PDA

View Full Version : What single regulation would you implement

Retro Formula 1
22nd July 2011, 13:35
Great question asked of Sam Michael during practice.

What 1 thing would you change or bring in?

Sams answer was active suspension. Don't know what single thing I would change unless it was to provide each team with a box that the car has to fit in and let them get on with it.

Garry Walker
22nd July 2011, 13:57
I would implement the regulation that any driver caught using DRS would get electrocuted.

SGWilko
22nd July 2011, 14:42
I would implement the regulation that any driver caught using DRS would get electrocuted.

Yes, but can you imagine the farce the FIA would make around the rules governing devices for the purposes of electrocution. You'd have to re-electrocute a good few before the FIA deemed it a proper electrocution.

I'd like to see active ride again, but I'd prefer to see manual gearshifts return and make these buggers actually earn their money.

ioan
22nd July 2011, 23:13
Mandatory ground effects and canopies.

CNR
22nd July 2011, 23:52
drivers swap cars after qualifying
qualify in one car then race in the other car
under park fermay

SGWilko
23rd July 2011, 18:10
Mandatory ground effects and canopies.

You voted too then! ;)

ioan
23rd July 2011, 18:25
You voted too then! ;)

Voted what?

SGWilko
23rd July 2011, 18:27
Voted what?

Should F1 run coupes? :p

ioan
23rd July 2011, 21:13
Should F1 run coupes? :p

Not yet as the poll I wrongly worded. It should be canopies not coupes.

intheway
24th July 2011, 01:31
Don't know what single thing I would change unless it was to provide each team with a box that the car has to fit in and let them get on with it.

And the team who's most willing to risk their drivers' lives will win. Can't say I'd be in favour of that.

Hawkmoon
24th July 2011, 03:52
Freedom of engine design. No limits on number of cylinders, capacity or revs. Just pick normally aspirated or turbo and then let them loose.

Mark
24th July 2011, 11:27
I wouldn't even go that far. Give them a capacity limit and certain characteristics and ban the use of expensive materials, but engine development should be completely unrestricted.

I'd also go back to one engine per race.

Rollo
24th July 2011, 13:39
I would ban wings.
You would still be allowed to shape the bodywork to achieve downforce but I've always thought that they detract from the skill of close quarter racing.

Heck even the DRS by its existance admits that when it comes to drivers being able to get close to other cars, wings inhibit their ability to do so.
I know that you see far more tactics and racecraft in a Formula Ford race than you do in F1 for precisely this reason.

52Paddy
24th July 2011, 16:07
I'd take out the requirement for engines to be 2.4 V8s.

vhatever
24th July 2011, 16:10
I would ban all "push button, go faster" nonsense. This mario kart garbage with KERS/DRS has completely poisoned the well of F1.

tfp
24th July 2011, 18:19
I would ban all "push button, go faster" nonsense. This mario kart garbage with KERS/DRS has completely poisoned the well of F1.

Well dont watch it then :laugh:

I liked the mid race refuelling, they should bring that back.

Oh, and get rid of team orders, they spoil everything.

And if a race is red flagged, the tyres cant be changed(Monaco).

intheway
24th July 2011, 18:48

I might ban DRS, but I've no problem with KERS. At least it's the same for everyone, whereas DRS has a bias.

bluegem280
25th July 2011, 10:54
Well dont watch it then :laugh:

I liked the mid race refuelling, they should bring that back.

Oh, and get rid of team orders, they spoil everything.

And if a race is red flagged, the tyres cant be changed(Monaco).

agree, I see refueling gives F1 more drama, the race result and the whole race is more unpredictable, and during the pit stop, Massa may take the fuel hose to the track before completely released from the tank.

wedge
25th July 2011, 11:12
Easiest to fix is to get rid of the regulated rev limiters.

ArrowsFA1
25th July 2011, 20:58
Simple. I would like to see the regulations changed to ensure the cars had more power than grip. Aero has for far too long had far too greater an influence on the cars and this had let to gimmicks like KERS, DRS and tyres designed to "spice up" the racing, but as we see in the wet drivers with cars that have more power than grip can race without the need for those gimmicks.