PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone GP 2011

manta400
29th June 2011, 13:01
Hi guys looking for help, got tickets for my first GP :) General admission ones for the Sunday race. Can someone advise me on the best viewing we wont get there until 8am!! also travelling from London whats the best route?

GridGirl
29th June 2011, 19:43
If you have general admission tickets you will want to be in the queue for when the gates open at 5am. If you think you can turn up at 10 or 11am and think you will be able to get a half decent view you will have no chance. You'll probably want to take a folding chair.

steveaki13
29th June 2011, 20:20
I agree with Grid Girl.

I went in 2007 and 2008 and got there about 6am and there were still virtually no spaces left in the general areas.

Get there early, take a folding chair and park yourself asap.

If your going for all 3 days, on Friday make the most of roving tickets and view from all parts of the circuit and use Friday to really study the cars because Saturday and Sunday are more about the atmosphere.

As for a viewing area, I sat at Stowe in the old layout seeing the hanger straight, stowe down to through vale and club, then up the hill to abbey. That was a great place for me. 2007 there were few passes, but in the rain in 2008, I saw loads of moves into Stowe, then re attacks into Club.

I too am going to Silverstone this year. Although I am only going to Friday Practice. I may go for the full weekend next year.

steveaki13
29th June 2011, 20:20
anyone else going to one day, or all days of Silverstone this year?

IceWizard
5th July 2011, 12:24
I'm going just on Friday and am wondering what time I should get there? If I turn up at 8 are the car parks likely to be full? Cheers.

steveaki13
5th July 2011, 18:08
I'm going just on Friday and am wondering what time I should get there? If I turn up at 8 are the car parks likely to be full? Cheers.

I don't think so on a Friday. When I went in 2007 and 2008 I had no problem parking on Friday. I am going Friday as well and am aiming to get there about 7:30am. If worried get there a bit earlier but you should be ok.

Brown, Jon Brow
6th July 2011, 10:42
I wanted to go weekend camping with my brother but he didn't get me a ticket :(

Mark
6th July 2011, 18:44
Hi guys looking for help, got tickets for my first GP :) General admission ones for the Sunday race. Can someone advise me on the best viewing we wont get there until 8am!! also travelling from London whats the best route?

8am? Stay at home if that's the earliest you can get there.

As for routes, M1 is probably better as it avoids the dreaded M40 J10

christophulus
6th July 2011, 22:25
I'm going on Saturday, aiming to get there early but certainly not 5am! How busy is it on a Saturday? Planning on wandering about between sessions to try and get a view from most areas on the circuit.

Dave B
7th July 2011, 11:36
Last time I had general admission tickets I was in the queue at 2am on the Sunday.

GridGirl
7th July 2011, 13:32
2am? Which year was that? The earliest I've ever joined the queue was around 4.30am and that was more than early enough for me. I dont think I've ever felt the need to get there before 4.30am before.

The latest time that I have ever got to the British GP was at 12.45pm. That was the British GP in 2000 when there was all that mud. Traffic was horrendous before they built the bypass. It took almost 8 hours to get there on a journey which usually take just over an hour. I was so glad that was before we'd started to go to GP's abroad and still used to buy grandstand tickets. :D

Dave B
7th July 2011, 15:48
I don't think so on a Friday. When I went in 2007 and 2008 I had no problem parking on Friday. I am going Friday as well and am aiming to get there about 7:30am. If worried get there a bit earlier but you should be ok.

Friday could be busy according to JRobertsF1:

"Silverstone boss Richard Phillips said at lunch he's expecting over 70,000 fans to turn up tomorrow. That's great for a Friday. Sun: 95,000"

SGWilko
11th July 2011, 15:02
My last visit to Silverstone (2009) I entered via the gates behind Vale and walked straight in at 6.30am. No queues and plenty of room to decide where to sit with my fold up chair and crate of beer. Nothing like a warm can of Carling at 9am when you've been sat there for 3 hours and it doesn't feel like the morning anymore lol. The previous year I had paddock passes but no such luck since.. :)

Cans of beer - what did you do with the empties??? ;) :D

Retro Formula 1
12th July 2011, 11:40
We tried desperately to find the Benetton mechanics but were several years too late.. :p :beer:

PML :laugh:

Or the Benetton tea boy ;)

SGWilko
12th July 2011, 11:45
PML :laugh:

Or the Benetton tea boy ;)

Or the chap responsible for the Benteton sticker on the rear wing....... :laugh:

Retro Formula 1
12th July 2011, 12:30
Ahhhh, the sticker that gave the car such good aerodynamics ;)