PDA

View Full Version : Iowa doubleheader next year?

FormerFF
28th June 2011, 02:12
AUTO RACING - INDYCAR: Iowa Targeted For Doubleheader In 2012 (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-iowa-targeted-for-double-header-in-2012)

I'm not sure about this idea. Two races in two days is probably two much (hee hee).

What's a little troubling is that this confirms what a lot of us saw at Texas.

00steven
28th June 2011, 02:45
I like the double header at Texas, it spices things up. But I don't want every race to start doing it.

nigelred5
28th June 2011, 14:18
If I got to watch two races in two days like we just did, both paying full points of course, I'd be all for it. They aren't talking about what amounts to a split race like at Texas this year. I'd just be concerned how it would work out for the track and fans when it comes to ticket prices, etc. Motorcycle racing and series like GP2 and A1 GP have done the double header thing for quite a while.

Anubis
28th June 2011, 23:30
At the risk of things getting really gimmicky, how about double headers at tracks with different layouts? I'd love to see a weekend with a road and oval race (Twin Twin Ring Motegi?), or perhaps a double header at Watkins Glen and/or Infineon with a qualifying "sprint" race on the NASCAR layout and a main feature on the full track? Christ, get 'em to Brands, have a qualifier sprint race on the Indy circuit and use the result to determine the grid for the full fat GP circuit feature :)

nigelred5
29th June 2011, 12:20
Lausitzring would be great for a euro swing at a double header!

bennybigb
29th June 2011, 15:03
Iowa has a Road Course.

They could run the Oval on Saturday night and the RC on Sunday.

Dr. Krogshöj
29th June 2011, 18:02
Iowa has a Road Course.

The very idea behind the double header is to balance the number of ovals and road courses so that won't happen.

turbofan
29th June 2011, 23:24
In the last six weeks we pulled Pole weekend, Indy, Texas, and Iowa. The Iowa race is a great weekend with great racing. It is a far better race weekend overall than Texas and is well supported by the area. There are other markets that need attention more than Iowa. I don't see the need to mess with something that is working so well. I have been to Iowa the last three years and this year was the best yet.

zako85
1st July 2011, 02:06
In my opinion this is a bad idea. It's gimmicky and cheapens the whole thing. In my view, the organizers should not screw with races that already work well. Instead, they should try to improve attendance at the less profitable venues or find better venues. It's seems like they're just trying to make a quick buck instead of having a long term vision.

maximilian
1st July 2011, 13:58
I don't mind the double headers to fun things up a bit, but the random draw has to go. Do a 200/300 with reverse grid - give them a little longer in the 2nd race to overtake the field. That way it's still gimmicky, but at least "fair" to the contenders.

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd July 2011, 07:34
In my opinion this is a bad idea. It's gimmicky and cheapens the whole thing. In my view, the organizers should not screw with races that already work well. Instead, they should try to improve attendance at the less profitable venues or find better venues. It's seems like they're just trying to make a quick buck instead of having a long term vision.

It all depends what they mean by "doubleheader". If it is two half races with random grids and all like Texas, it's a no-go. But if it's two proper races with proper qualifying, one on Saturday night and one on Sunday afternoon, I'm all for it.

garyshell
2nd July 2011, 17:07
I don't mind the double headers to fun things up a bit, but the random draw has to go. Do a 200/300 with reverse grid - give them a little longer in the 2nd race to overtake the field. That way it's still gimmicky, but at least "fair" to the contenders.

Why is a reverse grid any more "fair" or acceptable than a random draw?

Gary

maximilian
5th July 2011, 15:19
Why is a reverse grid any more "fair" or acceptable than a random draw?

Gary
Because the top guys in the championship fight, who most of the time would be the top finishers in the first race as well, would be starting together at the back of the field. The biggest problem with the random draw was that it gave a HUGE random advantage to Will Power starting 3rd, while Franchitti started 28th - the difference in points earned from that race may well decide the championship later - based on nothing more than a lucky draw... :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
14th July 2011, 19:04
Iowa has a Road Course.

The road course there is a bit of a joke for cars of this caliber. That is a non starter...

I am all for a double header at Texas or Iowa but both? Do we need gimmicks?