams are running new sets of tires. Kobayashi didn't put up too much of a fight because the cars ion new tires are 2s faster.

But is still doesn't explain why when the drivers have reached the cliff they don't jump straight into the pits and get fresh boots - Perez in Valencia being a prime example.

Malbec
1st August 2011, 16:49
But is still doesn't explain why when the drivers have reached the cliff they don't jump straight into the pits and get fresh boots - Perez in Valencia being a prime example.

Or Kobayashi just this weekend.

The Saubers are quick enough to fend off the STRs and take the fight to the Force India's and sometimes Renaults too, but it just seems that their tactics are entirely built around their ability to make tyres last and are too inflexible to change much when the tyres don't last as long as they predicted. It would be understandable if their drivers found themselves at the back of the pack for whatever reason a few laps into the race but since Kobayashi was always in a points scoring position until the final few laps they could have tried a more 'normal' aggressive strategy.

52Paddy
2nd August 2011, 00:07
It would be understandable if their drivers found themselves at the back of the pack for whatever reason a few laps into the race but since Kobayashi was always in a points scoring position until the final few laps they could have tried a more 'normal' aggressive strategy.

I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, the team consider the probability of a safety car. With changeable conditions like we had in Hungary, it's not too wild to consider a safety car being deployed and handing your driver a huge advantage. Best case scenario would be that Kobayashi would get a free pit stop and possibly end up 4th or 5th. Worst case scenario is that he stays where he is (8th) and have to fend off the drivers behind. In the process, he might loose some places but hopefully still finish up in the points. In Hungary he was unlucky that a safety car wasn't deployed (after Heidfeld's car fire) and, doubly so, because the train of cars tailing him went down to 11th or 12th place. That's to say that, if he fails to fend off one car, he opens the door for a string of them and would loose his points finishing position more rapidly that if they had been spread out.

Just a hunch though.

ifacompare
8th August 2011, 18:32
I think this is a good move for Sauber. Two drivers with very different styles that compliment each other.

steveaki13
9th August 2011, 20:49
If Sauber provide the two with a good car next year their talents will undoubtably shine through. I would have liked to see Kobayashi move to a bigger team.

Garry Walker
10th August 2011, 19:06

What has Perez done wrong? He has beaten Kamui often in qualifying, has raced well, all over he is not a superstar but he has been very competent. Certainly more so than most rookies.

Mia 01
10th August 2011, 21:30
They should ge Rubens.

IceWizard
10th August 2011, 22:58
I'm glad they're both getting another chance but like aki13, I think it would be nice to see Kobayashi moving on to a bigger team.

jens
1st September 2011, 20:22
I see here has been a discussion about the merits of the drivers. :D Well, I like both drivers (especially Kamui, I think he is currently in my Top3), but to be honest, I don't think either of them is top driver. Kobayashi is a good racer (and perhaps best overtaker in the business alongside Hamilton), but can he match Vettel, Alonso or Hamilton race-in, race-out in terms of pace? Based on 1,5+ years in F1 I wouldn't think so, he is giving too much away in qualifying. So perhaps he can be more in the mould of Button - struggling in qualifying, damage limitation in races. But what I have to say that among mid-field runners Kobayashi seems like the most complete driver in terms of consistency (both Force India drivers, Pérez, STR drivers, Maldonado, etc seem to have more up-and-downs).

Pérez has sometimes impressive race performances due to good tyre management and sometimes he qualifies well, but as noted - both are sometimes. He is often touted as a future Ferrari driver, but he needs to up his game for that. But in any case, they are a good choice for Sauber and it is also a good place for them to grow as drivers.