View Full Version : Message from my wife for the hulman-George clan

SarahFan
30th May 2011, 21:12
Attended her first 500..... Had a blast.... Unbelievable place

It's 2011 Get Some Recyleing Bins!

Bob Riebe
31st May 2011, 03:44
Attended her first 500..... Had a blast.... Unbelievable place

It's 2011 Get Some Recyleing Bins!Bring you own bag and do it at home.
With the current price of aluminum grab a few extras and get a little extra cash.

SarahFan
31st May 2011, 03:50
We did

dataman1
31st May 2011, 18:34
I believe that Indy pays not for profit groups like churches and youth sports groups to clean up and they get to collect the cans as part of their fund raising efforts.

garyshell
31st May 2011, 19:45
So they force the not for profits to dig thru the other garbage to retrieve the cans? Nice. I think Sarahfan's wife is right, put out some damn recyling bins.

Gary

Wilf
31st May 2011, 23:06
So they force the not for profits to dig thru the other garbage to retrieve the cans? Nice. I think Sarahfan's wife is right, put out some damn recyling bins.

Gary

Yelling come and get it is not exactly forcing them to do anything but does raise a considerable sum for some of the non profits plus it's not digging through bins, the debris is typical race crowd stuff, they drop their mostly-empty cans and bottles where ever they feel it is convenient. After the race I think I walked approximately four blocks without my shoes touching the ground.

dataman1
1st June 2011, 14:08

Gary

No body forces anyone to do it. You are way off base on that. These groups make the going wage plus the recycle funds. This for some is their major fund raising effort for their entire year. Take it another step and realize that many of the concession stands are also ran by not for profit groups. They too get paid by IMS. I think it much better to run things this way than to hire some big corporation. It puts money back into the community rather than corporate pockets.

SarahFan
1st June 2011, 14:25
Seriously.... It's 2011

I come walking down the stands with my water bottles etc and there isn't a recycling can to toss them in.....

garyshell
1st June 2011, 16:38
No body forces anyone to do it. You are way off base on that. These groups make the going wage plus the recycle funds. This for some is their major fund raising effort for their entire year. Take it another step and realize that many of the concession stands are also ran by not for profit groups. They too get paid by IMS. I think it much better to run things this way than to hire some big corporation. It puts money back into the community rather than corporate pockets.

What I meant was, by not having separate recycling bins this forces the folks who do want to do the recycling to have to sort through the trash to find the recyclable materials. As Ken said, this is 2011, it's time to have separate containers at ALL events.

Gary

booger
1st June 2011, 18:50
What an absolutely stupid thread!

SarahFan
1st June 2011, 19:34
Recycling is just common sense

I also liked the stenciled message on the bathroom wall above urinal

"bathroom supplies furnished courtesy of the managent"

Thanks for the TP Mari!

Bob Riebe
1st June 2011, 19:42
What I meant was, by not having separate recycling bins this forces the folks who do want to do the recycling to have to sort through the trash to find the recyclable materials. As Ken said, this is 2011, it's time to have separate containers at ALL events.

GaryAh yes, manual labor such a nineties thing.

garyshell
1st June 2011, 19:53
What an absolutely stupid thread!

Only one post in the thread warrants the title of stupid.

Gary

nigelred5
2nd June 2011, 01:11
If the non profits have a problem with it, I'm sure they are free to put collection boxes out, but they cost money, and then they still have to sort the recycling because drunks rarely distinguish between recycling and a refuse can. I volunteered one year to help clean up the infield of the Preakness, and it was honestly easier to sort and pick up when all the crap was on the deck. We actually dumped cans and then picked it up. The recycling bins really didn't improve much.

Marbles
2nd June 2011, 02:37
As I exit the Indy in Toronto, wading knee deep through tens of thousands of empty water bottles, I can't imagine the size of the recycling containers required to contain these... bottles. But, they should have something.

If you told me as a youth that one day people would make millions of dollars selling water -- not Coke, not Coffee, not Molsons -- at events such as these, I would have laughed at you. How we survived without bottled water is a Miracle.

"Honey, that's disgusting and your scaring the kids! Stop drinking from the tap!"

Just working on stretching this thread. :)

Bob Riebe
2nd June 2011, 03:16
As I exit the Indy in Toronto, wading knee deep through tens of thousands of empty water bottles, I can't imagine the size of the recycling containers required to contain these... bottles. But, they should have something.

If you told me as a youth that one day people would make millions of dollars selling water -- not Coke, not Coffee, not Molsons -- at events such as these, I would have laughed at you. How we survived without bottled water is a Miracle.

"Honey, that's disgusting and your scaring the kids! Stop drinking from the tap!"

Just working on stretching this thread. :) I have already, because I did not bring a vessel, of which I have many for this purpose, buy one bottle so I can refill over the day or weekend.

dataman1
2nd June 2011, 14:06
Sort of off topic but at least related. I help put on a series of concerts on our public square on Saturday nights. We purchase recyclable plastic cups for our beer and sell only plastic containers of soda, water, etc. We put out many recycle recepticles next to trash bins. The public throws everything both containers so we end up sorting to get things in the proper container. FYI, I hate dirty disposable diapers! My point is that many just don't care while others don't know the difference.

SarahFan
2nd June 2011, 14:16
I think it's absolutely related dataman1

It's 2011..... And the Indy 500 is the geatest spectacle in sports!

Why not make it the geenest spectacle in sports in 2012

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for the sport to make some waves and garner attention besides it's on track product

Maybe it's time to strive 100% recycling in 2012

Print all the tickets and programs etc on recycled paper...all concessions served in recyclable papers plastics and metals

Bins everywhere.....

Make a huge deal of it..... Get the non-profits boy scouts etc on board

Might be an opportunity here....pump out 100's of press releases etc

booger
2nd June 2011, 20:20
Nice comment, Garyshell. It's still a stupid thread...I thought this is supposed to be a racing forum, not a tree hugger huddle!!!

Bob Riebe
2nd June 2011, 21:36
I think it's absolutely related dataman1

It's 2011..... And the Indy 500 is the geatest spectacle in sports!

Why not make it the geenest spectacle in sports in 2012

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for the sport to make some waves and garner attention besides it's on track product

Maybe it's time to strive 100% recycling in 2012

Print all the tickets and programs etc on recycled paper...all concessions served in recyclable papers plastics and metals

Bins everywhere.....

Make a huge deal of it..... Get the non-profits boy scouts etc on board

Might be an opportunity here....pump out 100's of press releases etc
I take it you have never had the opportunity of having to sort through garbage and find stuff that is not there?

I had that job one summer actually not all that long ago, REGARDLESS of what is SUPPOSED to be there, there is stuff there that IS NOT supposed to be there and the poor huddled masses or whatever one may want to call the not-for-profit people, will have to sift/sort through crap, marked bins/containers or not.

My greatest find was a tire, still on the rim, hidden in a garbage bag that except for its weight, gave no hint of what had been hidden inside.

SarahFan
2nd June 2011, 22:16
Your right bob...... It's too F'en hard .. Why bother even trying

maxmach
3rd June 2011, 15:05
You know, this post is too long. SF was absolutely right, there should be recycling bins. Done, next story.

Bob Riebe
3rd June 2011, 17:04
Your right bob...... It's too F'en hard .. Why bother even trying
We have pointed out why it serves no purpose except to cause unnecessary cost, while not stopping the need to sort through the garbage.
I'll let it go at that.

nigelred5
3rd June 2011, 18:14
I sort my refuse and recyclables at home... the truck comes along, guess what? They empty both containers into the same truck.

At the local 1A stadium near me, IIRC all food and beverage is served on/in bio-degradable packaging, including the clear plastic beer cups made from corn. Mother nature takes care of the recycling of the containers, I take care of recycling the contents.