PDA

View Full Version : Just how much money does Bernie (Ecclestone) have?

airshifter
15th June 2011, 04:57
Apparently enough to buy his 22 year old daughter a house. A 57,000 square foot house. I just hope some of these kids of the obscene wealthy have the common sense to not self destruct. Can you imagine the parties you could have with that much space on hand? :)

U.K. Heiress Buys America's Most Expensive Mansion - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/uk-heiress-buys-americas-most-expensive-mansion.html)

555-04Q2
15th June 2011, 06:28
The last estimate was around US$ 3-4 billion if I remember correctly. Problem is, no one actually knows. All I know is he has a lot of real cash in the bank, unlike a lot of other billionares.

GridGirl
15th June 2011, 07:18
Didn't Bernie just buy her a £65m house in London a couple of months ago too. That's over £100m in two houses. :o Alright for some. :)

I was recently reading something about Bill Gates and him gifting his wealth away. It's reported that his three kids will inherit as little as £10m each. It sounds a fair sum is only a minute fraction of his wealth.

The Black Knight
15th June 2011, 12:33
Didn't Bernie just buy her a £65m house in London a couple of months ago too. That's over £100m in two houses. :o Alright for some. :)

I was recently reading something about Bill Gates and him gifting his wealth away. It's reported that his three kids will inherit as little as £10m each. It sounds a fair sum is only a minute fraction of his wealth.

Well considering he was at one stage worth over 80 billion it is not very much at all. Bill Gates is a man I have huge admiration for. He is doing great work for poverty and has already given over 30 billion US $'s to charity, as far as I'm aware. Some of his TED conferences are brilliant. The man really sees the bigger picture. He is a true philantropist.

schmenke
15th June 2011, 14:22
Bernie’s personal fortune is vast indeed, but let’s not forget his financial responsibility to manage the debt held by the CVC group, of which he is a shareholder, who owns the FOM group. Last I heard the CVC net debt is several $ billion. There's a lot riding on Bernie's shoulders :mark:

markabilly
15th June 2011, 14:54
Well considering he was at one stage worth over 80 billion it is not very much at all. Bill Gates is a man I have huge admiration for. He is doing great work for poverty and has already given over 30 billion US $'s to charity, as far as I'm aware. Some of his TED conferences are brilliant. The man really sees the bigger picture. He is a true philantropist.

yeah, but bernie is giving it to a charity, ie, his kid

Mine all think that pop should be more charitable...........TO THEM

ioan
15th June 2011, 18:12
Too much, way too much.

CaptainRaiden
15th June 2011, 18:16
Too much, way too much.

It's his money afterall, he can do whatever the heck he wants with it. Same way I don't understand why people waste electricity and water the way they do, just because they pay for it.

Daniel
15th June 2011, 19:27

Yup.

ioan
15th June 2011, 22:55

Mentioning Bill Gates and BE in the same thread is a blasphemy.
While Ecclestone made a fortune for himself by the means we all know, and mostly don't approve, Gates made a fortune that is used to help the less lucky people on Earth, huge difference.

anthonyvop
16th June 2011, 23:20
Mentioning Bill Gates and BE in the same thread is a blasphemy.
While Ecclestone made a fortune for himself by the means we all know, and mostly don't approve, Gates made a fortune that is used to help the less lucky people on Earth, huge difference.

Bill Gates "philanthropy" is just a tax dodge in the from of good P.R..

If you compare business tactics Bernie's Billions were earned much more ethically than Bill Gates.

BDunnell
17th June 2011, 00:27

If you compare business tactics Bernie's Billions were earned much more ethically than Bill Gates.

Explain.

anthonyvop
17th June 2011, 01:28
Bill Gates "philanthropy" is just a tax dodge in the form of good P.R..

Explain.

I Thought it would obvious to a Euro-type like you.

BDunnell
17th June 2011, 10:47

I have no idea what you are on about. Please give us the benefit of your in-depth analysis as to the comparative ethical dimensions behind the respective wealth of Messrs Gates and Ecclestone. I expect it will have recourse to a substantial amount of independent, peer-reviewed academic research.

Malbec
17th June 2011, 15:11
While Ecclestone made a fortune for himself by the means we all know, and mostly don't approve,

I don't think you can say that Gates acquired his fortune entirely through ethical means either. Many of his business decisions in particular his treatment of software developers he dealt with while building up the Windows empire has been very questionable in terms of ethics.

ioan
17th June 2011, 21:53

Rubbish.

Bill Gates gave up biggest part of his fortune to dodge much smaller taxes?! You're a looney.

ioan
17th June 2011, 21:54

Rubbish is never obvious to us.

odykas
17th June 2011, 22:21

You don't have to donate to avoid taxes.
Just move parts of your business to a tax haven country and the job is done....

Jag_Warrior
17th June 2011, 22:24
I don't think you can say that Gates acquired his fortune entirely through ethical means either. Many of his business decisions in particular his treatment of software developers he dealt with while building up the Windows empire has been very questionable in terms of ethics.

+1

Gates is also the same guy who tried to cheat one of his "friends" (MSFT co-founder Paul Allen) out of his Microsoft shares, through dilution, while the man was focused on fighting a life threatening battle with cancer. Just because Gates has always had a boyish, sweet face, his nature has always been more that of a snake (IMO) - but (like Bernie) that has served him well.

As for Bernie, he doesn't hide his predatory nature... or his lack of taste - which he seems to have passed on to his children. Aaron Spelling was the picture of excess and gaudiness. So, I think this mansion fits the Ecclestone profile pretty well. I'm glad the tasteless little muppet brought F1 to where it is though. :)

BTW:
Bernie Ecclestone Fights to Save His Formula One Empire (http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,768806,00.html)

odykas
17th June 2011, 22:40

Bill Gates became rich by leveraging Micro$oft's monopoly.
I wouldn't call this ethical.

Daniel
17th June 2011, 22:55

But Ody, do you honestly think the world would be a better place if, rather than Microsoft being a monopoly, we had 3 or 4 big players. Both you and I know how bad things were back in the 90's with regards to standards, compatability and so on.

I remember as a child in school we had machines running the BBC Acorn OS, DOS and other stuff I can't remember. Problem is that the skills you had from dealing with one OS didn't translate across to the other OS and at this point in time we didn't have the sheer number of people in the world to crank out the quality content for multiple OS's. Sure now there are millions of people in the world who can code and we have the internet so tOdy can code while parked in his Fazza @ Rascasse and send that code to someone in Australia in seconds so nowadays we can have a certain amount of fragmentation. But I would argue that if Microsoft hadn't done what they did that we'd be years and years behind and computing wouldn't be nearly as pervasive as it is now. If Apple had continued on as it did or if Linux had become the standard then we'd have arrived where we are now, but Microsoft was the standard and I think it's all worked out well.

AAReagles
18th June 2011, 05:15
.... Sure now there are millions of people in the world who can code and we have the internet so tOdy can code while parked in his Fazza @ Rascasse and send that code to someone in Australia in seconds so nowadays we can have a certain amount of fragmentation. But I would argue that if Microsoft hadn't done what they did that we'd be years and years behind and computing wouldn't be nearly as pervasive as it is now. If Apple had continued on as it did or if Linux had become the standard then we'd have arrived where we are now, but Microsoft was the standard and I think it's all worked out well.

It's worked out for us who are fortunate enough to be on top of the digital divide. Not sure about those less fortunate however.

He's made contributions to Africa, which needs perhaps far more assistance than the rest of the world. But I have to wonder what he has actually established for the population to sustain themselves.

Can't say that I'm buying into his co-partnership of 'The Pledge' with Warren Buffet. I think it's just another PR ploy as someone mentioned earlier. Which is easy to do if you've cornered the market on a product/service that is essential for the developed societies to function on; Gates (OS software), Buffet (transportation of products).

As odykas pointed out:

... of which Gates was investigated for by the US gov for anti-trust violatioins.

anthonyvop
18th June 2011, 05:33
Rubbish.

Bill Gates gave up biggest part of his fortune to dodge much smaller taxes?! You're a looney.

You do realize that his "Charitable" donations are Tax deductible don't ya? And not just the checks he writes!!! Plus there is all that great PR. Ever notice how a lot of his issues with the Justice Department seemed to have faded away since he began so philanthropic?

anthonyvop
18th June 2011, 05:35
You don't have to donate to avoid taxes.
Just move parts of your business to a tax haven country and the job is done....

For US citizens your Income is taxed no matter where you live. You can't do like what some Brits do and move to Monaco

odykas
18th June 2011, 09:27
But Ody, do you honestly think the world would be a better place if, rather than Microsoft being a monopoly, we had 3 or 4 big players. Both you and I know how bad things were back in the 90's with regards to standards, compatability and so on.

I believe everyone (apart from Bill Gates) would prefer to have an many options as possible to choose from.
As regards to compatibility issue, this wouldn't be a problem if the vendors used open standards and not proprietary solutions (like Micro$soft does to empower monopoly).

BDunnell
18th June 2011, 10:22
For US citizens your Income is taxed no matter where you live. You can't do like what some Brits do and move to Monaco

I presume, as an advocate of allowing people to do everything they want, you have no objection to this?

Daniel
18th June 2011, 11:32
I believe everyone (apart from Bill Gates) would prefer to have an many options as possible to choose from.
As regards to compatibility issue, this wouldn't be a problem if the vendors used open standards and not proprietary solutions (like Micro$soft does to empower monopoly).

But I think we've got choice now? Sadly not everyone wants to use standards, not even Google!

Daniel
18th June 2011, 12:52
http://www.megaleecher.net/uploads/geek-comic-update.jpg

anthonyvop
18th June 2011, 15:30
I presume, as an advocate of allowing people to do everything they want, you have no objection to this?

Objection to what?

Do I object to the Government taking money by force from income generated outside the USA? You bet I do.

Do I object to people fleeing repressive taxation by moving to a more advantageous country? Not at all

BDunnell
18th June 2011, 16:01
Objection to what?

Do I object to the Government taking money by force from income generated outside the USA? You bet I do.

Go round to the offices of the Government department responsible with your much-vaunted gun and DEMAND YOUR FREEDOM!

markabilly
18th June 2011, 18:27
+1

Gates is also the same guy who tried to cheat one of his "friends" (MSFT co-founder Paul Allen) out of his Microsoft shares, through dilution, while the man was focused on fighting a life threatening battle with cancer. Just because Gates has always had a boyish, sweet face, his nature has always been more that of a snake (IMO) - but (like Bernie) that has served him well.

As for Bernie, he doesn't hide his predatory nature... or his lack of taste - which he seems to have passed on to his children. Aaron Spelling was the picture of excess and gaudiness. So, I think this mansion fits the Ecclestone profile pretty well. I'm glad the tasteless little muppet brought F1 to where it is though. :)

BTW:
Bernie Ecclestone Fights to Save His Formula One Empire (http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,768806,00.html)

Gates is actually something of a nut case. Brilliant in many respects, but has some major social interaction problems with other people and many claim he is suffering from Asperger’s Syndrome which is a form of autism

While not a classic severe case, he does have many mannerisms, speech and habits that would put him close to the being in the group. And autism is a spectrum type disorder, where some may be completely in its grasp while others may overcome many of its problems, or avoid then altogether

Rumor has it that the organization runs his life more than he runs the life of the organization, and those who have survived at the top, learned to treat him as though he did have the disorder......

markabilly
18th June 2011, 18:31
Go round to the offices of the Government department responsible with your much-vaunted gun and DEMAND YOUR FREEDOM!
He would, but first he would have to get a gun permit or he might get in trouble....

driveace
18th June 2011, 18:58
Well !!!!! Back to the question "Does Bernie Eccleston have too much money" Yes,he does,and does he pay enough taxes,I think not !
Most people would be grateful of what Bill gates,and Microsoft,have enabled the normal citizen to do from his/her armchair ! i also think he has too much money too,but at least he does give some away,whether to avoid tax I dont care,at least he does give some away,to help others.

airshifter
18th June 2011, 22:13
I didn't intend for this thread to become a Bernie/Bill/anone else bashing thread, just pointing out how much money some of the worlds elite have.

And my charitable donations are tax deductible as well. I think it's only fair that the very wealthy who pay a much higher tax rate in most cases get the same break as those of us with less money. Considering how much money some of these people make, they would likely still remain in that countries highest tax bracket regardless.