PDA

View Full Version : Drivers

Alfa Fan
5th June 2011, 23:02
What do people want from them? People complain that they are becoming "boring" and that everyone's interviews are all to PC, mentioning sponsors names, not giving opinions, etc...

BUT

Then as soon as you get examples of it which someone doesn't agree with, we have people calling for heads. Like Bernie's jokes about women a few years ago, some of the crap Lewis Hamilton has come out with, and then, whats motivated me to post this today, Plato's comments after his win in race 2.

So why is there such a schizophrenia about this issue?

F1boat
6th June 2011, 07:29
Well, I have no issues for them being boring. It's much better than to try to manipulate the stewards or the governing body with comments in front of the media.

Eurotech
6th June 2011, 23:46
I don't care what they say as long as its relevant and interesting...

BDunnell
7th June 2011, 14:33
What do people want from them? People complain that they are becoming "boring" and that everyone's interviews are all to PC, mentioning sponsors names, not giving opinions, etc...

BUT

Then as soon as you get examples of it which someone doesn't agree with, we have people calling for heads. Like Bernie's jokes about women a few years ago, some of the crap Lewis Hamilton has come out with, and then, whats motivated me to post this today, Plato's comments after his win in race 2.

So why is there such a schizophrenia about this issue?

Because people are generally schizophrenic about it. Take politicians as another example. The public, and the press which influences them, are always moaning about how politicians have become boring nonentities. Then, when one says something controversial or out of turn, they are castigated for it.

That said, it does depend on the circumstances and the person saying it. In some cases, outspokenness is simply boorish; in others, it's a delight.

MrJan
7th June 2011, 15:04
In some cases the moaning is coming from seperate people, but the issue divides so much that it seems like everyone's complaining each time. In other cases it's just down to the drivers that people like, so Lewis Hamilton saying "iz coz i iz black" annoys but if Mark Webber were to have a whinge then the same people may praise him for it.

BDunnell
7th June 2011, 17:41
In some cases the moaning is coming from seperate people, but the issue divides so much that it seems like everyone's complaining each time. In other cases it's just down to the drivers that people like, so Lewis Hamilton saying "iz coz i iz black" annoys but if Mark Webber were to have a whinge then the same people may praise him for it.

As I said, it depends to a great extent on the circumstances and how the comments are made. Proof of this, surely, comes in exactly the BTCC-related case we're discussing here. Everybody seems to be rounding on Plato, yet Dick Bennetts made much the same comments in a different way and receives no such criticism. As it happens, I think the complaint being made by both is entirely justified.

PDS
10th June 2011, 18:19
As I said, it depends to a great extent on the circumstances and how the comments are made. Proof of this, surely, comes in exactly the BTCC-related case we're discussing here. Everybody seems to be rounding on Plato, yet Dick Bennetts made much the same comments in a different way and receives no such criticism. As it happens, I think the complaint being made by both is entirely justified.

It is was all about the way it was said!!!

Jak
13th June 2011, 02:11

What paragons of virtue a few of you are ------ why don't you try and put yourselves in the same position -------- would you be calm in the same situation ?????????????????????????

PDS
13th June 2011, 12:48
What paragons of virtue a few of you are ------ why don't you try and put yourselves in the same position -------- would you be calm in the same situation ?????????????????????????

I was actually replying to why Platos rant was noticed and Dick Bennets wasn't!!!

It was NOTHING to do with how Plato made his point... So before you going making stupid snide comments, I suggest you read the posts properly mate and in the order in which they were made!!!!

I am evil Homer
13th June 2011, 13:54

What when i'd just won a race, collected a handful of points while the leader had crashed out. There's a time and a place to air those views and a way to do it.

I think Jason has a valid point but he's going about it in all the wrong way.

BDunnell
15th June 2011, 17:58

I can see why that would be so. What I can't understand is why anyone could disagree with the factual point made by both Plato and Bennetts.