PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about iPods?

drewdawg727
9th December 2006, 04:00
Well i'm having issues with mine.
Twice in the past week, my iPod has stopped working in the middle of use. In between songs, it will just freeze on one song, and then skip it and move on to the next, and move on to the next, etc. It just keeps skipping through songs and doesn't stop. So i turn it off, and then after that it won't turn back on.
So i plug into my computer and it worked last week, but this time when i plugged it in, it just goes through a cycle if "do not disconnect" (where it should be charging, but it doesn't charge), and then it switches back to the apple logo, followed by a picture of a folder with an exclamation point. I don't understand why it worked for me last week but it's a flop for me this week.
I would restore my iPod and just satrt all over again and put the songs back after the restore, but i don't have my songs saved in my library because i had to update the songs because they were all old. I was going to update it this weekend just so i'd have them "on file" but then this happened.
Anyone that can assist Harry the Helpless over here..?

wacked
9th December 2006, 07:43
time to format ur ipod once and reload all the songs in it all over again.. u need to do it once in awhile..

which ipod do u have anyways?

Daniel
9th December 2006, 08:10
time to format ur ipod once and reload all the songs in it all over again.. u need to do it once in awhile..

I agree with wacked :)

Caroline won a new 2Gb Nano the other day. I still prefer my old one though! :)

drewdawg727
9th December 2006, 18:38
I have a really old model. It's about a year and a half old and i think it just needs a new battery.

AndySpeed
9th December 2006, 18:44

I don't think that everyone needs to format their iPod once in while - I never have

I agree with wacked :)

Caroline won a new 2Gb Nano the other day. I still prefer my old one though! :)

iPod Nano's are weak little things - I know someone who bent theirs when they sat down... :s

fastbitch
9th December 2006, 20:22
2AndySpeed - did they sit on a pipe? or how did it happen? Can u bend it if you just sit on it? i was gonna buy 2nd hand, so now i m thinking

AndySpeed
9th December 2006, 20:36
2AndySpeed - did they sit on a pipe? or how did it happen? Can u bend it if you just sit on it? i was gonna buy 2nd hand, so now i m thinking

I think they were wearing jeans with tight pockets and sat (or slumped) down on a sofa. The bend wasn't much, but was enough.

If you do get one, a case is a must-have. I've also heard that older Nano's scratch much more than new ones, so if you do look second-hand try and get a newer Nano as the scratching can impair visiblity of the screen.

Nothing wrong with the player itself, just its durability.

Powered by Cosworth
9th December 2006, 20:51
1st Gen Nanos = Tripe.

2nd Gen Nanos = Pure goodness. Very hard to scratch. Very sturdy. A massive improvement.

AndySpeed
9th December 2006, 20:53
Surely with the capabilities of modern phones today (SE k800i, Nokia N Series) the Nano is increasingly unneccessary - you can pretty much store the same amount on your phone and have it all in one

harvick#1
9th December 2006, 21:02
1st Gen Nanos = Tripe.

2nd Gen Nanos = Pure goodness. Very hard to scratch. Very sturdy. A massive improvement.

yeah cause they changed the surface to be like the Ipod Mini, (which is what I have)

you can't scratch the surface and I like it much better than the other Ipod's.

Dave B
9th December 2006, 21:10
Surely with the capabilities of modern phones today (SE k800i, Nokia N Series) the Nano is increasingly unneccessary - you can pretty much store the same amount on your phone and have it all in one

:up: Plus when I upgrade my phone I can just pull the Micro SD card out of the side and bung it in the next one.

It's rumoured that Apple are going to bring out an iPod with a phone built-in, which could shake the market up a bit!

AndySpeed
9th December 2006, 21:15
:up: Plus when I upgrade my phone I can just pull the Micro SD card out of the side and bung it in the next one.

It's rumoured that Apple are going to bring out an iPod with a phone built-in, which could shake the market up a bit!

Indeed, since I got my k800i and bought a 1gb card I've also stopped buying DRM protected music for the reason that I want to be able to carry it over to other devices if I choose.

I doubt an iPod phone would be as popular, as ditching the classic click wheel design would be essential and it would probably lose it's 'cult design' and fashion status.

Powered by Cosworth
9th December 2006, 21:50
Apple folk have been making and hearing rumors of an 'iPhone' for many many many years now.

The iPod came into a market which was essentially non-existant and created a bloody good (and the most beautiful) First gen iPod.
The mobile media phone market is huge with some already good products, so Apple will find it hard to succeed atall, if only on the 'Makers of iPod' effect the Apple name has.

Daniel
10th December 2006, 00:44
I don't think that everyone needs to format their iPod once in while - I never have

iPod Nano's are weak little things - I know someone who bent theirs when they sat down... :s
Hey she won it so who cares ;)

Caroline's iPod lives in a sock in the car and doesn't get carried around in pockets anyway so I suspect durability isn't an issue.

I like my iPod. It's almost 2 years old now and the battery isn't as good as it used to be but I've got a Belkin external battery pack so I'm not that bothered if the battery dies completely as it never gets used othe than in the car or at home.

Tbh I don't like the idea of a phone that plays MP3's or an MP3 player that makes phonecalls and sends texts. They invariably end up not being as good at both and suffer from bad battery life compared to having one of each.

When I want to listen to songs I have this.

http://www.osxfaq.com/radio/12-2004/ipodu22.jpg

When I want to look at photos or watch video I have this with a 3.8" screen which is probably 4x bigger in total area that of the new video iPod's.

http://xataka.com/es/archivos/images/Epson-P2000.jpeg

And when I want to make phonecalls I have this

http://www.first-handyshop.de/handy/Nokia/3230/nokia-3230-1.jpg

Rather than having 1 thing that does all those jobs cheaply and not as good as I would like I spend 3 times the money and got 3 things which do the job well. Money well spent I think! People would say I'm a gadget freak but I beg to differ. I just can't tolerate things that don't do the job properly!

AndySpeed
10th December 2006, 01:01
Like you Daniel when I want to listen to music I use my G4 U2 iPod most of the time.

However sometimes I use this, as I have a few of my more popular playlists on, when I don't want to fill my pockets with both iPod and phone:

http://www.xonio.com/ii/98844872_125873f883.jpg

Powered by Cosworth
10th December 2006, 01:04
Thats the thing, latest iPhone rumor is it will have 2 batteries, one for Music + Stuff, one for Phoney stuff. Not a bad idea.

Sleeper
10th December 2006, 02:24
I dont use iPods, I have a very cheap 1GB Logitec mp3 player that playes mp3, WMA, etc music files and does exactly what it says on the tin, and cheaply as well.

I also have a very cheap Sendo phone that I phone and text people from. Why spend silly money on these gadgets when I can get cheap name goods that work just as well and for much less.

Powered by Cosworth
10th December 2006, 03:02
I also have a very cheap Sendo phone that I phone and text people from. Why spend silly money on these gadgets

Precisely :)

http://www.vantru.is/6210.jpg
My Phone, The best phone ever made!

AndySpeed
10th December 2006, 03:08
If you're a fan of all things unspectacular then yes.

And always one to argue the point, imagine the scenario:

You're walking through the streets of [insert local town here] when you see parked up a Bugatti Veyron. With your phone, you can only look. With my phone, I can take 100 photos of it and MMS them to my mates making them all feel jealous (except you, since your phone can't do MMS).

I then walk off feeling happy and listen to a song on my phone (and also feeling a lot lighter since my pockets aren't weighed down with a phone that is heavy and an mp3 player).

:p :

Sleeper
10th December 2006, 03:12
Point tacken, but I live in Birmingham ( for the few that cant read whats on the left) so there's not likely to be any cars anyware near that level of awsomness around here. Plus, if you have a good phone like that, you imediatly become the target for all chavs and rather a lot of the asian population here unfortunatly. :(

Damned if you do and damned if you dont.