PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre story from pitpass.com on F1 circuits and Indycar

Helicon_One
27th June 2011, 00:21
It isn't often I read a headline and literally do a double-take but this one managed it for me:

17 F1 circuits will switch to IndyCar if F1 votes in 1.6L, 12,000rpm "green engines" (http://www.pitpass.com/44034-Exclusive-17-F1-circuits-will-switch-to-IndyCar-if-green-engines-are-voted-in-tomorrow)

Now, I have to assume that this will never ever happen, and is pretty much a bargaining tool to give the F1 circuits a larger say in the future direction of F1 and financial concessions, but I thought it would be interesting to share. The only way it could ever work is to set up a new 'IndyCar World Series' to run alongside the existing domestic (mostly) championship, and even then it has recipe for disaster written all over it.

Mostly I'm just amused at the thought of Indycar getting a phonecall on Monday offering them races at Monaco, Silverstone, Spa, Monza, Sepang, Suzuka...

Chris R
27th June 2011, 11:55
hmmm, I get the distinct odor of BS...... Seriously, I wonder if they thought to consult Indycar??? Can you imagine a 30 some odd race schedule??? And isn't that basically the Indycar formula for the engine anyway???

anthonyvop
28th June 2011, 00:58
It is from pitpass.com........'nuff said.

Hoop-98
28th June 2011, 03:04
It is from pitpass.com........'nuff said.

Yup, kinda like SFM :) twilight zone stuff driven by agenda..

forgeddaboutit! oops after 20 laps of drinking game they are in a blackout!!!! = SFM

Rex Monaco
6th July 2011, 17:44
From ESPN.com
Ecclestone threatens to sue FIA if 2014 engines flop (http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/53223.html)

"But some of the circuits, led by Ecclestone's friend and Australian Grand Prix promoter Ron Walker, have recently threatened to switch their allegiance from F1 to IndyCar if the move to V6 turbos goes ahead as planned."

zako85
7th July 2011, 03:03
This talk of circuits leaving F1 seems like just another round of Formula 1 style political drama and posturing that can be observed almost every year (in very much the same class as the news of the top teams threatening to leave F1, etc). This threat is not that credible. IndyCar organizers have not had wisdom even to preserve the only two non-American races they had, Australia and Japan. And how many will watch Silverstone or Monaco GP with no McLaren, Ferrari or RedBull teams or their drivers in the race? However, if a couple of current circuits do leave Formula 1, it will not be a big loss. There is a backlog of circuits that want to be included in future Formula 1 season, and there has been a talk recently of the need to have more than one GP in the USA.

call_me_andrew
7th July 2011, 03:30
I don't think they could all switch as one. Each track has a different contract and each contract expires at a different time.

On the other hand...

http://forix.autosport.com/8w/march90ca/ferrari637a.jpg

nigelred5
7th July 2011, 12:21
Just think, the tracks could each actually pay Indycar for races, support 3/4 of the teams each race and still cut their annual sanctioning fees by 75%.

DBell
7th July 2011, 19:12
Just think, the tracks could each actually pay Indycar for races, support 3/4 of the teams each race and still cut their annual sanctioning fees by 75%.

The attendance would probably be reduced by 75%, so it would even out in the end.

When I first saw this story, it made me laugh. I'm sure the FIA is shaking in their boots at this very weak threat.

Jag_Warrior
7th July 2011, 19:45
Upon learning that her hubby had fathered a child by another woman, Salma Hayek has threatened her husband that if he doesn't clean up his act, she'll start dating me. In response, he's booked a suite at the Ritz-Carlton this weekend and called every supermodel that he knows.

nigelred5
7th July 2011, 20:21
You lucky bastage!! ;)

DBell
7th July 2011, 21:02
Upon learning that her hubby had fathered a child by another woman, Salma Hayek has threatened her husband that if he doesn't clean up his act, she'll start dating me. In response, he's booked a suite at the Ritz-Carlton this weekend and called every supermodel that he knows.

You got Selma? Nice going. All I got was Maria Shriver.

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2011, 16:00
Charlize Theoron didn't call me.....

This story had me laughing....like who is dumb enough to believe this?

Dr. Krogshöj
11th July 2011, 21:54
Randy should write a letter to the F1 circuits asking them not to use IndyCar's name as a negotiating tool... And cc that letter to autosport.com just for publicity's sake. :)

00steven
13th July 2011, 20:01
Can you imagine Danica Patrick taking laps at Monaco?! Oh, how funny!

Mark in Oshawa
14th July 2011, 19:02
Can you imagine Danica Patrick taking laps at Monaco?! Oh, how funny!

I can hear her now "Its too tight..it is ridiculous....I should be shopping on these streets, not racing on them!"....and she would be RIGHT!!!!

Marbles
19th July 2011, 01:35
A time when Indycar could worry to Bernie. Ah yes, those were the days. The reigning F1 champion defects to Indycar and a Brazilian stirs it up by taking a spin in a Penske at Firebird raceway in the off season. Yes kids, CART was seen as a serious rival to F1 and was certainly the superior product from an entertainment view point. Racing was tight and television coverage was the envy of racing. Not so much now, though. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5pwFSjO5bs

I've been looking for video of this for years so I had to post it when I found it. I only wish I could understand what they were saying.

Jag_Warrior
19th July 2011, 19:04
A time when Indycar could worry to Bernie. Ah yes, those were the days. The reigning F1 champion defects to Indycar and a Brazilian stirs it up by taking a spin in a Penske at Firebird raceway in the off season. Yes kids, CART was seen as a serious rival to F1 and was certainly the superior product from an entertainment view point. Racing was tight and television coverage was the envy of racing. Not so much now, though. :)

I've been looking for video of this for years so I had to post it when I found it. I only wish I could understand what they were saying.

Marbles, I'm a completely heterosexual guy. But for that find (which I didn't know even existed!!!), and for posting it here for all to enjoy... man, I would kiss you right, square on the lips. We'll just punch each other on the arm and have a quick conversation about baseball or something afterward. But thank you, sir, for that. :up:

00steven
19th July 2011, 20:24

Oh...my...god...

Marbles
19th July 2011, 23:48
Marbles, I'm a completely heterosexual guy. But for that find (which I didn't know even existed!!!), and for posting it here for all to enjoy... man, I would kiss you right, square on the lips. We'll just punch each other on the arm and have a quick conversation about baseball or something afterward. But thank you, sir, for that. :up:

LOL, how about that Bautista! I'm sometimes equally amazed at what you can and can't find on the internet and this was a hard one. Both above and "underground" with no luck until now. ;)

Oh...my...god...

Those were my exact words almost two decades ago when I caught this story on the evening sportscast.