PDA

View Full Version : South Africa

UltimateDanGTR
7th July 2011, 16:20
‘Cape Town Grand Prix by 2013’ - IOL Motoring F1 Grand Prix | IOL.co.za (http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/f1-grand-prix/cape-town-grand-prix-by-2013-1.1094505)

South Africa could return as soon as 2013, in Cape Town ofcourse. With the possibility of going through the football stadium there, albeit in a 'mickey mouse' style section. Still, it could be fun.

One of 3 Proposes layouts, and the favourite to be used: http://www.blabla.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Cape-Town-F1-Circuit-w800_thumb.jpg

intheway
7th July 2011, 16:43
Through a stadium could be quite cool - if you get a good view of the braking zone coming in to it at least.

steveaki13
7th July 2011, 18:39
We are struggling to fit in new GP's but that is quite a good idea. You could sell 70,000 seats before even thinking about the rest of the circuit. Think of the noise.

intheway
7th July 2011, 19:21
Vettel did a few burnouts and donuts in the Red Bull at the Race of Champions last year... completely indoor stadium. Yes... there was noise! They also had to crank up the ventilation for half an hour to clear the tyre smoke!

UltimateDanGTR
7th July 2011, 20:43
We are struggling to fit in new GP's but that is quite a good idea. You could sell 70,000 seats before even thinking about the rest of the circuit. Think of the noise.

and the vuvuzuelas... :D

intheway
7th July 2011, 22:47
and the vuvuzuelas... :D

Maybe for the first time the drivers will actually be able to hear the crowd while at full speed! Although they probably won't enjoy it...

555-04Q2
8th July 2011, 06:27
There's been a lot of talk about this for the last year in South Africa. Of the three choices being mooted, the street track that runs past the stadium is the more realistic option. A committee has been formed and is trying to seal the deal with Bernie and they are positive. But MSA says that they have not been approached about it officially and they doubt that anything will come of Bernie's comments. I hope we do get it though :)

Sonic
8th July 2011, 09:23
Well this would be brilliant and make F1 a truly world championship again.

Bruce D
8th July 2011, 14:58
Yeah, after all these years of people saying "it's not a world championship if it doesn't go to the USA", somebody in the FIA has looked at a atlas and seen there is another continent called Africa.

Unfortunately our local governing body is saying they will only support the event if a South African is competing in the race and without their support it won't happen.

Interesting to note that when News24.co.za mentioned it this morning there were probably 90% of the comments saying they didn't want the race.

Allyc85
8th July 2011, 15:00
Well this would be brilliant and make F1 a truly world championship again.

Agreed, and that bit through the stadium would be very cool!

Mark
8th July 2011, 15:54
Interesting idea! Could they have the start in there too? Even if putting a pit lane in there wouldn't likely be possible.

intheway
8th July 2011, 15:58
Interesting to note that when News24.co.za mentioned it this morning there were probably 90% of the comments saying they didn't want the race.

What reasons were they giving? Disruption / cost?

Dr. Krogshöj
9th July 2011, 12:00
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8291/mexikostadt.jpg (http://img839.imageshack.us/i/mexikostadt.jpg/)

Are we talking about something like this? It's CART @ Mexico City in 2003.

I for one would never buy a ticket to the stadium section of this proposed Cape Town track. What's the fun in watching F1 cars crawling at 100kph in a bunch of slow-ass corners?

Mia 01
9th July 2011, 12:14
I like it!

555-04Q2
10th July 2011, 17:52
What reasons were they giving? Disruption / cost?

Most negatives are about costs. Unless the government gets involved, private parties will battle to raise the funds. Now we are not a poor country, but our government won't fork out the money. They are able to steal and mismanage billions every year though :(

And the talk about not supporting a GP if we don't have an F1 driver to represent us is pathetic and childish. There is also talk that the race would not be supported by fans if there is not an RSA driver racing. What a load of bollocks!!! Even my mates who don't watch F1 have said they would go to a race here.

Bruce D
11th July 2011, 06:36
I agree, but it's MSA turning it into a race thing, just like everything else in this country.

Bruce D
11th July 2011, 11:55
Just been for a "lap" of the track with google earth and I can't see how they'll make it work. Bay Road is barely 2 cars wide as it is and runs right past flats that people live in. I remember how much people who lived in the flats complained about the A1GP race here in Durban. There were some other roads that really were just mickey mouse corners. Personally I think it would be a horrible track, too narrow in places and I don't see how they'd get sufficient run-off areas in the fast sections.

schmenke
11th July 2011, 18:49
...And the talk about not supporting a GP if we don't have an F1 driver to represent us is pathetic and childish. There is also talk that the race would not be supported by fans if there is not an RSA driver racing. What a load of bollocks!!! Even my mates who don't watch F1 have said they would go to a race here.

Quite right.
The government has funded the Canadian GP for years now without a local driver, and it’s a huge success.

Although... as much as I’d like to see an event in the RSA, I really don’t want another street circuit :mark: .

555-04Q2
11th July 2011, 18:53
Quite right.
The government has funded the Canadian GP for years now without a local driver, and it’s a huge success.

Although... as much as I’d like to see an event in the RSA, I really don’t want another street circuit :mark: .

I would also prefer to see a normal circuit rather than another street circuit :up:

Bruce D
12th July 2011, 10:17
That original circuit they proposed in Cape Town, designed by Tilke, was awesome when I played it on GP3, really quick and got your attention.