PDA

View Full Version : Canada GP & 2 DRS Zones

truefan72
7th June 2011, 19:19
So where are the 2 DRS zones going to be?

I guess one is no the back straight, but I'm not sure where the other will be.

This should certainly make for an interesting race and maybe,just maybe, see Rosberg finally break the duck

It certainly is set up for an adventurous race with the 2 zones and tyres, but strategy will take center stage here,
...which thankfully isn't RBR's strong suit

Mark
7th June 2011, 19:33
So where are the 2 DRS zones going to be?

I guess one is no the back straight, but I'm not sure where the other will be.

This should certainly make for an interesting race and maybe,just maybe, see Rosberg finally break the duck

It certainly is set up for an adventurous race with the 2 zones and tyres, but strategy will take center stage here,
...which thankfully isn't RBR's strong suit

Perhaps on the Start-Finish straight?

Robinho
7th June 2011, 19:53
yep, back straight and the start finish straight, but i believe there is only one detection zone, rather than one for each

gloomyDAY
7th June 2011, 20:12
I don't know whether it is the fact that the DRS is still around or the fact that I'm about to take a final exam I'm not fully prepared for (I can't cram anymore!), but I suddenly feel nauseous after reading this thread.

Big Ben
7th June 2011, 21:30
This would satisfy me. The green is zone 1 and the blue is zone 2. Anything different is just stupid. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo I didnīt have time to play much with it.

truefan72
7th June 2011, 23:30
yep, back straight and the start finish straight, but i believe there is only one detection zone, rather than one for each

thanks, for clarification.
very interesting

Garry Walker
8th June 2011, 21:36
Having DRS is stupid, having 2 zones for it, well, the mind boggles. You could get someone with a down`s syndrome to make decisions and those would probably contain more intellectual matter than this one.

555-04Q2
9th June 2011, 07:08
Dumb Racing Solution in 2 places for Canada? Next they will be attaching pregnant cows to the cars as weight penalties for the fastest cars.

DRS must p!$$ off!

ArrowsFA1
9th June 2011, 10:40
DRS must p!$$ off!
:up:

Given that DRS is being evaluated & tweaked as the season goes on, how about trying a race without it rather than upping the number of "zones", or let drivers decide when to use it without any restrictions.

As things are it seems as though the rules are telling drivers where and when they should attempt an overtake.

Mark
9th June 2011, 11:03
As things are it seems as though the rules are telling drivers where and when they should attempt an overtake.

Possibly, however we have seen overtaking outside of the DRS zones this season. Possibly aided by DRS on the previous corners.

555-04Q2
9th June 2011, 12:11
Possibly, however we have seen overtaking outside of the DRS zones this season. Possibly aided by DRS on the previous corners.

No, one word.

Pirelli.

555-04Q2
9th June 2011, 12:13

100% agree :up:

Dumb Racing Solution is so artificial it makes me want to puke :(

airshifter
10th June 2011, 04:08
DRS is doing nothing other than provide a reduction in drag, similar to the F-Duct. Being a lot of cars didn't have the F-Duct, or one that worked as well, I don't think DRS is having much effect on the races overall. It seems the last few races DRS has aided very few passes at all, yet the tires had great effect on passes.

I just don't understand why DRS gets completely slagged off, yet KERS and the tires are just as "artificial", not to mention some cars being simply superior in design, yet everyone just seems to accept those factors and target the DRS as a bad thing.

truefan72
10th June 2011, 05:23
DRS is doing nothing other than provide a reduction in drag, similar to the F-Duct. Being a lot of cars didn't have the F-Duct, or one that worked as well, I don't think DRS is having much effect on the races overall. It seems the last few races DRS has aided very few passes at all, yet the tires had great effect on passes.

I just don't understand why DRS gets completely slagged off, yet KERS and the tires are just as "artificial", not to mention some cars being simply superior in design, yet everyone just seems to accept those factors and target the DRS as a bad thing.

agreed

555-04Q2
10th June 2011, 06:06

KERS is a very relevant piece of technology that will be applied to road cars. DRS is not. KERS can be used at the drivers discretion. DRS cannot. Kers is a clever peace of engineering. DRS is not. KERS can be used by the front and chasing driver. DRS cannot (unless another car is in front of the car being chased). etc etc etc. Real race fans don't want to watch a car breezing past another without any effort required. We want wheel to wheel racing in slow corners, medium corners, fast corners and straights.

As for the tyres, I agree that having two compounds that have to be used in a race is ridiculous, teams should be able to choose what compound they want to run. But Pirelli have come to the part in a big way and the racing is the best I have seen for over 20 years.

Once again, get rid of the Dumb Racing Solution.

<puke>

555-04Q2
10th June 2011, 06:30
Anyone else looking forward to another great Canadian GP? I for one cannot wait for it to start :) Gonna be a corker!

555-04Q2
10th June 2011, 11:04
Where is everyone today??????

SGWilko
10th June 2011, 11:56
Where is everyone today??????

Who is this everyone people keep referring too???

Big Ben
10th June 2011, 12:01
work

I am one of those who find F1 a lot less interesting with the DRS. It's true the show's better but I can find better shows on tv to watch.

AndyL
10th June 2011, 13:15

The reason DRS is "artificial" isn't really the technology, it's the way it's applied: the fact that one driver is allowed to use it while another is not. It's like success ballast, an artificial means of handicapping the guy who's ahead.
With KERS and the tyres, they are at least a level playing field; everyone's working to the same rules all the time, they give everyone the same opportunity.

I agree the DRS isn't having a great deal of effect in most races. I don't think we'd miss it.

555-04Q2
10th June 2011, 14:11
Who is this everyone people keep referring too???

People like you :p :

555-04Q2
10th June 2011, 14:11
The reason DRS is "artificial" isn't really the technology, it's the way it's applied: the fact that one driver is allowed to use it while another is not. It's like success ballast, an artificial means of handicapping the guy who's ahead.
With KERS and the tyres, they are at least a level playing field; everyone's working to the same rules all the time, they give everyone the same opportunity.

I agree the DRS isn't having a great deal of effect in most races. I don't think we'd miss it.

Great post :up:

schmenke
10th June 2011, 17:29
work

I am one of those who find F1 a lot less interesting with the DRS. ...

Ditto. Yes, perhaps it has contributed to more overtaking, but the excitment is tempered with the realization that it's artificially created :mark:

airshifter
12th June 2011, 06:24
KERS is a very relevant piece of technology that will be applied to road cars. DRS is not. KERS can be used at the drivers discretion. DRS cannot. Kers is a clever peace of engineering. DRS is not. KERS can be used by the front and chasing driver. DRS cannot (unless another car is in front of the car being chased). etc etc etc. Real race fans don't want to watch a car breezing past another without any effort required. We want wheel to wheel racing in slow corners, medium corners, fast corners and straights.

As for the tyres, I agree that having two compounds that have to be used in a race is ridiculous, teams should be able to choose what compound they want to run. But Pirelli have come to the part in a big way and the racing is the best I have seen for over 20 years.

Once again, get rid of the Dumb Racing Solution.

<puke>

I can understand the DRS only being used by the trailing car being a point of contention. I would prefer that it was used at will if it exists. I just think the KERS, tires regs, weight placement regs, etc, etc have all led to a lot more bias in the field and passes than DRS ever will.

As for KERS being relevant technology applied to road cars, I really can't agree there. Hybrid tech was sold for years before KERS went into F1 cars. To top that off F1 has taken the hybrid angle and used it in a way that they overcharge the system, and as such most teams throw away the battery between races. Not something I can see happening in the consumer market.

A form of DRS is now sold on at least one car in the consumer market. Though the intention is to reduce drag and improve MPG, it's actually a technology that would work on the street.

ioan
12th June 2011, 22:33
2 drs zones with only one detection zone? The perfect solution for bad overtakers!

Daniel
12th June 2011, 22:38
Double DRS with a single detection zone ruined that race for me.

The Black Knight
12th June 2011, 22:40

Same here and I honestly believe it cost Schumacher a podium. DRS should be done away with. It's not needed this year.

ioan
12th June 2011, 22:42

Drs on it's own is ruining racing in F1, double drs it's making it worse!

Daniel
12th June 2011, 22:43
Same here and I honestly believe it cost Schumacher a podium. DRS should be done away with. It's not needed this year.

I don't mind it as long as the overtaker doesn't get a double boost.

ioan
12th June 2011, 22:43

You kidding me? Triple Drs zone is the way to go, "for sure"!

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2011, 22:44
DRS was stupid here. The first zone allows the overtake, the second zone prevents the driver who has just been past from fighting back. The FIA hates racing.

Koz
12th June 2011, 22:45

Yep, same here.

Ranger
12th June 2011, 22:46

Don't give them ideas please!

truefan72
12th June 2011, 23:11

but "your boy" massa used it to take 7th in the race right at the line
ok so you think he did not deserve that spot right?

Daniel
12th June 2011, 23:15

and your boy crashed into his team mate before DRS was even activated.....

ioan
12th June 2011, 23:17

I think he took 6th. And he's not my boy.
And this is no reason to keep drs.

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 23:17
As many have said, DRS ruined an epic battle.

I know Vettel would have won with no DRS as Button and Webber would have been held up longer, but Schumacher through no fault of his own, was robbed of a deserved podium.

What an epic defensive drive we would have seen without the DRS. Michael drove a brilliant race and ended up watching as faster cars got a double boost and breezed past on the straight.

As before this season DRS robbed us of a great battle.

Someone on TV said "This is great entertainment" and I thought "it may be great entertainment, but its not great racing and also its not fair"

DRS needs to be restricted either to one straight and hopefully removed altogether.

Schumachers drive was great and should have finished 2nd, but instead of an epic battle and seeing a driver score a fine podium, we see two people press a Button and swoosh past him.

:down: to DRS

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 23:19
Also Kobayashi lost his 6th unfairly. I know he had a poor run out of the chicane by he was fast enough to keep 6th, but for the magic button.

555-04Q2
13th June 2011, 06:21
Dumb Racing Solution was once again exposed for the fake it is :down:

It was shocking to see the aerial shots of how easy (and how much bl@@dy faster the car behind is) it was for the car behind to breeze past even with a wet line into the braking zone :crazy:

What the **** (****@k)* are the they thinking? Get rid of it already :down:

AndyRAC
13th June 2011, 13:16
Dumb Racing Solution was once again exposed for the fake it is :down:

It was shocking to see the aerial shots of how easy (and how much bl@@dy faster the car behind is) it was for the car behind to breeze past even with a wet line into the braking zone :crazy:

What the ***** (*****@k) are the they thinking? Get rid of it already :down:

Yeah, the overhead shots made it look like cartoon/movie/film racing - coming from miles back and breezing by.......
This is meant to be F1......

ioan
13th June 2011, 13:22
Yeah, the overhead shots made it look like cartoon/movie/film racing - coming from miles back and breezing by.......
This is meant to be F1......

This is F1 for the masses.
Want to see real racing with real men as drivers, ducking it out for 24 hours? Watch the real racing series like Le Mans/ILMC/ALMS/LMS, forget Fancy1.

Ranger
13th June 2011, 13:47
All they have to do is disable it and everything is fixed.

If only.

Bagwan
13th June 2011, 14:07
They banned them in the tunnel , because it was too dangerous .
They banned them in the wet , because it was too dangerous .

Now , they are getting dangerously close to having many die-hard fans leave .
I hated seeing Michael's epic drive to second leaving him "sitting ducked" to fourth .

Isn't that enough to ban them altogether ?

Daniel
13th June 2011, 14:18

I hated seeing Michael's epic drive to second leaving him "sitting ducked" to fourth .

My only problem in Canada was the double DRS with 1 detection line.

They passed Schumacher which was fair enough, but then after they'd passed him there was another boost zone which was just silly......

AndyRAC
13th June 2011, 14:55
This is F1 for the masses.
Want to see real racing with real men as drivers, ducking it out for 24 hours? Watch the real racing series like Le Mans/ILMC/ALMS/LMS, forget Fancy1.

I already do....a pity more don't.

ioan
13th June 2011, 16:04
I already do....a pity more don't.

Those who have something between the ears do. The rest, who cares?!

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 16:09

Agreed. DRS Should be banned and banned for good.

ioan
13th June 2011, 16:17
Agreed. DRS Should be banned and banned for good.

Well, instead of banning it they threw away the proposed 2013 aero rules and kept DRS. How about that?! :\

Whyzars
13th June 2011, 17:04
Well, instead of banning it they threw away the proposed 2013 aero rules and kept DRS. How about that?! :\

Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid. If Schumacher being passed like his foot was on the brake was not enough evidence to disable the DRS permanently I don't know what is.

Canada 2011 could've been epic. Instead it was peptic.

ioan
13th June 2011, 17:07
Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid. If Schumacher being passed like his foot was on the brake was not enough evidence to disable the DRS permanently I don't know what is.

Canada 2011 could've been epic. Instead it was peptic.

Don't get you hopes up, F1 will only get worse in a stupid attempt to produce more show than it is needed to entertain the masses.
Watch endurance racing, it's so much better.

Bagwan
13th June 2011, 18:26
My only problem in Canada was the double DRS with 1 detection line.

They passed Schumacher which was fair enough, but then after they'd passed him there was another boost zone which was just silly......
" They passed Schumacher which was fair enough ,..."

Just what , exactly , is fair about forcing a driver to defend against a driver that has a speed advantage , by virtue of being close enough at a specific point on the track ?

Garry Walker
13th June 2011, 18:44
DRS is such a stupid invention that I really get angry whenever I think of it. I really hope the person who thought of DRS will get Montezuma`s revenge for 2 months.

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 19:17

Just what , exactly , is fair about forcing a driver to defend against a driver that has a speed advantage , by virtue of being close enough at a specific point on the track ?

Yeah, I really don't get Daniels logic here. "They passed Schumacher which was fair enough" was not at all fair enough. He was a sitting duck after driving his heart out in that car. It was a severe injustice and DRS needs to be done away with. It doesn't add excitement to the races is only ups the overtake stats and makes them boring. But most importantly it is unfair on people like Schuey who had earned the right through sheer grit and determindation throughout the race to defend their position on a level playing field.

Bagwan
13th June 2011, 19:25
Yeah, I really don't get Daniels logic here. "They passed Schumacher which was fair enough" was not at all fair enough. He was a sitting duck after driving his heart out in that car. It was a severe injustice and DRS needs to be done away with. It doesn't add excitement to the races is only ups the overtake stats and makes them boring. But most importantly it is unfair on people like Schuey who had earned the right through sheer grit and determindation throughout the race to defend their position on a level playing field.

I would have less issue with this system if it was available to all , all the time .

As it is , it is completely frustrating .
Have we had any comment after that race from the shoe ?

ioan
13th June 2011, 22:09
DRS is such a stupid invention that I really get angry whenever I think of it. I really hope the person who thought of DRS will get Montezuma`s revenge for 2 months.

And that's the problem. DRS was thought up and agreed upon by the F1/FIA TWG including team technical directors. The mind boggles. :crazy:

ioan
13th June 2011, 22:11

Apparently there were over 100 (highway) 'overtaking' moves in the Turkish GP alone, according to the Austrian commentator. Welcome to the show.

ioan
13th June 2011, 22:11
I would have less issue with this system if it was available to all , all the time .

Yeah, he was in two minds.

Daniel
13th June 2011, 22:37

Well to be fair Schumacher was the slower car. Though through skill he was able to hold them off for a while. I just feel that allowing them to pass was OK, but then allowing them to pull away because of DRS, AFTER he'd been passed? Well that's just inexcusable IMHO.

Everyone says how exciting it was that Jenson won, but he wouldn't have won without DRS.

ioan
13th June 2011, 22:44
Everyone says how exciting it was that Jenson won, but he wouldn't have won without DRS.

He wouldn't have even been on the podium.

As I said yesterday DRS is a huge present to the likes of Button, they can finally overtake other cars when they need it. :\

Daniel
13th June 2011, 22:46

As I said yesterday DRS is a huge present to the likes of Button, they can finally overtake other cars when they need it. :\

Personally I feel that this part of it added to the race for me.

steveaki13
14th June 2011, 07:46

yodasarmpit
14th June 2011, 08:30
Yeah, DRS is artificial, however the design of the cars artificially prevent overtaking as it's near impossible for a following car to get close enough.
Either eliminate wings and anything that severely disrupts airflow, or find a way to negate it (DRS).

555-04Q2
14th June 2011, 08:38
Yeah, DRS is artificial, however the design of the cars artificially prevent overtaking as it's near impossible for a following car to get close enough.
Either eliminate wings and anything that severely disrupts airflow, or find a way to negate it (DRS).

Pirelli is doing a fine job in doing exactly that. Now cars are able to follow closely behind with higher grip levels when their tyres are newer and pass without needing a 10-20 km/h advantage down the straight. We've seen passes in slow corners at 60 km/h, medium corners at 150 km/h, fast corners at 250 km/h, acceleration points, decceleration points etc etc.

The Black Knight
14th June 2011, 08:40

I havent' seen any comment from him regards the use of DRS. I also would have less issue with DRS if everyone could use it at the same time, or even if say for the second DRS zone, when Schumacher was overtaken by Button, if there were a second activation point and were he within a second of Button at this point he then be allowed use it on the pit straight. That would even it out a little. Personally I feel the drivers should be allowed use it where they like and the braver drivers will get the most benefit from less straight line drag.

The Black Knight
14th June 2011, 08:48

Yeah but, if you don't mind me saying, that is a very selfish perspective. It's whether it's fair to drivers I care about, it should always be a level playing field allowed to use all the weapons you have.

It should be pointed out that Schumacher used the DRS to pass Heidfeld. He seemed to be a lot quicker than him though so I feel he'd have done it anyway. Either way, I believe DRS should be ****ed out the window.

Big Ben
14th June 2011, 09:36

And on the other hand, when Button is the sitting duck things go pretty much the same as before :laugh: ... at least now he has an excuse. It's only advantages for him.

Sonic
14th June 2011, 09:37
As I'm sure everyone knows, I've been a vocal supporter of DRS, but that was just sh*t.

I've said before, I like the system as it recreates the slipstream effect of old, but getting the boost when there isn't even a car in front is BS!

In addition the DRS in Canada just made it an open and shut pass - perhaps due to the dense moist air? Whatever the reason it is becoming clear that the system as it stands isn't doing what it set out to do i.e. assist passing (emphasis on the word assist).

I still think the system has some merit, but IMO it needs a far more high tech system than the current detection line. I'm no engineer, but all the teams have sensors to detect front wing load right? Surely these could be used, coupled with a sensor that detects when the wheels are more or less straight, to open the flap when the trailing car enters the wake. As soon as the chaser pops out into cleaner air to attempt the pass, the sensors would detect the greater front wing load and slam the gap shut, putting them side by side to the braking zone.

cosmicpanda
14th June 2011, 10:18
Yes, DRS here was just clumsy, and I was disappointed to see Schumacher lose the podium because of it. Let them use DRS all the time or get rid of it.

SGWilko
14th June 2011, 11:08
One point that seems to be overlooked in respect of DRS is that you can ONLY use it if you can get withina second of the car in front. Now, if the car in front is faster, the following car is never gonna get to use DRS, right?

So, all it does is aid the faster car (and you can assme they are gonna get by anyway) to make the overtake at the end of the DRS zone.

Daniel
14th June 2011, 11:10
One point that seems to be overlooked in respect of DRS is that you can ONLY use it if you can get withina second of the car in front. Now, if the car in front is faster, the following car is never gonna get to use DRS, right?

So, all it does is aid the faster car (and you can assme they are gonna get by anyway) to make the overtake at the end of the DRS zone.

That's certainly not true, in years past we saw plenty of faster cars not able to overtake.

My only issue with Canada was the fact that once a car had passed another in the first DRS zone, it then got another boost in the 2nd drs zone which is just dumb.

555-04Q2
14th June 2011, 11:19
The whole DRS system and concept is dumb.

Daniel
14th June 2011, 11:22

Wow, you of all people think this!?!?!?! I'm surprised.....

555-04Q2
14th June 2011, 11:30
The person(s) who came up with the DRS idea should be shot, just like the guy who came up with the idea of closed F1 cockpits :D

Robinho
14th June 2011, 11:33
That's certainly not true, in years past we saw plenty of faster cars not able to overtake.

My only issue with Canada was the fact that once a car had passed another in the first DRS zone, it then got another boost in the 2nd drs zone which is just dumb.

which is no worse than what we've had elsewhere this year on a few occasions, hwere 2 cars battling come up behind a backmarker. They are less than 1 sec at the detection line and then the backmarker pits, leaving the front car in the 2 car battle with a free DRS usage on the straight with nothing to pass and able to keep the faster car follwing, behind. Just as stupid. I like the 1 area use and the 1 second rule, it works, but only when there is a can in front and only when fighting for position not for lapping, and certainly not when the car in front pulls off into the pits

Whyzars
14th June 2011, 13:42
The person(s) who came up with the DRS idea should be shot, just like the guy who came up with the idea of closed F1 cockpits :D

Actually the person(s) who came up with grooved tyres should've got that. Thankfully that period is now resigned to the distant past.

The person(s) who came up with the DRS should be sent back to Kindergarten and made to go through their entire schooling again. Acne and all. :)

555-04Q2
14th June 2011, 14:00
:laugh: :up:

ioan
14th June 2011, 17:49

No use to watch the race for it, you can do it yourself on the highway. Change lane pass the car in front, change back, voila it's done, no big deal!

ioan
14th June 2011, 17:57
One point that seems to be overlooked in respect of DRS is that you can ONLY use it if you can get withina second of the car in front.

And that is part of the problem. Since when is 1 second gap a guarantee that the driver behind is entitled for a pass?!
They should have made the activation gap 0.3 seconds and then it would be fullfilling it's purpose of helping the driver to overcome that last hurdle, that so many complain about, called dirty air.

As it is it just bridges up a gap that is anyway to big to attempt an overtaking move from so far behind, as I don't really remember drivers that did out brake their counterparts into a corner from 1 second behind.

ioan
14th June 2011, 17:58

It is indeed. There is no engineering genius in such knee jerk solutions.

steveaki13
14th June 2011, 18:09
Yeah but, if you don't mind me saying, that is a very selfish perspective. It's whether it's fair to drivers I care about, it should always be a level playing field allowed to use all the weapons you have.

It should be pointed out that Schumacher used the DRS to pass Heidfeld. He seemed to be a lot quicker than him though so I feel he'd have done it anyway. Either way, I believe DRS should be ****ed out the window.

Agreed

steveaki13
14th June 2011, 18:15
And that is part of the problem. Since when is 1 second gap a guarantee that the driver behind is entitled for a pass?!
They should have made the activation gap 0.3 seconds and then it would be fullfilling it's purpose of helping the driver to overcome that last hurdle, that so many complain about, called dirty air.

As it is it just bridges up a gap that is anyway to big to attempt an overtaking move from so far behind, as I don't really remember drivers that did out brake their counterparts into a corner from 1 second behind.

Agree.

Being a faster car one second behind shouldn't entitle you to pass the car in front.
Being able to catch and pass the car in front entitles you to pass the car in front.

airshifter
15th June 2011, 03:57
People can whine about it all day long, but DRS is here. I think that certain teams will use the DRS more in the setup of the cars, as was the case with Jenson in Canada. By being more setup towards a wet race McLaren had more wing on the cars. Thus the speed differential was greater when they used DRS.

Canada was also a situation where the much faster cars could only make an attempt on the straights, as going off line on the rest of the track was out of the question. They showed several instances where the cars in front had used up all KERS trying to just stay ahead, and most of them were probably toast on the straight anyway IMO.

I agree that DRS is making passes easier, but no more so than KERS and/or the tire changes. If DRS makes passing easy, why did it take a mistake by Vettel for Jenson to pass? Jenson had set several fastest laps and was obviously quicker, so according to some here he should have been able to just pull out and do a "highway pass". Why couldn't he?

Daniel
15th June 2011, 08:35

Agreed. A smaller gap would be better :)

The Black Knight
15th June 2011, 08:51

I'd agree with this. Somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5 seconds gap and maybe then use it for a shorter time. That would be more deserving and accurate as an "aid" then. Now it just takes the fun out of racing for the spectator and driver.

schmenke
15th June 2011, 14:54
I agree that DRS is making passes easier, but no more so than KERS ...

Not true. KERS can be used by any driver at any time during a race. DRS was introduced to specifically give the trailing car the advantage under pre-determined criteria. DRS is a true "push-to-pass" gimmick whereas KERS is merely a "push-to-acclerate" button.

...If DRS makes passing easy, why did it take a mistake by Vettel for Jenson to pass? Jenson had set several fastest laps and was obviously quicker, so according to some here he should have been able to just pull out and do a "highway pass". Why couldn't he?

Because he ran out of laps. I can only imagine that given another lap or two Jensen would have passed Vettel on the back straight with the help of DRS.

The Black Knight
15th June 2011, 15:27
Not true. KERS can be used by any driver at any time during a race. DRS was introduced to specifically give the trailing car the advantage under pre-determined criteria. DRS is a true "push-to-pass" gimmick whereas KERS is merely a "push-to-acclerate" button.

Because he ran out of laps. I can only imagine that given another lap or two Jensen would have passed Vettel on the back straight with the help of DRS.

Well said!

ioan
15th June 2011, 17:59
People can whine about it all day long, but DRS is here.

Duh, that's exactly why people are whining about it all day long.

ioan
15th June 2011, 18:00

airshifter
16th June 2011, 02:46

Yet in a lot of cases KERS is used up early by a person trying to defend, and the faster car can reserve it for a spot on track where they use it to assist in overtaking.

I still say DRS doesn't make anything more a given than KERS. Button lap after lap couldn't get Massa in Australia. Hamilton hounded Vettel for the last 10 laps with the "artificial advantage" of DRS, but the pass never happened. Granted this past race Button didn't have a lot of laps to try a move on Vettel, but really given a lot of laps it's not unusual for a faster car to pass a slower car, DRS or not.

We've had races this year with a record number of overtaking moves on track, and also with a record number of pit stops. Tires anyone?