PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1/NASCAR seat swap

airshifter
12th June 2011, 05:49
Just a reminder to everyone, on June 14 Lewis Hamilton and Tony Stewart will swap cars for some laps at Watkins Glen. It looks like they will be using the entire classic F1 circuit from days gone by.

This should make for some good viewing. In 2004 Montoya and Jeff Gordon switched cars at Indy and the input from both was very interesting. Montoya has already warned Tony Stewart to work on his neck as much as possible before the event.

From the SpeedTV link:

“Well, after listening to Juan (Pablo Montoya), who said my neck is going to be falling out of the thing after three laps anyway … so it is probably in my best interest that they are limiting the number of laps we can run .”

**disclaimer** the below link has other information on the NASCAR Hall of Fame day activities, and is not about only the seat swap

AUTO RACING - CUP: Live Coverage From June 14 NASCAR HOF Vote Day Highlights Next 'Big Day’ On SPEED™ (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/cup-live-coverage-from-june-14-nascar-hof-vote-day-highlights-next-big-day-/)

It's good to see that they also pick NASCAR drivers who are the better road course type drivers for these events. And those of you in the UK should watch out... Montoyas first taste of NASCAR eventually led to him switching to NASCAR. :s mokin:

I'm not sure of any coverage in other areas, but SpeedTV will be airing the event on tuesday the 14th at 8pm eastern time.

If any moderators see this, I would appreciate if it was cross linked to the NASCAR forum. I couldn't figure out how to do it myself! :laugh:

wedge
12th June 2011, 23:04
This should make for some good viewing.

Oh yes!

Will Smoke fit inside an F1 car? Place your bets now!

gm99
12th June 2011, 23:16
Maybe Stewart can pass Hamilton the contact details of his anger management therapist - seems to have worked quite well for Smoke, now it's time to instill some patience into Lewis :p

Lee Roy
13th June 2011, 20:38
Oh yes!

Will Smoke fit inside an F1 car? Place your bets now!

You'll never be in one.

call_me_andrew
15th June 2011, 03:06
It was interesting comparing Hamilton's first time in a stock car to Montoya's. I remember Montoya overshot turn 1 on his first hot lap and got less agressive until he found a comfortable pace, while as Hamilton started off slow and became more agressive on each lap.

I did not expect Hamilton to beat Stewart's time in a stock car by 5 seconds. I did not expect Stewart to beat Hamilton's time in an F1 car by 7 seconds. In both cases, the drying track probably helped.

Jared East
15th June 2011, 05:29
Man did it look good seeing an F1 car going around the Glen ! Really like LH excitement over the Stock Car he seemed happier than Tony. I really would like to see him at Eldora next year.

ArrowsFA1
15th June 2011, 09:30
Hc6rmTSVQ1I

555-04Q2
15th June 2011, 11:50
Montoyas first taste of NASCAR eventually led to him switching to NASCAR.

Made sense. He was THE fat bloke in F1 then he was THE thin bloke at NASCAR :laugh: :s mokin:

Chris R
15th June 2011, 11:56
Man did it look good seeing an F1 car going around the Glen ! Really like LH excitement over the Stock Car he seemed happier than Tony. I really would like to see him at Eldora next year.

I think Lewis seemed happier but Tony seemed to be more in shock/awe... Either way, the whole thing was cool......

555-04Q2
15th June 2011, 12:53
"Driving an F1 car is a complete assault on all the senses". Richard Hammond after driving Alonso's Renault F1 car.

wedge
15th June 2011, 14:09
That was really cool

Lewis was really enjoying the slipping and sliding. As ever, seeing a stock being driven on the limit like that makes me want to see more road courses in Cup.

KsrYLNRn-MY

Edit - I'd love to see Hamilton race at Eldora

Andrewmcm
15th June 2011, 14:38
Let's hope Lewis fancies a run at NASCAR after his F1 career. He does seem to be a believer in the "rubbin's racin'" mentality so NASCAR may suit him well.

Shifter
16th June 2011, 02:14
Seeing the F1 car go around was all about history for me, it looked fantastic and I was envisioning a full grid in my mind's eye. Gotta say though, watching Lewis in the cup car was tons of fun. Some people slam NASCAR for being low-tech and think they look all wrong on road courses, but I think they're fantastic because of the emphasis on the driver...Cup cars, GT1 cars and other big-bore cars just look so wonderfully violent on road courses.

airshifter
16th June 2011, 03:00
Good show. It looked like both of them really had some fun and got to explore the other drivers cars fairly well. With the way the track was drying out, it made for some decent laps out of both of them.

But I still wonder if they had to modify the seat of the McLaren so Stewart could fit in it. :)

bluegem280
16th June 2011, 03:50
More than likely they would struggle in the championship brand new. I think better they stick with their own in the current championship where they well get acquainted with, or seat swap can be in place only in the 'unofficial' championship, performs as test driver or during free practice, or drive as replacement driver in case any of them is in absentia, ala Perez who was off in Canada GP and give it a try for De la Rosa..

nigelred5
16th June 2011, 17:15
Seeing a modern F1 car at speed at the Glen was a thing of beauty! What an unfortunate reminder how much of a travesty is it the USGP isn't still held there. At least I still have the childhood memories of the races in the 70's. I can still to this day remember the sound of the Ferrari's over all the other engines on the grid..... Sigh.....

call_me_andrew
17th June 2011, 02:15
But I still wonder if they had to modify the seat of the McLaren so Stewart could fit in it. :)

Driver seats are always custom fit.

Arjuna
17th June 2011, 07:35
Yeah, it is said the crew have the seat and belt adjusted in order to fit them.

The car swap I think was held more for exhibition, both drivers feel privileged and were in complementary of the other's car. This could be a breakthrough to keep Lewis performance in F1 remains steady as his successful season of his victory in 2008. Drivers had joke exchange, when Lewis said a chance to come over to Nascar, Stewart said his interest to hire him. Both drivers had big smiling face at the end. :)

nigelred5
17th June 2011, 14:53
yeah, it was totally an exibition, there's no worry or plans for anything to come of it. It was popular when gordon and Monoya did it @ indy, and it was able to happen with F1 @ Montreal and Grand AM @ the Glen.

call_me_andrew
18th June 2011, 03:28
It occours to me that since the Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen is during the August break, Lewis would be available.

And Tony's race at Eldora is the same week Lewis would be in North America next year.

0dz70wOHim4&feature=related