PDA

View Full Version : Are price comparison sites worth it?

Mark
18th July 2011, 11:40
Renewed my car insurance today, so went to Go Compare.com and the cheapest quote they could come up with was £660, the second cheapest was £840!

I checked Direct Line as I've had good prices from them in the past, £950! :eek:

Then I logged onto SwiftCover, who I'm currently insured with to see what price they could do, thinking it would be a lot since renewal prices are usually a lot more than for new customers, £400! That's more like it.

So I'm a bit unhappy with GoCompare that I could have ended up spending £260 more than I needed to, which is exactly what these types of sites are supposed to avoid!

Andrewmcm
18th July 2011, 14:08
Go Compare have to pay for those really bloody annoying adverts somehow I suppose.

Daniel
18th July 2011, 14:22
Go Compare have to pay for those really bloody annoying adverts somehow I suppose.

:up:

I think price comparison sites are definitely worth it. We got a renewal through for our multicar policy from Admiral and going on a price comparison site I saw what I could get the individual policies for online and bargained with admiral and got a very good deal which was in fact far cheaper than the best two quotes we got elsewhere combined.

driveace
18th July 2011, 16:42
The big problem with these sites is that they are generally owned by one of the insurance companies so you ONLY get,theirs and the other companies that they owns prices.I find money supermarket to be. The best one,for foreign hire cars,and insurance.I have a new Merc sport,Saga (my regular insurer) want £360 ,Mercedes insurance want £357,but LV will do it for £240,which I like,AND it's a £35K car.Now Saga say they will price match it

markabilly
20th July 2011, 14:26
The big problem with these sites is that they are generally owned by one of the insurance companies so you ONLY get,theirs and the other companies that they owns prices.I find money supermarket to be. The best one,for foreign hire cars,and insurance.I have a new Merc sport,Saga (my regular insurer) want £360 ,Mercedes insurance want £357,but LV will do it for £240,which I like,AND it's a £35K car.Now Saga say they will price match it

Yeah, you got to be careful about these things, but all the info you can get is always worth while.

As the old lady says, shop until you drop.

gloomyDAY
21st July 2011, 01:09
I think it really depends on what you're trying to buy. I usually use it to compare flights and score awesome deals (i.e. Airfare Deals - Cheap Flights - Airfarewatchdog (http://www.airfarewatchdog.com)). I booked two flight tickets through these comparison website last year and they were a steal. My first ticket was from LAX to Bogota, Colombia for $400 RT and the other was from LAX to Vancouver, BC for $190 RT. Not too bad at all!

intheway
21st July 2011, 16:30
I use them generally just to get list of companies in case I've forgotten any. Then ring 'em individually.

24th August 2011, 10:14
Price comparison sites are worth full why because they are providing the product prices from number of merchandises. For example AltiusCompare.com (http://www.altiuscompare.com/) providing price comparison option.

16th May 2012, 07:38
Hey Mark, this is Rone. Just came across your issue. I would rather say that many people face the same problem regarding the insurance of their car. Actually most of the sites might be having their price quotes, through which a person may randomly select according to his choice but most of the times he feels unsatisfied st the end having his insurance done. In my view a person, should go out for face to face queries regarding the insurance so that he feels convinced at the end.