PDA

View Full Version : Sorta off topic....Which Vehicle requires the most Driver input to be fast and Win?

SarahFan
18th June 2011, 17:10
its often said a certain portion of being fast in an Indycar at say a track like Texas in "the Car"

so just curios what others think requires the most racers input...

*Im going to post a poll, but feel free to rank them also

Lousada
19th June 2011, 17:53
Are you talking about the vehicle in itself or the sport? Because for example a rally car is easy to drive on a formula one track. But in an actual rally the driver input is huge because he has to adapt to various surfaces, has to make good notes, has to anticipate everything that might happen, etc.

SarahFan
19th June 2011, 18:20
Interpret the question any way you wish....

How do you rank them?

Marbles
20th June 2011, 02:59
I'd vote but I can't see my '82 Volvo DL up there.

nigelred5
20th June 2011, 18:42
I'd vote but I can't see my '82 Volvo DL up there.

"other" ;)

Considering a Motorcycle won't even stand up with out a rider.... it's ALL about rider input. You can hustly a slow motorcross bike. The question is how much of the rider will be left at hte end of the day.

Bob Riebe
21st June 2011, 03:48
"other" ;)

Considering a Motorcycle won't even stand up with out a rider.... it's ALL about rider input. You can hustly a slow motorcross bike. The question is how much of the rider will be left at hte end of the day.I agree that a motorcycle of some sort gets that automatic advantage over any four, or three wheel vehicle.
A person often can spin, or go into a slide with a car, and recover. I have never, ever seen anyone spin a bike and recover, and those who stay on the wheel in a slide are a tiny fraction compared to cars.

nigelred5
21st June 2011, 13:13
Road Race bikes slide constantly, are frequently on one wheel at a severe angle riding the chicken strip accelerating out of a turn. motocross bikes are rarelt on both wheels. There's just no comparison to a car when it comes to rider/driver input, but the bike still has a big input. Even Rossi can't make the current Ducati a consistent winner

Mark in Oshawa
21st June 2011, 18:08
I wouldn't have put the motorcycles in the poll. Of course they are more operator dependent. This however is a car argument that occurs all the time....and when assessing racing drivers, you very quickly find out that the drivers that go from The IRL where the cars are aero dependent and engineered to a series like Cup or Dirt track racing, they struggle unless they have a real good skill set from their early career before the IRL.

The fact is, loose race cars and series where loose is fast show off a bit more skill than some of the other series...

Bob Riebe
21st June 2011, 18:09
A non-deliberate slide is not the same thing as a controlled driver input deliberate slide, which Freddie Spencer made famous.

beachbum
25th June 2011, 04:23
A non-deliberate slide is not the same thing as a controlled driver input deliberate slide, which Freddie Spencer made famous.Freddie may have made it famous, but it was and is a very common technique in pro road racing. Almost every pro even in Freddie's era did it on a regular basis, sometimes with the front wheel in the air at the same time. But too much slide is slower. Getting the tire to hook up is faster.

But to answer the poll - all of them.

nigelred5
27th June 2011, 01:06
Watch some of the super slo-mo of MotoGP, WSB or AMA proracing. Better yet, footage of the Isle of Man TT. Incredible control on real world roads at insane speeds.

SarahFan
27th June 2011, 03:36
Who voted Indycar and why?

beachbum
27th June 2011, 11:27
Watch some of the super slo-mo of MotoGP, WSB or AMA proracing. Better yet, footage of the Isle of Man TT. Incredible control on real world roads at insane speeds.I was involved with AMA Suberbike and saw more incredible examples of control than ever seen on TV. Like almost all racing, it captures only part of the action.

nigelred5
27th June 2011, 11:54
I was involved with AMA Suberbike and saw more incredible examples of control than ever seen on TV. Like almost all racing, it captures only part of the action.

I totally agree, but we don't all get that opportunity that often. I don't get to see the bikes near as often as I used to, but I've seen AMA at Sears Point, Daytona, New Jersey, and Mid-Ohio.