PDA

View Full Version : Canadian driver of the race (so far)

donKey jote
12th June 2011, 19:39
errr... Bernd Maylander? :dozey:

Mark
12th June 2011, 19:40
Mader the tow truck.

steveaki13
The captain of that ship I saw earlier turned the vessel nicely

N4D13
Anyone who hasn't driven off the circuit nor made any pointless pitstops.

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 19:41
Mader the tow truck.

And him

donKey jote
12th June 2011, 19:44
Anyone who hasn't driven off the circuit nor made any pointless pitstops.

yep, and of both Saubers, PDLR for not getting his buttons wrong

Daniel
12th June 2011, 21:42
Schumacher so far.

Roamy
12th June 2011, 22:08
what a dumb post - what a dumb thread - who didn't see the race - Button is the MAN !!

donKey jote
12th June 2011, 22:10
has to be Button, despite his 2 lucky escapes :up: :D

UltimateDanGTR
12th June 2011, 22:11
Button-epic comeback, epic driving, epic end. and 6 pit stops to boot! incredible drive despite his skermishes with Fred and Lewi-G.

Robinho
12th June 2011, 22:12
6 stops, 2 crashes, one puncture, half a lap in the lead, race winner! JB for me

donKey jote
5 pit stops and a drive-through :crazy:

tfp
has to be Button, despite his 2 lucky escapes :up: :D

The mighty have fallen....Button looking good on top of the podium!

donKey jote
Lewi-G.
:laugh: :laugh:

DexDexter
12th June 2011, 22:16
Jenson. Special mention to Kobayashi and also one Michael Schumacher who drove the best race of his second career.

Koz
12th June 2011, 22:17
Mike! Mike! Mike!

truefan72
12th June 2011, 22:25
button

Ranger
12th June 2011, 22:27
I'll give it to Schumacher. :up: Brilliant today.

i_max2k2
12th June 2011, 22:27
Schumi & Button,

With the car schumi had, he is still the better contender.

gm99
12th June 2011, 22:28
I'd say Button if it wasn't for that crash with Alonso.
I'd say Vettel if it wasn't for that last-lap, uncharacteristic mistake that (might have?) cost him the win.

So I'll just go with Schumacher this time :p

woody2goody
12th June 2011, 23:05
A tie between Button and Schumacher with Alguersuari close behind after getting 8th starting from the pit lane :)

52Paddy
12th June 2011, 23:28
A lot of drivers were very impressive today: Kobayashi for holding off Massa a good deal, Di Resta for making hay before a rookie error, Vettel for leading as long as he did, Webber for his comeback after the spin and mid-race lull, Hispania for being the best finishers of the 'B' teams and Jaime for an 8th place finish after starting from the pit lane.

But the most impressive, for me as many others, were Schumacher and Button. Schumacher really showcased his ability today in difficult conditions and, while I take my hat off to him, my driver of the day has to go to Jenson. After all the wars he'd been through, the sheer amount of pitstops he had made and the fact that he just barely picked up the pack during one of the later safety cars (running last), he managed to drive back through the field and, not just get on the gearbox of Vettel in the closing stages, but PRESSURISE this, seemingly, bulletproof driver and force him into an error! Button: when he's good, he's great.

Cooper_S
12th June 2011, 23:29
This is not a poll so we all have our own view which is correct for us...

For me it is between Button and Schumacher, Jenson won the race so I shall award this accolade to Michael.

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 23:32
Tough one today.

Firstly people who did a good job.

Jenson Button: A fine comeback to win the race.
Sebastian Vettel: I know most will think it strange, but for that last tiny error drove brilliantly after each restart.
Schumacher: A fine drive. In a fair battle would have had a podium.
Petrov: A clean race to score good points.
Alguersuari: Under pressure came from the pits to score points.
Liuzzi & Karthikeyan: The Hispania's did really well, used SC to keep close to the Lotus and Virgins and out did the Virgins and Trulli to finish 13th and 14th. Good effort.

Secondly The Verdict.

Button made a few mistakes and was lucky with SC all the time.
Vettel made the vital error

So it leaves my Driver of the day as....

Michael Schumacher

The Black Knight
12th June 2011, 23:35
A lot of drivers were very impressive today: Kobayashi for holding off Massa a good deal, Di Resta for making hay before a rookie error, Vettel for leading as long as he did, Webber for his comeback after the spin and mid-race lull, Hispania for being the best finishers of the 'B' teams and Jaime for an 8th place finish after starting from the pit lane.

But the most impressive, for me as many others, were Schumacher and Button. Schumacher really showcased his ability today in difficult conditions and, while I take my hat off to him, my driver of the day has to go to Jenson. After all the wars he'd been through, the sheer amount of pitstops he had made and the fact that he just barely picked up the pack during one of the later safety cars (running last), he managed to drive back through the field and, not just get on the gearbox of Vettel in the closing stages, but PRESSURISE this, seemingly, bulletproof driver and force him into an error! Button: when he's good, he's great.

I disagree. A fine drive by Jenson but if it wasn't for all the safety cars he would not have ended up winning the race. Schumacher drove like he stole it all day and was far more consistent and didn't get involved in any incidents. It was a true champions drive. Taking into account that his car is nowhere near the performance of Buttons or Webbers, then he has to get driver of the day, he thoroughly deserves it.

markabilly
12th June 2011, 23:36
Tough one today.

Firstly people who did a good job.

Jenson Button: A fine comeback to win the race.
Sebastian Vettel: I know most will think it strange, but for that last tiny error drove brilliantly after each restart.
Schumacher: A fine drive. In a fair battle would have had a podium.
Petrov: A clean race to score good points.
Alguersuari: Under pressure came from the pits to score points.
Liuzzi & Karthikeyan: The Hispania's did really well, used SC to keep close to the Lotus and Virgins and out did the Virgins and Trulli to finish 13th and 14th. Good effort.

Secondly The Verdict.

Button made a few mistakes and was lucky with SC all the time.
Vettel made the vital error

So it leaves my Driver of the day as....

Michael Schumacher

BEST post so far. Might not be much to praise about Button, if the stewards drop some time penalty on him.

Mister Mike aka Schuie aka old man.....

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 23:50
I disagree. A fine drive by Jenson but if it wasn't for all the safety cars he would not have ended up winning the race. Schumacher drove like he stole it all day and was far more consistent and didn't get involved in any incidents. It was a true champions drive. Taking into account that his car is nowhere near the performance of Buttons or Webbers, then he has to get driver of the day, he thoroughly deserves it.

Yep

52Paddy
13th June 2011, 00:06

I can see completely why someone would pick Mick for driver of the day but I stand by what I said. He still wrung the neck off that McLaren in the closing stages.

AndyL
13th June 2011, 01:00

In a way Vettel's last few laps impressed me more than most of his other work this season, despite the mistake. It's the first time he's found himself at a disadvantage on pace. You could see how hard he was pushing the car, he matched Button's times on a few sectors and almost held on until he pushed it that bit too far (and even then did well to recover).

Anubis
13th June 2011, 01:26
Button may have lucked out with the safety cars, but his speed towards the end of the race was fantastic, and a nice follow up to how well he drove in Monaco, where the safety car worked against him. Finally found a chink of Vettel's armour. I think Schumacher deserves a great deal of praise as well, as that's by far his best drive since his comeback and really rolled back the years. But for DRS, I think he'd have made the podium. Indeed, I was almost a little sad he didn't in some ways. Bonus mentions for Kobayashi and his awesome drifting effort in qualifying. Final mention for De La Rosa as well, as he had a solid race considering the circumstances.

aryan
13th June 2011, 04:51
Driver of the race has to go to button. That was the most sensational race win I've ever seen. Beats Suzuka 2005 for me.

Honourable mention to Schumacher, Webber, Petrov, Alguersuari, Kobayashi and Barichello who were all brilliant today.

555-04Q2
13th June 2011, 06:15
The winner.

Mia 01
13th June 2011, 07:36
Jenson Button! The best race of him, ever. Clearly the best driver in the MacLaren team, the one you can trust, no red mist there!

MS is the second best this time, glimses of the old fox this race.

Seb, a very good race, you canīt win em all!

F1boat
13th June 2011, 07:40
I have to say Jenson. If this isn't an epic win, I don't know what is.

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 08:39
Button and Schumacher for me. Schuey had the best race since his comeback and held off a number of attacking drivers with the skill of old. I did think he was lucky to escape punishment after his second move on Lewis in the braking zone but what the hell. He had a great race IMO. Button had two clashes during the race, the first with Lewis but I feel it was an accident and neither driver was to blame entirely. In the dry Lewis would have pulled that move off as has been seen mainy times, but with the mounting spray Button juts couldn't see him. It Happens, a pure racing incident. His second move on Alonso was around 50/50 with Jenson gaining the inside line and being committed to the pass. Alonso was put in a position where he either braked hard or go across the grass but being the hard racer he is, he kept his line. Unfortunately it took him out of the race.

Jenson's pace in the last 10 laps was simply amazing and he applied enough pressure with his lap times and catching Vettel by 1.5 secs per lap that it forced Seb into a mistake. I know when Lewis has messed up on the last lap many have accused him of choking, but I simply think this was experience over talent here and Jenson kept his head and avoided mistakes. An exciting race all round... :up: :)

I agree with this post but I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t give this to Schumacher. He is the only driver out there that absolutely drove the socks off the car throughout the entire race. Even going over the line on the last lap he was up the rear of Webber. This guy is in a car that, under normal conditions, should be about a second a lap slower than the RBRs and the McLarens and he dragged it up to second from 12th. We saw a master at work yesterday. While Button and Webber were busy keeping the car off the kerbs into the chicane before the wall of Champions, Schumacher was monstering the car over the kerbs trying to eek out every single tenth advantage he could. His car was very weak under braking and were it not for DRS he would have finished second with a fine and very much deserved podium. Lets face it, I doubt Webber or Button would have got past him if it wasn’t for DRS, which should be banned next year, in my opinion. Yesterday, he was perfect the entire race apart from a little moment at turn 8 and I haven’t seen footage of what happened there. Button had a car which enabled him to pressure Vettel. You could clearly see the McLaren was the best car on the grid in the drying track yesterday because of the wet set up they went for. This is to take nothing away from Button, he was amazing, but Schumacher rolled back the years and showed why he is a 7 time WDC. To receive that mantle of driver of the race you have to drive the best race and Schumacher drove the best race of everyone yesterday. If he had Buttons car he would have blitzed the field. At the age of 42 he showed us why he is one of the all time greats and was a pleasure to watch for the entire grand prix. He deserves driver of the race.

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 08:48
I can see completely why someone would pick Mick for driver of the day but I stand by what I said. He still wrung the neck off that McLaren in the closing stages.

Do you think so yeah? To me it looked like he simply had a far more stable car than Sebastien at that point in the race and as if the McLaren was just handling beautifully. This was extremely evident when watching Seb on the ragged edge and Button simply coasting through, no slides and very good traction throughout the corner. Great drive but not driver of the race.

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 10:05
Mister Mike aka Schuie aka old man.....

The old boy has found his mojo at last.

CaptainRaiden
13th June 2011, 10:12
Canadian driver of the race (so far)

There is no Canadian driver in F1 right now, so my vote, no one. :D

CaptainRaiden
13th June 2011, 10:17
Driver of the Canadian GP ( :p ), no one really stood out, but I'll give it to Button for methodically taking out two of his main rivals and then winning the race. Luckily Vettel took himself out with a monumental driving fail, and so it meant Button didn't need to take out the Red Bull. Masterful race "craft" from Button.

pino
13th June 2011, 10:28
Button followed by Michael :up:

AndyL
13th June 2011, 11:14
Do you think so yeah? To me it looked like he simply had a far more stable car than Sebastien at that point in the race and as if the McLaren was just handling beautifully. This was extremely evident when watching Seb on the ragged edge and Button simply coasting through, no slides and very good traction throughout the corner. Great drive but not driver of the race.

We've seen before that Button is exceptional on a drying track (his first win for example), I don't think it's all down to the car.

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 11:17
We've seen before that Button is exceptional on a drying track (his first win for example), I don't think it's all down to the car.

I agree and that's why he deserves a mention in the hunt for driver of the race but Schumacher was the most consistent and impressive with what he had.

Zico
13th June 2011, 11:33
Its got to be Button, one of the best drives I've seen in recent years. I'd almost forgotten how good he can be.

Closely followed by Michael, I was really disapointed for him that he missed out on the final podium place, he fully deserved it.

wedge
13th June 2011, 15:17
Button

Just what is it with inters and drying tracks where he has excelled?

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 15:44
Button

I think people are getting a little carried away with it honestly. He had a super car yesterday that was well balance and although he drove fantastically it made him look better than what he was. Still in the top 2 drives of the day though.

Daniel
13th June 2011, 15:46
I think people are getting a little carried away with it honestly. He had a super car yesterday that was well balance and although he drove fantastically it made him look better than what he was. Still in the top 2 drives of the day though.

Is it cos he's not black?

555-04Q2
13th June 2011, 15:49
Its pronounced, "isit cause e aint black" :p :

Daniel
13th June 2011, 16:13
Its pronounced, "isit cause e aint black" :p :

Or if it's an American playing a Sarf Efrican in Lethal Weapon...... bit bit bit.... bit he's bleck!

i_max2k2
13th June 2011, 17:42
http://www.motorsportforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by wedge http://www.motorsportforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/145977-canadian-driver-race-so-far-3.html#post932496)
Button

If lewis would have finished the race, we could have gauged Buttons performance better, but Nico did finish 11th or 12th.

Garry Walker
13th June 2011, 18:46
Schumacher, also Button despite his minderror when taking off Hamilton

52Paddy
13th June 2011, 20:47
I think people are getting a little carried away with it honestly. He had a super car yesterday that was well balance and although he drove fantastically it made him look better than what he was.

His car was set up beautifully, agreed. But, in my opinion, this does not take away from the fact that he overtook so many cars ON THE TRACK during the race and pressured Vettel enough to send him into a mistake (very hard to do). Yes, DRS helped him, but he also pulled out miles on Webber when both got by Schumacher (and, remember, he'd been running behind BOTH of them in the closing laps and had a very considerable deficit to Vettel). A good car will aid the race winning cause but Button did 99% of that work himself in the midst of 5 pitstops and a drive-thru. You still haven't convinced me an inkling dude :)

steveaki13
14th June 2011, 00:07
Schumi was my choice and I stand by that. What a race he drove.

Button also drove supremley to take advantage of his SC gains.

The Black Knight
14th June 2011, 08:32
His car was set up beautifully, agreed. But, in my opinion, this does not take away from the fact that he overtook so many cars ON THE TRACK during the race and pressured Vettel enough to send him into a mistake (very hard to do). Yes, DRS helped him, but he also pulled out miles on Webber when both got by Schumacher (and, remember, he'd been running behind BOTH of them in the closing laps and had a very considerable deficit to Vettel). A good car will aid the race winning cause but Button did 99% of that work himself in the midst of 5 pitstops and a drive-thru. You still haven't convinced me an inkling dude :)

No hassle man, you're entitled to your opinion. All we're doing is throwing ours back and forth in the end, it's not like what we say on here actually makes a difference :)

I find it strange that people accuse Vettel of cracking under pressure from Button really. Vettel totally had the situation under control and made a slight mistake. To say that he cracked is a bit much, in my opinion. He also made a mistake in FP1 hitting the Wall of Champions, that doesn't mean he cracked.

It was a superlative drive by Button. I went back and watched the race again last night and I must say that the hand of the Gods were on McLaren on Sunday to win that race because they did everything in their power to lose it - 5 pit stops, Button gets a driver through for speeding under safety car. Great drive in the last few laps but incredible amount of luck as well due to safety cars, one which he caused with Alonso.

Schumacher thoroughly deserves drive of the race with Button a close second.

The Black Knight
14th June 2011, 09:27
Schumi was my choice and I stand by that. What a race he drove.

Button also drove supremley to take advantage of his SC gains.

Agreed. Unfortunately there are a lot of people unable to look past the race leader for winner because an exciting last ten and are not giving the great German his due credit for driving the ass off the car for the entire race before that.

Driver of the race, for me, should always go to the person that drove best not the person that drove very well, happened to have a car that suited the conditions and won because fortune played in his favour despite doing everything they could to lose the race in the process. Schumacher drove the best of anyone on Sunday. Apart from a minor skirmish at turn 8, no camera footage of it though so not sure what happened, he didn't put a foot wrong all day and absolutely wrung the neck off his Mercedes. Amazing stuff from the 7 time WDC.

steveaki13
14th June 2011, 17:38
Agreed. Unfortunately there are a lot of people unable to look past the race leader for winner because an exciting last ten and are not giving the great German his due credit for driving the ass off the car for the entire race before that.

Driver of the race, for me, should always go to the person that drove best not the person that drove very well, happened to have a car that suited the conditions and won because fortune played in his favour despite doing everything they could to lose the race in the process. Schumacher drove the best of anyone on Sunday. Apart from a minor skirmish at turn 8, no camera footage of it though so not sure what happened, he didn't put a foot wrong all day and absolutely wrung the neck off his Mercedes. Amazing stuff from the 7 time WDC.

I'm open to anyone being commended.

I think the two Hispania's done a great job. Finishing 13th and 14th ahead of both Virgins and Trulli, yet no one picked up on it.

52Paddy
14th June 2011, 17:56

I take my hat off to Schumacher's performance by all means. He did drive supremely. I base my "driver of the day" choice not just on his final few laps but on how he dealt with the enormous draw backs he had to contend with and the overtaking he did throughout the race. Anyway, I'm tired of going round in circle. Fancy a pint? :beer: