PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR doesn't understand road courses

Alfa Fan
26th June 2011, 21:40
You do not need safety car periods every single time someone breaks down or there's a minor incident! Why do they apply oval rules to road courses? Especially as when they do it the first time, it just makes more accidents and interruptions more likely!

harvick#1
26th June 2011, 21:41
because its nascar, amazing how the 24 of Le Mans only had 3 Safety cars, and that was only because of 3 major accidents

Alfa Fan
26th June 2011, 21:44
Le Mans is a bit different because of the length of course/race meaning safety car isn't needed as much. But NASCAR could definitely do with looking at F1 in terms of safety car vs local yellow for dealing with incidents.

NickFalzone
26th June 2011, 23:00
You do not need safety car periods every single time someone breaks down or there's a minor incident! Why do they apply oval rules to road courses? Especially as when they do it the first time, it just makes more accidents and interruptions more likely!

NASCAR loves to throw a yellow and bunch of the field. They pull that crap all the time on ovals, so of course they're going to do it on road courses where the cars get even more strung out.

00steven
26th June 2011, 23:37
NASCAR loves to throw a yellow and bunch of the field. They pull that crap all the time on ovals, so of course they're going to do it on road courses where the cars get even more strung out.

Exactly.

harvick#1
26th June 2011, 23:43
was surprised not to see a yellow at the end for dirt on the track :laugh:

Lee Roy
27th June 2011, 01:35
Then don't watch it.

00steven
27th June 2011, 02:19
Then don't watch it.

Didn't say I didn't like it :)

call_me_andrew
27th June 2011, 03:03
Why do they apply oval rules to road courses?

Because too many people are too lazy to learn how to do something differently twice a year.

wedge
27th June 2011, 13:31
It never used to be like this back in the day.

But it wasn't that bad this time around. They used to stick out yellow for pretty much every incident at the final hairpin.

wedge
6th July 2011, 15:02
NASCAR was too eager for GWC finish for Nationwide Road America/Bucyrus 200

Lee Roy
6th July 2011, 15:52
NASCAR should suspend the GWC rule at Road America (and probably other road courses). It really doesn't make sense at a track as long as Road America.

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2011, 17:06
NASCAR should suspend the GWC rule at Road America (and probably other road courses). It really doesn't make sense at a track as long as Road America.

No argument from me....GWC to me is a gimmick best left on ovals.

AS for the argument that NASCAR should have road course rules is probably logical if you are not NASCAR. They do things their way and it has gotten them a lot of success. They wont change the rules for two races and then have the networks spending most of the time telling the fans why it is different this time....

NASCAR believes in uniformity of rules and they believe in keeping cars on the lead lap. So full course yellows with a pace car suits them.

slorydn1
11th July 2011, 22:35

AS for the argument that NASCAR should have road course rules is probably logical if you are not NASCAR. They do things their way and it has gotten them a lot of success. They wont change the rules for two races and then have the networks spending most of the time telling the fans why it is different this time....

NASCAR believes in uniformity of rules and they believe in keeping cars on the lead lap. So full course yellows with a pace car suits them.

Why not? They do at the 5 restrictor plate races (counting the shootout) every year. You know what I mean-the good ole "yellow line" rule. Because of that they the spend 29 other oval races explaining "Oh, don't worry about the #xx going below the line, that's only illegal at Daytona and Talladega.

Oh, and did you know (and I'm sure you do, they tell us about it for the 22 or so fuel mileage races that seem to happen every year) that it is absolutley VERBOTEN for a competitor to push another competitor to the finish on the LAST LAP of a race, yet they have been doing it 5 times a year at EVERY restrictor plate race since God knows when...

Now before you rip my head off I actually agree with you....but Nascar does have a history of changing and or manipulating the rules as it suits them and I just couldn't resist pointing that out... :p :

Then again, I could be all wet, because I have never seen a copy of the rule book since Nascar doesnt release a copy of it to anyone-I can only go by what the shills on Fox, Speed,TNT and DSPN/ABC tell me are the rules ;)

booger
12th July 2011, 15:34
Now that Bucyrus is history (purchased by CAT who has dropped the Bucyrus name entirely), is Road America and NASCAR history too? Bucyrus was the major sponsor for Nationwide series there for the last 2 years, and it may be problematic for RA to find a replacement with deep pockets. I don't think CAT will be interested in sponsoring an event with their involvement in Sprint Cup investment already made. Anybody have any ideas?

Lee Roy
12th July 2011, 16:40
I would imagine that depends on whether or not NASCAR can acquire another sponsor to replace Bucyrus.

harvick#1
12th July 2011, 19:48
Now that Bucyrus is history (purchased by CAT who has dropped the Bucyrus name entirely), is Road America and NASCAR history too? Bucyrus was the major sponsor for Nationwide series there for the last 2 years, and it may be problematic for RA to find a replacement with deep pockets. I don't think CAT will be interested in sponsoring an event with their involvement in Sprint Cup investment already made. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm more worried about the actual outcome of the equipment being made first, my job could be on hinge with it, none of us at the plant are sure yet

wedge
12th July 2011, 20:05

I've still got tapes fr the 1990's. The good ol days when NASCAR threw cautions when it was really necessary.

booger
13th July 2011, 17:50
Lee Roy, NASCAR does not obtain sponsors for individual races, the promoters do. And they use these funds to advertise, market the events and pay the sanctioning fees. This year there were two sanctioning fees, one to Nationwide and one to Grand Am, both are Nascar properties. So, they don't pay to come to a track, they get paid to come to a track. Just sayin...

Lee Roy
13th July 2011, 20:05
Lee Roy, NASCAR does not obtain sponsors for individual races, the promoters do. And they use these funds to advertise, market the events and pay the sanctioning fees.

Thanks.

This year there were two sanctioning fees, one to Nationwide and one to Grand Am, both are Nascar properties. So, they don't pay to come to a track, they get paid to come to a track. Just sayin...

Understand that.

Mark in Oshawa
14th July 2011, 19:42
I've still got tapes fr the 1990's. The good ol days when NASCAR threw cautions when it was really necessary.

I know they threw phantom cautions then too....a friend of mine was a corner worker at the Glen and in their morning meeting, NASCAR told them that if they say there is debris at their corner, they are not to be on the radio telling NASCAR they don't' SEE the debris...

Mark in Oshawa
14th July 2011, 19:48
Why not? They do at the 5 restrictor plate races (counting the shootout) every year. You know what I mean-the good ole "yellow line" rule. Because of that they the spend 29 other oval races explaining "Oh, don't worry about the #xx going below the line, that's only illegal at Daytona and Talladega.The Yellow line rule doesn't really exist at the other tracks because there is no advantage to running down there and it never happens where a pass takes place. It is a rule ...but hey, just like every major league ball park is different, and has different ground rules, it is the same in NASCAR...but the basics are the same.

Oh, and did you know (and I'm sure you do, they tell us about it for the 22 or so fuel mileage races that seem to happen every year) that it is absolutley VERBOTEN for a competitor to push another competitor to the finish on the LAST LAP of a race, yet they have been doing it 5 times a year at EVERY restrictor plate race since God knows when...No argument from me they are looking the other way, but to enforce this rule at Daytona And Talladega could be a thorny issue since is that back car actually pushing (we know the truth but work with me here) or just being sucked along? Wink Wink Nudge Nudge Say NO MORE.....

Now before you rip my head off I actually agree with you....but Nascar does have a history of changing and or manipulating the rules as it suits them and I just couldn't resist pointing that out... :p :They change rules but they like the illusion of one size fits all.

Then again, I could be all wet, because I have never seen a copy of the rule book since Nascar doesnt release a copy of it to anyone-I can only go by what the shills on Fox, Speed,TNT and DSPN/ABC tell me are the rules ;)

If you join NASCAR as a participant/owner/media person, I believe you can get a rule book. This often urban myth was brought up a few years ago when I was listening to Dave Moody on Sirius Speedway, and he said he has seen the rulebook, used to get them.....they DO exist...but most media people would be too damn lazy to actually read em anyhow..lol...

The point is, the rule book is out there, and the teams know what they can do or not do. Roger Penske doesn't participate in anything where he doesn't have the rules written out so he can read between the lines!!!!

call_me_andrew
15th July 2011, 02:27
Oh, and did you know (and I'm sure you do, they tell us about it for the 22 or so fuel mileage races that seem to happen every year) that it is absolutley VERBOTEN for a competitor to push another competitor to the finish on the LAST LAP of a race, yet they have been doing it 5 times a year at EVERY restrictor plate race since God knows when...

Well done Slorydyn1! You've called out NASCAR for not enforcing a rule while ignoring the rule's intent!

Pushing a car out of gas is done solely for the benefit of the car that is out of gas. Bump drafting makes both cars faster and thus is mutually beneficial. It's different from just pushing an unpowered car.