PDA

View Full Version : Return to the glory days?

Alfa Fan
30th June 2011, 15:07
Interesting developments in sportscar racing, with the new World Sportscar championship, and now the announcement of Porsche's return to Le Mans.

By 2014 it looks like we'll have:

Audi?
Peugeot
Porsche
Nissan
Toyota
Aston Martin

All involved in the top level of sportscar racing, and with the current trend of closed top prototype racers like the new 908 and R18 then it could end up pretty reminiscent of the 80s Group C days.

In my opinion they haven't got it quite right yet, the cars aren't powerful enough and are too reliable, but the way the rules are going for car shape and closed cockpits is encouraging.

harvick#1
30th June 2011, 16:44
since Porsche is in, a Factory-outfit Audi team will be no more :( maybe a few privateers pick up the R18, but by 2014, that car is 3 years old and will not be very strong.

the cars are easily pretty powerful, there are just alot of restrictions on the cars today to slow them down

Alfa Fan
30th June 2011, 17:12
Just because Porsche have joined doesn't automatically mean Audi is out. VAG have competed against themselves in the past.

AndyRAC
30th June 2011, 17:43
Just because Porsche have joined doesn't automatically mean Audi is out. VAG have competed against themselves in the past.

And still do - the recent N24 Audis and Porsches....

It's great news however - the VW Group are really pushing the boat out regards top level Motorsport returns.
I wonder what will Audi do? Do they stay and fight a family member - and we have a proper Diesel v Petrol fight. Or will thet leave, and the Audi personnel move to the Porsche, i;e Joest.....
Remember, both Dumas & Bernhard are Porsche Factory drivers - loaned to Audi.

harvick#1
30th June 2011, 17:48
dont believe the GT budget is anything compared to an LMP1 one. if they both compete, it will be awesome, but not holding my breath

wedge
30th June 2011, 20:15
My guess is Porsche will run a petrol hybrid spyder inline with their hybrid supercar concept.

Wonder who'll build the chassis if they run coupes?

anthonyvop
1st July 2011, 03:32
2014:

Porsche: LMP1 and their Usual GT stuff

Audi: DTM(Europe and the New USA series) and GT3

VW: WRC and some small level GT

Skoda: IRC and S-WRC

Alfa Fan
14th July 2011, 13:22
So now it looks like Jaguar is to return to Le Mans in 2014. It's shaping up to be very very good.

Audi, Peugeot, Porsche, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Toyota, Nissan, maybe even Honda.

harvick#1
14th July 2011, 15:30
still believe that Audi will pull factory support and privateers will run the car, but Jaguar coming back is good, hopefully they will be better than the GT2 effort

wedge
14th July 2011, 15:54
I wonder what the MO is? They must know the diesels have an outright advantage. Hybrids?

harvick#1
15th July 2011, 16:10
Lotus appearing to be going to LMP2 next year along with continuing their GT program, its looking like endurance racing is getting alot healthier again

555-04Q2
17th July 2011, 16:55
Great news! I would really like to see Nissan & Porsche back!

Alfa Fan
14th October 2011, 18:43
Now Toyota are confirmed, just waiting to hear from Nissan and Jaguar now! The mock of a new Jag thats been doing the rounds looks very, very nice!

Tom206wrc
15th October 2011, 08:48
If Jaguar comes back to Le Mans in LMP1 I will support them equal to Peugeot :)

MJW
17th October 2011, 20:51
If Jaguar comes back to Le Mans in LMP1 I will support them equal to Peugeot :) You like (big) cats?