PDA

View Full Version : Predictions- Will Edwards go to Gibbs or stay with Roush?

00steven
19th July 2011, 16:31
I'm sure everyone has heard the reports that Gibbs and Carl Edwards have been in talks. Edwards hasn't confirmed or denied the reports and insist that he wants it to be a private matter. Reports also say that The Home Depot is very interested in him.

I believe that Carl is going to Gibbs and replacing Logano in the 20 car. If Gibbs can find a sponsor for a fourth car, he'll put Joey in it.

So, I want to know your predictions on what will happen.

Lee Roy
19th July 2011, 16:58
Have to say that I agree. JGR is a stout team. Rousch is a great team also, but doesn't quite seem to have the follow through that JGR does. And Home Depot is one of the top sponsors.

But if I were Carl, I would demand (depends on how bad they want him whether or not he can "demand") that JGR stay with just 3 teams. Seems like 4 teams might take away from the "focus".

Although, Jimmie Johnson (Mr. Fiveinarow) is on a team that is part of a 4 car organization. So who knows.

Mark in Oshawa
19th July 2011, 17:41
If I am Carl, I look real serious at going to Gibbs. No one else would be able to offer him that step up. For whatever reason, Roush-Fenway just cant seem to get a team over the hump as often as their largesse and resources would indicate. Joe Gibbs and his son have won 3 championships in the last 15 years....and Denny and Kyle have won consistently and it is their mercurial style that perhaps have stopped them from winning championships, not the cars.

Joe Gibbs has everything they need to win a championship....but so does Roush. Yet it HAS happened more often at Gibbs. So for Carl, I think it is worth taking the look at moving.....but I cant imagine it is an easy call. Roush gave him his chance, gave him everything he needed too......

In the end, I just look at how Roush nudged Martin and Burton aside...and realize this is a business, and sentimental issues get lost...so Carl has to really break down where he thinks he has a better chance.

slorydn1
19th July 2011, 18:03
I really don't know. With Hendrick eating up all the championships, I feel like swicthing from Roush to Gibbs, or Gibbs to RCR, RCR to Roush (etc) would really end up being a lateral move for any driver.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Remember, right around 2 years ago we were sure that Harv was leaving RCR. He even made a veiled statement to that effect with his "closing the book" comment made to Marty Smith in that DSPN interview.

I believe that Carl will look at all the time he has invested in his team, and they in him, and will probably decide that to move will mean having to start from scratch-how well has that worked out for Junebug?

It did work out for Shrub, but his move was forced.

Harv stayed "home" and it worked out pretty well.

So unless Edwards has some real issues with the people at Roush-Fenway, or unless Roush is horribly underpaying him, I'm guessing he'll probably stay.

00steven
19th July 2011, 18:32
The problem too that we have to remember is that the Roush-Fenway group is really struggling to find sponsors right now and I think that that is adding to Carl's uneasiness. One thing I know for sure, is that Carl is really mulling Gibbs offer over because if he wasn't, he would refute any rumors and say he is signing back on with RF.

Lee Roy
19th July 2011, 18:33
Good points slorydn1. Any driver would look at the #20 and have to see a car (and sponsor) with two championships. But this same driver would have to take into consideration that is was mainly the Stewart/Zippadeli combination that was winning those trophys. Championships are very often won by a great driver/crew chief combination.

But dang, Home Depot IS a great sponsor.

slorydn1
19th July 2011, 19:03
Good points slorydn1. Any driver would look at the #20 and have to see a car (and sponsor) with two championships. But this same driver would have to take into consideration that is was mainly the Stewart/Zippadeli combination that was winning those trophys. Championships are very often won by a great driver/crew chief combination.

Agreed, without a doubt

Jared East
19th July 2011, 21:48
I really hope he stays, but he must really be thinking about it or he would just resign. I think a #99 UPS Ford would be pretty sweet.

Sparky1329
20th July 2011, 05:13
Since I don't have access to all the information Carl does it would be pretty tough for me to put myself in his shoes. On the face of it I'd go to Gibbs. They win more races than Roush and they don't seem to be having sponsorship issues. Carl is in a excellent bargaining position whatever he decides to do.

Sparky1329
20th July 2011, 05:20

I can picture Carl in home improvement commercials. Joey, not so much. I loved Tony's Home Depot commercials. They were believable and very funny. I think Home Depot would have much better advertising opportunities with Carl and he wins races, too boot.