PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Schedule silly season thread

MDS
19th June 2011, 04:41
It’s summer, the schedule should be released in two to three months so let the speculation begin. I’ve heard from someone on a team that they have been told to prepare a budget for 18 races next year, and there will be at least two new dates. One date will replace Motegi and the other new date. Everything points to Houston being the new addition, but supposedly Porto Allegro is all but done, also and they’re in talks with both California and Chicago to replace Motegi.

Projected 2012 Izod Indy Car Schedule

March 25 Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
April 8 Honda Grand Prix of Alabama
April 15 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
April 29 Sao Palo Indy 300
May 27 Indianapolis 500
June 3 The Milwaukee Mile
June 9 Firestone Twin 275s
June 25 Iowa Corn Indy 250
July 8 Streets of Toronto
July 22 Streets of Edmonton
Aug 5 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Aug 12 New Hampshire Motorspeedway
Aug 26 Infineon Raceway
Sept. 2 Streets of Baltimore
Sept. 16 California Motor Speedway
Sept. 30 Kentucky Speedway
Oct. 7 Streets of Houston, Reliant Stadium
Oct. 14 Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Tracks in Bold have a contract signed for 2012, although other than Indy and Long Beach the dates are not confirmed.

There shouldn’t be a lot of changes to the schedule, organizers know that consistency is the key to building events. I think The Milwaukee Mile will get its traditional date on the schedule back, but that’s just my opinion at the moment.

A number of the event titles should change. I’ve heard that both Lotus and Chevy are going to title sponsor at least one race each. I think Honda is going to give up one of the Canadian rounds to a Canadian sponsor and from what I’ve heard it’s almost a lock that one of GM’s brands will be the name sponsor of the Baltimore race next year.

In related news Octane, the promoters of Edmonton and the F-1 race at Montreal are sniffing around the Toronto Grand Prix. Also look out for the pre-season testing schedule, the 2012 off season is going to be far more extensive than the previous two. Look for two to three official tests with both ovals and roads. Seabring, Barber, Vegas, and Phoenix are the obvious choices but we'll probably see a track that's not on the schedule as a test track in 2012. If you see Road Atlanta, Arizona Motorsport Park or the Austin track on the schedule its most likely a tryout.

Scotty G.
22nd June 2011, 00:51
Projected 2012 Izod Indy Car Schedule

March 25 Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
April 8 Honda Grand Prix of Alabama
April 15 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
April 29 Sao Palo Indy 300
May 27 Indianapolis 500
June 3 The Milwaukee Mile
June 9 Firestone Twin 275s
June 25 Iowa Corn Indy 250
July 8 Streets of Toronto
July 22 Streets of Edmonton
Aug 5 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Aug 12 New Hampshire Motorspeedway
Aug 26 Infineon Raceway
Sept. 2 Streets of Baltimore
Sept. 16 California Motor Speedway
Sept. 30 Kentucky Speedway
Oct. 7 Streets of Houston, Reliant Stadium
Oct. 14 Las Vegas Motor Speedway

19 races.

8 ovals. 10 street/roads.

Milwaukee, Motegi and Sears Point off the schedule.

Houston, Road America, Chicago and Phoenix (possibly paired with the NASCAR Cup race??) are added.

8 ovals (9 races with Texas doing the 2 race thing again) will be Indianapolis, Texas, Iowa, Chicago, Kentucky, Las Vegas, Loudon and Phoenix.

10 road/streets are Long Beach, St. Pete, Baltimore, Houston, Toronto, Edmonton, Brazil, Elkhart Lake, Birmingham and Mid Ohio.

numanoid
22nd June 2011, 19:16
I hope they keep Milwaukee. Chicago would be a nice addition.

Pat Wiatrowski
23rd June 2011, 17:19
I doubt you will see Road America on the schedule.

Dr. Krogshöj
24th June 2011, 17:09
Milwaukee was by far the best race this year in my opinion. Overtaking wasn't easy, but there still a lot of passing on track. It is spectacular for the fans challanging for the drivers. It would be a shame to loose it again.

00steven
24th June 2011, 17:16
I doubt you will see Road America on the schedule.

I don't know, Speed's Robin Miller has reported that many of the series top drivers are telling Randy Bernard that he should seriously consider putting the race on the 2012 schedule. Bernard has also stated that he would like to see a return to the circut. So I guess we'll see...

Pat Wiatrowski
24th June 2011, 18:27
I don't know, Speed's Robin Miller has reported that many of the series top drivers are telling Randy Bernard that he should seriously consider putting the race on the 2012 schedule. Bernard has also stated that he would like to see a return to the circut. So I guess we'll see...

Just maybe those drivers should be talking to the stockholders of Road America.

ICWS
26th June 2011, 06:02
MDS,

Please correct if I'm wrong, but isn't IndyCar supposed to do a street course race in Porto Alegre, Brazil as the season opener next year (March 11)?

heliocastroneves#3
4th August 2011, 13:21
Someone told me Randy Bernard wants to have a calendar with at least 20 races. I don't believe that this will happen next year, but if it's gonna happen I think this will be the calendar:

01. Streets of St. Petersburg - Road course
02. Barber Motorsports Park - Road course
03. Streets of Long Beach - Road course
04. Streets of Sao Paulo - Road course
05. 96th Indianapolis 500 - Oval
06. The Milwaukee Mile - Oval
07. Texas Motor Speedway Race #1 - Oval
08. Texas Motor Speedway Race #2 - Oval
09. Iowa Speedway Race #1 - Oval
10. Iowa Speedway Race #2 - Oval
11. Streets of Toronto - Road course
12. Road America, Elkhart Lake - Road course
13. Edmonton City Centre Airport - Road course
14. New Hampshire Motor Speedway - Oval
15. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Road course
16. Infineon Raceway - Road course
17. Houston Reliant Park - Road course
18. Kentucky Speedway - Oval
19. Chicagoland Speedway - Oval
20. Auto Club Speedway, Fontana - Oval
21. Phoenix International Raceway - Oval
22. Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oval

If this is gonna happen we have a good balanced schedule.

ICWS
4th August 2011, 18:50
Someone told me Randy Bernard wants to have a calendar with at least 20 races. I don't believe that this will happen next year, but if it's gonna happen I think this will be the calendar:

06. The Milwaukee Mile - Oval
07. Texas Motor Speedway Race #1 - Oval
08. Texas Motor Speedway Race #2 - Oval
09. Iowa Speedway Race #1 - Oval
10. Iowa Speedway Race #2 - Oval
11. Streets of Toronto - Road course
12. Road America, Elkhart Lake - Road course
13. Edmonton City Centre Airport - Road course
14. New Hampshire Motor Speedway - Oval
15. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Road course
16. Infineon Raceway - Road course
17. Houston Reliant Park - Road course
18. Kentucky Speedway - Oval
19. Chicagoland Speedway - Oval
20. Auto Club Speedway, Fontana - Oval
21. Phoenix International Raceway - Oval
22. Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oval

If this is gonna happen we have a good balanced schedule.

Where's Baltimore?

NY2IA
4th August 2011, 19:13
Such a shame Watkins Glen is not back on the schedule.

nigelred5
4th August 2011, 20:12
Where's Baltimore?

Beat me to it. I seriously doubt it will be a one and done, though I can already see a couple potential track changes.

garyshell
4th August 2011, 21:34
Part way between Wash. DC and Philly.
:p

I was waiting for that...

Gary

00steven
4th August 2011, 23:08
Such a shame Watkins Glen is not back on the schedule.

I completely agree. It's my favorite road race.

nigelred5
5th August 2011, 02:28
I was waiting for that...

Gary

I resisted earlier........

ICWS
5th August 2011, 05:24
Part way between Wash. DC and Philly.

Pardon me,

"What about the Baltimore race?"

ICWS
6th August 2011, 06:53
Ultimately, I think that the schedule will be between at least 16 and at most 19 races. I'm unfortunately doubtful that Road America and Phoenix will be added. I think Chicagoland and/or Houston may be added, but I'm not 100% confident about those two races. Milwaukee is a 50/50 situation, but I hope it stays on the schedule (hopefully moved back to the weekend after the Indy 500).

Here's what I think the schedule may be (questionable races in bold):

1. St. Petersburg
2. Houston
3. Birmingham
3. Long Beach
5. Sao Paulo
6. Indianapolis
7. Milwaukee
8. Texas
9. Iowa
10. Chicagoland
11. Toronto
12. Edmonton
13. Mid-Ohio
14. New Hampshire
15. Sonoma
16. Baltimore
17. Fontana
18. Kentucky
19. Las Vegas

If they can get all 19 of those races on the schedule, I think that would be a good schedule for next year.

elan 02
8th August 2011, 03:45
Who thinks Laguna Seca should take Sonomas spot. I know, neither have good passing zones. I just think with LS history and the natural beauty of the area it should be reconsidered. The Andretti hairpin and the corkscrew blows away anything Sonoma offers

mr_swiss
8th August 2011, 17:12
Who thinks Laguna Seca should take Sonomas spot. I know, neither have good passing zones. I just think with LS history and the natural beauty of the area it should be reconsidered. The Andretti hairpin and the corkscrew blows away anything Sonoma offers

I'd love to see Laguna Seca back on the schedule.
Great viewing form the hill side, nice to get up close at the corkscrew.
Laguna has always been a great weekend trip.
Count me in the next time they race there.

00steven
8th August 2011, 18:06

I love Leguna Seca! It should be raced on over Sonoma.

Scotty G.
10th August 2011, 15:39
2012 schedule:

OVALS (10)- Indianapolis, Texas (2), Iowa, Loudon, Kentucky, Las Vegas, Fontana, Chicago and Richmond

ROAD/STREETS (10)- Long Beach, Brazil, St. Pete, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio, Edmonton, Toronto, Sonoma, Elkhart Lake, Houston

Japan, Milwaukee and Baltimore are dumped.

Possible dates (appoximate):

Early March- St. Pete
Mid March- Houston
Late March- Barber
Early April- Long Beach
Late April- Brazil
Late May- Indianapolis
Early June- Texas
Mid June- Iowa
Late June- Richmond
Early July- Toronto
Mid July- Edmonton
Late July- Chicago
Early August- Mid Ohio
Mid August- Loudon
Late August- Sonoma
Early September- Elkhart Lake
Late September- Kentucky
Early October- Fontana
Mid October- Las Vegas

heliocastroneves#3
12th August 2011, 10:22
Tracks in bold are confirmed for 2012, I just modified my calendar... Because I don't expect 22 races already next year and I forgot Baltimore.. :P

06. Texas Motor Speedway Race #1 - Oval
07. Texas Motor Speedway Race #2 - Oval
08. Iowa Speedway Race #1 - Oval
09. Iowa Speedway Race #2 - Oval
10. Streets of Toronto - Road course
11. Edmonton City Centre Airport - Road course
12. New Hampshire Motor Speedway - Oval
13. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Road course
14. Infineon Raceway - Road course
15. Streets of Baltimore - Road course
16. Kentucky Speedway - Oval
17. Chicagoland Speedway - Oval
18. Auto Club Speedway, Fontana - Oval
19. Phoenix International Raceway - Oval
20. Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oval

nigelred5
12th August 2011, 16:17
I love Leguna Seca! It should be raced on over Sonoma.

I just don't like watching racing from Sears Point. Dirt everywhere, no real straightaway, passing usually involves a parking lot crash and It just looks like what it is, a club racing and test track.

Dr. Krogshöj
14th August 2011, 12:56
People complain about both Laguna Seca and Sears Point but IndyCar has to have a race somewhere in Northern California. Champ Car had an idea about an airfield race at Moffett Field in the Silicon Valley but I'd prefer a proper road course. I would personally choose Laguna Seca but Sears Point is an SMI track so Sears Point it is.

dataman1
14th August 2011, 21:36
The crowd has voted at Louden and the verdict is: LOOSER!

ICWS
2nd September 2011, 08:14
...So Milwaukee is off the schedule for 2012, and Road America may take its place. Also, IndyCar is closer to confirming adding street races in Porto Alegre, Brazil and Qingdao, China. IndyCar considered Mexico City and Detroit but it appears they'll wait at least one more year before deciding whether to add those one or both of those to the schedule or not. It remains to be seen if Chicagoland and/or Houston will be added to the schedule. As of now, I would expect to see at least an 18-event/20-race schedule (with Texas and Iowa serving as doubleheaders) and possibly Road America, Houston, and/or Chicagoland being added:

Ovals (7) - Indianapolis, Texas, Iowa, New Hampshire, California, Kentucky, Las Vegas.

Street/Road Courses (11) - St. Petersburg, Barber, Long Beach, Sao Paulo, Toronto, Edmonton, Mid-Ohio, Sonoma, Baltimore, China, Porto Alegre.

heliocastroneves#3
2nd September 2011, 17:01
If that's gonna be the calendar then I won't call it a balanced schedule anymore.... IndyCar was made for oval racing and now the road courses are just with 4 more... That's not right! Last years' calendar was perfect!

ICWS
4th September 2011, 07:48
schumacher180,

Unfortunately, this is just the trend that IndyCar has been facing for a while now, and so with each passing year we should expect to see less ovals and more road/street courses on the schedule. The attendance at IndyCar races this year has shown that more people show up for races on road and street courses than they do for races at oval tracks. Randy Bernard, despite his desire to keep a half-oval/half-road race schedule, is beginning to be more aware of where IndyCar's strength in attendance is and its clearly at the road and street courses. So it should be no surprise that the schedule looks close to the one I projected above, that being more road races than oval tracks.

Perhaps in the not-too-distant future, the Indianapolis 500 may be the only oval race on the schedule and the rest being road races, essentially making IndyCar out to being the American alternative to Formula 1. This may actually end up being the best thing for the series to do as they would no longer have to suffer with poor attendance at ovals like Milwaukee, but I do know how much the purist IndyCar fans who've followed the series before the split want to keep a balanced schedule of ovals and road races in order to make the series unique.

heliocastroneves#3
4th September 2011, 10:07
Well... I think that definitely everything comes alright (balanced schedules in the future), I'm sure Bernard also wants to have a balanced schedule.... I'm following IndyCar long enough to believe that everything will come alright. I never was a fan of CART, I just started following the IndyCar Series in 1996 (the first race at the Walt Disney World Speedway) ;)

I don't think we will see less ovals as Charlotte and Chicagoland might return next year... If that's gonna happen then we have again a real balance as Iowa will probably be a doubleheader. I really don't understand why people do prefer to go to a race on a road course then on an oval.... I've enjoyed all the races on road courses this year (and all other seasons), but it's nothing next to Indianapolis, Texas, Iowa, Milwaukee and New Hampshire to be honest. But I'll stay positive that IndyCar will always be the unique series with a balanced schedule. :)

I've been to an IndyCar race only two times, but I live in The Netherlands so I can't go to each race which I want.

I went to Indy this year and as a child I was at Vegas in 1997.

I still think the calendar will be like this:

06. Texas Motor Speedway Race #1 - Oval
07. Texas Motor Speedway Race #2 - Oval
08. Iowa Speedway Race #1 - Oval
09. Iowa Speedway Race #2 - Oval
10. Streets of Toronto - Road course
11. Edmonton City Centre Airport - Road course
12. New Hampshire Motor Speedway - Oval
13. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Road course
14. Infineon Raceway - Road course
15. Streets of Baltimore - Road course
16. Kentucky Speedway - Oval
17. Chicagoland Speedway - Oval
18. Auto Club Speedway, Fontana - Oval
19. Phoenix International Raceway - Oval
20. Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oval

But that might not be true... At least I'll be close... :D

*Tracks in bold are confirmed for 2012.*

jwhite9185
4th September 2011, 10:33
Pretty sure Curt Cavin said Phoenix won't be on the schedule for the foreseeable future.

Shame, as i would like to see that race return, along with Homestead, Michigan, Nazareth (won't happen!), Portland, Road America etc.

Seems like its going the way of CART again - although i guess thats a better option than having no series at all to follow.

heliocastroneves#3
4th September 2011, 10:59
Then Charlotte could come in Phoenix' place... It could be possible that IndyCar is becoming the new CART...... But I don't believe in it, I'll remain positive!

Why IndyCar is not gonna do two championships like NASCAR is having three? I mean the Indy Road Series and the Indy Oval Challenge would be a good one... Nah, just kiddin'! :D

Homestead is such a great oval, but I would prefer MIS... But luckily we have Auto Club Speedway's return. :D

Phoenixent
4th September 2011, 17:56
They meed to get MIS back on the schedule so they can have the 500 mile Triple Crown again. The Triple Crown is such a tough feat the in the history of Indycar racing since 1971 only one driver ever won it. That wold be Al Unser Sr. in 1978 as he won all three 500 milers.

FIAT1
5th September 2011, 19:58
RM stated on versus that won't be RA. That's a bummer.

Lousada
23rd September 2011, 21:29
Time for another update?
New Hampshire gone.
Road America, they want the Indycars to join the August ALMS date, but Randy ain't happy with that. A June/early July date out of the question.
Belle Isle, rumoured to be the week after Indy...
Sonoma, the WTCC has announced a 23 September race there. How will this affect the Indycar race? Is it a coincidence that just this week the Laguna Seca rumours pop up again?

jrock
28th September 2011, 17:49
I was at baltimore, I live here, I saw the ratings saw the turnout, its here for the next 4 years, thought richmond got dumped? hope chicago comes back

2012 schedule:

OVALS (10)- Indianapolis, Texas (2), Iowa, Loudon, Kentucky, Las Vegas, Fontana, Chicago and Richmond

ROAD/STREETS (10)- Long Beach, Brazil, St. Pete, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio, Edmonton, Toronto, Sonoma, Elkhart Lake, Houston

Japan, Milwaukee and Baltimore are dumped.

Possible dates (appoximate):

Early March- St. Pete
Mid March- Houston
Late March- Barber
Early April- Long Beach
Late April- Brazil
Late May- Indianapolis
Early June- Texas
Mid June- Iowa
Late June- Richmond
Early July- Toronto
Mid July- Edmonton
Late July- Chicago
Early August- Mid Ohio
Mid August- Loudon
Late August- Sonoma
Early September- Elkhart Lake
Late September- Kentucky
Early October- Fontana
Mid October- Las Vegas

anthonyvop
28th September 2011, 18:38
Unless IndyCar SELLS 35K or more tickets to the Las Vegas finale they would be smart to dump it if Bruton Smith doesn't want to be the promoter.

DBell
12th October 2011, 16:05
There will be a BB in charge of Race Control next year.

Just my opinion, but you heard it here first.

A BB, but not TGBB? The way you worded it makes me think it's not Brainfart. Any elaboration? Hell, even if it's Bugs Bunny, it'll be a improvement over the current BB.

Dr. Krogshöj
12th October 2011, 17:22
Just a random thought, it's funny how 28,000 people make Loudon look empty and make Iowa look full.