PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wheldon

Alfa Fan
26th June 2011, 02:33
It's completely scandalous he's not in a drive this season isn't it?

How many drivers have won Indy twice and the series and still can't get a drive.

It's not as if they were flukes either,

2004 2nd
2005 Champion
2006 2nd (on countback)
2007 4th
2008 4th

Dropped from CGR end of 2008. Yes Dario and Dixon are good, and have equally good records, but for Dan not to have a top drive when you look at some of the drivers who do, is a joke!

cos
26th June 2011, 04:05
Apparently he was offered various rides this season but elected not to take them; except Herta's team for the '500.

beachbum
26th June 2011, 04:27
Actually, he has a pretty good job (other than broadcasting) for the rest of the year as the part of the test team for the 2012 car. That should give them a head start over other teams for 2012

Chris R
26th June 2011, 04:34
and I gotta say, he is pretty darn good on the TV team - tonight's broadcast was really good - good race, good presentation... A current driver really brings good insight to the race.....

Also, gotta say, the interviews a re good - these guys are really showing some personality when given a chance.....

NickFalzone
26th June 2011, 05:03
I agree, this race was the best overall IndyCar product Versus has aired since its inception. Bob still had a few garbles/misnomers, but if you let them slide past (and having a talented cohost with Wheldon really helps), it is a really solid product that VS puts together, from pre-show through to post-show. Lack of endless commercial breaks during VS broadcast was also pretty sweet.

Jag_Warrior
26th June 2011, 06:44
He is a good racer but I've never cared for Wheldon. But I've got to say, in the booth, I think he's doing a fantastic job! I agree with Nick, this was the best broadcast I've seen since I started watching this series. I hope Arute has been banished from race broadcasting forever. And though he's probably still got some races left in him, I'd be more likely to watch entire races if Wheldon was in the booth. From zero to hero in the space of one evening. Who knew?

Wilf
26th June 2011, 18:38
Actually, he has a pretty good job (other than broadcasting) for the rest of the year as the part of the test team for the 2012 car. That should give them a head start over other teams for 2012

I think, I don't know for sure, that Herta agreed to not field a team next year except for one or two races in order to get the testing gig.

chuck34
27th June 2011, 13:13
I'm really liking Dan in the booth. I really liked the pit walk he and Miller did. A bit better coordination between them and the producers/directors and that will be a really good spot.

wedge
27th June 2011, 13:29
Dan owns the comm booth.

dataman1
27th June 2011, 15:45
Jag & Nick are right. Weldon shines and makes the race a far better product. Jon being the professor adds to the program and we racing geeks. Now find an anchor to replace Jenkins and they might have a quite a team. How about Bob Varsha?

libra65
27th June 2011, 18:54
I totally agree with everyone. I liked Dan as a driver but love him in the booth. He adds so much insight that the other guys just can't. The pit walk was fun and hope they continue it.

nigelred5
27th June 2011, 20:27
Jag & Nick are right. Weldon shines and makes the race a far better product. Jon being the professor adds to the program and we racing geeks. Now find an anchor to replace Jenkins and they might have a quite a team. How about Bob Varsha?

I'd LOVE Varsha, but I think he's pretty tied up with his F1 GIG with SPEED, and they broadcast all of the F1 coverage from Charlotte so I imagine he's got a pretty stable schedule by now. I doubt Speed wants to share him with a competetor either.