PDA

View Full Version : Big boys toys, hobbies and pastimes..

Zico
22nd June 2011, 12:57
Everyone should have a hobby or pastime, what do you do or like to do?

Something that really appeals to me is FPV flying, for those of you who have never heard of it.. Its Radio control First Person Virtual flying, a live 2.4 Ghz video feed viewed by the RC pilot through his VR goggles. have a look at this video, its pretty damn impressive.. an FPV tour of New York, Brooklyn bridge and the statue of Liberty. How they never got arrested is beyond me!

YouTube - ‪New York City‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78)

CarlMetro
22nd June 2011, 13:12
I make fairly regular atempts at providing other golfers with the opportunity to enter into a little treasure hunting whilst they enjoy their favorite pasttime, however the prize is always the same, my golf balls which seem to depart my club and enter into a completely different dimension with uncany regularity.

I like to watch a lot of sport, motorsport, football, golf etc.

I also enjoy swimming, I'm down the pool four or five times a week and usually complete 2.5km in just over an hour or so.

And I still play with little boys toys as my six year old son is very good at destroying Lego models and njot very good at setting up his Scalextric track yet.

Daniel
22nd June 2011, 19:08
That looks interesting!

I've always wanted to do kite surfing myself :)

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 19:15
I love racing, playing golf (when I get a chance) and playing my PS3. Also like playing in the occassional charity cricket tournament when they pop up.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd June 2011, 21:51
Guitar, piano, karting, watching motorsport, watching and playing football, social drinking.

Zico
22nd June 2011, 22:38
I've tried to play Golf a few times but just couldn't get into it.. probably something to do with the fact that some days I could really hit the ball and other days it would only roll a few feet or even end up behind me :D and the more frustrated I got, the worse I got. :(

I still play 5 a-side football but since my knee operation Im not even half the player I once was.. that has been a really devastating thing for me.
I occasionally compete in HFT (Hunter Field Target) Air rifle shooting with limited success, I love motocrossing, karting and all forms of motorsport but above all flying has always been my main interest since I was a child, unfortunately the costs of pursuing it, so far have been prohibitive. I will buy myself a paramotor/paraglider one day but I'll have to make do with my RC planes until then. :D

Kite surfing looks brilliant.. would love to try it some day too.

schmenke
22nd June 2011, 22:54
I too, during rare occasions, find the time to endure the torment of a long day of pursuing small white orbs in dense foliage among a myriad of sadistic insects and stinging fauna intent on inflicting inhumane aggravation upon my exposed flesh.

When not enjoying the above anguish, most of my time is spent in a vain attempt at corralling a pair of remarkably swift offspring, forestalling the typical mayhem and destruction that invariably seems to be in their continuous immediacy.

The cumulative combined effects of the above two pursuits results in the ubiquitous third pastime of the much-needed consumption of abundant quantities of fermented and/or distilled beverages.

:mark:

Jag_Warrior
23rd June 2011, 10:17
Everyone should have a hobby or pastime, what do you do or like to do?

Something that really appeals to me is FPV flying, for those of you who have never heard of it.. Its Radio control First Person Virtual flying, a live 2.4 Ghz video feed viewed by the RC pilot through his VR goggles. have a look at this video, its pretty damn impressive.. an FPV tour of New York, Brooklyn bridge and the statue of Liberty. How they never got arrested is beyond me!

YouTube - ‪New York City‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78)

That looks like an absolute blast!!! :bounce: I've never heard of it before. Several years ago I was into R/C car racing. As I got busy and the people I raced with moved away, got married or whatever, I sort of drifted away from it. But I had a lot of fun with that and really miss it. I also used to shoot quite a bit. Mostly rifles and pistols, but I did a few shooting matches with shotguns (that involves a LOT of luck though). These days most of my so called "free time" is spent trying to get my finances to the point that I can retire in a few years. Maybe then I'll be able to have hobbies
again. :(

slinkster
23rd June 2011, 17:44
I make stuff... I work full time office work but in my spare time I'm registered part time self employed and make models, wedding cake toppers etc. Can't say I make a great deal of money out of it but I love doing it- it's where I really feel ... me. I love films, music, going to gigs, seeing my family and friends etc. I think I could do with a fitness type hobby- like running or Zumba... I quite fancy Boxercise.

Eki
23rd June 2011, 20:18
Hobbies? Well, everyone loves a slinky.

wUqTDCQa5fk

airshifter
24th June 2011, 12:38
That looks like an absolute blast!!! :bounce: I've never heard of it before. Several years ago I was into R/C car racing. As I got busy and the people I raced with moved away, got married or whatever, I sort of drifted away from it. But I had a lot of fun with that and really miss it. I also used to shoot quite a bit. Mostly rifles and pistols, but I did a few shooting matches with shotguns (that involves a LOT of luck though). These days most of my so called "free time" is spent trying to get my finances to the point that I can retire in a few years. Maybe then I'll be able to have hobbies
again. :(

Quite a few people combine the hobby of shooting with retirement funding. You can see them all the time on the cop shows. :)

These days we hit a lot of concerts and beach events. I wouldn't say I have a "hobby" in the sense that I don't spend a great deal of time on any one event or pastime.

For the next month or so my "hobby" is going to be a remodel upstairs. Gutting the entire bath area with some minor wall changes, then replacing everything with new.

schumacher7championships
24th June 2011, 13:19
i am keen on playing chess , football, basketball , pro evolution soccer and online games like ikariam.

does anyone play ikariam too?

Sonic
24th June 2011, 13:57
Clearly everyone has waaaaay too much spare time ;)

I like to play my guitars, but as I don't get to practise as much as I'd like, I just end up cursing my slow fingers for not having a hundredth of the talent of Matthew Bellamy.

wedge
24th June 2011, 15:15
Hooning, trackdays.

slinkster
24th June 2011, 18:06

haha! Love the video- haven't heard that for a long time... and it's true, I *am* fun.

anthonyvop
24th June 2011, 18:19

wUqTDCQa5fk

Is that what your partner tells you to cheer you up?

ioan
24th June 2011, 18:20
There was a time when I actually had time for hobbies, nowadays it's difficult.
2 weeks ago took part in my first bike 'marathon', 100 km, after not riding my bike for nearly 2 years. I will try to keep training as much as possible from now on.

00steven
24th June 2011, 19:11
Of course racing. I also like to watch other sports, video gaming, and special outings with friends and family.

raybak
25th June 2011, 14:20
Rallying, Rallying and more Rallying. When I'm not working I'm doing something either fixing a rally car, driving one or codriving or even sometimes officiating.

Ray

Rudy Tamasz
27th June 2011, 12:14
I do not have too much time to play except when I play with my son. When he asks 'Dad, do you wanna play with me?', 'No' is not an option.

During my short breaks I do some simple gardening, play mini-golf and darts, and do some history research. I almost gave up on racing, though watching Le Mans is still cool. I also want to fly a baloon at some point. I heard they offer it in Turkey, so I might go there in the future.

28th June 2011, 07:19
Well we must find time to play because fitness comes first and it is the best option and i prefer to play games because for me fitness is very important.

Mouflaf
8th January 2013, 02:05
I do not have too much time to play except when I play with my son. When he asks 'Dad, do you wanna play with me?', 'No' is not an option.

During my short breaks I do some simple gardening, play mini-golf and darts, and do some history research. I almost gave up on racing, though watching Le Mans is still cool. I also want to fly a baloon at some point. I heard they offer it in Turkey, so I might go there in the future.

Totally agree, my child and job pretty much take up most of my time.
Hate my job, love my child. Some good old ying yang going on there.

Tazio
8th January 2013, 02:15
As long as you are legally free in your pursuit of happiness it is cool ;)

Gregor-y
9th January 2013, 16:52
I only wish I had the time, space and money to pursue hobbies a bit more. When I get home from work I really don't have any energy anymore.

http://imageshack.us/a/img541/2697/hobbyv.jpg

All I accomplished this summer were coupler conversions on some of my older models from the early 90s.

SGWilko
9th January 2013, 19:43
I service and maintain our second car, and used to do all sorts - crank seals, head gasket, clutch, bearings, brakes etc - on my old Fiesta MK2 & MK3.

These days modern cars are much harder to work on.

I like DIY, and have fitted my bathroom and toilet.

Other than that, I guess my most favouritest hobby is winding up the Mrs!!

Mouflaf
10th January 2013, 02:39
I only wish I had the time, space and money to pursue hobbies a bit more. When I get home from work I really don't have any energy anymore.

All I accomplished this summer were coupler conversions on some of my older models from the early 90s.

Impressive collection. Do you have photos of your scenery, track? (when you have time :) )

gadjo_dilo
10th January 2013, 07:37
My latest hobby is to count the leaves in Cişmigiu Park.

SGWilko
10th January 2013, 10:11
My latest hobby is to count the leaves in Cişmigiu Park.

Fallen leaves, or those still on the tree? Do you only count deciduos trees, or evergreens too? Not sure evergreens have leaves TBH! ;)

gadjo_dilo
10th January 2013, 10:34
Depending on seeson or the trees next to me. Have no preferences, just leaves....

Mouflaf
11th January 2013, 13:39
Not too big on leaves.... big hobby of mine, slot cars!!! There must be some slot car fans on this forum, surely.

ioan
11th January 2013, 20:40
I used to build scale models when I had time for it, then it turned into buying scale model kits then into just thinking about them while on business trips.
A couple of years ago started biking again and now I am in the process of building up a new race bike as the old one was to heavy and outdated. hopefully I'll have enough time to ride it too. :)

Gregor-y
14th January 2013, 22:34
Impressive collection. Do you have photos of your scenery, track? (when you have time :) )

I know what I'd like, something modeling the terrain around Pittsburgh and the surrounding area east West Virginia and Maryland, suitable for a timeframe between the 1970s and 90s, but I've never had time or a place to actually *build* anything.

More realistically I want to ride one of the former lines (http://www.atatrail.org/) between Pittsburgh and Cumberland that was abandoned in 1975 and is now a 140 mile bike trail I'd like to ride this year at some time. From Cumberland there's a canal towpath (http://bikewashington.org/canal/) turned into a national park that runs 180 miles through a lot of history - particularly Harper's Ferry and the Battlefield at Antietam - before ending in Washington DC.

I've got to do a few multi-day rides around Chicago to make sure I can manage a full week trip like that, though.

Mark
15th January 2013, 06:47
I have a few. This forum being the main one. ;)

Then geocahing, fish keeping but I'm mostly into cycling just now.

steveaki13
17th January 2013, 22:27
I love F1 so thats a hobby. Watching on TV and occasionally going to the British GP.

I also go to Brands Hatch semi reguarly over a season, watching anything and everyything from BTCC rounds, F3, GT and Truck Racing.

I like the statistical element of sport and read through many stat books and researching Football & F1 history and results.

I love watching Football on TV too.

I love playing Football too, I play at the very lowest level in my region in one of the worst teams, and we hardly ever win a game, but I still love being with my friends and going and getting muddy every saturday afternoon. We may lose but we still give it a go. I also play 5 aside twice in midweek too.

I also enjoy gardening which is my job, but I still enjoy doing my own garden at a steadier pace.

I also share a passion of steam railways with my father and so occasionally we indulge that.

I didn't think I had many hobbies, but looking at that list I do have a few things to keep me entertained.