PDA

View Full Version : Engine mapping: qualifying "specials" banned

Dave B
21st June 2011, 09:49
The FIA has clamped down on teams changing their engine maps between qualifying and the race, effectively ruling out qualifying specials such as the ones Red Bull are likely to be using.

In a note sent from F1 technical delegate Charlie Whiting to the teams, he made it clear that with immediate effect teams will no longer be allowed to change engine maps between qualifying and the race.

Such a move will effectively prevent teams from running an extreme engine map for qualifying - such as one that produces more exhaust blowing or burns more fuel – and then reverting to a safer setting for the grand prix itself.

Source: autosport.com - F1 News: FIA in new engine mapping clampdown (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92494)

The ruling takes place immediately, so I wonder if we'll see RBR dominate qualifying in Valencia as they have done so far this season...

I am evil Homer
21st June 2011, 10:02
Interesting...lets see how this pans out as I suspect a few teams were doing this.

ShiftingGears
21st June 2011, 10:31
Why bother banning it? Just more rules for the sake of rules.

555-04Q2
21st June 2011, 10:52
What a bunch of d!cks :down:

AndyL
21st June 2011, 11:53
Can't the driver already switch between engine maps during the race? Unless they're banning that as well I can't see how this could work.

This does look like it's aimed squarely at handicapping the championship leaders, which leaves a rather sour taste in the mouth.

F1boat
21st June 2011, 11:55
This is getting worse than the BTCC... :(

Retro Formula 1
21st June 2011, 13:39
I think some teams are probably bending the intention of the rules somewhat ;) Instead of qualifying engines, we get qualifying electronics and we all know that costly electronics development departments is something the FIA is trying to eradicate vis-a-vis the standard ECU.

The ethics of a F1 engine screaming under no load in a braking zone doesn't sit well with F1's desire to push greener technology either ;)

nigelred5
21st June 2011, 14:06
F1 is about as green as the diarrhea of rules changes they are spewing lately.

Dave B
21st June 2011, 14:33
The ethics of a F1 engine screaming under no load in a braking zone doesn't sit well with F1's desire to push greener technology either ;)
There's part of me that thinks F1 should stop with the pretence that it's remotely "green".

90,000 people travelling by road and air from all over the world to watch cars that were transported on a fleet of customised 747s or driven all round Europe in dozens articulated lorries... well it's never going to be that green, is it?

555-04Q2
21st June 2011, 15:42
There's part of me that thinks F1 should stop with the pretence that it's remotely "green".

90,000 people travelling by road and air from all over the world to watch cars that were transported on a fleet of customised 747s or driven all round Europe in dozens articulated lorries... well it's never going to be that green, is it?

I heard that all the fuel consumed by the 24 F1 cars over 20 races/quali sessions etc is less than the fuel consumed by just one Boeing 747 flight to a race meet. In that case, F1 cars are already very "green" :p :

Retro Formula 1
21st June 2011, 15:44
But they have offset the Carbon emissions accrued during a season to tick the "Green" box :p

gloomyDAY
21st June 2011, 16:43
This is getting more and more ridiculous.

What's next? Rip the wings off of the Red Bull if they continue to win?

wedge
21st June 2011, 17:08
Can't wait for what the guys in the factory come up with next.

RBR will still have an advantage in qualy. DRS is free-for-all in qualy and their rear wing is the most efficient - remember that Hamilton remarked how RBR had better DF at the Spanish GP.

greencroft
21st June 2011, 18:05
I thought that the drivers could change engine maps by twirling a knob on their steering wheel and that this was also used to trim fuel usage in a race or turn the wick up if some hot laps were needed.

Will all the teams now have to run standard FIA issue steering wheels to stop these dastardly practices?

wedge
21st June 2011, 20:39
Ooops, misread OP.

Sounds daft at first. Is this a temporary ban or still be in force next year when chimmney exhausts are brought back?

They can still change engine characteristics via fuel mixture. I wonder if that can be worked round for the trick exhausts?

Mia 01
21st June 2011, 20:54
The other teams tried to hamper RB last year to, remember the changed test of their front wing.
What´s next, a bann of RB :s rearwing?

steveaki13
21st June 2011, 22:42
The other teams tried to hamper RB last year to, remember the changed test of their front wing.

Nah they should really go for and just ban RB. :p :

greencroft
22nd June 2011, 09:02
They can still change engine characteristics via fuel mixture. I wonder if that can be worked round for the trick exhausts?

I would have thought changing fuel mixture was the same as changing maps - it must be being done electronically. I can't see how you can have the ability to change fuel mixture on the one hand and ban changing maps on the other. My only experience with engine mapping is with my rally car and that has separate fuel and ignition maps (and lots of others for anti lag etc) but all have to work together i.e. one ignition map would not be compatible with another fuelling map without the risk of getting detonation.

The Black Knight
22nd June 2011, 09:12
I see no harm in banning this at all. It's a bit ridiculous banning it mid season though we've all become to expect that level of amateurish behaviour the FIA over the years. They are a jokeshop.

On the other hand, it may give other teams a chance to get pole now, which would be no harm either and it might spice the season up a bit.

The Black Knight
22nd June 2011, 09:14

Yeah, well the rear wings aren't supposed to be flexible and cleary RB's wing last year was so you can hardly blame them.

Bruce D
22nd June 2011, 12:52
I've read this article about it Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/6/12196.html) and two things got me.

Firstly

previously it was possible to configure the engine maps to leave the throttle open and reduce the engine power by other means.

How on earth do they manage that. That I'd like to know. Cut spark to the plugs like traction control?

Secondly,

Furthermore, when the driver lifts fully off the throttle, the ECU maps must be configured to cut off the fuel supply to the engine - this is intended to prevent so called ‘hot blowing’ where the energy of the exhaust gas is increased by combustion.

Now maybe someone with a bit more knowledge of these engines can tell me, but if you stop the supply of fuel to the engine, wouldn't it stall?

SGWilko
22nd June 2011, 13:16
I've read this article about it Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/6/12196.html) and two things got me.

Firstly

How on earth do they manage that. That I'd like to know. Cut spark to the plugs like traction control?

Secondly,

Now maybe someone with a bit more knowledge of these engines can tell me, but if you stop the supply of fuel to the engine, wouldn't it stall?

AIUI there are two ways to supply air to the EBD's when on the 'overun'

1. Keep the trumpets open below the airbox as if you were on full throttle, but not have full throttle fuel supplied - RB have argued that Renault do this to cool the valves (cold blowing - not be confused what the GF does after an iced drink)

2. Full throttle remains full throttle, but the fuel air mixture is burnt in the exhaust utilising a retarded ignition map, so there is no power transfer via the pistons (hot blowing, and increases fuel consumption by upto 15%).

If you consider that in modern engines on road cars these days, as you approach a junction using engine braking, the ECU automatically cuts off the fuel supply....

Bruce D
22nd June 2011, 13:56
Thanks for that, these guys are so clever half the time it's scary.

airshifter
23rd June 2011, 04:53

Firstly

Secondly,

What they are in effect doing is using spark and fuel control to keep the engine producing the desired throttle effect, yet the butterflies on the throttles remain mostly open so that the air is still pumping through the engine at near the rate as if the engine was running in actual "normal" wide open throttle conditions.

Most normal road cars these days use a DCFO, Deceleration Fuel Cut Off. Above a certain speed complete lifting of the throttle cuts fuel supply, and only the weight and momentum of the car is turning over the engine and accessories. For the power steering, alternator, AC, etc 2000 RPM is 2000 RPM, and it doesn't matter if it is created by a "running" engine or a coasting engine. Though it may seem strange, if you take a light road car and put it in one of the upper gears, it's not all that hard to push. When you have the momentum of the engine already in play, along with the mass of the car, it keeps spinning just fine on it's own without fuel.

The major difference is that for normal road cars, this takes place with closed throttles which results in a high vacuum situation and very little air pumping through the engine. The F1 guys have essentially figured out how to create a system that is almost throttle-less with very little actual movement of the butterflies under these conditions.

I'm not real happy with the idea of limiting mapping myself. They figured it out, let them use it. My other concern is how to police it. I would assume that any major team would adjust maps up to the last minute based on expected weather and such to obtain the maximum possible range of settings for the expected race conditions. Placing an earlier time on when changes are cut off may limit the teams on things not related to the blown exhaust conditions.

555-04Q2
24th June 2011, 11:34
Despite the ban RBR's Mark Webber is fastest by some margin.

bluegem280
24th June 2011, 11:42
In mostly free practice yes, he is good too at demonstrating different technique used in every sector, but in the real race the winner is SV. ;)

555-04Q2
24th June 2011, 11:45
I think this "ban" could backfire on the FIA. Instead of penalising/slowing RBR, maybe its the other teams that lose out :s hock:

Mia 01
24th June 2011, 12:05
I think this "ban" could backfire on the FIA. Instead of penalising/slowing RBR, maybe its the other teams that lose out :s hock:

This.

ioan
24th June 2011, 18:08
The ban is only on one feature of the exhaust blown diffuser, it's about banning the part where the engines are revved high while driving around slower corners.
However, unless I am wrong, a driver can replicate these settings by using the throttle and brake pedal at the same time, sure is not the same as a pre-defined setting, however it can be done.

SGWilko
24th June 2011, 18:17
The ban is only on one feature of the exhaust blown diffuser, it's about banning the part where the engines are revved high while driving around slower corners.
However, unless I am wrong, a driver can replicate these settings by using the throttle and brake pedal at the same time, sure is not the same as a pre-defined setting, however it can be done.

I thought they were not allowed to change engine maps from qually to race from this weekend, and the hot/cold blowing will be banned from Silverstone.......????

Mia 01
24th June 2011, 19:56
I thought they were not allowed to change engine maps from qually to race from this weekend, and the hot/cold blowing will be banned from Silverstone.......????

This. Seb was running the configuration in FP1. Macca was not, RB in front one moore time.

wedge
25th June 2011, 14:46
Scarbs tries to make sense of it all

Valencia: Ban on engine map changes « Scarbsf1's Blog (http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/valencia-ban-on-engine-map-changes/)