PDA

View Full Version : 2011 European Grand Prix (Valencia) Thread

steveaki13
21st June 2011, 22:51
So its nearly time for the next round of the season and with many issues hanging over F1 from the debate about the future banning of blown diffusers and alot of gossip regarding driver moves.

I thought it was time to open the European Grand Prix thread.

steveaki13
21st June 2011, 22:54
I have to say this circuit leaves me cold.

The two previous races were two of the more boring races I have seen in F1. And I don't normally like referring to F1 races as processional or dull as I normally try to find a positive.

So with all the various factors making up F1 2011 can we possibly see a more interesting Grand Prix around the glorified industrial estate?

What are your thoughts?

airshifter
21st June 2011, 23:02
Monaco had a lot more action this year than it usually does, I hope this somehow translates into a race at Valencia worth watching. Overall to me it's a very nicely prepared track and facility that has nothing for character. Other than where the cars are passing outside the track, I can't even think of a single section of track that I ever really think is the tricky part for the drivers or the part most likely to cause an accident, etc.

steveaki13
21st June 2011, 23:15
Just from the F1 2010 game, it is a circuit that is quite fun to drive, but in the real world I think it is more suited to one at a time, than to close side by side racing.

The Black Knight
22nd June 2011, 08:54
Oh great, another Valencia race.

Well, this should be boring even with the 2011 rules. **** circuit for racing.

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 10:31
Valencia...bring it on!!!!!

Dave B
22nd June 2011, 10:40
When I made my 2011 calendar, I put a note on Sunday saying "try not to fall asleep". Now, however, I'm looking forward to Valencia. There hasn't been a dull race this year, and I can't wait to see how the new rules and tyres work on an otherwise unremarkable circuit.

F1boat
22nd June 2011, 12:14
I think that this race will be interesting with the new rules. Passing still won't be too easy, so I guess that the race will be fun, like Monte Carlo.

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 12:17
Can you all spell safety car period :p :

DexDexter
22nd June 2011, 12:35
I think we're going to have the most interesting Valencia race to date since Valencia isn't as bad as Monaco and even that had more action than in the previous years. Add to that a couple of safety car periods and we're in for a treat.

Robinho
22nd June 2011, 12:51
its almost a pity that we'll have to rely on the tyres and DRS to make an interesting race out of Valencia. I'd rather see the race being interesting, but I'd also rather not see the race continue there, which will be more likely if we start having interesting races there!

That said i don't think Spain can afford 2 races any longer.

of note, the double DRS zone is back, again with only 1 detection point, it should actually work well here, rather than being too easy in Turkey and Canada, 2 tracks where overtaking was already possible.

Should be another close one between the RBR's, Ferraris and McLarens, will also be interested to see if the Mercedes continue to improve and make it 4 teams at the front

The Black Knight
22nd June 2011, 14:19
its almost a pity that we'll have to rely on the tyres and DRS to make an interesting race out of Valencia. I'd rather see the race being interesting, but I'd also rather not see the race continue there, which will be more likely if we start having interesting races there!

That said i don't think Spain can afford 2 races any longer.

of note, the double DRS zone is back, again with only 1 detection point, it should actually work well here, rather than being too easy in Turkey and Canada, 2 tracks where overtaking was already possible.

Should be another close one between the RBR's, Ferraris and McLarens, will also be interested to see if the Mercedes continue to improve and make it 4 teams at the front

I believe there should be two detection points. Canada was far too easy and made Schumacher a sitting duck after he breaking his balls the entire race. Same for Heidfeld when Schumacher overtook him. That's not racing. In my opinion, if you have two zones, there should be two detection points.

Garry Walker
22nd June 2011, 14:43
We need more DRS zones

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 15:10
We need more DRS zones

I got a bullet with your name on it :eek: In fact, I got a whole mag I am willing to spare :p :

AndyL
22nd June 2011, 18:31
Can you all spell safety car period :p :

The question is how many!

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 18:43
The question is how many!

I predict that there will be one safety car intervention this weekend. I have it on good authority from the guy who predicted the end of the world last month :p :

steveaki13
22nd June 2011, 20:43
Lets hope that we see an interesting race. Does anyone know where the two DRS straights will be, as there are not many straights in Valencia that follow a straight with out alot of corners between them.

odykas
22nd June 2011, 22:12
Boring track.

Go Schumi :p :

osg
24th June 2011, 10:34
Webber on top after FP1, from Petrov and Alonso. Seb P16 and 2.538 back.... 20 laps run from him. Obviously running to a program in that session.

AndyL
24th June 2011, 10:52
Theres two fairly long straight straights (if thats possible lol) with hard braking zones, so maybe there?

What worries me is that the straights they're going to use DRS on are not actually straight. The racing line moves side to side on the road. A repeat of the Montreal incident between Hamilton and Button seems a strong possibility.

555-04Q2
24th June 2011, 15:36
It's pretty dead around here considering that there is a GP this weekend :s hock:

Mark
24th June 2011, 16:39
It's Valencia it's not a proper GP :p

Mia 01
24th June 2011, 20:17
Apart from Red Bull, Ferrari seems to be good. Is it time for Fred to win a race this year.

555-04Q2
24th June 2011, 21:40
Apart from Red Bull, Ferrari seems to be good. Is it time for Fred to win a race this year.

YES!!!!!

steveaki13
24th June 2011, 23:23
I was thinking the DRS zones had to be on one straight after the other, but from what I can gather thesecond zone is after a few corners of the other on the two longer straights.

steveaki13
26th June 2011, 10:48
So after all the talk of whether Vettel cracked under the pressure in Canada, he shows he is crumbling now by only securing his 7th pole out of 8, by only 2 tenths of a second. My god it seems Vettel and Red bull can't handle the change of engine mapping in Qualifying.

Anyway seriously it was yet another great pole from Vettel, be interesting if the come under more pressure in the race as has been the case in the last few races.

ShiftingGears
26th June 2011, 11:21
It's Valencia it's not a proper GP :p

Ha!

markabilly
26th June 2011, 14:37
Boring track

Boring race....

fell asleep, is it over?

steveaki13
26th June 2011, 14:43
Boring track

Boring race....

fell asleep, is it over?

Tis now.

Not a classic but a great drive from Sebastian

markabilly
26th June 2011, 14:49
yeah, vettel driver of the race............outside of stupid pit work by ferrari and Brawn......not even a good donkey

ioan
26th June 2011, 15:06
Not more to say about this race, just a 'Well done Vettel'!

Dave B
26th June 2011, 15:09
Exciting start, then an hour and a half of tedium. It's like the old days everyone keeps harking back to!

steveaki13
26th June 2011, 15:09
Not more to say about this race, just a 'Well done Vettel'!

No more posts for you today then. :D

N. Jones
27th June 2011, 01:19
Nothing can help this track become anything other than "boring".
It seriously needs to go.

Replace it with one of the old tracks! Estoril, Imola, Red Bull Ring (former A1-Ring), Paul Ricard, Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez...

ANYTHING than this boredom!

The Black Knight
27th June 2011, 09:02
I was at the race in Valencia and my word was that a snoozefest. I'm glad that I'm going to Silverstone in two weeks as well because that race was dreary and I'm sure Silverstone will make up for it.

I agree with N. Jones, it's a race that needs to be scrapped. I'd love to see Imola back on the calendar.

schmenke
27th June 2011, 14:55
I fell asleep. The wife woke me up with about two laps to go. I took a quick glance at the standings then switched off the telly. :dozey:

schmenke
27th June 2011, 14:56
... I'd love to see Imola back on the calendar.

Yep :up:

D28
27th June 2011, 15:42
Valencia is the perfect argument against F1 having another city circuit. It already has about 3 too many for my taste.

steveaki13
28th June 2011, 18:02
Yes they seem to bring in a lot of street circuits assuming they will be close fun and tight racing, but other than the original (Monaco) the newer circuits are very dreary. I thought the same about the likes of Phoenix in the early 90's