PDA

View Full Version : Greg Erwin out as Biffle crew chief

Jonesi
11th July 2011, 22:05
Just announced on NascarNow.

00steven
11th July 2011, 22:25
Interesting, I don't really think that such a move was warranted quite yet but I guess we will see.

Mark in Oshawa
14th July 2011, 19:35
Interesting, I don't really think that such a move was warranted quite yet but I guess we will see.

It was...Biffle always went in streaks with Erwin, and at Roush Fenway, failure really isn't an option.

Sparky1329
14th July 2011, 22:50
I'm surprised he lasted this long.

00steven
15th July 2011, 03:54
I guess I don't see what you two see in Greg Biffle. I just don't think he's a serious threat anymore.

Mark in Oshawa
16th July 2011, 08:01
I guess I don't see what you two see in Greg Biffle. I just don't think he's a serious threat anymore.

He wins races in spurts, and usually makes the chase. That is enough to merit a good crew chief. It isn't whether I think he is any good or not, if Jack does, then he will keep swapping people in and out for a while to determine it truly is the driver..but Biff usually runs pretty well, and if he doesn't, he has had some awful luck not of his own making on pit road or with situations.

slorydn1
19th July 2011, 16:11
Sniffle, as I have been calling him since 2001, is one of those drivers I don't like. That said, he can drive. He has proven it time and time again. He was won with most crew chiefs that he has had. That said, he has had alot of them, just in Cup alone. Like Mark said, he goes through a period where he wins and runs up front alot, then something happens and he drops off the map-completely, then another crew chief becomes unemployed. He must be extremely difficult to work with.

00steven
19th July 2011, 16:23
Sniffle, as I have been calling him since 2001, is one of those drivers I don't like. That said, he can drive. He has proven it time and time again. He was won with most crew chiefs that he has had. That said, he has had alot of them, just in Cup alone. Like Mark said, he goes through a period where he wins and runs up front alot, then something happens and he drops off the map-completely, then another crew chief becomes unemployed. He must be extremely difficult to work with.

From hearing some of his radio rants, I believe he would be very dificult to work with. Maybe more than our two drivers.

Mark in Oshawa
19th July 2011, 17:36
From hearing some of his radio rants, I believe he would be very dificult to work with. Maybe more than our two drivers.

There isnt too many drivers who don't rant and rave when things aint right, and the Biff isn't an exception.

He had Erwin for a long time, and won for a while with him. I think his tenure with Erwin outlasted a few Roush Fenway shakeups....

Biff wants to run up front. No different than the Busch's, Tony Stewart, Jr., JJ, Jeffy or anyone else...and when he isn't, he is gonna be vocal. I remember hearing Harvick rip up a crew chief or two. He hasn't done so of late because he has just been real good with Martin....but I am not at every race with a scanner. All these guys in the heat of battle are a pain in the @ss....it is how they are in the garage, in the meetings or anywhere else that is the real test of how they are to work with....and we don't see that.

slorydn1
19th July 2011, 17:43

Maybe-I will say that had they pulled that BS on me like they did with the failed cool box I would have been every bit as colorful on the radio as he was, and I probably would have been paying some fines for my post race interview, LOL.

Both Harv and Shrub are extremley caustic on the radio when things aren't going well, yes. But their teams and crew cheif's would take a bullet for them. Why is that?

Harv has had 3 CC's during his cup career. His first, Kevin Hamlin, just flat out couldn't stand him. Keep in mind, he had been Dale Sr's CC and here comes this young "punk" who won a few races his rookie year but had a chip on his shoulder. His second (and his current) was Gil Martin. That swap took place in early 2002 to appease Hamlin, and although 2002 was a putrid year for Harv, they did win Chicagoland together. In 2003 RC decided to do some more shuffling around as none of the RCR teams were running well, and he moved Berrier over to the 29 which worked all the way until the middle of 2009. Berrier and Harvick are still close friends as they have a mutual friend in Delana Harvick (Todd was the one who hooked them up together back in Harv's early Busch Series days), and they won the 2001 Busch Series championship together. The only reason why they arent still together is that RC wanted to swap all the CC's around again to create a spark as no one was running particularly well in 2009-and Harv wasn't real happy about the swap to start with. Gil Martin ended back up with Harvick and the rest is history.

Shrub is pretty much in the same when it comes to that-Gustafson stayed with Hendrick when Shrub was shown the door. He and Addington won a bunch of races together, but he left when the performance dropped. Now Rogers is doing a fine job as Shrubs Cup crew cheif after so much success with him in the Nationwide series.

Both drivers current CC's knew what they were getting into with their respective drivers based on previous experience with them, and neither find their driver particularly hard to work with-caustic radio traffic aside.

Biffle's CC's end up doing TV on Speed after dealing with him, LOL...

00steven
19th July 2011, 17:55
I agree that the difference is the rest of the guys win. Biff on the other hand wins a race about every two years, that just isn't good enough in Cup at a top 4 team in NASCAR.

00steven
19th July 2011, 18:47
Just saw that Greg Irwin has been hired to become A.J. Allmendinger's Crew Chief

00steven
19th July 2011, 22:08
Just saw that Greg Irwin has been hired to become A.J. Allmendinger's Crew Chief

My bad, I meant Erwin.

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2011, 16:46
I agree that the difference is the rest of the guys win. Biff on the other hand wins a race about every two years, that just isn't good enough in Cup at a top 4 team in NASCAR.

Biff wins a little more than that....and at Roush, he won more often than Ragan and MacMurray when he was there. Sort of the theory not being faster than everyone when the bear is chasing you, just being faster than the slowest guy.

harvick#1
21st July 2011, 21:53
seems we have a new "DF" fan here, Biffle is a solid driver, he is #3 at Roush but he still is a threat to win anywhere when the car setup is right, except maybe for a road course (but I believe he did win at Portland in the Trucks). for a driver to win now has to have a car basically roll off the truck near perfect to have a good shot*. if Biffle went to Gibbs Steven, he'd be prolly the #2 driver behind Busch. the top drivers are all extremely close now, and each really have their own style in racing.

*except for Martinsville and Charlotte this year :p :

00steven
21st July 2011, 22:03
I am not a DF. I don't go around saying Kyle is going to win every race. In fact, I used to not like Kyle at all back in the day. But his driving talent won me over.

As for Biffle, I believe he is nearing the end of his career and isn't the threat he used to be.