PDA

View Full Version : Motorsport LIVE - Can't beat it........watch your ears though

mickw
8th July 2011, 18:49
The whole experience of going to see F1 live is an explosion of sights, smells and sounds. You can't beat the experience. Something like Monaco adds to the fun as the place is buzzing with atmosphere. Seeing an F1 race is one of those things everyone should do before they die!
One problem as you get older though is the noise. It is seriously loud. I got hold of some ear defenders called Surefire EP6 signature series. The great thing about them is they are not cans, they slip into your ear and somehow just block the loud sound levels. That means you can still talk to people and even use your mobile, but don't get the deafening noise levels.
If you get a headache due to the noise then F1 is the last place you want to be. The screaming engines rip right through you and what should be a buzz can ruin your day.
I am surprised that Health & Safety haven't made an issue of the noise at the race, only a matter of time. But I suppose you should look after your ears...

ioan
8th July 2011, 21:50
I got hold of some ear defenders called Surefire EP6 signature series. The great thing about them is they are not cans, they slip into your ear and somehow just block the loud sound levels. That means you can still talk to people and even use your mobile, but don't get the deafening noise levels.

Sure you can use your mobile but what for? Certainly not pleasant for the person on the other end getting the 'deafening noise levels'.

And BTW watching motorsport on TV is much better than live, you get all the action around the track with relays and real time info.

steveaki13
8th July 2011, 21:59
Sure you can use your mobile but what for? Certainly not pleasant for the person on the other end getting the 'deafening noise levels'.

And BTW watching motorsport on TV is much better than live, you get all the action around the track with relays and real time info.

I agree watching the race on TV is better for seeing all the action.

But the excitement is 10 fold as you and 100,000 others hear the revs rise at the start and then the field rush past on lap 1. Magic.

Also if you have never been to an F1 race, imagine how loud you think the cars are, then triple it at least. It is brilliant but if you are close it does rattle your head, and you can get a headache.

Also the smell and getting splashed by spray from the cars all adds up to one of the best things I have ever been too.

ioan
8th July 2011, 22:57
I agree watching the race on TV is better for seeing all the action.

But the excitement is 10 fold as you and 100,000 others hear the revs rise at the start and then the field rush past on lap 1. Magic.

Also if you have never been to an F1 race, imagine how loud you think the cars are, then triple it at least. It is brilliant but if you are close it does rattle your head, and you can get a headache.

Also the smell and getting splashed by spray from the cars all adds up to one of the best things I have ever been too.

Been there done that, back in 2003, never went again. It's just my personal opinion that it's much better to watch it with friends on TV and be able to see it and comment it all! :D

intheway
8th July 2011, 23:10
Rally... now that's something that's definitely better seen live than on TV... seeing as it's generally not on TV live!

It's a great day out... map-reading searching for good spots on the stages, and sometimes getting ridiculously close to the action.

IceWizard
13th July 2011, 23:42
I was at Silverstone last week and was surprised at just how loud it was. At the corners where the cars are going slower and you're further away from the track it was fine, but then I tried standing next to the Hangar Straight and the vibration in my ears was too painful after a few minutes.... that was only Friday practice so can't imagine what it would be like with a whole pack of cars going past in the race. Oh well, all part of the fun.

Retro Formula 1
14th July 2011, 11:40
Been there done that, back in 2003, never went again. It's just my personal opinion that it's much better to watch it with friends on TV and be able to see it and comment it all! :D

That explains quite a bit ;) Seriously, I can't understand why someone would prefer to watch it on a box rather than being there, with the dodgy burgers, expensive watery beer, putrid toilets etc. Actually, I thought I was beginning to understand your point until I remembered one little thing.... The sound, smell and rush of adrenalin as the first car blasts past.

Pink Floyd must have had you in mind when they wrote Wish You Were Here.

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Mark in Oshawa
15th July 2011, 19:10
After being at the Honda Indy, I can say there is a lot to be said for watching it at home. But you miss the smell of the cars, the noise, and the physical assault on the senses as a car screams by. Not to mention the beautiful women everywhere and all the other things celebrating the automobile.

I think it is why NASCAR is popular though, because at least on an oval track, you can see all the action, and not be deprived of the noise of all that power. Sprint Cup Races to me are not shown to their best advantage on TV more so than other forms of racing. I did f1 years ago, and loved it, and have always gone back for the IMSA Sportscars of the ALMS at Mosport; and the Indy Cars in Toronto, but to me, being at a NASCAR race at least allows you to see more...and some of those tracks are just great spectacles in themselves....

airshifter
16th July 2011, 06:58
To really see the absolute best of motorsport does take good TV coverage in some if not many cases. You see all the angles, the replays, the times, and plenty of other things hard to catch when you go and watch it live.

But to really experience motorsport, you just have to go, at least a few times here and there. I've been to more different types of motorsport than I can easily list, and quite a few of them I thought would be less than exciting to be honest. But when you go in person and experience the entire atmosphere that is rarely the case.

On another note, are we responding to spam? :laugh: