PDA

View Full Version : Bernie formally accused of paying bribe

Ranger
20th July 2011, 05:08
Formula One chief executive Bernie Ecclestone formally accused of paying bribe - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/8648669/Formula-One-chief-executive-Bernie-Ecclestone-formally-accused-of-paying-bribe.html)

Formula One chief executive Bernie Ecclestone was on Tuesday formally accused for the first time of paying $44 million (£27.3 million) in bribes to a German banker relating to the last sale of the sport in 2006.

SGWilko
20th July 2011, 09:10
Formula One chief executive Bernie Ecclestone formally accused of paying bribe - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/8648669/Formula-One-chief-executive-Bernie-Ecclestone-formally-accused-of-paying-bribe.html)

Shock horror, imagine that? ;)

tfp
20th July 2011, 09:51
How unsurprising, and they talk about millions like its nothing. That bloke must wipe his a*se with 20 bob notes...!

SGWilko
20th July 2011, 09:54
How unsurprising, and they talk about millions like its nothing. That bloke must wipe his a*se with 20 bob notes...!

You mean, that bloke has virgins wipe his a*se with 20 bob notes........

Retro Formula 1
20th July 2011, 10:28
Is anyone really shocked?

I am shocked that there hasn't been a formal investigation into the dealings within F1 such as the payments (bribes) to Max (not the FIA) for the commercial rights.

SGWilko
20th July 2011, 10:30
Is anyone really shocked?

I am shocked that there hasn't been a formal investigation into the dealings within F1 such as the payments (bribes) to Max (not the FIA) for the commercial rights.

Could this be the straw that breaks the camels back do you suppose?

Retro Formula 1
20th July 2011, 10:33
Could this be the straw that breaks the camels back do you suppose?

Do you know what. I was thinking along the same lines.

Murdoch-gate is flying through my mind and if News Corp can be cut down to size, will the EU have the balls to finally get to grips with the FIA and FOM?

SGWilko
20th July 2011, 10:38
Do you know what. I was thinking along the same lines.

Murdoch-gate is flying through my mind and if News Corp can be cut down to size, will the EU have the balls to finally get to grips with the FIA and FOM?

Which begs a further point RE the Murdoch situation. Do we believe Rupert when he said he knew nothing about what went on and he was betrayed by people he trusted.

If so, does that add any credence to the situation Ron found himself in 'a la spygate'????

If this goes off in a tangent, there must be a spygate thread it can be moved to rather than Hi-jack Matthew's thread.

Big Ben
20th July 2011, 11:01
This is should teach him a lesson. He will think twice in his after life.

Rollo
20th July 2011, 11:11

There were 20 shillings in the Pound. A 20 bob note is a 1 Pound Note. 1 Pound Notes haven't been issued since 1988.

Maybe he uses Pound Coins... to dig out Klingons?

Retro Formula 1
20th July 2011, 11:39
Which begs a further point RE the Murdoch situation. Do we believe Rupert when he said he knew nothing about what went on and he was betrayed by people he trusted.

If so, does that add any credence to the situation Ron found himself in 'a la spygate'????

If this goes off in a tangent, there must be a spygate thread it can be moved to rather than Hi-jack Matthew's thread.

I don't think a slight detour is akin to hijacking ;)

The thing with Murdoch is that he was either incompetent in not knowing about such a widespread practice (unlikely) or compliant. By the simple fact that the News Corp board are upset at having the wool pulled over their eyes suggests that the assumption was this will be quashed. It very nearly was.

With Ron, it's slightly different. It was a few rogue employees and when Ron stood up in front of the FIA, I think he was telling the truth because as soon as Alonso tried to bribe him, he went straight to the FIA with the information he had learnt.

This doesn't disguise the fact that McLaren employees had data that was stolen from Ferrari and for that they were rightly punished. It also doesn't disguise the fact that this practise was as endemic in F1 as phone hacking was at the NotW and the reason McLaren were so harshly fined was because of Max's vendetta with Ron.

I am evil Homer
20th July 2011, 12:31
I doubt he knew TBH...The NoTW accounted for 1% of NI's revenue, it was a small piece of the puzzle. Be like my boss knowing if one of our developers stole some code from somewhere to use it in our software. But that's not to say he didn't foster a culture of "do what it takes to get a story" but actually know what every journalist in his organisation does? No chance.

SGWilko
20th July 2011, 12:34
I doubt he knew TBH...The NoTW accounted for 1% of NI's revenue, it was a small piece of the puzzle. Be like my boss knowing if one of our developers stole some code from somewhere to use it in our software. But that's not to say he didn't foster a culture of "do what it takes to get a story" but actually know what every journalist in his organisation does? No chance.

Should he have been asking about the sources of the stories they were running, and how they were obtained?

And should the sale of rights to FOM be investigated now.......???

Will JT stir things up.......???

Da, da, daaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

markabilly
20th July 2011, 14:22
this is small change compared to what max got as "Christmas gifts" or whatever for selling out the FIA to Bernie E. for all sorts of rights.............

What was it, like 300 million or more???

while the FIA ended up with ???????

opps, sorry for the hijack of the thread. I thought were were talking about bernie, not robert murdoch

SGWilko
20th July 2011, 14:28
robert murdoch

Does he own a publishing company too?

tfp
20th July 2011, 17:00
You mean, that bloke has virgins wipe his a*se with 20 bob notes........

Haha!

tfp
20th July 2011, 17:05
There were 20 shillings in the Pound. A 20 bob note is a 1 Pound Note. 1 Pound Notes haven't been issued since 1988.

Maybe he uses Pound Coins... to dig out Klingons?

Smart a*se :) ;)

What a horrible thought! :bonce:

AndyRAC
20th July 2011, 21:18
The deal between Bernie and FiA/ Max has needed looking at.........I'm not sure about all the legalities, but surely the President can't just 'give them away' for an agreed price. Or can he??
The way the FiA's World Championships are run don't make sense either. Bernie does what he likes with F1, while the FiA have more control of the others - that needs sorting out. NorthOne wanted a Rally in AbuDhabi - the FiA said 'No'. Bernie arranges races in all kinds of places, but the FiA has very little say......

The Black Knight
22nd July 2011, 12:01
Bernie paid a bribe? Oh no. Who cares?

Not me.

Daniel
22nd July 2011, 12:30

Not me.

WOW. How can someone hold this viewpoint? Do you not care about morals or ethics and so on? :mark:

Retro Formula 1
22nd July 2011, 12:59

Not me.

I know what you mean with some of the other stuff that has gone on in F1 but the case takes another twist. It was blackmail money apparently :o

Ecclestone admits to paying banker Gribkowsky - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93218)

SGWilko
22nd July 2011, 13:19
WOW. How can someone hold this viewpoint? Do you not care about morals or ethics and so on? :mark:

Ecclestone admits to paying banker Gribkowsky - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93218)

Oh cock, just seen the post above - too slow again!

Retro Formula 1
22nd July 2011, 13:27

Oh cock, just seen the post above - too slow again!

You're just stupid :p :D

SGWilko
22nd July 2011, 13:29
You're just stupid :p :D

Alright, don't tell everyone for crying out loud!!!! :laugh:

I'm going to report you for having a sense of humour.... :p

Garry Walker
22nd July 2011, 13:59

Well, I am sure we all have bribed someone in our lives. Bernie just had to bribe someone with a bigger sum :D

The Black Knight
22nd July 2011, 14:30

What are morals and ethics exactly?

Nothing more than figments of people's imagination. Thought processes bound by an overly complex set of principles that can never be satisfied. That's all they are my friend. They don't actually exist. One doesn't have to know anything about either to know the difference between what is right and wrong.

Was it right or wrong what Bernie did? I'd say so from the sounds of it. Does it bother me if he gets away with it? Not at all really. As far as things go in the world it's very low on the list of what needs to be fixed.

Daniel
22nd July 2011, 17:09
What are morals and ethics exactly?

Nothing more than figments of people's imagination. Thought processes bound by an overly complex set of principles that can never be satisfied. That's all they are my friend. They don't actually exist. One doesn't have to know anything about either to know the difference between what is right and wrong.

Was it right or wrong what Bernie did? I'd say so from the sounds of it. Does it bother me if he gets away with it? Not at all really. As far as things go in the world it's very low on the list of what needs to be fixed.
So basically I could go ahead and murder someone and say "What is life exactly but a figment of our imaginations" and walk out of the Police station a free man?

SGWilko
22nd July 2011, 19:24
So basically I could go ahead and murder someone and say "What is life exactly but a figment of our imaginations" and walk out of the Police station a free man?

Give it a try, then report back with your findings........

ioan
22nd July 2011, 22:52

Are you surprised?
Most British F1fans believe that Bernie is some kind of marketing genius responsible for the existence of this motorsport!
I'm not at all surprised! ;)

anthonyvop
23rd July 2011, 04:03

So? What is it to you?

Retro Formula 1
23rd July 2011, 09:16
Are you surprised?
Most British F1fans believe that Bernie is some kind of marketing genius responsible for the existence of this motorsport!

He is a marketing genius that took an ailing sport hell bent on tearing itself apart and turned into the pinnacle of motorsport that it is today.

I don't know if you need to be British to understand this? Perhaps we are just more astute ;)

markabilly
23rd July 2011, 11:32
Well, I am sure we all have bribed someone in our lives. Bernie just had to bribe someone with a bigger sum :D

never. OTOH, I am open to any bribes that bernie wishes to pay me, but my price starts high, and goes up from there

But I am honest. Once bribed, I stay bribed no matter what.

markabilly
23rd July 2011, 11:37

worked for ms casey, but she had to wait 3 years until the trial was over to go walking

Daniel
23rd July 2011, 11:55
Are you surprised?

Nope. Tbh i've never subscribed to the notion that Bernie is a positive for F1 at all. He's sold F1's soul to the middle east or to whoever is the highest bidder and thrown the history of F1 in the bin.

Daniel
23rd July 2011, 11:58
worked for ms casey, but she had to wait 3 years until the trial was over to go walking

Markabilly, lets be sensible, even some people who usually agree with you took issue with the EVIDENCE or lack thereof against her. Irrelevant to this thread though.

markabilly
23rd July 2011, 11:59
Are you surprised?

Iam.

I did not know he was a marketing genius. Explains much.

I always thought he was just a rich little midget who ran away from some travelling freak show or circus.

markabilly
23rd July 2011, 12:05
Markabilly, lets be sensible, even some people who usually agree with you took issue with the EVIDENCE or lack thereof against her. Irrelevant to this thread though.

Just followed your lead; besides your idea did work for her, and it can work for bernie as well.

Besides we all know that bernie is just an honest businessman trying avoid the extra expense of blackmail, and even his lawyers said pay the bribe.

ioan
23rd July 2011, 14:20
He is a marketing genius that took an ailing sport hell bent on tearing itself apart and turned into the pinnacle of motorsport that it is today.

Thanks for proving my point.
Anyway it is sad when people idolize such specimen.

I don't know if you need to be British to understand this? Perhaps we are just more astute ;)

Thanks for the good laugh. :D
Maybe you can convince the German prosecutors that bribing = marketing genius! ;)

Retro Formula 1
23rd July 2011, 14:31
Thanks for proving my point.
Anyway it is sad when people idolize such specimen.

I would never question an expert on idolization such as yourself but I far from idolize the poison dwarf and have generally been highly critical of him. However, to be balanced, I also acknowledge his strengths and no matter how much you dislike him, you cannot deny the success he has brought to the sport. It would be churlish to deny the bleeding obvious.

Thanks for the good laugh. :D
Maybe you can convince the German prosecutors that bribing = marketing genius! ;)

Is Bernie being prosecuted? I wasn't aware of that.

Care to provide a link ioan as you always back things up ;)

ioan
23rd July 2011, 14:39
For a start as the article in the first post points it out his been "formally accused" of bribing. I guess that's how thing start usually, let's wait and see what happens next.

AndyRAC
23rd July 2011, 14:59
Nope. Tbh i've never subscribed to the notion that Bernie is a positive for F1 at all. He's sold F1's soul to the middle east or to whoever is the highest bidder and thrown the history of F1 in the bin.

Funnily enough - most of the press seem to think he's F1's saviour, hmm I can't think why. F1 is now style over substance....

Daniel
23rd July 2011, 22:09
Funnily enough - most of the press seem to think he's F1's saviour, hmm I can't think why. F1 is now style over substance....

Yes, all too often you see gormless Hollywood celebs crowding the grid......

ioan
23rd July 2011, 23:26
I wish I could watch this one (not available outside the UK and I am not going to lose time with proxies setups to circumvent this stupid BBC measure):

BBC Sport - Bernie Ecclestone unconcerned by bribary allegations (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/14261664.stm)

Any of you who can watch it could you tell the rest of us what is revealed in the interview? Thanks.

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 10:16
I wish I could watch this one (not available outside the UK and I am not going to lose time with proxies setups to circumvent this stupid BBC measure):

BBC Sport - Bernie Ecclestone unconcerned by bribary allegations (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/14261664.stm)

Any of you who can watch it could you tell the rest of us what is revealed in the interview? Thanks.

The first B in BBC is for British - gives you a clue as to why, when British folks have to own a TV licence, foreign viewers are not permitted to view the content., be it over the internet or not.

The Black Knight
27th July 2011, 22:25

Your ability to continually miss the point astounds me.

Daniel
27th July 2011, 22:32
The first B in BBC is for British - gives you a clue as to why, when British folks have to own a TV licence, foreign viewers are not permitted to view the content., be it over the internet or not.
Doesn't mean that anyone living in the UK can't tell Ioan what he said......

Daniel
27th July 2011, 22:32
Your ability to continually miss the point astounds me.

What point? You are OK with corrupt practices, 99% of us aren't.......

vhatever
28th July 2011, 08:37
So let me get this straight.

Bernie says he has some finances that, on first glance. appear they could be "shady", yet are legitimate. This other guy from Germany finds it out and then threatens to tell the authorities. Bernie, instead of wasting his money to defend himself from the probes and whatever else he thinks his government would launch against him to investigate those finances, he decides it would be better to pay the guy 45 million dollars? I know bernie has a ton of cash, but a 45 million payoff? And that money isn't going to make the "shady" financial issues go away, so in a couple years he could have to pay off someone else?

I got an F1 racetrack to sell ya if you are buying any of this.

SGWilko
28th July 2011, 11:42

Bernie says he has some finances that, on first glance. appear they could be "shady", yet are legitimate. This other guy from Germany finds it out and then threatens to tell the authorities. Bernie, instead of wasting his money to defend himself from the probes and whatever else he thinks his government would launch against him to investigate those finances, he decides it would be better to pay the guy 45 million dollars? I know bernie has a ton of cash, but a 45 million payoff? And that money isn't going to make the "shady" financial issues go away, so in a couple years he could have to pay off someone else?

As I understood it, if Her Majesty's renue inspectors (a bunch on incompetent morons at the best of times) were to be requested (by aforementioned German banker) to inspect the deal (and the assumption that if they did so, no wrong doing would have been found), it would have delayed the sale by up to 3 years, which Bernie wanted to avoid.

Retro Formula 1
28th July 2011, 15:35

I agree with you (shock horror!!!) but I also see SGWilko. Sometimes you need to get rid of a roadblock because otherwise the traffic jam costs too much but my gut instinct is that there's a whiff about this.

ioan
28th July 2011, 21:54
No matter why he did it is still a bribe.