PDA

View Full Version : Drivers that need to be dropped, NOW

aryan
24th June 2011, 01:49
There are some drivers on the field which clearly don't deserve their seats. Mainly, I think:

Alguersuari: He's now been in F1 for 2 years, with 35 starts. I feel for the kid, I think he was brought to F1 too early without having honed his race craft. He showed glimmers of hope at the end of last year, but this year he is not getting things done. He's neither qualifying well, nor racing particularly well (Canada excepted). I think Ricciardo should be given a chance.

Truli: In his day, I was a big fan of him. In 2004 for example, I thought he beat Alonso in the same car fair and square (and was still dumped by Briatore). But his head is clearly not in F1 anymore. He used to be a brilliant qualifyer, now he is being beaten squarely by Heikki. Time to consider something else.

Sutil: In his 5+ years in the same team (with different names), he barely faced a team mate worth his salt. He started beating Fisico when the latter got old, and his other team mates have been nothing to write home about... until this year. di Resta has shown, even with limited experience, that Sutil is nothing special. On the other hand, the Hulk was showing real signs of maturing last season, and many still think he's something special. Is it time to drop Sutil in favour of di Resta?

There are probably others as well, maybe quick Nick isn't as quick as he once was, but I think he still brings home points. The above 3 however, are past their expiry date.

Thoughts?

Koz
24th June 2011, 02:23
Rubens Barrichello.

Mekola
24th June 2011, 04:11
I think Rubinho will wait until Schumi definitely retires. At least he would want to keep a record with his name (most participations in F1).

Hawkmoon
24th June 2011, 05:18
I'd actually keep Alguersuari over Buemi. Sure Alguersuari is struggling at the moment but I think he has more potential than Buemi in the long term. Buemi has been completely underwhelming his entire career.

If you drop a driver you need to have a clear upgrade as a replacement, otherwise what's the point? I don't think Ricciardo or Hulkenberg are clearly better than Alguersuari or Sutil so I don't think shoving them in the car mid-season would achieve much.

555-04Q2
24th June 2011, 06:07
Vettel
Hamilton
Button
Webber
Alonso
Massa
The Shoe
Rosberg

bluegem280
24th June 2011, 11:31
Not sure about Sutil vs di Resta, 8 vs 2 points, being a rookie perhaps is a good excuse, but from the 3rd race onwards he didn't make any progress on points. :)

Mia 01
24th June 2011, 12:10
:laugh: :up:

I vote for Kimi. :)
Someone have to.

At one point he will be back, and, as we both like him I´m curious who we will interact.

Koz
24th June 2011, 12:35
I think Rubinho will wait until Schumi definitely retires. At least he would want to keep a record with his name (most participations in F1).

Mike needs to do two seasons more than Rubens to overtaking in the states for most races... Mike ain't gonna do two more seasons. So there's no real threat there.

555-04Q2
24th June 2011, 12:39
Mike needs to do two seasons more than Rubens to overtaking in the states for most races... Mike ain't gonna do two more seasons. So there's no real threat there.

With 20 races a year, a lot of the current youngsters will easily pass whatever the likes of RB and MS achieve.

ioan
24th June 2011, 12:41

It's not like if it was only Rubens' decision if he goes or stays.

ioan
24th June 2011, 12:42
With 20 races a year, a lot of the current youngsters will easily pass whatever the likes of RB and MS achieve.

Exactly.

Robinho
24th June 2011, 12:47
I'd keep Algie over Buemi too, i think Algie has more potential and shown more to date, although is not doing well at the moment. Trulli seems to be done, although he is blaming the power steering on the Lotus.

Rubens can't hang round much longer, but he's a great asset to a team still, even if not the quickest anymore.

I still think this year is make or break for Massa, but he seems to be improving again. I don't expect him to beat Alonso a lot, but at least be competitive with him.

I've completley changed my opinion on Sutil, i thought he was a potential star, but he's been overlooked by other teams for a while and now is getting beaten by a rookie who i think really does have star potential.

Can't see Custard staying around after this year either

Koz
24th June 2011, 12:47
It's not like if it was only Rubens' decision if he goes or stays.

Who else matters?
I'm sure Sir Frank would be happy with Rubens leaving if it meant another pay driver...

keysersoze
24th June 2011, 16:38
Until we see Jaime and Sebastian against a proven teammate, it's hard to tell just how good they are. They both need to go to better teams--and IMO both have earned it--to see just how good they are.

N4D13
24th June 2011, 16:48
Why not drop both STR drivers? Neither of them has done anything impressive. And Alguersuari isn't doing really great this year - maybe it's the Pirellis or something, but he's just being too slow.

steveaki13
24th June 2011, 23:02
Massa - I think Ferrari will drop him when his contract runs out, and he will go to Renault or Sauber somewhere like that.
Buemi and Alguersuari - Both have underacvhieved and I would replace both. Although if I had to change one I would replace Buemi first.
Sutil - As said above, he has had 5 years with Force India and needs to move on, or be taken out.
Barrichello - I like Rubens but I think his time is up after this season. And F1's longest career will come to an end.
Trulli - I think Jarno has made it clear he is about ready to quit F1 and maybe should step aside for Karun Chandhok.