PDA

View Full Version : advice for beginer- what bike? taking opinions

tophersmustache
16th July 2011, 04:53
Hello, new to the forum, hope to hear some good conversations and meet a few people. Tired of racing cars, just dont have the budget for it, just cant afford to go as fast as i'd like, so im going to the two wheeled world. Minimal experience on an r6, fun bike though. I weigh 140-150, 5'5, 24, healthy and fit. would like some opinions on a recommended "first" bike, i havent riden in about... 5 years. Im looking to get a bike that i can handle well and get the full potential out of. I dont want to buy something and 1 ridding season later be ready for something bigger, i dont have that kinda money to throw around. Looking for something Affordable; as in when i lay it down its not going to cost me my nut sack to fix it, and when its time to make it faster, there's a good market. Reliable; once i get back state side and EAS (USMC) i plan on ridding this bike EVERYWHERE, doing a coast to coast ride to check out different tracks. It also needs to be able to take a beating, I drive hard and intend on ridding even harder. I want to start getting into amature racing once i feel that confterbillity with my bike. I am very unfamilar with classes of bikes and what nots in the racing world, still doing research. would just like some opinions on the matter. considering late 90's Gsxr 750 at this point. Thanks.

Rod Richardson
16th July 2011, 11:42
Mate, first thing I would recommend would be to attend a riding course if you haven't ridden for 5 years then before you part with your hard-earned bucks on a bike, join a sporting motorcycle club, read the tons of reviews on various bikes (90's era bikes), listen to the advice that level-headed club members give you, discard the advice of hoons then decide whether it would more sensible to buy a sports-tourer for long distance rides for a couple of years or whether you are prepared to put up with the aching wrists, sore bum and back and bugger-all wind protection that you have on a straight out sports bike used on long hauls.

As for recommending a bike and having regard to your size, a Honda VFR 750 of 800 would be a worthwhile first buy and a mid to late '90's bike would not break the bank and would give you good strong reliable performance and comfort on trips.

The Gixer 750 is a great peaky sports bike with a proven race pedigree but I'd still go for the Honda for its all-round capabilities.

Best of luck with your choice.

Park your bum on one and you'll see what I mean.

tophersmustache
16th July 2011, 16:14
Forgot ot mention that part. i will be taking a basic and advanced riders course as refreshers, free curtesy of the uncle sam. I appreciatte the suggestion, somehow i managed to over look that, gonna look into aftermarket availability and pricing. by the sounds of it you've expierenced one? likes dilikes? i know im not going to find a "lazyboy like" sports bike, but i do want to be able to ride without feeling like my back is broken by the time i get where im going, i love long trips and enjoyin the sights.

Rod Richardson
16th July 2011, 23:09
That's the sensible approach. Check out the following sites:
Bike models and specs........Motorcycle Manufacturers List (http://motoprofi.com/brandslist/index.html)
USA reports/reviews back to 2003.......Motorcycle News and Motorcycles - Motorcycle USA (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/)
Honda VFR forum..............VFR Discussion - Home (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?)

Happy hunting.

The Phantom
17th July 2011, 02:03
The VFRs are indeed a great choice - fast, reliable, can do it all (tour, commute, scratch) and sound like nothing else with a good aftermarket pipe fitted. I've had a 1994 VFR750 for 13 years and still love it to bits (and my wife swapped her 2002 Triumph TT600 for a 1995 VFR750 and she loves it too).

Not something you can go club racing on easily, though. The bodywork doesn't handle drops, let alone crashes, very well, and it's getting hard to find good replacement panels and fairing stays for them. If you have Post-Classic racing you might find a class there for it - the 750s are eligible here in Oz - but GSX-R750s ride rings around them due to lower weight and more power.

A 5th Generation VFR800 is also worth a look, 6th Generation VFR800 got Vtec and cam chains and is a little more expensive to maintain, but a fantastic bike - 6th Gen also handles better than earlier ones as it has better suspension.

If you really want something that is a fun all-rounder with enough power and handling to keep you happy as your skills improve, and that you can go racing on when you are ready - Suzuki SV650. Far lighter than the VFRs but does most things as well as the Viffer does. And like the Viffer there is a huge online network for the SVs to help you get it sorted to suit your needs.

tophersmustache
18th July 2011, 03:57
getnlemen, just want to say thanks for the advice and pointing me in a direction. I've got until november to make my mind, I'll be sure and let ya know how it turns out. thanks again gents