PDA

View Full Version : Barrichello - A career ruined by a terrible attitude?

Alfa Fan
11th July 2011, 13:20
Discuss.

I don't remember him ever being positive about anything. Ever. He always plays being a victim, against Schey 2000-2005, and then against Button in 2009.

The latest whining is because his team has said they want to keep him!! Williams expects to retain Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado for 2012 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93037)

Did those 6 years playing sub-servant to MS cause this? I don't remember his moaning being anywhere near as bad in the Jordan & Stewart days.

F1boat
11th July 2011, 16:22
Yes, he is a whiner, IMO. And he is not right about Ferrari. The 2nd driver thing was in his contract and he received good money for this contract.

555-04Q2
11th July 2011, 19:03
I quite often see people claim the number two role was penciled into his contract at Ferrari but have never seen a copy of it. Was this published in a book or has the contract ever been made public?

Its called bullsh!t ;)

SGWilko
11th July 2011, 19:23
Its called bullsh!t ;)

We should task that ginger bird at the NOTW to investigate..........

555-04Q2
11th July 2011, 19:24
He would find nothing out of the ordinary ;)

SGWilko
11th July 2011, 19:47
He would find nothing out of the ordinary ;)

She's a he? Blimey, that's a headline right there! :laugh:

555-04Q2
11th July 2011, 19:52
Oops, I cocked that one up :eek: Was supposed to be She not He :p :

SGWilko
11th July 2011, 19:59
Oops, I cocked that one up :eek: Was supposed to be She not He :p :

Mind you, saying that, she's not exactly Gods gift.... :laugh:

555-04Q2
11th July 2011, 20:01
Mind you, saying that, she's not exactly Gods gift.... :laugh:

No arguments here :p :

wedge
12th July 2011, 00:36
Discuss.

I don't remember him ever being positive about anything. Ever. He always plays being a victim, against Schey 2000-2005, and then against Button in 2009.

The latest whining is because his team has said they want to keep him!! Williams expects to retain Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado for 2012 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93037)

Did those 6 years playing sub-servant to MS cause this? I don't remember his moaning being anywhere near as bad in the Jordan & Stewart days.

Doesn't appear Rubens is moaning. Seems there's some sort of problem with negotiations.

Apart from the last season with Ferrari I don't remember Rubens being much of a moaner. In fact he was a very good servant. He made the team look bad in Austria '01-02 by letting Schumi through on the last lap. He could've milked the situation even further, but didn't.

And by the same token you think Webber too is whiner?

Yes, he is a whiner, IMO. And he is not right about Ferrari. The 2nd driver thing was in his contract and he received good money for this contract.

Explicitly, no, but I seem to remember in 2009 Rubens did hint at threats and references being made via the contract/small print.

Rollo
12th July 2011, 00:59
Barrichello - A career ruined by a terrible attitude?

Discuss.

Barrichello - 11 GP wins, the most GP starts of any driver, chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, fastest "Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car".

Has his career actually been ruined by a terrible attitude? I don't think so. It's been a long and reasonably successful career. Sure, he probably wouldn't have ever been World Champion but that can be said for a lot of drivers on the grid.

I'd trade working in an office for driving a Formula One car as a job. Wouldn't you?

N. Jones
12th July 2011, 03:12
I'd trade working in an office for driving a Formula One car as a job. Wouldn't you?

My answer is YES.

Mark
12th July 2011, 10:18
Barrichello - fastest "Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car".

No, that's Vettel.

F1boat
12th July 2011, 11:17
D
Explicitly, no, but I seem to remember in 2009 Rubens did hint at threats and references being made via the contract/small print.

I think that even earlier he admitted that in the contract it was written that he "should help the team".

F1boat
12th July 2011, 11:18
D

I think that even earlier he admitted that in the contract it was written that he "should help the team".

The Black Knight
12th July 2011, 11:26

The 2nd driver at Ferrari wasn't pencilled into his contract. He admitted that himself, I think, on Top Gear. I might be wrong about this but I remember him admitting it somewhere?

Anyway, he simply wasn't as fast as MS and that's why he was number two.

He has always been whiney. He has always been inconsistent. These are the two reasons why he never has and never will become world champion. He is as quick as anyone on his day but he can never pull it together for a a season. If he could have then he'd have been World Champion in 2009.

Sonic
12th July 2011, 12:58
For a 'ruined' career he's done alright for himself. Spent the last twenty odd years doing, and getting paid very well, for a job he loves.

Would I describe him as a whiner? Perhaps, but he has always responded best when he felt like he was at a team where he was loved.

Koz
12th July 2011, 14:12
Discuss.

Now, did he expect to be no1 in Ferrari when Eddie Irvine, who was very nearly champ, left the team because he would always be a no2 to Shoe??
He did not notice that the entire team was devoted to the Shoe?
That half the team followed him from Benetton?

He knew what he was getting into.
The one thing I don't know is, did he sign a 6 year contract or did he renew it at some point?
If he did renew it at some point, it just proves that he is more than just a whiner, he's a little sellout bitch, too.

Brawn... Yeah, he had the fastest car on the grid and failed to impress.. How many races did he win compared to his teammate (at least, when their car was fastest)? He has half as many podiums as Button has Wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ioMuyHpTE&NR=1
Cool move bro.

wedge
12th July 2011, 19:36
For a 'ruined' career he's done alright for himself. Spent the last twenty odd years doing, and getting paid very well, for a job he loves.

Would I describe him as a whiner? Perhaps, but he has always responded best when he felt like he was at a team where he was loved.

Not WDC material but a solid no.2 driver with solid drives. Most drivers would love to replicate that sort career a la DC, Patrese, Berger - whereas others were/are of a higher level.

'Ruined', IMHO, is the wrong word to describe RB's career. More like tainted which well evident in his whining in 2009.

Kevincal
14th July 2011, 05:38
It seems to me Imola 1994 had a huge impact on his career. You can't blame him, but I think he lost his edge after that weekend... He is a super nice guy but just does not drive fast enough. That's all.

Arjuna
14th July 2011, 10:43
Ruben played important role for prolonged domination of Schue and Ferrari, perhaps designated the same supportive driver for Jenson Button. He's fast, slow driver won't be able to perform the job successfully. Ruben is nice guy, whenever he had chance to take victory he's appreciative to the team, we may find him being touched with happy weeps during post-race conference.

Mia 01
14th July 2011, 11:56
Rubens is an man, very fast on his day, reminds me of Mark Webber.

Retro Formula 1
14th July 2011, 12:14
I think Rubens is a nice guy that sold his soul. Bit of a pity really but when looking at the Brazilians record, you must also bear in mind a certain Germans record who he also helped.

wedge
14th July 2011, 15:37
It seems to me Imola 1994 had a huge impact on his career. You can't blame him, but I think he lost his edge after that weekend... He is a super nice guy but just does not drive fast enough. That's all.

Your point is laughable at best

Kevincal
14th July 2011, 19:51
Oh really? His idol killed and himself almost killed in the same weekend? Oh right, I'm sure that didn't have any kind of long term impact on him...

driveace
14th July 2011, 21:36
The big problem with a lot of drivers is when they marry,and have a wife and children at home,that they stop taking risks,and become a safe driver,as they know the family need him home that night.The fastest drivers are the single ones !

Bagwan
14th July 2011, 22:28
He's gotten to drive a lot a fast cars for more races than anyone else , and is a multi-millionaire as a result .

If it's been a ruined career , it's been a long time ruining , and looks like it may continue as well .

That said , his pout is not pretty .

zako85
14th July 2011, 22:37
I have been following all the F1 news on crash.net this year and I don't remember anything resembling Barrichello whining. Some time in April/May he gave a highly critical interviews criticizing Williams performance, but it was well deserved. I wouldn't call that whining.

Retro Formula 1
15th July 2011, 00:43
I have been following all the F1 news on crash.net this year and I don't remember anything resembling Barrichello whining. Some time in April/May he gave a highly critical interviews criticizing Williams performance, but it was well deserved. I wouldn't call that whining.

I like Rubens but think he should have been a little more opinionated when rolling over at Ferrari.

As for the crap about Senna's death, (in reply to an earlier post)I don't remember Schumacher falling to pieces about Roland. Sorry to be harsh but nobody remembers Paolo or Graham, the Marshall that died after the Senna and Ratzenberger deaths.

Kevincal
15th July 2011, 07:53
But at the end of the day, the truth hurts. He has been beaten soundly by every single teammate he has ever had... He just doesn't have what it takes. Unfortunately Massa is taking after him...

Whyzars
15th July 2011, 12:34
Rubens could've hung up his helmet years ago but has chosen to stick around. He is obviously still contributing positive things to the sport otherwise he'd be gone. I really think he would have to be caught doing something very ugly before he could ever "ruin" the career that he has had.

I admit that I haven't seen Rubens in that many interviews but I don't think I've seen one yet where he comes across as anything but a bloody likeable millionaire.

:)

Malbec
15th July 2011, 13:15
I read a book about Jordan's first years in F1 a few months back. Even then in his first years in F1 Rubens seemed to have a reputation for being emotional and slightly variable in his performance depending on his mood.

It didn't stop him from having one of the longest F1 careers in history has it? I wouldn't say his career has been ruined. I think there are plenty of drivers out there who would kill to have had their careers 'ruined' in the way Rubens has...

wedge
15th July 2011, 14:05
Oh really? His idol killed and himself almost killed in the same weekend? Oh right, I'm sure that didn't have any kind of long term impact on him...

Rubens and DC had a titanic battle in British F3 with Rubens coming out on top.

Both ended becoming top #2 drivers consistently battling for wins and podiums. Not even rated drivers like Fisi could replicate that sort of feat when he was in an apex team with Renault in 2005-06.

That shows Rubens was a high calibre driver.

Despite not even winning a WDC it is an enviable career a lot of drivers who would kill to have.

airshifter
16th July 2011, 06:05
I wish I could ruin a career as bad as Rubens has.

In the top half of the field the majority of his F1 career, with several WDC standings in the top 5. Overall he seems like a good guy, and has spent the better part of his life racing, and much of that racing for above average teams.

Like many other F1 drivers over the years, he's had good and bad days. But how many people could sit around with the grandkids and talk about the day the team made him pull over to let Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari catch up to and pass him? :)

555-04Q2
16th July 2011, 18:24
The big problem with a lot of drivers is when they marry,and have a wife and children at home,that they stop taking risks,and become a safe driver,as they know the family need him home that night.The fastest drivers are the single ones !

True racers don't think like that.

wedge
17th July 2011, 01:05

Conversely in the early 2000s I seem to remember Nigel Roebuck alleging un-named top driver(s) had too many distractions with the female of the species! Methinks he was referring to DC/JV.

driveace
17th July 2011, 11:09
True racers don't think like that.
Name me a married guy with a wife and children who is regulary winning races ,we should assume they dont think like that,but it is a big factor,

555-04Q2
17th July 2011, 16:16
Name me a married guy with a wife and children who is regulary winning races ,we should assume they dont think like that,but it is a big factor,

I see one in the mirror whenever I shave. Busy building a new Harper to race next year and my wife is sh!tt!ng herself.

SGWilko
17th July 2011, 16:51
I see one in the mirror whenever I shave. Busy building a new Harper to race next year and my wife is sh!tt!ng herself.

You need Tena Lady...... ;)

555-04Q2
17th July 2011, 17:05
:laugh:

D28
17th July 2011, 17:35

Sir Jack Brabham won his last F1 race in 1970, at which time the eldest of his 3 sons was 18. His 3 World Championships came while he had a young family. Obviously, family did not affect his pace.

Mia 01
17th July 2011, 17:48
I think Massa, Heidfield and Trulli all are married and have children, winning, naah, whining, yes to some extent.

Iīm feeling thatīs soon Alonsos and Hamiltons turn to make some children.

SGWilko
17th July 2011, 18:17
I think Massa, Heidfield and Trulli all are married and have children, winning, naah, whining, yes to some extent.

Iīm feeling thatīs soon Alonsos and Hamiltons turn to make some children.

Alonso will have a baby eyebrow........

Probably. :laugh:

steveaki13
17th July 2011, 20:24
The first name that springs to mind is Michael Schumacher. He married his wife in 1995 and they had their first child in 1997 which was then followed by their second in 1999. His children were very young when he was fighting for championships yet it had no reflection on his racing and his risk taking from what I saw. Its still rare to have a driver in this position though. :)

Exactly who sprang to my mind. He only won the odd 60 races after his second child in 99.