PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the STCC

AndySpeed
28th June 2011, 18:42
I've got to say I don't think that it looks good. A number of teams, part of the TTA - Brovallen Design, Flash Engineering, WestCoast Racing and Polestar are looking to form their own championship for 2012. Whether that championship is called the STCC or operates under a breakaway moniker is unknown.

What the TTA (abb. Touring Teams Association) are proposing is the use of silhouette cars in a similar style to the BTCS (Belgian Touring Car Series).

They have already ordered 20 cars from the French motorsport company Solution-F, who were also responsible for some of the RoC Méganes I believe. They are also hoping to introduce KERS systems to the car, having been inspired by Formula 1.

Have a further read here: http://ttagroup.se/nyhetsbrev/tta-creates-a-new-future-for-swedish-racing/

I for one will stop following the Scandinavian Series if they implement such rules, for I do not consider it to be true touring car racing. It is clear that touring car racing is on a bit of an uncertain path for the next few years - with every major championship running to their own rules set. However the STCC, if it accepts the TTA's ruels and proposals, will face a difficult year next year as all teams are forced to buy the new cars - equalisation would definitely be impossible!

The BTCC, however, has gone down the NGTC route and remains true to it's routes, even if there has been controversy over equalisation this season.

The WTCC may even emerge even stronger next season - despite what the nay-sayers were expecting at the start of this year.

However if one thing is certain - it's that the TC in STCC is disappearing under the TTA's proposals...

F1boat
29th June 2011, 07:50
I haven't watched the BTCS, so I am not sure about the problem... the cars there look hot, but are the races boring, like in the DTM?

Eurotech
17th July 2011, 10:02
It seems a bit odd for the teams to suddenly decide that they want to race in a Touring Car series but not with Touring Cars?? Thats like turning up for the Clio Cup in a Ginetta....

PDS
17th July 2011, 23:30
Thats like turning up for the Clio Cup in a Ginetta....
At least we would be guaranteed a full grid... lol.

zako85
18th July 2011, 01:56
Sadly, it seems like there is a strong desire by the teams everywhere to race silhouette-type cars instead of production based cars.

BTCC: NGTC engine, equalized width bodyshell, etc.
American Rolex GT series: It seems like the only stock part in the Mazda RX-8 is the windshield. A bunch of Chevys supposedly racing with Corvette engines..
Australian V8 supercar: VE Commodore is using custom body shell..
DTM: Started as a true touring car in the 80s..

The list apparently goes on.

I personally don't like this idea. When I want to watch a race of purpose-build race cars, I can watch Formula 1 or prototype racing.