PDA

View Full Version : Murray Walker: Life in the Fast Lane (BBC)

Dave B
31st May 2011, 13:27
Possibly of interest to our UK members, and those enterprising souls abroad who know their way around a proxy:

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Murray Walker: Life in the Fast Lane (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011vnlj)

Murray Walker: Life in the Fast Lane

Commentator Murray Walker's dramatic, excitable voice defined a golden era of Formula One and enthralled viewers across the globe. This is an intimate portrait of one the nation's treasures, and the inspiring tale of a man who, at the age of nearly 90, continues to break the mould.

The documentary accompanies the indefatigable Walker as he travels to Australia for the opening F1 of the season, relives his tank commander past and rides classic scramble bikes. The programme also delves deep into the archive to bring back to life some of Murray's most sensational moments in motorsport and beyond.

With contributions from Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Jenson Button.

Broadcasts

Sun 5 Jun 2011 20:00 BBC Two (England, Scotland, Wales only)
Tue 7 Jun 2011 19:00 BBC Two (Northern Ireland only)

Mark
31st May 2011, 13:29
Sunday at 8pm on BBC2, that's always a good time slot :D

Is this new? It seems familiar.

V11
31st May 2011, 13:49
I have not seen this before, should be good

steveaki13
31st May 2011, 19:42
Sunday at 8pm on BBC2, that's always a good time slot :D

Is this new? It seems familiar.

I thought that. It seems as though I have seen it before somewhere, the bit about the Tanks.

inimitablestoo
1st June 2011, 17:13
Apparently it is new; the Radio Times blurb mentions him attending this year's Australian Grand Prix. Incidentally, at 6pm on the same night ITV4 is repeating a show that was on last night, with Murray's memories of the Isle of Man TT.

Garry Walker
1st June 2011, 20:27
Whenever I hear or see murray, I always feel the need to go to the toilet for a nr.2.

SGWilko
1st June 2011, 21:02
Whenever I hear or see murray, I always feel the need to go to the toilet for a nr.2.

You take your laptop to the crapper just so you can post on here? ;)

Garry Walker
1st June 2011, 21:05
You take your laptop to the crapper just so you can post on here? ;)

Except I didnt see or hear Murray this time ;) .

AndyL
2nd June 2011, 10:46
Murray was at Thruxton for the British Superbikes at the weekend; they interviewed him on Eurosport. It was quite a short interview as I think the Eurosport presenter realised he was being severely shown up by a professional broadcaster 50 years his senior.

Mark
5th June 2011, 19:12
Remember this is tonight BBC2 8:10pm.

UltimateDanGTR
5th June 2011, 21:39
Faaaaaaaaaannntastic.

sorry, had to get that out of my system. Nice little documentary on Murray, interesting to learn more about his pre-F1 years...

Mark
7th June 2011, 09:56
Just realised that I hadn't put the Murray Walker quotes page back online since we moved servers, so here it is
The Murray Walker Quotes Page (http://www.motorsportforums.com/murray/)

CarlMetro
7th June 2011, 10:13
Not available on iPlayer but is being shown again on BBC NI 7pm tonight Sky channel 992.

Garry Walker
8th June 2011, 21:41
A very good documentary that educated me on Murray's life pre F1 which I knew little about apart from his love of motorcycle racing. You really got a sense of how big a personality he is around the paddock and the fact he's a thoroughly nice chap. He wasn't the most technically skilled commentator around in sport but he's the voice I remember from my childhood watching Mansell and Senna fighting it out and his excitement (often over excitement) really reached the viewer and made F1 appeal to the wider audience IMO. If only he wasn't 87 and we could have another 20 years with him maybe guest appearing alongside Brundle and DC. :) Murray walker was an idiot and a nuisance as a commentator. He was the worst f1 commentator I have ever heard, he had zero understanding of what was happening in the race (to a degree where it was embarrassing to listen to actually), had certain phrases he would use all the time, would mistake one car for another most of the time and on top of that, he had an unbelieveably annoying voice.

Murray was at Thruxton for the British Superbikes at the weekend; they interviewed him on Eurosport. It was quite a short interview as I think the Eurosport presenter realised he was being severely shown up by a professional broadcaster 50 years his senior.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Yes, I am sure the eurosport reporter was worried dumb-dumb would take his job :rotflmao:

Sonic
9th June 2011, 13:04
Poor old Gary. It must be sad life hating everything and everyone. Smile mate, it'll make you feel better. :)

As for the docu, not much in there that was new to me but there were a couple of fun moments like watching him drive the tank again - did anyone else spot the Harry Potter connection there or was I just dreaming that?

AndyL
10th June 2011, 13:51
Murray's broadcasting right now on Manx Radio, introducing the runners in the TT Legends parade lap.

Garry Walker
13th June 2011, 19:01
Poor old Gary. It must be sad life hating everything and everyone. Smile mate, it'll make you feel better. :)

Funny, so many kept attacking Legard and Allen and no one would have said what you said, but somewhere dares to say about beloved senile Murray and suddenly he is full of hatred

wedge
14th June 2011, 12:27
YouTube - ‪Murray Walker : Life In The Fast Lane | Part 1‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifsRZJW7ix0)

YouTube - ‪Murray Walker : Life In The Fast Lane | Part 2‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAlexTb0scw)

YouTube - ‪Murray Walker : Life In The Fast Lane | Part 3‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UwHVGeiPQI)

YouTube - ‪Murray Walker : Life In The Fast Lane | Part 4‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQWFOq66mE)

555-04Q2
14th June 2011, 12:40
To be fair Garry, Murray is a genuinely nice bloke and he may not have got it right most of the time, but he was more tolerable than both Legard and Allen IMO. Allen spent most of his time creaming himself over Hamilton and comparing him to Senna (18 times during Monaco '08), and Legard just got boring. Murray was never boring in my book and he had me laughing (unintentionaly) more often than not lol.

PS: I'm surprised Lewis hasn't got a restraining order on James Allen after 2008, or perhaps he invested in a years supply of creep spray? Allen is a good motorsport writer however.. :)

Murray was a classic. A nice bloke with a mouth that often overtook his brain without needing a DRS device to achieve it. He was and still is a Legend :)

I miss his ramblings...

Garry Walker
14th June 2011, 21:11
To be fair Garry, Murray is a genuinely nice bloke
Legard and Allen arent?

and he may not have got it right most of the time, but he was more tolerable than both Legard and Allen IMO. Allen was so much better than Murray that they arent even in the same league. Legard was not a good commentator, but still far better than the cretin that Murray was. He had zero understanding of what was going on in the race.

Allen spent most of his time creaming himself over Hamilton and comparing him to Senna (18 times during Monaco '08), and Legard just got boring.
You missed Murray shooting a load in his pants whenever something to do with Hill and Mansell happened?

Murray was never boring in my book and he had me laughing (unintentionaly) more often than not lol. I will be honest. The biggest problem I have with watching older f1 races is murray, because of his imbecile comments. You always knew that he had a couple of expressions that he always used. First was "he will now be pushing very very hard indeed to open a cushion". He said it every race.
Without Brundle and Hunt he would have embarrassed himself even more.

BDunnell
21st June 2011, 22:35
I will be honest. The biggest problem I have with watching older f1 races is murray, because of his imbecile comments.

The same could be said of certain individuals on internet forums, perhaps.

Oh, and how charming that, again, the accusation of senility is thrown around with regard to people who clearly are nothing of the sort, just as if it's another insult. It isn't. It's far more offensive than that, and I hope that those who use it might be tempted to take a second and think of how unpleasant it makes them appear.

steveaki13
21st June 2011, 22:48
The same could be said of certain individuals on internet forums, perhaps.

Oh, and how charming that, again, the accusation of senility is thrown around with regard to people who clearly are nothing of the sort, just as if it's another insult. It isn't. It's far more offensive than that, and I hope that those who use it might be tempted to take a second and think of how unpleasant it makes them appear.

I have to agree.

I don't have any quarms if people didn't like Murrays commentary, but surely thats no need to get personal. Even those who were annoyed by his commentary must admit he seems like a very nice guy. He may have not been the most knowledgable but he did and does love F1 and motorsport as a whole.

So to get so personal is a complete over reaction, and as you say it does seem to give a bad impression of those who can only express there views in such means.

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 06:18
Funny, so many kept attacking Legard and Allen and no one would have said what you said, but somewhere dares to say about beloved senile Murray and suddenly he is full of hatred

Anyone who has ever met Murray Walker would sum him up in two words, a gentleman. He may be a bit of a nutter, but he is a true legend in his own lifetime.

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 06:24
I will be honest. The biggest problem I have with watching older f1 races is murray, because of his imbecile comments. You always knew that he had a couple of expressions that he always used. First was "he will now be pushing very very hard indeed to open a cushion". He said it every race.
Without Brundle and Hunt he would have embarrassed himself even more.

Ever heard of a "MUTE" button Garry :?:

We get two F1 race coverage feeds on our satellite her in the third world. I can't stand listening to the current crop of commentators most of the time and if they start talking crap as usual or feeling themselves up a bit, I flip over and watch the Portuguese Channels F1 coverage. Push comes to shove, I just mute the TV.

CarlMetro
22nd June 2011, 09:39
Oh look, troll feeding time again and I missed it.

Dave B
22nd June 2011, 10:49
Anyone who has ever met Murray Walker would sum him up in two words, a gentleman. He may be a bit of a nutter, but he is a true legend in his own lifetime.

I speak from personal experience. I've met Murray three times and on each occasion found him to be utterly charming, humble, witty, and as they say "all there and half way back".

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 12:06
I speak from personal experience. I've met Murray three times and on each occasion found him to be utterly charming, humble, witty, and as they say "all there and half way back".

:up: I remember you posting a picture of yourself standing next to Murray Walker about 5 years back. The stand out feature of that picture was the fact that he was far better looking than you were ;) :D

Dave B
22nd June 2011, 12:21
:up: I remember you posting a picture of yourself standing next to Murray Walker about 5 years back. The stand out feature of that picture was the fact that he was far better looking than you were ;) :D

This one:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v142/193/122/627167268/n627167268_353003_4197.jpg

None taken, by the way :p

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 12:30
Thats the one :up: :D

Retro Formula 1
22nd June 2011, 12:31
I wonder what impact Murray has had on the popularity of F1. His passion and enthusiasm captured the imagination of people and I believe added to the enjoyment of the people watching.

Poor old Garry doesn't realise his namesake is probably the most popular and adored person in the history of Motorsport and is entitled to his opinion, no matter how much of a minority he is in. It's just a pity he feel the need to be quite so rude about such a nice and genuine person but I suppose that says more about Garry than the subject of his vitriol.

Was that picture taken at Thruxton BTCC Dave?

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 12:35
I wonder what impact Murray has had on the popularity of F1. His passion and enthusiasm captured the imagination of people and I believe added to the enjoyment of the people watching.

Well I would say he had a major impact. The first thing my wife asked when he retired was something to the effect of, "Where's the old guy who used to commentate. He was at least entertaining compared to this new guy". Can't remember who the commentator was that she was bashing :p :

AndyRAC
22nd June 2011, 12:39
He's actually a huge fan of bikes as well as cars. People think Murray = F1, but he's got a great knowledge of all kinds of Motorsport - and as the programme showed, particularly 'grass roots' motorsport.

Dave B
22nd June 2011, 12:43
Was that picture taken at Thruxton BTCC Dave?

Certainly was. We were both hanging around the media tent at some unholy hour in the morning, and Murray was at a loose end as his companion was constantly on the phone. I'd never spoken to him before and felt nervous about interrupting him, but thought it was too great an opportunity to let slip. I went over and asked Murray if he could spare a moment, introduced myself, and we chatted for around ten minutes about the state of the BTCC, Vauxhall's then dominance, the upcoming Imola GP, the rise of a young chap called Jenson Button, and the dodgy autofocus on my camera! :)

Retro Formula 1
22nd June 2011, 13:42
Certainly was. We were both hanging around the media tent at some unholy hour in the morning, and Murray was at a loose end as his companion was constantly on the phone. I'd never spoken to him before and felt nervous about interrupting him, but thought it was too great an opportunity to let slip. I went over and asked Murray if he could spare a moment, introduced myself, and we chatted for around ten minutes about the state of the BTCC, Vauxhall's then dominance, the upcoming Imola GP, the rise of a young chap called Jenson Button, and the dodgy autofocus on my camera! :)

I remember the day well as I cornered him by the SEAT pit. Great gentleman. :up:

Garry Walker
22nd June 2011, 14:40
The same could be said of certain individuals on internet forums, perhaps. oh look, mr.dunnell with his backhand attacking comments is here again.

I have to agree.

I don't have any quarms if people didn't like Murrays commentary, but surely thats no need to get personal. Even those who were annoyed by his commentary must admit he seems like a very nice guy. He may have not been the most knowledgable but he did and does love F1 and motorsport as a whole.
I have never met murray, have zero interest in that either, so he might be a very nice person or he might not be, that is not the question at all, nor have I ever claimed that he is a massive prick who enjoys killing small animals. I have not said that at all. I have just expressed my viewpoint that as a commentator, in my view, he was beyond awful.

Ever heard of a "MUTE" button Garry :?: I like the engine sounds!

I'll be honest Garry I often chuckle at your posts as you are straight to the point and whilst I agree with you alot of the time, you tend to put things in a more direct way than others.[quote]That`s me :D

[quote:272ogsrj]
On this occasion however I have to disagree with your comments. I can understand maybe you found Murray irritating and didn't appreciate his delivery of grand prix racing to the audiences of yesteryear, but I do find the way you have got personal in regards to name calling very offensive. He doesn't deserve to be called an imbecile and a cretin just as much as you wouldn't deserve it for your post above. Sorry mate.
I can admit that I probably was a bit too hard on Murray when I called him a cretin, but I have always just immensly disliked his commenting style and found that he took huge amount of enjoyment out from my viewing of the races. So that, coupled with the love he gets from so many which leaves me baffled, has lead to me being a bit too mean on him on more than one occasion :D

To be honest, I would rather meet the pitbabes than Murray :D

Poor old Garry doesn't realise his namesake is probably the most popular and adored person in the history of Motorsport :laugh: No, he is not.

and is entitled to his opinion, no matter how much of a minority he is in. It's just a pity he feel the need to be quite so rude about such a nice and genuine person but I suppose that says more about Garry than the subject of his vitriol.[/quote:272ogsrj][/quote:272ogsrj] Look dumb-dumb, a nice person can still be completely stupid or an utter failure at the job they do and I will always call a spade a spade, not a heart.

BDunnell
22nd June 2011, 14:44
oh look, mr.dunnell with his backhand attacking comments is here again.

What is better — that, or calling someone senile who isn't? I know which I'm more comfortable with.

BDunnell
22nd June 2011, 14:45

Poor old Garry doesn't realise his namesake is probably the most popular and adored person in the history of Motorsport and is entitled to his opinion, no matter how much of a minority he is in. It's just a pity he feel the need to be quite so rude about such a nice and genuine person but I suppose that says more about Garry than the subject of his vitriol.

Very well put, may I say.

Dave B
22nd June 2011, 14:47
To be honest, I would rather meet the pitbabes than Murray :D
I've met and photographed more than my fair share of pit babes and, while they may be nice to look at, I know who I'd rather go for a pint with :)

Look dumb-dumb, a nice person can still be completely stupid or an utter failure at the job they do and I will always call a spade a spade, not a heart.
Nobody has any problem with you despising Murray's commentary. You're in a minority, but you have every right to your opinion. What is totally unfair is to describe a complete stranger as "senile" or an "imbicile" despite clear evidence to the contrary. That's just plain insulting.

wedge
22nd June 2011, 15:26
He's actually a huge fan of bikes as well as cars. People think Murray = F1, but he's got a great knowledge of all kinds of Motorsport - and as the programme showed, particularly 'grass roots' motorsport.

He's a bikes man first and foremost. Not a lot of people know that.

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 15:43
I've met and photographed more than my fair share of pit babes

I can think of far better things to do with the pit babes than just photograph them :D

Retro Formula 1
23rd June 2011, 10:16
:laugh: No, he is not.

Really? I am racking my brain trying to think of anyone in the history of the sport that is more popular and adored. Can you?

Look dumb-dumb, a nice person can still be completely stupid or an utter failure at the job they do and I will always call a spade a spade, not a heart.

I don't mind insults but "dumb"? Really? Although, coming from someone with the perception to accuse Murray of being an imbecile and senile, perhaps I will award your opinion with the consideration it deserves. http://smileyicons.net/s/490.gif

As for your calling of Spades, you can call them Hearts or Shovels for all I car. I accept you don't like him and that's fine. I really don't care but to be unfairly rude and insulting to a man that has had such a major positive influence to Motorsport seems rather mean. Surely we can discuss Murray in a respectful manner without slandering him?

CarlMetro
23rd June 2011, 15:24
still troll feeding time then, glad I didn't miss it after all..........

Garry Walker
29th June 2011, 22:13
What is better — that, or calling someone senile who isn't? I know which I'm more comfortable with. Being senile yourself? Dont get your panties in a twist now, I was only joking.

I've met and photographed more than my fair share of pit babes and, while they may be nice to look at, I know who I'd rather go for a pint with :) Me too. Pitbabes would win 100 times out of 100.

Nobody has any problem with you despising Murray's commentary. You're in a minority, but you have every right to your opinion. What is totally unfair is to describe a complete stranger as "senile" or an "imbicile" despite clear evidence to the contrary. That's just plain insulting. Well, his level of commentary was such that I could only consider him an imbecile.

Really? I am racking my brain trying to think of anyone in the history of the sport that is more popular and adored. Can you? :laugh:
Most drivers, teambosses, engineers. Murray is a somebody only in UK and possibly Canada and australia. In other countries nobody gives a flying eff about him, so in fact I will suggest he isnt even the most popular commentator around - Brazil has a far bigger population and Galvao Bueno is possibly more popular there than Walker is in UK.

I don't mind insults but "dumb"? Really? Although, coming from someone with the perception to accuse Murray of being an imbecile and senile, perhaps I will award your opinion with the consideration it deserves.I didnt call you dumb, dumb. I called you dumb-dumb. There is a difference.

As for your calling of Spades, you can call them Hearts or Shovels for all I car. I accept you don't like him and that's fine. I really don't care but to be unfairly rude and insulting to a man that has had such a major positive influence to Motorsport seems rather mean. Surely we can discuss Murray in a respectful manner without slandering him?What positive influence has he had on motorsport? That he tortured intelligent viewers for years with his nonsensical and worthless comments? The only positive influence he had to me in Motorsport was when he finally gave up his job (about 20 years too late).

Jake Stephens
30th June 2011, 00:38
I don't agree with someone basically being branded as mentally retarded when they clearly are nothing of the sort. It's unnecessary.

wedge
30th June 2011, 17:09
Nobody has any problem with you despising Murray's commentary. You're in a minority, but you have every right to your opinion. What is totally unfair is to describe a complete stranger as "senile" or an "imbicile" despite clear evidence to the contrary. That's just plain insulting.

I've been re-reading the autobiography and there is acknowledgement of being a marmite personality.

The Daily Mail had an article in 2000 which attacked Murray for being senile and provoked his retirement.

CarlMetro
1st July 2011, 07:56
Oh well, if it says so in the Daily Mail, then it must be true. :rolleyes:

wedge
1st July 2011, 15:16
Oh well, if it says so in the Daily Mail, then it must be true. :rolleyes:

Actually the autobiography did mention that there were articles with 'Murray Walker's annoying cockups' which he found depressing.

At the 2000 German GP he made an error saying Barrichello went off when in fact it was Schumi which became a launch pad for a Daily Mail journo - the gist of which was that Walker was losing the plot with irritating cock ups and it was time for him to go. Daily Mirror too jumped on the bandwagon.

I don't have a problem with Garry Walker's comments. Murray Walker is well aware that there is a minority who think of him as a bumbling idiot.