PDA

View Full Version : Andretti making changes

anthonyvop
7th June 2011, 18:03
Andretti Autosport has poached Tagliani's engineer, Allen McDonald. Word is he will work with Mike Conway. After the disaster that was Indy can you blame them?

Wilf
7th June 2011, 21:11
Not sure why Allen McDonald left Andretti Autosport after engineering Dario's 2007 win at Indy. He was credited by the drivers with this year's the qualifying speed of Tagliani, Bell and Wheldon and there is no question he is someone who can get the job done.

It's a shame to see him move on because Tag's team did show great promise but I would be willing to bet he didn't have a contract for the season with Sam Schmidt. If he does indeed go to the Conway team I wonder if he will also handle strategy since Anderson left that team at Indy.

Marbles
8th June 2011, 01:18
I think Mikey should take a look in the mirror. Maybe he had too much talent as a driver to be a good team owner. I just don't think he has the smarts for the position and will never be a Ganassi or a Penske. When interviewed about his struggling team he has the same look in his eyes he had when he drove into the back of his Dad -- who had just driven into the back of a safety truck. I keep thinking he's going to exclaim, "I was just a passenger!"

The coach having his kid front and centre on the team may be common in house league hockey or peewee baseball but it probably creates turmoil -- especially when your kid isn't really that hot -- amongst team members at this level.

I'm always curious about the Rahal's and what agreement they might have and if it's mutually agreed upon. "Dad, I want to make it on my own." or "Kid, your going to have to make it on your own."

00steven
8th June 2011, 01:41
Marco has talent. He's performed very well at Indy over the years, but isn't going to win a bunch of races because he's in B+ level equipment instead of A+ level equipment. The Andretti's actually have a nice line up of drivers (minus the princess). It's ashame Mike missed Indy because, I think he could have finished 3rd in points.

beachgirl
8th June 2011, 04:16
I'm always curious about the Rahal's and what agreement they might have and if it's mutually agreed upon. "Dad, I want to make it on my own." or "Kid, your going to have to make it on your own."

Both have commented on the situation in interviews, and IIRC, it was a mutual decision. Bobby wanted Graham to be able to make it on his own, outside of the Rahal "umbrella", and Graham wanted to make it on his own for the same reason.

Neither wanted the situation that is present at AA.

chuck34
8th June 2011, 13:46
I am a bit disapointed that McDonald left Schmidt. Obviously they all worked well together. I suppose AA gave him briefcases full of money. But isn't there more to life than money? From what I hear, and see, life at AA is far form rosey. I would think (as an complete outsider) that Schmidt's team would be much more rewarding. Perhaps not.

I applaud the Rahal's for not working together. I think it has helped Graham grow as a driver, and more importantly as a man. Something Marco is sorely lacking.

TURN3
10th June 2011, 02:50
Not sure why Allen McDonald left Andretti Autosport after engineering Dario's 2007 win at Indy. He was credited by the drivers with this year's the qualifying speed of Tagliani, Bell and Wheldon and there is no question he is someone who can get the job done.

It's a shame to see him move on because Tag's team did show great promise but I would be willing to bet he didn't have a contract for the season with Sam Schmidt. If he does indeed go to the Conway team I wonder if he will also handle strategy since Anderson left that team at Indy.

To answer your question, there are some rumors, some substantiated and some not. The basic premise is the same reason Dario and eventually TK left.

chuck34
10th June 2011, 12:35
To answer your question, there are some rumors, some substantiated and some not. The basic premise is the same reason Dario and eventually TK left.

Then that begs the question, why'd he go back?

SoCalPVguy
10th June 2011, 18:07
Old Yiddish saying "The fish stinks from the head down". Mike is the constant here no matter how many others come and go.

Chris R
10th June 2011, 19:56
I am no big fan of Andretti or his team - but sometimes it gets to sounding like we all think he is a big failure - and while he is no Penske or Ganassi - he runs a pretty successful team (several Indy 500 wins and championships) and seems to do pretty well for himself in the process and in the meantime takes care of his son doing it - so, maybe Michael isn't so bad after all......

SoCalPVguy
10th June 2011, 23:55
I am no big fan of Andretti or his team - but sometimes it gets to sounding like we all think he is a big failure - and while he is no Penske or Ganassi - he runs a pretty successful team (several Indy 500 wins and championships) and seems to do pretty well for himself in the process and in the meantime takes care of his son doing it - so, maybe Michael isn't so bad after all......

The success you speak of is in the distant past and was against a small, shallow, weakened IRL field prior to Cart team mergers into series. But the team is progressively getting worse since MA took it over from the Greens. They have gone from a top team to mediocre (or less). Barely qualified for the 500 this year, had to buy one of their drivers into it. Out-qualified and out-ran by a number of smaller teams with much limited resources. No, AR is NOT a top team and the constant is Mike and the people he has either driven away or kept.

Mark in Oshawa
14th June 2011, 09:04
Mike giving his kid a ride is a misplaced but good dad trying to help his son's career. It isn't really helping in my opinion, but I cant knock the guy for wanting to help the kid.

As for his team? Well, they got McDonald back, so obviously they have something left in the bank. It is a kick in the teeth for Tags, but racing is a business, and I suspect things are pretty thin on the ground at Sam Schmidt. The resources and money may be finite at this point.

It think Andretti Autosport is in decline, but at least Micheal is hiring good people to change the direction. How well it works, and how much he interferes will likely be a factor in how well spent this money is...