PDA

View Full Version : Please help me contact this person... so we can go car shopping together!

Jag_Warrior
13th July 2011, 01:40
If Njoku will walk into my local Porsche/Jaguar dealership with me by his side, when he orders the new 911 (that's coming his way, courtesy of Chase), I'm certain that I can get 10% off my next purchase.

Chase Bank Is Finally Very Sorry for Having Man Thrown in Jail for No Reason (http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/07/chase_bank_is_very_sorry_for_h.php)

As KING 5 reported this week, 28-year-old Ikenna Njoku went to a Chase Bank inside a Fred Meyer in Auburn on June 24 of last year with a $8,463.21 tax-refund check. This check was actually issued by Chase itself, as it had been deposited in Njoku's closed Chase account by the government and had fees deducted by the bank for past overdrafts. Finally the difference was mailed to him in the form of a bank-issued cashier's check.

So Njoku apparently went into the bank to cash this check, and the teller immediately became suspicious of him. She supposedly started asking things like what he did for a living and where he got the check, and "looking [him] up and down."

The teller was so suspicious, in fact, that she refused to cash the check and instead had it held. Njoku eventually got frustrated and left the bank, then he called a customer-service agent who told him to come back the following day to get his money.

But when he showed up at the bank the next day, the police were waiting, and he was quickly arrested for a felony charge of trying to cash a forged check.

The check wasn't forged, of course, but nonetheless Njoku was taken to jail.

The next day--a Friday--Chase apparently realized it had made a big mistake and had someone put a call in to the Auburn Police detective handling the case. But the detective was off that day and didn't get the message until Monday morning.

The agent never bothered to call anyone else at the police station.

So for four nights and five days total, Njoku stayed in jail. His car was towed and impounded. And he was fired from his job for not coming in.

When he finally got out, Chase still wouldn't give him his check immediately, which he needed to cover things like the impound and tow fees that his car had racked up. So when he couldn't afford to get the car from the impound lot, it was auctioned off.

Worst of all, for a solid year, Njoku apparently tried to get an answer or some compensation from Chase, and for the whole year the bank ignored him.

That is, until he finally lawyered up and talked to the press.

Dude... please... call... me. :love:

555-04Q2
13th July 2011, 06:20
A far more pressing issue is, who the hell still uses cheque's? This is the 21st century for heavens sake!!!!!

Bob Riebe
13th July 2011, 06:57
Let's see you find it odd that some one uses a paper check, which the bank screws him over with, but that it is more intelligent to use electronic banking for which no paper trail exists and if a bank decides to screw you, you are so screwed, that only a moron would put his faith in such an account?

Daniel
13th July 2011, 10:34
A far more pressing issue is, who the hell still uses cheque's? This is the 21st century for heavens sake!!!!!

Ummmm a lot of people? I got a tax refund in the form of a cheque but luckily didn't get jailed :p

Alexamateo
13th July 2011, 14:17

I sell business to business in construction (shipping product from multiple vendors by tractor-trailer) and almost exclusively use checks. In fact, I hate it when customers want to pay with credit cards as they take 2.5-4% in fees depending on the type of card and that comes straight off the bottom line. The same goes for vendors we buy from, they almost exclusively want a check. (Keep in mind that almost none of this business is face-to-face.) The only good thing about credit cards is that they speed the process when you are selling to someone new that you don't know, you get your money and begin to establish trust, but once credit-worthiness is established I would rather just have a check.

There are even some notorious vendors who never give credit to anyone that we start off with paying by credit card, but once they figure out who we are, they are apt to say, "Don't worry about paying in advance by card, just send a check next week."

555-04Q2
16th July 2011, 19:32
I am amazed that people still use cheques!!!!! We do our transactions via electronic payments!

Mark in Oshawa
19th July 2011, 17:06
I am amazed that people still use cheques!!!!! We do our transactions via electronic payments!

Electronic payments are great BUT, what about where I rent? I give my landlord a check every month. I don't want him having access in any way shape or form to my bank account.

Alex's example in business is also very true. My mother in law's business is always done with checks. Campers paying for their seasonal site pay with checks. VISA charges to process with their services....and so does Master Card. People who run businesses use checks because giving percentage points to the credit companies to do work you can do is just not smart.