PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Button

Stuartf12007
12th June 2011, 22:44
What a race by Jenson, it was brilliant to watch, and the last lap was fantastic when he scared Vettel off the track.

Well done Jenson a great win to a great race.

Awesome.

Wasted Talent
12th June 2011, 22:46
x2

Hope Lewis can learn from this - you cannot win a race in the first five laps but you can certainly lose it

WT

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2011, 22:46
And he's such a splendid looking man.

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/images/uploads/jenson_button1.jpg

Sadly I think he'll get a 25 sec penalty for hitting Alonso.

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 23:20
Be interesting to see if he is penalized.

Lewis didn't look as pumped as the rest in the Mclaren garage, when Jenson took the lead.

52Paddy
12th June 2011, 23:39
I really hope he doesn't get a penalty in the post-race investigations. I don't think he did anything wrong and it would be extremely harsh if this win was robbed from him. If they had to penalise him, it would be much fairer if he could just get a grid penalty or similar at the next event.

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 23:53
I think its the incident with Alonso being investigated (correct me if i am wrong) so it all depends who they judge as at fault, Button was up the inside on the racing line, but Alonso was a fair way infront.

Don't think he will be punished today, otherwise a Drive Thru would have been given as it happened early in the race and to change the winner would cause a lot of fuss.

I think the stewards will take the easier option and a grid penalty next race.

Mark
13th June 2011, 07:46
No penalty. One of the best victories not just for Button but for any driver!

Roamy
13th June 2011, 08:28
I just like great drives and today we saw one. Jenson punted everyone out of his way - took all the punishment the FIA could throw at him and then
kicked everyones ass straight up. This does not happen a lot and when you see it you just have to give the utmost credit to this pilot who just plain and simple
kicked every ass in sight. Tribute that you got to witness it. I am just loving this performance - It was world class and that is why we love F1

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 09:34
Button was up the inside on the racing line, but Alonso was a fair way infront.

The point though is that Alonso knew Button was there by virtue of Button clearly getting ahead as they entered the braking zone, if he didn't, he needs to get is retinas checked for early onset of macular degeneration.

Mark
13th June 2011, 09:37
I didn't quite gather the reason Button was so fast. Was it because he was on newer tyres, or was able to preserve his tyres better or was just more capable in the conditions?

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 10:11
I didn't quite gather the reason Button was so fast. Was it because he was on newer tyres, or was able to preserve his tyres better or was just more capable in the conditions?

Didn't McLaren NOT bring a low downforce wing to this race, and had the car set up more in anticipation of a wet race? You'd assume that the tyres on the McLaren would spin less out of slow corners due to higher downforce?

Singulus
13th June 2011, 10:18
So, to recap: Jenson overtook the entire grid (how much cars were there when he was in the last place, 20?), maybe with his last pit he overtook 4-5 cars (on the optimistic side), so that leaves him with 15 cars overtaken *on the track* for an about 20-25 laps, am I right?

This was simply mind blowing, considering that his tires were basically in the same configuration as the ones in the top 6 cars.
The "sad" thing is that somehow, the pattern is obvious that Jenson wins like this in similar conditions (see last year's wins). Not that he doesn't have the outright speed from the front (Monaco 2011)...

Anyway, brilliant driving ... and win.

Mark
13th June 2011, 10:20
We all know Button is exceptional in these conditions, just remember his first win in Hungary.

CaptainRaiden
13th June 2011, 10:21
Brilliant handling of Lewis and Alonso. This amazing win took not only brains and brawn, but also the toughness of the number 4 Mclaren and an early birthday present from Vettel in the end. :up:

Ranger
13th June 2011, 10:22
We all know Button is exceptional in these conditions, just remember his first win in Hungary.

This was a much better win than his drive in Hungary.

pino
13th June 2011, 10:42
What a great performance by Jenson...wish Saint Devote still was here :p :

F1boat
13th June 2011, 10:43
This was his best career win, IMO.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th June 2011, 10:53

Button is always good wet/dry conditions.

Germany 2000 - came 4th and was the fastest man at the end of the race.
Hungary 2006 - wins
China GP 2007 - he was 5 seconds a lap faster than other drivers that pitted for dry tyres on the same lap
Australia, China 2010 - wins

Daniel
13th June 2011, 10:54

No you don't :D

pino
13th June 2011, 11:02
No you don't :D

Come on...just for one day :D

AndySpeed
13th June 2011, 11:03
The "sad" thing is that somehow, the pattern is obvious that Jenson wins like this in similar conditions (see last year's wins). Not that he doesn't have the outright speed from the front (Monaco 2011)...

He is and always has been a consistent driver, so I think that approach favours him in conditions such as these. However his run of form in recent races has also suggested that he does have the outright pace in the dry - his McLaren just needs the high-downforce set up for it to work it appears.

Daniel
13th June 2011, 11:06

No thanks :D

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 11:14

Cue sliding doors parting amid much applause and dry ice mist......

"Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be Saint Devote...."

:D

AndyL
13th June 2011, 11:50
Button is always good wet/dry conditions.

Germany 2000 - came 4th and was the fastest man at the end of the race.
Hungary 2006 - wins
China GP 2007 - he was 5 seconds a lap faster than other drivers that pitted for dry tyres on the same lap
Australia, China 2010 - wins

Malaysia 09 is another good example, in that race he made a big chunk of time over the cars behind him on the lap when it started to get wet and everyone pitted for wets.

52Paddy
13th June 2011, 20:27

I liked Saint Devote in the threads that I 'met' him. Would be nice to have him back.

Daniel
13th June 2011, 20:44
I liked Saint Devote in the threads that I 'met' him. Would be nice to have him back.

Are you drunk? The guy was like the Button information minister. I don't mind someone who is a fan of a particular driver, but I always felt that I was reading some sort of Button extremist propaganda when i saw his posts, it was the sort of stuff that would have made Jenson cringe I reckon. Goodbye and good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

aryan
14th June 2011, 06:39
Good point being made in this thread about button being exceptional in changable conditions. I think both of his wins in 2010 also came in similar circustances.

He might not have the outright pace of Hamilton, but he's a perfect pilot when it comes to reading track characteristcs, and his approach to tyre management is also totally unique. I think McLaren has the best 'complimentary' duo in their team.

Kevincal
14th June 2011, 08:43
I dunno, the way Jenson is acting about this race win just rubs me the wrong way... He squeezed Hamilton into the wall and wrecked Alonso, then it was pure luck that Vettel nearly spun on the last lap on worn tires. I don't know how he can feel like this was his best win... He did not dominate at all and was just lucky really.

Mark
14th June 2011, 08:53
Luck, ha, no :| . He pressured Vettel into making a mistake, that's not down to luck.

CNR
14th June 2011, 09:06
Luck, ha, no :| . He pressured Vettel into making a mistake, that's not down to luck.

did he or did Vettel get out of his way after he heard over the radio what he had done to lewis and aloso

555-04Q2
14th June 2011, 09:15
:laugh: good one thunderbolt :up:

<because lightning always comes before thunder>

Robinho
14th June 2011, 11:38
Are you drunk? The guy was like the Button information minister. I don't mind someone who is a fan of a particular driver, but I always felt that I was reading some sort of Button extremist propaganda when i saw his posts, it was the sort of stuff that would have made Jenson cringe I reckon. Goodbye and good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

I didn't like either, it made it very difficult for me as a Button fan to write anything positive or defend him when STD was making wild claims and proclaimations, it just made us all look bad as we were technically on the same side!

steveaki13
14th June 2011, 17:44
I didn't like either, it made it very difficult for me as a Button fan to write anything positive or defend him when STD was making wild claims and proclaimations, it just made us all look bad as we were technically on the same side!

Same here.

While I support every F1 driver and don't really mind who wins etc. I do keep a look out for Jenson, but after the claims St. D made at times, you felt strange being on the same side as him.

Oh well History now.

52Paddy
14th June 2011, 18:03

I should have added that I've only ever discussed topics in the nostalgia forum, where he was mostly cool headed. I'm sure in the heat of the action, whatever you say is true, but I guess I don't spend as much time on here as I used to, any more.

Garry Walker
14th June 2011, 21:06

You are no fun. He was very good to make fun of because you always knew that he gave you more than enough ammo.

bluegem280
15th June 2011, 07:33
Button is one of smoothest drivers, It sometimes involves some speculations driving with strategy unusual, change tyres faster or later, less or more than everyone. All that odds is possible because he is great at managing the tyres. Hence, the result can become unpredictable. He is a strong dark horse in drizzle, Canadian race is a result that justify it.

Daniel
15th June 2011, 11:11

Well I think most sane people knew that not all Button fans were like Sandy Bot. Where did Sandy Bot go? Not that I miss him or anything......

steveaki13
15th June 2011, 18:27
Not 100% sure, but I seem to remember him getting into an heated post arguement several times and he felt he was being picked on, and did actually post something along the lines of. "This is a stupid forum and I will never post here again" :eek:

Disproving the abduction by aliens. :p :

Robinho
15th June 2011, 21:09
the aliens would never have taken him back!!

SGWilko
15th June 2011, 21:15
the aliens would never have taken him back!!

Yeah, once bitten and all that.

Retro Formula 1
16th June 2011, 10:59
One of the landmark drives of the last 10 years. Superb drive.

Can nyone remember a driver making more overtakes in a race than that?

SGWilko
16th June 2011, 12:58

Kimi, several times in '05 after starting from the back.....?

Mia 01
16th June 2011, 17:49
Kimi, several times in '05 after starting from the back.....?
So true, and with no DRS and on a dry track.

raphael_2
20th June 2011, 14:43
Yea, great drive by Button, greatly helped by DRS. The DRS worked 'too well' in Canada, as you simply had to drive around then, rather than outbrake them going into the final chicane. I think it worked best in Malaysia. It will be interesting to see how well it works in Valencia, where overtaking is super difficult.

i_max2k2
20th June 2011, 21:20

Yep, Schumi 2006 Brazil, going from 10th to 5th? and then from last to 4th.

tfp
20th June 2011, 22:59
Me and a mate have just been discussing this race. Does anyone know if it has ever happened before canada, when someone has been running last, then eventually won the race?

AndyL
21st June 2011, 12:02
Kimi Raikkonen. Its mentioned a few posts above yours mate. :)

Was Kimi ever actually last at any point during Suzuka '05? He qualified 17th.

Robinho
21st June 2011, 12:41
i seem to remember Monza one year, when BAR were the 2nd best car but the Ferrari was awesome, about 2004 ish. IIRC Schumacher spun on the first lap or similar, not sure if he ended up last, but he then came back through the field to win. I'm sure someone will correct me ;)

Robinho
21st June 2011, 12:48
i seem to remember Monza one year, when BAR were the 2nd best car but the Ferrari was awesome, about 2004 ish. IIRC Schumacher spun on the first lap or similar, not sure if he ended up last, but he then came back through the field to win. I'm sure someone will correct me ;)

already proved myself wrong, MS started 2nd, spun, was 15th at the end of lap 1 and climbed back to 2nd

AndyL
21st June 2011, 15:26
Was Kimi ever actually last at any point during Suzuka '05? He qualified 17th.

Just found that Suzuka '05 is one of the earliest races available on VisionF1 :) Raikkonen started 17th (of 20), gained 4 places on the first lap, and only ever moved forward from there, so he was never last in that race.
Possibly he fell to the back in one of the other races in 2005, but for all his other wins he was qualified well inside the top 10 so I don't know which one it would be.

tfp
24th June 2011, 14:38
Just found that Suzuka '05 is one of the earliest races available on VisionF1 :) Raikkonen started 17th (of 20), gained 4 places on the first lap, and only ever moved forward from there, so he was never last in that race.
Possibly he fell to the back in one of the other races in 2005, but for all his other wins he was qualified well inside the top 10 so I don't know which one it would be.

I still havent found a race yet that someone has been in last position and went on to win the race....you never know, those of us who watched the canadian gp may have itnessed history in the making:-)

555-04Q2
24th June 2011, 14:47

Another great drive was The Shoe in his then last race at the 2006 Brazillian GP when he came from the back, passed the very same Kimi you mention and finished fourth.

raphael_2
24th June 2011, 16:55
Despite a great drive from Button, he is consistently slower than Lewis - this will always stop him from being considered one of the best.

Mia 01
24th June 2011, 20:12
Despite a great drive from Button, he is consistently slower than Lewis - this will always stop him from being considered one of the best.

You mean Senna, sorry hamlon, ofcourse he is faster than Jenson, all drivers moves out of his way, a straigt line between the start and the finish line. Thoose who donīt move, yes, they are out.

SGWilko
24th June 2011, 20:43
You mean Senna, sorry hamlon, ofcourse he is faster than Jenson, all drivers moves out of his way, a straigt line between the start and the finish line. Thoose who donīt move, yes, they are out.

I'm beginning to think your needle has stuck, and the same tune is being played over and over.....

steveaki13
24th June 2011, 23:12
Tis getting pretty boring now. :rolleyes:

raphael_2
25th June 2011, 10:34

I don't get it - I'm just stating the facts.

Mia 01
3rd August 2011, 22:49
Jenson is as good as Lewis

airshifter
4th August 2011, 02:41
Jenson is as good as Lewis

In equal cars he hasn't been able to beat Hamilton in points over a season. Nor for that matter could Alonso do it.

Just think of the point difference if Lewis could settle down and not do the silly things.

AndyL
4th August 2011, 10:59
I still havent found a race yet that someone has been in last position and went on to win the race....you never know, those of us who watched the canadian gp may have itnessed history in the making:-)

Thanks to Mia for exhuming this thread with another characteristically low-calorie comment... it reminded me that I found another possible candidate for this record. John Watson won the 1983 Long Beach Grand Prix after qualifying 22nd on a 26-car grid. I wasn't able to find a sufficiently detailed report of the race to determine whether he was actually last at any point though. Lauda climbed from 23rd on the grid to finish 2nd in the same race.

F1boat
5th August 2011, 07:49
Lewis could settle down and not do the silly things.

But can he? And if he can, wouldn't he lose some of his speed? For now, we can't know and to be honest, Jenson had some bad luck this year as well.

airshifter
5th August 2011, 12:31
But can he? And if he can, wouldn't he lose some of his speed? For now, we can't know and to be honest, Jenson had some bad luck this year as well.

Personally I think that is one of Hamiltons weaker points, not being able to back off at times and race with his head in it as much as his driving ability. Jenson on the other hand seems to be able to "settle" for a lesser position rather than make a bad move, and seems to drive with his head better. Jenson has also been very good at making the right call on tire strategy.

Retro Formula 1
5th August 2011, 12:38

I think Lewis has had to drive a bit past the limit of the car this year but has been consistently faster than Jenson. Saying that, Jenson has been really consistent and if he hadn't had some bad luck, would be leading the in-house battle.

They are without a doubt the strongest pairing in F1 and if McLaren can get on par with Red Bull (they aren't far off) then next year will be a Championship one I think.

Daniel
5th August 2011, 12:38
Personally I think that is one of Hamiltons weaker points, not being able to back off at times and race with his head in it as much as his driving ability. Jenson on the other hand seems to be able to "settle" for a lesser position rather than make a bad move, and seems to drive with his head better. Jenson has also been very good at making the right call on tire strategy.

Completely agree. It's those times when lewis could just settle for what he's got where he seems to lose out

Mia 01
8th August 2011, 20:02
They do this, Seb and Jenson, they are superior.

CaptainRaiden
8th August 2011, 20:49

Nice little imaginary world you've got there.

52Paddy
8th August 2011, 22:51

We really ought to go on a mad trip, just the two of us. I'll sort out the materials. You just be yourself. I'm sure I would see great things.

52Paddy
8th August 2011, 22:52
An acid trip obviously.

tfp
8th August 2011, 23:43
Is it just me that thinks jenson is a lot different from last year? Like,more aggressive?
I agree with the majority here, lewis is usually faster than bunson, but lacks the consistency to gather points. I think this seasons about to get a lot more interesting, with the teams developing their cars over the break.

steveaki13
9th August 2011, 20:55
I too think that the rest of this season should be wide open. Its just a shame for the season as a whole that its already pretty well wrapped up.

Mia 01
10th August 2011, 19:28
The record books are of no importance to Jenson but Iīm sure he wantīs to get even with Lewis. Sorry forgot, he is even.

Mia 01
12th August 2011, 22:54
8 race left, letīs see. Jenson will come out tops.

airshifter
13th August 2011, 18:33
I think with the current points Jenson has a shot at getting up to 2nd. That leaves 4 drivers fighting for that second spot, which if anything probably gives Vettel even more breathing room at the top. Jenson does IMO have a chance at beating Lewis in points, it's just a matter more controlled by Lewis as I see it. If Lewis keeps pushing for points too hard he can hand Jenson points.

vhatever
15th August 2011, 10:43
Button has definitely got the better of Hamilton this year thus far when consider non-driver's error related retirements.