PDA

View Full Version : Top Indy 500 finishes. Where would 2011 rank for you?

Marbles
2nd June 2011, 03:05
Lots of emotion and a lot of talk about this years Indy finish but is it to early to really appreciate it? Was it a great one?

For me it was great and for me, great finishes can't be measured with a stop watch. My personal favourite up to this point was '89 Fittipaldi\Unser. Another favourite was '92 Unser\Goodyear. Now I have Wheldon\Hildebrand. Awesome stuff.

SarahFan
2nd June 2011, 03:13
It ranks pretty damn high for me...

And it wasn't just the last 1/8 of the lap ... It was the last 40 or so...

When Dario came in for a splash right before the last green I knew it was going to be very very interesting

Question for the class ... Any idea where it ranks on the list of closest finishes? Top 10 I think, but was it top 5 or 6?

anthonyvop
2nd June 2011, 03:30
Ranks up there with the pace laps for the 1982 Indy 500

SarahFan
2nd June 2011, 04:13
Anybody ever seen the scene In good will hunting where Minnie driver gives matt Damon her phone number?

What was it she first said to him again?

Chris R
2nd June 2011, 12:06
Ranks up there with the pace laps for the 1982 Indy 500

those pace laps were pretty darn interesting/exciting - especially for an 11 year old boy... who knew that stuff happened in racing?? Cogan screwed up so massively, but so did Mario for following too close... the interviews were pretty cool... AJ fixing his own car.... THEN, AJ hops into a car that the announcers made sure to tell you might not be right and just hammers into the lead.... it was at that moment I understood that people like AJ were made of something a little different than the rest of us (as an adult I understand that to be "different" not "better")... My growing love for the sport was absolutely cemented that day by an exciting start (granted, from an adult perspective I'd probably be talking about what a bunch of unprofessional idiots they were) and a riveting finish.... To me 1982 will always be the greatest 500, not just because it was a great race but because of where I was in my "career" as a racing fan - that is something we cannot forget - every race means something different to everyone. You bring your own "baggage" to the track or TV screen and that turns the race into your own unique experience.....

dataman1
2nd June 2011, 14:11
Well said Chris R.

This race was in my top 10 for sure and maybe even top 5.

00steven
3rd June 2011, 04:57
My top 5 would be...

5. 1981 I don't know why but I just like the drama and crazyness that followed. One thing that sticks out in that race is Ongais' horrible crash.

4. 1989 was a great finish between two worthy champions.

3. 2011 all I can say is WOW!

2. 1982 It was quite the month, Smiley had his horrible fatal crash (he was a hell of a road racer). Plus the Cogan incident and a great finish (which Rick Mears should have won but waited too long to pass!) topped by only one...

1. 1992 was an incredible race dominated by Michael, until he lost power and set up the greatest finish in speedway history!

Mark in Oshawa
7th June 2011, 17:00
THis one was one of the more interesting finishes but it wasn't a great race really.

1982 for me was up there, as was 95 and the craziness in that one. Hornish nipping Marco at the line I think was one of the better ones in recent years....

I cant really rank them...I just know when I have seen a great race. This years was so so with a huge finish.....Indy's last 15 to 20 laps seem to be like the back 9 at Augusta on a Sunday afternoon...somehow the wildest craziest stuff is possible....

harvick#1
7th June 2011, 17:08
during the whole month of may, one of the announcers said that to improve this race again, IMS really needs to bring back the apron and take out the grass in Turns 1,2,3,4. that way the track is now alot more open

speedsville
21st June 2011, 22:29
I liked the duel between Foyt and Eddie Sachs in 36
Clark and Parnelli in 63
Then Clark winning in 65
And Parnelli's Turbin braking late lap 196, in the 67 race, after dominating 171 laps, with an amazing car

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/5345694911_9635843160.jpg