PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Ricciardo to make F1 debut @ Silverstone

osg
30th June 2011, 11:43
Daniel Ricciardo to make F1 debut at Silverstone - Speedcafe (http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/06/30/daniel-ricciardo-to-make-f1-debut-at-silverstone/)

Good seat time for the Rosso seat next year, and the Red Bull #2 beyond that.....

I am evil Homer
30th June 2011, 14:17
Well lets see how good he is then, although all he can really do is beat his hugely average team mate

CNR
30th June 2011, 14:24
confirmed on ten news

Mekola
30th June 2011, 18:48
Put Ricciardo in one of the HRT cars is to give F1 mileage to him... Perhaps it would put pressure to Toro Rosso drivers in near future..

Bagwan
30th June 2011, 19:05
Alternate title for this thread might be "HRT rents seat to Red Bull" .

Given that that car is no where near being a good test-bed to assess anyone by , will there be any filterd down tips from Newey to bring them into the ballpark ?

Or , will Willis and his BAR buddies be enough to make it a serious outfit ?

RS
30th June 2011, 20:23
How does this work then? Are Red Bull really paying more to HRT to rent the car than the Tata income from Karthikeyan?

Looks like all change at HRT because Kolles is out too.

Hawkmoon
1st July 2011, 05:50
Looks like he will drive for them for the rest of the season with Narain coming back for the Indian GP.

That'll be Bernie's doing. He's been banging on about an Indian GP for ages and I'm sure the prospect of losing one of his main drawcards for the race (ie. an Indian driver) wouldn't have gone down well.

Koz
1st July 2011, 06:32
Maybe it's because he has the wonderful place in history of being the lowest finish in an F1 race :D

Do Tata get a refund? :D

Koz
1st July 2011, 06:35
Or, maybe Fettel will wrap up the title well ahead of India that Bernie will pull a great deal of strings for Karthikeyan to get a drive with RBR.

VkmSpouge
1st July 2011, 07:18
Seems like Narain Karthikeyan is the only one who loses out in all of this. Hispania get extra money by taking on Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull get to assess Ricciardo over race weekends against a known quantity in Vitantonio Liuzzi and Ricciardo gets to make a low pressure debut to his F1 career.

steveaki13
1st July 2011, 07:38
First time 2 Aussies have been on the grid together since 1977 and the last time one of them won.. Could this be Webber's weekend? ;)

History will repeat itself and an Aussie will win at Silverstone, but its still not going yo be Mark Webber. ;) :eek:

CNR
1st July 2011, 08:07
first time more then 1 Australian 1977 seen 4 Australian drivers
Alan Jones Australian
Vern Schuppan Australian
Larry Perkins Australian
Brain McGuire Australian

just hope the can do a mark and get 2 points in his first race :) 14th or better ;)

80 seen Alan Jones Australian
and Mike Thackwell New Zealander
our cousin over the pond :P

Malbec
1st July 2011, 16:49
Do Tata get a refund? :D

Maybe Tata stopped paying sponsorship because HRT and NK's performances were so subpar.

Jaypee stopped paying for Chandok this time last year for exactly the same reason hence why he was kicked out.

Sounds like RBR have some plans for Ricciardo then, why else would they rush him into an HRT seat they have to pay for instead of replacing one of the STR boys at the season's end?

Koz
2nd July 2011, 00:03
I can't see Tata, or anyone else for that matter, expecting a better performance from either NK or HRT.

I don't believe he ever deserved a seat in F1. Good riddance, I say.

Whyzars
3rd July 2011, 03:58
first time more then 1 Australian 1977 seen 4 Australian drivers
Alan Jones Australian
Vern Schuppan Australian
Larry Perkins Australian
Brain McGuire Australian

just hope the can do a mark and get 2 points in his first race :) 14th or better ;)

80 seen Alan Jones Australian
and Mike Thackwell New Zealander
our cousin over the pond :P

I'm being terribly lazy on a Sunday morning. Didn't Jones and Brabham (son) have an overlap season in the 80's? Jones was with Lotus I think and Brabham in a Brabham (of course).

As I said I'm being lazy and working through a hazy memory on a Sunday and it was 20 odd years ago so I can be forgiven if I'm completely wrong. :)

CNR
3rd July 2011, 07:13
David Brabham

Australian

Brabham-Judd

Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/1990/)

Whyzars
3rd July 2011, 08:35
David Brabham

Australian

Brabham-Judd

Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/1990/)

Thanks for that. Jones was in a Lola in '86. My foggy memory knew it started with an 'L'. :)

I thought that Jones and Brabham the younger raced around the same time but wasn't sure of the exact years.

I never thought where I might find that info. The F1 site would be the logical place to start. D'Oh.

Great avatar BTW.

intheway
7th July 2011, 16:55
Or, maybe Fettel will wrap up the title well ahead of India that Bernie will pull a great deal of strings for Karthikeyan to get a drive with RBR.

Hmm... I wonder would Bernie like to see Vettel break all sorts of records this year, or would he be afraid that would alienate more fans?

Bruce D
13th July 2011, 13:27
Very quiet around here after the weekend. Am I not the only one that thinks Liuzzi drilled Ricciardo this weekend then?

steveaki13
13th July 2011, 21:22
I think he did beat him very easily, but it is his first race in a poor car and on the coverage I saw, I could not tell whether he lost time in the pits or was just that much slower.

Lets give him the rest of the season. I assume he will be the one to be replaced by Narain for the Indian GP, and I wonder whether there is any chance of Karun getting a drive.

steveaki13
13th July 2011, 21:57
Debut race in a car that handles appallingly. Liuzzi has had the luxury (if it can be considered that) of driving this car at every event and pre season testing etc. Ricciardo is fast as he's proved in the past when testing the Red Bull in Abu Dhabi and I won't write him off just yet. :)

Alot of drivers would have been out of F1 very quickly, if everyone judged them on their first race.

F16
14th July 2011, 08:37
Perhaps, to see him can accomplish the whole laps on his very first race, is good achievement. :)

CaptainRaiden
14th July 2011, 09:44
Very quiet around here after the weekend. Am I not the only one that thinks Liuzzi drilled Ricciardo this weekend then?

While I never bought into the hype created around this kid by the Australian media, to be fair and unbiased, it was only his first race against a seasoned driver, but a lackluster showing nonetheless and much below par compared to Hamilton's first outing. So far, apart from banging in some fast laps in the fastest car on the grid during "testing", this kid hasn't showed anything to warrant the hype he is getting. They almost have him pegged as the next Senna or something.

Koz
24th July 2011, 11:55
He impressed me yesterday, his time was very close to Liuzzi's. Hope he has a good race today.

steveaki13
24th July 2011, 12:31
I think he just needs to keep improving. He finished about a minute behind Liuzzi in the last race, so I think he will want to keep him in sight this race and try and battle him if possible.