View Full Version : Edmonton Indy

DanicaFan
13th July 2011, 15:05
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/Edmonton_Indy_Logo.png

Race 11 of 18

Race - Edmonton Indy

Location - Edmonton City Centre Airport, Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Date - Sunday, July 24th

Time & TV Schedule - Pre-Race Show-Sunday, July 24th-2:00PM -Eastern & Green Flag -2:45PM Eastern - Versus

Course Type - 2.256 Mile Airport Circuit (13 turns)

Distance - 90 Laps / 203.04 Miles

Practice Sessions -
Friday, July 22nd - 1:15PM -2:00PM Eastern -Group 1A & 2:00PM-2:30PM -All Cars & 4:45-5:45PM Eastern
Saturday, July 23rd -12:15PM -1:15PM
Sunday, July 24th -Warm Up Session - 10:00AM-10:30AM - Eastern

Qualifications - Saturday, July 23rd - 5:30PM -6:50PM Eastern

2010 Pole Sitter - #12 Will Power / 1:00.7126 - 116.991mph

2010 Winner - #9 Scott Dixon

**Note - All Times listed in Eastern Time. Alberta is 2 hours behind Eastern.

DanicaFan
13th July 2011, 15:07
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/newedmonton.jpg

DanicaFan
13th July 2011, 15:11
2010 Race Facts..

Length of Race - 1 hour, 50 minutes, 37 seconds
Average Speed - 101.666
Margin Of Victory - 2.6688 seconds
Lead Changes - 4 Times Among 3 Drivers
Caution Laps - 4 Cautions for 10 Laps
Fastest Lap - #9 Scott Dixon -Lap #88 - 114.326 mph

DanicaFan
13th July 2011, 15:32
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/edmontonpits2011.jpg

00steven
13th July 2011, 16:40
The new layout looks nice.

DanicaFan
13th July 2011, 21:11
Here is a great picture showing the new track layout compared to the old layout. New layout is in blue, the old is in red..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/EDMCCA.jpg

NickFalzone
13th July 2011, 21:14
Interesting, that's like an entirely different track. Should get to some crazy speeds on those straights and good passing on the hairpins.

DanicaFan
13th July 2011, 21:20
Interesting, that's like an entirely different track. Should get to some crazy speeds on those straights and good passing on the hairpins.

Yeah, they will get those speeds up and will make it interesting going into that hairpin turn there..

Chris R
13th July 2011, 21:22
I hope there is some major fencing between the two-way traffic on the long straight - that is pretty close to have cars going nearly 200 mph in opposite directions.....

NickFalzone
13th July 2011, 23:41
I hope there is some major fencing between the two-way traffic on the long straight - that is pretty close to have cars going nearly 200 mph in opposite directions.....

I was wondering the same thing. I imagine that the track designers are way ahead of us, but it certainly is a safety issue that stands out.

Anubis
13th July 2011, 23:43
Touch of the Avus or Norisring about it. Echo the point about the separation between the two flows on that straight. They'd better have some serious separation going on there. Are there any extra chicanes on those straights or is it a straight run?

SarahFan
14th July 2011, 03:10
If Paul Tracy doesn't hit someone next weekend I may never post on this forum again

Mark Pedersen
14th July 2011, 04:12
I'm not a fan of tight hairpin corners in any race track - remeber the A1 GP street race in China where the cars couldn't get around the thing in one movement.
I fear the same may happen here. you wont be able to pass up the inside because your car wont have a tight enough turning circle to get around without going wide and ending up in the grass. I hope I'm wrong - how wide is that runway and how tight can an indy car turn (under acceleration)?

Mark Pedersen
14th July 2011, 04:14
that said, i'm so happy they were able to put this race on the calander....even with the new track.

00steven
14th July 2011, 04:24
If Paul Tracy doesn't hit someone next weekend I may never post on this forum again

I think you should be pretty safe. :D

harvick#1
14th July 2011, 06:40

or EJ and Takuma :D

beachbum
14th July 2011, 11:52
I'm not a fan of tight hairpin corners in any race track - remeber the A1 GP street race in China where the cars couldn't get around the thing in one movement.
I fear the same may happen here. you wont be able to pass up the inside because your car wont have a tight enough turning circle to get around without going wide and ending up in the grass. I hope I'm wrong - how wide is that runway and how tight can an indy car turn (under acceleration)?I doubt it is any tighter than Long Beach, but unlike Long Beach, it will be a passing zone. That should get "interesting"

EagleEye
14th July 2011, 11:53
Classic. And i know if he doesn't hit anyone, you will not post because you are a person of high standards. Unlike some one else who can not be man enough to own up to his own promise. BTW, when is the actual race thread going to be posted?

00steven
14th July 2011, 14:39
BTW, when is the actual race thread going to be posted?

I think this is it... two full weeks before the actual event.

bennybigb
14th July 2011, 15:12
I'm sure the runway is wide enough to accomodate a hairpin. I think Cleveland's runway is around 250 feet wide or something. The hairpin at San Jose was only like 100ft from outside wall to outside wall, that was way too tight, but Montreal's hairpin is 160 feet acrossed and they get some good racing in and out of thier hairpin.

I think I am going to like this track, but the race will more than likely be another crashfest. Look for many many cautions...

SoCalPVguy
14th July 2011, 17:02
WE NEED A RACE THREAD THAT EVERYONE CAN ENJOY.

I personally have DF on "ignore" so I don't get his posts, but I'd like a race thread to read and post in and I think that may be true for a lot of other potential posters on this forum.

Many people here wonder why this guy persists in posting as he gave his word (worthless apparently) that he would never post here again. Many people do not post any more in DF's threads so his posts do not get the full wisdom of the posting community (such as it LOL). As the trusted poster EE writes "Unlike some one else who can not be man enough to own up to his own promise. BTW, when is the actual race thread going to be posted?" I am responding.

THEREFORE I REQUEST A BOYCOTT ON THIS THREAD AND AN 'ALL ACCESS RACE THREAD' FOR THE REST OF US

DanicaFan
14th July 2011, 17:13
That post I made back then wasnt meant to be taken literally, it was somewhat of sarcasm. Yes, I really thought she would win Iowa but I was wrong. Sorry guys, cant we just move on and get past that. I enjoy making these threads for all of you to enjoy and post in. I quit making predictions and Im more careful on what I post now so it dont get taken out of context.

So, lets talk about Edmonton and enjoy the rest of the season.

SoCalPVguy
14th July 2011, 17:53
DF has the same privileges here as everyone else, no more no less.

Not true. Let's let "the market" decide this one. If no one posts on his threads anymore ... we would have to discuss the race somewhere... I am not going to make some grand pronouncement of never posting again.. but I like racing and I like discussing it, but I am tied of the "hassle' of having to put up with nonstop nonsensical crapola like Future Indy 500 & Daytona 500 Winner staring me in the face every second of the day.

SarahFan
14th July 2011, 18:06
I'm with socal...

bennybigb
14th July 2011, 18:14
I just want to talk about hairpins. In this race thread or the official race thread, I don't care.

Mark in Oshawa
14th July 2011, 18:33
I am with you Benny, I don't care who starts it, and I pay no attention to DanicaFan's promise being broken or not. I find him a fan, and amusing. I don't share his belief in drivers, I think she isn't nearly as good as she could be, but her attitude sucks and that is just my opinion. He is welcome to post away....it is all about opinions after all.

As for the racecourse, Tagliani apparently was in Edmonton inspecting the layout and the pavement laid down for this race. He says another Toronto is likely with that first corner and the hairpins. I am hoping it isn't as crazy as Toronto is, but the boys wont stay out of trouble. With all the equality in Indycar, you get this. It is basically spec racing, so no one really has much an advantage. It is good...and bad....

I think it will be a fun show.

As for the concern about the runway and a hairpin, most major runways are 200 feet wide...and Edmonton City is no exception. They will make the turn....

Marbles
14th July 2011, 18:37
Speaking of hairpins -- I'm thinking with the longer draft to turn 1 and double sided restarts, turn 1 is where the action is going to be. Exiting the hairpin at 13 is going to be the importance of that corner... but I'm generally wrong about these things.

00steven
14th July 2011, 19:28
I'm getting more and more excited for the race! The layout is 10x better then what it has been and should produce some great passing opportunities.

SoCalPVguy
14th July 2011, 20:05
OK - Bygones.
Lets discuss racing.

DanicaFan
14th July 2011, 20:28
I am with you Benny, I don't care who starts it, and I pay no attention to DanicaFan's promise being broken or not. I find him a fan, and amusing. I don't share his belief in drivers, I think she isn't nearly as good as she could be, but her attitude sucks and that is just my opinion. He is welcome to post away....it is all about opinions after all.

As for the racecourse, Tagliani apparently was in Edmonton inspecting the layout and the pavement laid down for this race. He says another Toronto is likely with that first corner and the hairpins. I am hoping it isn't as crazy as Toronto is, but the boys wont stay out of trouble. With all the equality in Indycar, you get this. It is basically spec racing, so no one really has much an advantage. It is good...and bad....

I think it will be a fun show.

As for the concern about the runway and a hairpin, most major runways are 200 feet wide...and Edmonton City is no exception. They will make the turn....

Yeah, I just read that article. It will definitely be interesting. All those turns after those long straight aways should be interesting too. Not sure how this will play out.

harvick#1
15th July 2011, 07:20

I think Tags said this is because the hairpin is gonna be very cramped and narrow, how many drivers did we see at Toronto get plowed and run over, Tags was also apart of it having the brain fade with Power

Andrewmcm
15th July 2011, 10:40
I think Marshall Pruett wrote an article on Speed's website that clarifies the Power/Tagliani confrontation. It makes for interesting reading.

Chris R
15th July 2011, 13:16
Not true. Let's let "the market" decide this one. If no one posts on his threads anymore ... we would have to discuss the race somewhere... I am not going to make some grand pronouncement of never posting again.. but I like racing and I like discussing it, but I am tied of the "hassle' of having to put up with nonstop nonsensical crapola like Future Indy 500 & Daytona 500 Winner staring me in the face every second of the day.

I do not disagree with your grievances - but two wrongs do not make a right.... DF is over the top with his support of Danica but the bashing of DF is also over-the-top.... it is not like the guy is personally offensive - just an over-zealous fan...... What would the world be without the sun rising and setting every day and DF predictions of Danica winning every race??? :D

SoCalPVguy
15th July 2011, 15:20
I do not disagree with your grievances - but two wrongs do not make a right.... DF is over the top with his support of Danica but the bashing of DF is also over-the-top.... it is not like the guy is personally offensive - just an over-zealous fan...... What would the world be without the sun rising and setting every day and DF predictions of Danica winning every race??? :D

See above, Agreed - Bygones.
Lets discuss racing.

Mark in Oshawa
15th July 2011, 19:02
I think Tags said this is because the hairpin is gonna be very cramped and narrow, how many drivers did we see at Toronto get plowed and run over, Tags was also apart of it having the brain fade with Power

Tags was no better or worse than any of em. They all were playing bumper cars out there for the most part. This stupid blocking rule is creating more wrecks than it prevents. Basically drivers are taking it to mean they have to allow a guy to run beside him all freaking day no matter what corner you are at. Well that isn't road racing. Cotman had a simple rule in CART when he said once you approach the breaking zone, you pick a line, you stay to it until you hit the turn in for the apex, and if the guy isn't beside you by then, you can make the corner. The driver overtaking still had the responsibility if he wasn't beside to back off. Just like in every other racing series run by normal people. IN Toronto, the idiot with one wheel inside of the car on the outside could sit there forever...and if the other guy came over (duh, corner 4 pretty much demanded you move to the right to get a good line) then he was toast.

Marbles
15th July 2011, 19:57
I think Marshall Pruett wrote an article on Speed's website that clarifies the Power/Tagliani confrontation. It makes for interesting reading.

Turns out Power thought Tagliani was Briscoe and what Tagliani perceived as being chopped was simply Power not expecting Briscoe to attempt any overtaking in the corners leading up to the incident. Believe it or not.

AUTO RACING - INDYCAR: Toronto Rewind (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-toronto-rewind/)

With the exception of side by side restarts into turn 1, I can't see the same mayhem taking place on an airport runway.

Mark in Oshawa
16th July 2011, 07:25
With the exception of side by side restarts into turn 1, I can't see the same mayhem taking place on an airport runway.
You want to retract that?? After what I saw last Sunday, that isn't a prediction I would want to be kept to!!!!

SarahFan
16th July 2011, 13:57
Will PT be on the grid?

DanicaFan
16th July 2011, 14:36
Will PT be on the grid?

Yes ,he is scheduled to be at Edmonton with Dragon Racing.

SarahFan
16th July 2011, 14:41
I know he scheduled to be there with dragonracing...

But he has himself in a bit of hot water over a post at another foru
.... Has claimed his a count was hacked ( a bit far fetched IMO) and the 'cowboy' is not amused

EagleEye
17th July 2011, 14:52
That post I made back then wasnt meant to be taken literally, it was somewhat of sarcasm. Yes, I really thought she would win Iowa but I was wrong. Sorry guys, cant we just move on and get past that. I enjoy making these threads for all of you to enjoy and post in. I quit making predictions and Im more careful on what I post now so it dont get taken out of context.

So, lets talk about Edmonton and enjoy the rest of the season.

Again, we need more fans like you and I have written that numerous times. Still, I am amazed you blew a chance to get a unique race opportunity. Only a devoted fan, crazed or not, would sick blindly to their guns.

You state you "quit making predictions"...then what the hell is up with the tag at the bottom of all your posts! How about you replace that with a "Go, Fight, Win" tagline, instead of proclaiming the Brand of the Future to be the Indy 500 Winner (not going to happen) and Daytona 500 Winner (I could easily see her getting "the call"). If DF does that, I would accept the apology and have no issues with DF getting to post the pre race threads. If not, we (not a mod!) should have the choice on where to post about upcoming races.

I disagree with Starter. This should be "market driven" and not some random choice by the mod. Case-in point, the TG discussion that was locked by him a few weeks back. TG indicated he did not start the split, and a forum discussion started between a "fan" and someone in the series. No name calling, no cussing, etc. The discussion followed the stated rules of the forum. But because one individual did not like the discussion topic, the thread was closed. Now I point this out, having the greatest respect for the moderators, and the hard work they must provide, for free! But, this is all a bit heavy handed to me.

chuck34
18th July 2011, 12:58
I know he scheduled to be there with dragonracing...

But he has himself in a bit of hot water over a post at another foru
.... Has claimed his a count was hacked ( a bit far fetched IMO) and the 'cowboy' is not amused

Any way to enlighten those of us that don't freqent other places? Sounds pretty interesting.

SarahFan
18th July 2011, 14:53
PT posts at another forum fairly regularly ... After Toronto he pOsted a thread stating that 'the cowboy' was sitting with target execs who are getting ready to start opening stores in Canada and that he had 'the' Dario penalty reciinded so as not to upset them...

A bit later in the same thread (next day I believe) in backed dawn a bit a claimed
That was 'the rumor round the paddock'

The thread has been removed.....

PT claims his emai was hacked and consequently the hacker started the thread..... I read the original thread and infind that hard to believe but you be your own judge

Cavin has picked up the story and blogged that Randy is not happy as that is a very serious and possibly libel claim on pt's part

*I'm out of town and in and out of service so I have no idea what has transpired the past couple days.... But it's an interesting pickle

DanicaFan
19th July 2011, 04:40
PT posts at another forum fairly regularly ... After Toronto he pOsted a thread stating that 'the cowboy' was sitting with target execs who are getting ready to start opening stores in Canada and that he had 'the' Dario penalty reciinded so as not to upset them...

A bit later in the same thread (next day I believe) in backed dawn a bit a claimed
That was 'the rumor round the paddock'

The thread has been removed.....

PT claims his emai was hacked and consequently the hacker started the thread..... I read the original thread and infind that hard to believe but you be your own judge

Cavin has picked up the story and blogged that Randy is not happy as that is a very serious and possibly libel claim on pt's part

*I'm out of town and in and out of service so I have no idea what has transpired the past couple days.... But it's an interesting pickle

Wow! That is interesting.

DanicaFan
19th July 2011, 04:41
Entry List..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/edmontonentrylist.jpg

Mark in Oshawa
19th July 2011, 17:24

He didn't have the wisest attempt to pass going into 5 and tagged Power, but to be honest, that was a little different from the nonsense at 3. All of it though is because they are overthinking what is allowed and not allowed. Face it, if you can only get a wheel inside of a guy entering a corner, you shouldn't be shattered if he moves down to take the apex thinking he is clear. Those mirrors on those cars are not exactly showing what a guy needs, and there isn't a spotter who could make that call.

Tags had a brain cramp, because he and others keep thinking under the new rules this sort of pass is protected.....

maxmach
19th July 2011, 20:44
Hey guys, anyway of politely saying which forum PT posts on?

DBell
19th July 2011, 22:58
Hey guys, anyway of politely saying which forum PT posts on?

Usually referred to as TF here. What is a word for what cars race on? Starts with a T. Add forumdotcom to the end of that word and there you go. You'll be disappointed if you expect to read the PT thread. It's disappeared. Common occurrence over there. If they don't like the points of view being expressed, then the threads go to never never land. PT's account has been suspended because it's been "hacked". Somehow, I don't see him registering and posting there again. But PT is hard to predict.

NickFalzone
20th July 2011, 01:37
I liked this video that Versus did for Edmonton on suspensions:

kSIhxlkCQyM

Mad_Hatter
20th July 2011, 01:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xF8MjfOs18

virtual lap of the new course

NickFalzone
20th July 2011, 03:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xF8MjfOs18

virtual lap of the new course

Nice, was hoping to see one of these. That 3/4" mile straight into T1 looks pretty crazy getting ~200 mph. I like this layout a lot.

00steven
20th July 2011, 03:50
This looks like a very fast and potentially dangerous course. I hope the drivers race smart and take care of each other.

EagleEye
20th July 2011, 04:52
I liked this video that Versus did for Edmonton on suspensions:

kSIhxlkCQyM

We have a pullrod, not pushrod suspension! The front springs and rockers are located on the botton, not top side of the tub. The pullrod goes from the bottom to the top of the wheel upright.

The springs were located there to create a lower center of gravity, when the series ran on ovals only. The 2012 car will have a pushrod suspension.

The series needs to pay a little bit more attention to this kind of thing. First the AutoWeek Bosh Ad that congratulated Panther Racing for winning the 500, and now this flub.

Come on Indycar!

Dr. Krogshöj
20th July 2011, 09:00
This looks like a very fast and potentially dangerous course. I hope the drivers race smart and take care of each other.

I think the drivers have already proved this year that braking into a tight hairpin during two-wide restarts on a wide airport runway isn't a problem for them.

Mark in Oshawa
20th July 2011, 19:21
After seeing the virtual course, I must say I am looking forward to the event...it looks like a great course for passing with a lot of speed tossed in....

chuck34
20th July 2011, 19:29
We have a pullrod, not pushrod suspension! The front springs and rockers are located on the botton, not top side of the tub. The pullrod goes from the bottom to the top of the wheel upright.

The springs were located there to create a lower center of gravity, when the series ran on ovals only. The 2012 car will have a pushrod suspension.

The series needs to pay a little bit more attention to this kind of thing. First the AutoWeek Bosh Ad that congratulated Panther Racing for winning the 500, and now this flub.

Come on Indycar!

Yeah, that was actually a fairly good video explanation for beginners, except for the push vs pull rod bit. Why couldn't they have gotten that right? Just 20 seconds worth of research would have shown them their error. Stupid! :facepalm:

beachbum
20th July 2011, 21:39

Come on Indycar!Considering the cost of building 3D models and animations, this was probably done by Dallara for the new car. Waste waste lots of money on the current car and have to do it over again in a few months?

EagleEye
21st July 2011, 00:58
Considering the cost of building 3D models and animations, this was probably done by Dallara for the new car. Waste waste lots of money on the current car and have to do it over again in a few months?

The video shows the current car, not the new car. Watch the start, and it is pretty obvious. They used the current car for the virtual lap arond the track as well.

The new car is quite different, and it does not take that much time to make the videos. They should get it right and this is the kind of thing that just makes you want to bang your head against the wall.

In any event, it should be an interesting race. I'm heading out tomorrow morning.

I have to thank DF for making some noted changes. Thank you. Hope everyone enjoys the race.

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 15:36
Well, since practice was rained out yesterday in Edmonton, they will practice today at 11:40am & 1:25pm Eastern time. Both sessions are 45 minutes in length. Qualifications will be as scheduled, 5:30PM Eastern.

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 15:38
MST Time Plus 2 for EST, 1 CST
• 8:55-9:25 a.m.: Firestone Indy Lights practice.
• 9:40-10:25 a.m.: IZOD IndyCar Series practice (first-round qualifying groups determined after session)
• 10:40-11:15 a.m.: Firestone Indy Lights Sunoco Pole qualifying.
• 11:25-12:10 a.m.: IZOD IndyCar Series practice.
• 1:45 p.m.: Firestone Indy Lights Race 1 (50 laps).
The three rounds of qualifying for the PEAK Performance Pole Award is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. (live on VERSUS and indycar.com).

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 16:46
P1 is over for Lights. Looks like ICS Times in the High 1teens (1:18ish) for p1

http://i51.tinypic.com/2uol9ts.jpg

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 17:17
http://i55.tinypic.com/6fp5op.jpg

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 17:41
Hinch leads P1...

http://i56.tinypic.com/2zpo2g9.jpg

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 17:41
Results of Practice Session 1..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/edmonton2011practice1.jpg

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 19:10
http://i53.tinypic.com/2zgg77q.jpg

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 19:30
http://i53.tinypic.com/30kfzb5.jpg

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 22:32
The first qualifying group..

#06 James Hinchcliffe
#12 Will Power
#6 Ryan Briscoe
#22 Justin Wilson
#82 Tony Kanaan
#38 Graham Rahal
#2 Oriol Servia
#28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
#77 Alex Tagliani
#26 Marco Andretti
#83 Charlie Kimball
#8 Paul Tracy
#24 Ana Beatriz

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 22:46
The 6 moving on from Group 1 are..

#12 Will Power
#28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
#06 James Hinchcliffe
#2 Oriol Servia
#82 Tony Kanaan
#6 Ryan Briscoe

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 22:48
http://i52.tinypic.com/2hehrix.jpg

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 22:54
Group 2 are..

#78 Simona De Silvestro
#4 JR Hildebrand
#18 James Jakes
#59 EJ Viso
#7 Danica Patrick
#34 Sebastian Saavedra
#5 Takuma Sato
#9 Scott Dixon
#10 Dario Franchitti
#19 Sebastien Bourdais
#3 Helio Castroneves
#27 Mike Conway
#14 Vitor Meira

Mad_Hatter
23rd July 2011, 22:55
Anybody else find it kinda ironic that Helio is 'back to defend his race win'?

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 23:03
The 6 moving on from Group 2 are..

#5 Takuma Sato
#10 Dario Franchitti
#9 Scott Dixon
#59 EJ Viso
#3 Helio Castroneves
#19 Sebastien Bourdais

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 23:05
Anybody else find it kinda ironic that Helio is 'back to defend his race win'?

Yes, but I agree with him, he was the winner, the win was taken away from him.

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 23:05
Group 1
http://i52.tinypic.com/2hehrix.jpg

Group 2
http://i56.tinypic.com/2i238kx.jpg

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 23:06
Here are the drivers of the next group for round 2..

#5 Takuma Sato
#10 Dario Franchitti
#9 Scott Dixon
#59 EJ Viso
#3 Helio Castroneves
#19 Sebastien Bourdais
#12 Will Power
#28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
#06 James Hinchcliffe
#2 Oriol Servia
#82 Tony Kanaan
#6 Ryan Briscoe

DanicaFan
23rd July 2011, 23:17
The Firestone Fast 6 are..

#12 Will Power
#10 Dario Franchitti
#9 Scott Dixon
#5 Takuma Sato
#6 Ryan Briscoe
#59 EJ Viso

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 23:19
http://i54.tinypic.com/r0w2te.jpg

Mad_Hatter
23rd July 2011, 23:30
Its just ironic is all.

Moving on...

Hoop-98
23rd July 2011, 23:43
http://i51.tinypic.com/df97ya.jpg

Mad_Hatter
23rd July 2011, 23:43
Congrats to Takuma Sato on another pole.

00steven
24th July 2011, 00:07

He's really been steping it up lately. Now let's see if he can put a full race together.

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 00:11
Yeah, pretty nice to see someone else on a pole other than Power...

Im just not sure why Danica cant find some speed. I hate it when she qualifies so low.. :(

NickFalzone
24th July 2011, 00:38

Im just not sure why Danica cant find some speed. I hate it when she qualifies so low.. :(

Don't worry, she'll drive in the slow lane all day and manage a top-10 finish.

SoCalPVguy
24th July 2011, 01:31

But....... will he make it through the first turn with crashing ? new book "Sato on the Pole" by Willie Makeit illustrated by Betty Dont

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 03:43
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/edmontonstartinggrid.jpg

NickFalzone
24th July 2011, 03:50
But....... will he make it through the first turn with crashing ? new book "Sato on the Pole" by Willie Makeit illustrated by Betty Dont

I agree. At this rate, he will have smoked more poles than Jenna Jameson.

TURN3
24th July 2011, 05:13

The answer to that is frightenly easy and has been in front of your nose for 5+ years now.

Jag_Warrior
24th July 2011, 07:09

I agree. At this rate, he will have smoked more poles than Jenna Jameson.

My compliments to you both... you're cookin' with gas today! :D

Interesting session. Also nice to see the PSI braking meter on screen. Finally, a technical innovation during a broadcast. Now if they could learn to do sector times, especially during a race, I'd be ecstatic!

Hoop-98
24th July 2011, 16:04
Morning Warmup... Should be fun!

http://i55.tinypic.com/24dfofb.jpg

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 16:48
Danica was 24th quickest in today's warm-up session. Im nervous. This about where she was at Toronto. So Im hoping she stays out of trouble and has good pit strategy to make up spots and have a good finish.

jimispeed
24th July 2011, 17:56
26 in the field........I like that. But a better car is what's really needed. Can't wait for the sound and performance of turbos!!

Should be great though! I'm picking a battle up front between PT and SB at some of the race! Doesn't sound likely, but I'd like to see it!

Dr. Krogshöj
24th July 2011, 18:01
Good to see Sebastien picking up the pace with Coyne, dissappointed with PT's pace. I hope Taku keeps it off the walls this time and gets at least a podium finish.

P. S. What's the deal between Rahal and the Target guys at Ganassi?

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 18:11
Good to see Sebastien picking up the pace with Coyne, dissappointed with PT's pace. I hope Taku keeps it off the walls this time and gets at least a podium finish.

P. S. What's the deal between Rahal and the Target guys at Ganassi?

Not sure. Rahal has looked decent with the Service Central team but Charlie Kimball has struggled with getting up to speed I think as well. I like Charlie but it may be the driver in this case, not the equipment.

00steven
24th July 2011, 18:29
Graham has done a hell of a job this year with a brand new team. Charlie Kimble however, has been a tremendous disapointment all year.

I really am liking the progress Bourdais and Coyne have made, maybe they can get a podium soon!

SarahFan
24th July 2011, 18:46
Wonder how PT is feeling about turning down the coyne ride right about now

Mad_Hatter
24th July 2011, 18:47
I'm getting the feeling Sato will be able to hold a solid run together today. He's getting a bit more comfortable running up front.

Graham has done a hell of a job this year with a brand new team...

I wonder how long it will last with there being alot of tension between them and the TCGR guys.

SarahFan
24th July 2011, 19:04
Anyone know which driver didn't have contact in Toronto?

And I agree starter.... Time to hang it up for PT

SarahFan
24th July 2011, 19:06
Tony and Justin ..... Rules state we have to leave the door open

Exactly!

Mad_Hatter
24th July 2011, 19:25
Dont get me wrong I like the telemetry, it the timing sync just needs to be fixed. Its been like that for several years now...

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 20:11
Danica is moving up!!

00steven
24th July 2011, 20:48
Very disappointed in some of the moves guys are making. The two moves going into turn 5 were insane and didn't even have a chance of being a complete pass.

gm99
24th July 2011, 20:51
Doesn't appear like anyone had learned any lesson at all from Toronto...

Mad_Hatter
24th July 2011, 20:55
I expect better from RHR...

Hoop-98
24th July 2011, 20:56
Fastest Laps

http://i55.tinypic.com/29dze6v.jpg

00steven
24th July 2011, 20:58
I expect better from RHR...

Me too. I really like Ryan, but you just can't make those moves, especially at this stage in the race.

Chris R
24th July 2011, 21:06
didn't catch the beginning of the race- what happened to Rahal (and Tracy)?? It is good to have a driver in the booth - sorry it ended up being Graham

Mad_Hatter
24th July 2011, 21:10
Rahal had his tire cut by Tagliani and two or three turns later spun into Tracy's path.

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 21:39
Unfortunately Danica's tires are falling away faster than others so she is dropping a couple spots.. :(

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 21:50
Congrats to Will Power for the win.

Hoop-98
24th July 2011, 21:59
Fastest Laps;

http://i53.tinypic.com/rldpvc.jpg

DanicaFan
24th July 2011, 22:25
Final Results..

1. #12 Will Power
2. #3 Helio Castroneves
3. #10 Dario Franchitti
4. #82 Tony Kanaan
5. #22 Justin Wilson
6. #19 Sebastien Bourdais
7. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
8. #27 Mike Conway
9. #7 Danica Patrick
10. #6 Ryan Briscoe
11. #4 JR Hildebrand
12. #14 Vitor Meira
13. #24 Ana Beatriz
14. #26 Marco Andretti
15. #06 James Hinchcliffe
16. #34 Sebastian Saavedra
17. #77 Alex Tagliani
18. #18 James Jakes
19. #83 Charlie Kimball
20. #59 EJ Viso
21. #5 Takuma Sato
22. #2 Oriol Servia
23. #9 Scott Dixon
24. #78 Simona De Silvestro
25. #38 Graham Rahal
26. #8 Paul Tracy

TURN3
24th July 2011, 22:30
Unfortunately Danica's tires are falling away faster than others so she is dropping a couple spots.. :(

Tires had nothing to do with it. The fact Bourdais, Weazy, and RHR are light years faster than she is might have more to do with it. How pathetic is it that you get that excited over clinging to a top 10? She's horrible...moving on.

TURN3
24th July 2011, 22:33
I'm thinking it's not the ride so much as the driver. There is a reason that none of the big teams were interested in hiring him. PT's day is done. Though he gets points for perseverance in hanging around to get any ride.

I think that is a ridiculous evaluation. The reason none of the bigger teams want him is because Ganassi and Penske are full and the rest operate almost solely on driver brought sponsers. Seems he hasn't had any trouble getting rides with the money he's brought the past few years. I'm very interested in seeing him run with Dragon next year with a full program.

SarahFan
24th July 2011, 22:57
Did dragon/PT really have no telemetry on Saturday?

TURN3
24th July 2011, 23:03
Did dragon/PT really have no telemetry on Saturday?

That was the report. With the tools that team is apparently dealing with, I wonder how much more ahead they'd be if they'd put what they have in the bank and go after it next year. I suppose with only 1 more race left it doesn't matter but it has to be hard convincing a sponsor to stay on next year when you're out there running like they are.

Nikki Katz
24th July 2011, 23:49
They really need to crack down on the stupid moves. Saying that the driver doesn't need a further penalty as they had to pit is just wrong - they're allowed to refuel etc so if the safety car had come out at the wrong point it could have thrown eg Tagliani into the lead. The ones that were given penalties were only given small ones too. I don't think that the side by side restarts are helping things, they shouldn't really be trying to emulate Nascar, which has stupid amounts of contact anyway.

But at least it was better than the last race!

Mark in Oshawa
24th July 2011, 23:56
Starter, it pains me to admit it, but I think you may be right. PT has been with poor teams or maybe less fortunate teams for so long now he is always trying to drive over his head to make up the difference. In Toronto, he moved right up through the pack into the top 10 before he had that brain dead moment of trying to run around Hinch on the outside going into 5. He just cannot back off at any point in his mind and it kills him.....He has the speed and race craft if he would just dial it back a bit. The problem is, he is Paul Tracy, he had no way of dialing it back. He is full throttle all the time....

AS for the race, first kudo's to whomever designed that track. Despite the tales and predictions of carnage, we didn't get it. The restarts and start were nice and neat because with that long straight, they had no excuse not to be lined up. They didn't all wad up in one...and for whatever reason kept wadding up in 5. It makes NO sense to me, but the last time I met a really smart group of racing drivers, they worked on their own cars!

It was a good race, not a great one. Will and the Target boys ambushed Sato and I felt bad for Sato since he did his best to run a clean race and just had no help at all from his car or from lady luck. EJ Viso didn't disappoint me, he wrecked into people as he usually does. Tags did, because he used to be smarter than this. It was all in all an interesting race, not a great one.

AS for the Danica controversay, I am going to say she stayed out of trouble all day. She ran as well as she could without actually getting aggressive. It is what she does. She gets around the race track ok, she is good at picking her spot on the track and staying there. I don't think there is anything wrong with that if your sole goal was to learn. The problem is with her, after 8 years or so of this stuff, she drives like a rookie. Ana and Simona have both been unafraid to mix it up. As for Danica's lousy qualifying DF, if she spent more time learning the engineering, understanding the dynamics, she can give better feedback. The problem is with Danica, when she aint in the car, she don't hang around......

00steven
25th July 2011, 00:13
Good drive by Power today. It's ashame that RHR had to take Sato and Himself out of contention, I thought both of them had a real shot to win.

Sateryn76
25th July 2011, 01:34
Good drive by Power today. It's ashame that RHR had to take Sato and Himself out of contention, I thought both of them had a real shot to win.

Ummm....RHR finished 7th. That's a good finish, IMO, especially when you consider his season. He took out Sato, in a nasty and stupid hit.

I was shocked by the hits today - RHR, Tagliani and Conway all made really stupid mistakes that effected the results of some good drivers. They were so bad, they almost looked deliberate.

Maybe it's time to put some teeth into the penalties? I mean, RHR takes out the pole sitter in an aggressive and uncalled for move, and he finishes 7th? Tags just plain bashes into people, subsequently causing a multi-car crash, and leads the race? That's terrible. They should have gotten some harder penalties, because their moves were completely avoidable and had serious consequences.

00steven
25th July 2011, 02:11
Ummm....RHR finished 7th. That's a good finish, IMO, especially when you consider his season. He took out Sato, in a nasty and stupid hit.

I was shocked by the hits today - RHR, Tagliani and Conway all made really stupid mistakes that effected the results of some good drivers. They were so bad, they almost looked deliberate.

Maybe it's time to put some teeth into the penalties? I mean, RHR takes out the pole sitter in an aggressive and uncalled for move, and he finishes 7th? Tags just plain bashes into people, subsequently causing a multi-car crash, and leads the race? That's terrible. They should have gotten some harder penalties, because their moves were completely avoidable and had serious consequences.

I meant it took them out of contention for the win.

I agree with you that contact that looks completely avoidable should result in a harsher penalty. Perhaps a lap would be better than a drive through.

TURN3
25th July 2011, 05:37
I suggest you take a look at his average finishing position this season. Then compare it to the rest of the field, including that female driver you so enjoy dumping on. He does not fare well in comparison to the others.

He may still be colorful, but he's not so fast anymore. His judgment is also suspect (and always has been) as he more often than not takes boneheaded chances.

I'm not denying the results have not been there this part time season, no doubt about that. I'm also not suggesting that he is as good as he was even 5 years ago. You have to admit, the deck has been stacked against him these past several years being a part time driver though. In that space of time, he's performed quite well even when the finishes haven't always been. To use a single track, Toronto. 2 years ago he gets stuffed into the wall taking 2nd place and possibly wins that race. Last year as the 4th KV car the crew screwed up the suspension geometry during practice and quals. Starts blind on the fixed setup and storms through the field. Ended up leading laps (on strategy) but raced strong until the harmless spin when he locked up on the brakes. This year was strong up to P6 when the run in with Hinch happened. Hinch washed into his sidepod, hard racing on both parts.

There have been other examples of strong runs also (i.e. Edmonton 3x, Mid-Ohio, etc.) No denying there is something missing but all of that in just the past 2+ years tells me it has more to do with the complete package than the driver. I'd still pick him out of the top 10 drivers I'd want racing my car. Certainly wouldn't want someone that practices and qualifies 22 thru 24 and only drives to keep the car on track if it were my car. Name of the game is to win.