PDA

View Full Version : Texas Twin 275s - Explain please

Sateryn76
4th June 2011, 05:54
So I missed the announcement last year about the change in this race, and I just want to make sure I understand what's going to happen - There will be two races of 114 laps each, open to all drivers. The points in each race will be combined for the point totals.

Is that right? There will be two races next weekend. The qualifying drivers will run both races from the same position. If you crash in the first race, then no second race/points for you. Does someone move into the position of the crashed car for the second race?

This seems weird to me. Is there an advantage for anyone to do it this way? Is it a gimmick?

drewdawg727
4th June 2011, 11:26
Qualifying determines the grid for the first race...then there is a break between the two races for 1 hour. 2nd grid is determined by random draw.

Don Capps
6th June 2011, 20:03
So I missed the announcement last year about the change in this race, and I just want to make sure I understand what's going to happen - There will be two races of 114 laps each, open to all drivers. The points in each race will be combined for the point totals.

Is that right? There will be two races next weekend. The qualifying drivers will run both races from the same position. If you crash in the first race, then no second race/points for you. Does someone move into the position of the crashed car for the second race?

This seems weird to me. Is there an advantage for anyone to do it this way? Is it a gimmick?

In the distant, dark past, long-forgotten past, when USAC would hold heats, points were awarded for each heat independent of the other heats. Those events such as the Mosport or other road course events run in two heats were, in fact, considered as two separate, different races as regards the points awarded. The same happened if there were several heats and a consolation event for a Big Car event durng the AAA years, a practice which carried over when USAC was formed.

How IndyCar intends to do this, I have nary a clue.

Sateryn76
6th June 2011, 20:43
In the distant, dark past, long-forgotten past, when USAC would hold heats, points were awarded for each heat independent of the other heats. Those events such as the Mosport or other road course events run in two heats were, in fact, considered as two separate, different races as regards the points awarded. The same happened if there were several heats and a consolation event for a Big Car event durng the AAA years, a practice which carried over when USAC was formed.

How IndyCar intends to do this, I have nary a clue.

I don't understand why they're doing it, but, hell - maybe it will be totally awesome.

I'm looking at the times - coverage starts on Versus at 8pm eastern according to the schedule I printed out. So, if my estimates are correct, then it will be 6 hours of coverage? That's a late night!

I mean, I'll watch it, but you know...

Sateryn76
6th June 2011, 20:45
Just checked NBC - they're saying 8:45 pm Eastern for the first race, then 10:45 Eastern for the second.

I know they like to run under the lights, but I'm pretty sure they just screwed their ratings with this. I can't imagine any casual fan will be up until midnight watching this.

NickFalzone
7th June 2011, 01:54
Just checked NBC - they're saying 8:45 pm Eastern for the first race, then 10:45 Eastern for the second.

I know they like to run under the lights, but I'm pretty sure they just screwed their ratings with this. I can't imagine any casual fan will be up until midnight watching this.

I know I will be, but I suppose I'm not a casual fan. I do not necessarily have super high hopes for the quality of this event, but the uniqueness of it intrigues me and I'm very curious as to how it turns out.

Wilf
7th June 2011, 17:25
I know I will be, but I suppose I'm not a casual fan. I do not necessarily have super high hopes for the quality of this event, but the uniqueness of it intrigues me and I'm very curious as to how it turns out.

I would venture a guess that if you asked the average fan what are the two most important segments of a race they would say the first couple of laps when everybody is trying to find their pace and then the last couple of laps.

While the middle laps can be interesting if you follow team strategy, they routinely are when people find other things to do and then get back for the race to the checkers.

The twin 275's double you opportunity to see the the most exciting portions of the race.

I don't share the belief that they will lose a sizable portion of their audience because the second race is scheduled to begin at 10:45. The approximately one hour first race should be be enough to whet their appetite to learn more about the drivers and follow up on JR Hildebrand's disappointment at Indy especially with Dan Wheldon's comments. Now, if they find a way to make the first race a snoozer, all bets are off. However, I can't imagine any race at Texas as a snoozer.

anthonyvop
7th June 2011, 18:00

Ahh But they get the casual West Coast fan. The 2nd race will be starting at 7:45 on the left coast

Anubis
10th June 2011, 12:41
Ahh But they get the casual West Coast fan. The 2nd race will be starting at 7:45 on the left coast

Spare a thought for us fans on the other side of the Atlantic! Race one is late enough as it it, but race two will be at some ridiculous hour for me. Still going to watch it though, just going to consume my body weight in coffee.