PDA

View Full Version : This is getting boring!

snellman
29th May 2011, 15:27
A superb driver in a superb car, this is getting boring

donKey jote
29th May 2011, 15:28
yep... time to ban something à la Mass Dampers ;) :p

Daniel
29th May 2011, 15:29
Go and watch the euromillions draw if you want something unpredictable......

ioan
29th May 2011, 15:29
Uh ohh, still not enough show for some people out there?

N4D13
29th May 2011, 15:32
We'll still have to see if they end up banning blown diffusers. But even that won't stop Red Bull from taking the crown.

Dave B
29th May 2011, 15:36

I'm no Vettel fan but if I had a forelock I'd be tugging it. He's winning on merit, so best of luck to him. It's up to the others to up their game.

Hawkmoon
29th May 2011, 15:39
I'm no Vettel fan but if I had a forelock I'd be tugging it. He's winning on merit, so best of luck to him. It's up to the others to up their game.

That's true. It was also true in 2002 when Schumi and Ferrari swept all before them. We saw how the FIA, not to mention the media, reacted then. The stupid rule changes brought in after 2002 have taken years to rectify.

steveaki13
29th May 2011, 15:49

I know. We need even more battling and overtaking, put the cars on ovals. :p :

:up: The best driver in the best car winning the races and in time the title its how it should be.

That's true. It was also true in 2002 when Schumi and Ferrari swept all before them. We saw how the FIA, not to mention the media, reacted then. The stupid rule changes brought in after 2002 have taken years to rectify.

Agree.
What do people want, why can't people enjoy seeing a currant and future champion at his best.

ioan
29th May 2011, 15:52

Catering to the occasional fan is the worse thing a sport can do, but then again they are many, too many.

wedge
29th May 2011, 15:56
A lucky win. Certainly in the dry this year's RBR isn't as good as last years, IMO.

ioan
29th May 2011, 15:58
A lucky win. Certainly in the dry this year's RBR isn't as good as last years, IMO.

Lucky?! Based on what? Certainly not track position.

Dave B
29th May 2011, 16:00

Yessss. He was so lucky to get himself into the lead based on speed and strategy. :\

wedge
29th May 2011, 16:24
Of course you make your own luck but I was more interested in whether Vettel would've lasted 60 laps on a set of tyres. If he did, then it would have been a great win. But hey, a win is a win.

ioan
29th May 2011, 16:39
Of course you make your own luck but I was more interested in whether Vettel would've lasted 60 laps on a set of tyres. If he did, then it would have been a great win. But hey, a win is a win.

There were only 6 more laps to go and the RBR was more stable and with better traction then the Ferrari and JB was not even trying to threaten Alonso. Vettel was set to win it anyway.

BDunnell
29th May 2011, 16:41
There were only 6 more laps to go and the RBR was more stable and with better traction then the Ferrari and JB was not even trying to threaten Alonso. Vettel was set to win it anyway.

I agree. Had there not been the set of circumstances around the first safety car, I am sure Button would have won, but given what happened late in the race Vettel's win was fully deserved.

AndyL
29th May 2011, 16:50
Weren't there about 10 laps still to go when the second safety car came out? The big unknown was whether Vettel would reach the "cliff" on the tyres.

Daniel
29th May 2011, 16:53
I agree. Had there not been the set of circumstances around the first safety car, I am sure Button would have won, but given what happened late in the race Vettel's win was fully deserved.

Button didn't exactly look as if the passes were guaranteed though.

ioan
29th May 2011, 16:56
Weren't there about 10 laps still to go when the second safety car came out? The big unknown was whether Vettel would reach the "cliff" on the tyres.

6 to go.

ioan
29th May 2011, 16:57

he never ever even tried a move on Alonso even though he was close. Looked to me that he was waiting for the tires of Vettel and Alonso to go off. Not the right attitude to earn a driver of the race nomination, let alone the race win.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 16:58
6 to go.

The safety car was out for 2 laps before it was red-flagged so it was 8 laps to go.

Daniel
29th May 2011, 16:59
he never ever even tried a move on Alonso even though he was close. Looked to me that he was waiting for the tires of Vettel and Alonso to go off. Not the right attitude to earn a driver of the race nomination, let alone the race win.

Perhaps the pass was guaranteed though..... but the fact that at no point did Button make it look a sure thing doesn't suggest to me that Button wuz robbed.

Dave B
29th May 2011, 17:00

We'll never know. If he'd bided his time and Vettel's and Alonso's ancient tyres fell off a cliff (and I accept it's merely an "if"), he would have been a deserving winner by virtue of his racecraft. It's not always about outright pace, you should know that as you're always telling us what a purist you are.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 17:00

If he had attacked Alonso, then Vettel would have pulled away as Alonso was defending. He said in interview that he was waiting for Alonso to have a go at Vettel into turn one and pick up the pieces.

Daniel
29th May 2011, 17:03
We'll never know. If he'd bided his time and Vettel's and Alonso's ancient tyres fell off a cliff (and I accept it's merely an "if"), he would have been a deserving winner by virtue of his racecraft. It's not always about outright pace, you should know that as you're always telling us what a purist you are.

Of course. But when you were in school you didn't get grades for ifs and buts :)

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:09
The safety car was out for 2 laps before it was red-flagged so it was 8 laps to go.

Maybe. Though I think it was only one SC lap before they realized that they can't get Petrov out of the way.

Somebody
29th May 2011, 17:11
Of course, Button almost certainly wouldn't have won even if Vettel's tyres had gone off, because Alonso's tyres - though old - would still have been younger at the end of the race than Vettel's tyres were when the SC came out in the run-up to the red flag, and so wouldn't have hit the cliff.

BDunnell
29th May 2011, 17:11

Around the first safety car, I said.

BDunnell
29th May 2011, 17:13

Alain Prost won the 1986 World Championship in a car that was blatantly not the fastest that season, but through consistency and going for percentages. I assume he in no way earns any respect from you either, for what many enthusiasts still consider to have been an exceptionally impressive title victory?

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 17:14
Of course, Button almost certainly wouldn't have won even if Vettel's tyres had gone off, because Alonso's tyres - though old - would still have been younger at the end of the race than Vettel's tyres were when the SC came out in the run-up to the red flag, and so wouldn't have hit the cliff.

Alonso would have tried to go up the inside into the chicane, locked up and have to go through the escape road. He then would have had to let Vettel back past but Button would take advantage and pass both of them. :p

Daniel
29th May 2011, 17:15
Alonso would have tried to go up the inside into the chicane, locked up and have to go through the escape road. He then would have had to let Vettel back past but Button would taken advantage and pass both of them.

huh?

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 17:16
huh?

This was my forecast before the red flag. :p

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:16
Alain Prost won the 1986 World Championship in a car that was blatantly not the fastest that season, but through consistency and going for percentages. I assume he in no way earns any respect from you either, for what many enthusiasts still consider to have been an exceptionally impressive title victory?

Can we at all compare what Alain did back then with Button being 5th in the standings and a mile behind Vettel?

Dave B
29th May 2011, 17:19
Can we at all compare what Alain did back then with Button being 5th in the standings and a mile behind Vettel?
Shifting the goalposts. We were discussing a single race, in which Button was playing a tactical waiting game. It didn't work out today thanks to an unpredictable safety car, but there's a chance it could have netted him a win or a 2nd place. All conjecture, as I previously said, but as a self-confessed "purist" you must surely recognise that sometimes tactics and racecraft are just as important as outright speed.

BDunnell
29th May 2011, 17:22
All conjecture, as I previously said, but as a self-confessed "purist" you must surely recognise that sometimes tactics and racecraft are just as important as outright speed.

I don't see how anyone can call themselves a 'purist' and then get all upset when the team of which they are a fan goes through a bad patch, given said team's history (of which I guess they are largely unaware) of suffering some appalling bad patches, but I guess that's beside the point here.

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:23
Shifting the goalposts. We were discussing a single race, in which Button was playing a tactical waiting game. It didn't work out today thanks to an unpredictable safety car, but there's a chance it could have netted him a win or a 2nd place. All conjecture, as I previously said, but as a self-confessed "purist" you must surely recognise that sometimes tactics and racecraft are just as important as outright speed.

When you are 5th in the standings and about 3 race wins worth behind you should not play the waiting game because you will only lose more terrain. Especially when the one winning is also ahead of you in the standings.

And let's not forget that even Alonso is about to overtake Button in the standings.

BDunnell
29th May 2011, 17:24
When you are 5th in the standings and about 3 race wins worth behind you should not play the waiting game because you will only lose more terrain. Especially when the one winning is also ahead of you in the standings.

And let's not forget that even Alonso is about to overtake Button in the standings.

What do you mean 'even Alonso' — one of the finest drivers in the world?

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:28
What do you mean 'even Alonso' — one of the finest drivers in the world?

The Ferrari is no way equal in performance to the McLaren which puts Button into the shade as far as race craft is concerned.

Dave B
29th May 2011, 17:30

I'm not sure whether it's that you cannot or will not understand the point. Button was playing the waiting game in this race, not in the championship overall. He believed - rightly or wrongly - that Vettel's lap times were about to tank, and played the game accordingly.

At the risk of angering you by bringing your hero into the equation, some of Schumacher's best victories have been tactical so it confuses me why you would become so vexed at the thought of Jenson winning in such a way.

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:32
I'm not sure whether it's that you cannot or will not understand the point. Button was playing the waiting game in this race, not in the championship overall. He believed - rightly or wrongly - that Vettel's lap times were about to tank, and played the game accordingly.

And I was explaining that he chose the wrong play in this trace given where he stands overall. Or do they not race in a championship anymore?

BDunnell
29th May 2011, 17:32
I'm not sure whether it's that you cannot or will not understand the point.

Or, maybe, because the comparison with Prost in 1986 is somewhat lost, referring as it does to a season before the Schumacher era?

At the risk of angering you by bringing your hero into the equation, some of Schumacher's best victories have been tactical so it confuses me why you would become so vexed at the thought of Jenson winning in such a way.

And, indeed, some of them may have been down to car superiority too.

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:33
I

Win vs 3rd place, nuff said.

Dave B
29th May 2011, 17:36
And I was explaining that he chose the wrong play in this trace given where he stands overall. Or do they not race in a championship anymore?
You can only play the game one race at a time. Jenson believed (and I repeat: rightly or wrongly, we'll never know) that his tactic would win him the race. It was, on balance, the right thing to do. The second safety car was impossible to predict.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 17:38
Win vs 3rd place, nuff said.

So one of Schumi's strengths was his ability to predict safety cars and red-flagging of the race? :rolleyes:

ioan
29th May 2011, 18:18
So one of Schumi's strengths was his ability to predict safety cars and red-flagging of the race? :rolleyes:

Who said that?

Robinho
29th May 2011, 18:28
IMO had the race not been red flagged and new tyres given out Vettel almost certainly would not have managed to stay ahead, What the final order of the top 3 would have been i'm unsure, but I don't think Vettel would have won, in fact he probably would have ended up 3rd, the times were getting progressively worse. What was certain was at the time the fastest of the 3 was at the back of the 3 and the slowest was at the front. As it was the circumstances dictated the end was very different to what we would have seen without the red flag, but you can only work with the circumstances you are presented with and the result is what it is and with a little fortune Vettel took a good win. I don't think he was either the best or the fastest driver today

Daniel
29th May 2011, 18:39
IMO had the race not been red flagged and new tyres given out Vettel almost certainly would not have managed to stay ahead, What the final order of the top 3 would have been i'm unsure, but I don't think Vettel would have won, in fact he probably would have ended up 3rd, the times were getting progressively worse. What was certain was at the time the fastest of the 3 was at the back of the 3 and the slowest was at the front. As it was the circumstances dictated the end was very different to what we would have seen without the red flag, but you can only work with the circumstances you are presented with and the result is what it is and with a little fortune Vettel took a good win. I don't think he was either the best or the fastest driver today

We don't know if Vettel was going to fall off the cliff. But I agree that when the race is red flagged it should be parc ferme rules unless it's raining :)

Robinho
29th May 2011, 18:44
we don't know, but the odds were in the favour he was heading that way, he was clearly struggling for pace, about 4+ seconds of the eventual fastest lap, on tyres that should have been only 1 sec slower, thats pretty serious degradation. its my feeling that he was on the precipice, and that Red Bull will have been so pleased to have the opportunity to get those tyres off the car. Stoopid rules there, we all wanted to see the end as it was panning out, with the differing tyres

ioan
29th May 2011, 18:46

You think that Alonso and Button would have managed around Monaco what Hamilton couldn't in the Spanish GP?

ioan
29th May 2011, 18:50
we don't know, but the odds were in the favour he was heading that way, he was clearly struggling for pace, about 4+ seconds of the eventual fastest lap, on tyres that should have been only 1 sec slower, thats pretty serious degradation.

Is it worth pushing hard around Monaco when ahead and all you need is to cover up?
Who says he wasn't nursing his tires by going a couple seconds per lap slower?

And BTW the Ferrari could not keep up under acceleration out of the corners either which leads me to think that Alonso's tires might have been in a worse state than those of Vettel.

The chances for no position change were by far bigger than an overtake happening without a major screw up.

Robinho
29th May 2011, 19:02
You think that Alonso and Button would have managed around Monaco what Hamilton couldn't in the Spanish GP?

I think that Alonso and/or Button would have managed to get past Vettel. It was nothing like Spain, there was about a 40 lap spread of wear between the top 3's tyres.

To answer your other question, if Vettel had just been nursing and covering up, i don't think the top 3 would have been running all within 1 sec, that would have been too uncomfortable.

I think your right and Alonso was beginning to struggle with the rears, and don't forget the blown diffuser gives a great advantage to the RBR in the low to mid speed corners like the last one allowing better traction. Vettel was obviously pacing a bit and trying to cover up as much as possible, but he was struggling and i honestly don't think he would have won the race without the red flag and the new tyres. But that is what we got and thats what he did, and he certainly deserves the credit for gettinng to that point in the lead and being in the right place to capitalise. Just for me, today he was not my driver of the day, ok?

ioan
29th May 2011, 19:14
I think that Alonso and/or Button would have managed to get past Vettel. It was nothing like Spain, there was about a 40 lap spread of wear between the top 3's tyres.

To answer your other question, if Vettel had just been nursing and covering up, i don't think the top 3 would have been running all within 1 sec, that would have been too uncomfortable.

I think your right and Alonso was beginning to struggle with the rears, and don't forget the blown diffuser gives a great advantage to the RBR in the low to mid speed corners like the last one allowing better traction. Vettel was obviously pacing a bit and trying to cover up as much as possible, but he was struggling and i honestly don't think he would have won the race without the red flag and the new tyres. But that is what we got and thats what he did, and he certainly deserves the credit for gettinng to that point in the lead and being in the right place to capitalise. Just for me, today he was not my driver of the day, ok?

Fair enough! :up:

jens
29th May 2011, 21:44
Considering that I'm a bit of a fanboy, I'm liking all of this so far. After all the struggles of 2010, everything is finally falling into place and I'm enjoying the level of precision Team Vettel has achieved by now. His season hasn't been perfect either (some risky strategies and malfunctioning KERS), but Seb has been driving flawlessly to capitalize on the situations as much as possible.

But taking a bit of a wider view, I'm satisfied as long as the races are entertaining. And my goodness, they are! Points table IMO isn't really that important, it's just an off-track activity of adding numbers to each other. Of course a tight battle would add to the drama, but while watching the race, just forget it and enjoy all the battles there are going on through the field! I would be concerned if it was like 2002, when we had both domination and boring races.

F1boat
29th May 2011, 22:02
But taking a bit of a wider view, I'm satisfied as long as the races are entertaining. And my goodness, they are! Points table IMO isn't really that important, it's just an off-track activity of adding numbers to each other.
Exactly!

wedge
30th May 2011, 01:27

No one knew how the tyres would last.

Look at Schumi and Rosberg in the first stint when the their tyres went junk.

wedge
30th May 2011, 01:55
Yessss. He was so lucky to get himself into the lead based on speed and strategy. :\

Lucky that he was on the 'right' tyre it seems

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91866

CNR
30th May 2011, 03:30
if anything button was lucky he got to warm up his tyres behind the safty car and not at race pace when you look at alonso on the out lap
and crazy frog may have still done it on a 1 stop

DexDexter
30th May 2011, 07:02

Good show but Vettel is winning them too often. Great driver but let's hope he has some DNFs just to make it more exciting. 99% of viewers don't want to see Vettel running away with it. Domination is never good.

555-04Q2
30th May 2011, 10:36

Bullsh!t. This is one of the best starts to a season since the early 1990's. We are seeing some real racing the whole way down the field. I couldn't give a sh!t is Vettel wins every race remaining this year, as long as the close racing continues. Bring on the rest of 2011 I say.

F1boat
30th May 2011, 12:24
Yes, and I'd be priviliged to see (finally) another convincing WDC after M Schumacher. And DNF is a bit cruel wish, given Seb's past...

Cooper_S
30th May 2011, 13:55
After winning the WDC last year without ever leading the championship and suffereing plenty of DNF's I think it will take more than a a few DNF's to stop Vettel this season as he already had two DNF's in hand over Lewis, Jenson and Mark and 3 over Alonso.

N. Jones
30th May 2011, 14:29
Can't see how 1st-2nd-3rd separated by a half second can be considered boring. That was the best Monaco GP I have ever seen.

Cooper_S
30th May 2011, 14:36
the red flag tyre change arguments are a red herring... as the race should have finnished when it as red flaged, and the result would have been the same... this is F1 and those are the breaks.

If Jenson and the Mclaren are truly now as good as they appear a win is not far away.

airshifter
30th May 2011, 17:13
Bullsh!t. This is one of the best starts to a season since the early 1990's. We are seeing some real racing the whole way down the field. I couldn't give a sh!t is Vettel wins every race remaining this year, as long as the close racing continues. Bring on the rest of 2011 I say.

Something we agree on. Though the Red Bull is probably the best car in the field, nobody is handing Sebastian these wins.

Red Bull and Sebastian rolled the dice on the tire strategy, and decided on a very ballsy move to stay on the tires and go for a win rather than change and probably end up 3rd. In doing so he forced himself to take care of the tires that were well beyond lap expectations... and to do it while holding off two other former WDCs in great cars with much newer tires.

Personally I think Button catching up to Alonso played a huge part. Until then Alonso could focus on hounding Vettel and hoping for a mistake. Once Jenson caught up Alonso had to split his focus.

Vettel used the strong points of the car to do the same thing he did to Lewis in Spain. He was getting great exits, saving his KERS to defend when needed, and controlling the race.

One of the best Monaco races in many years IMO, and overall one of the best season starts in many years.

ioan
30th May 2011, 17:58
No one knew how the tyres would last.

Look at Schumi and Rosberg in the first stint when the their tyres went junk.

Was Vettel driving a crappy W02 and we missed it? You always compare apples and bananas, strange habit.

ioan
30th May 2011, 17:59
Great driver but let's hope he has some DNFs just to make it more exciting.

Wishing bad on someone just for the show's sake! :down:

AndyL
30th May 2011, 23:20
the red flag tyre change arguments are a red herring... as the race should have finnished when it as red flaged, and the result would have been the same... this is F1 and those are the breaks.

Whether the result would have been the same is not the point. If tyre changes hadn't been allowed, then we might have got the thrilling finale that had been building up before the safety car. Even if Vettel's tyres had lasted and neither Alonso nor Button had been able to pass, it still would have been a rivetting last few laps. The finish we got was a bit of an anticlimax, and if they'd called it at the red flag that would have been an anticlimax too.

Cooper_S
30th May 2011, 23:38
How is that not the point... tyre changes are are allowed so there really is no point in saying they shouldn't or for that matter this, that or the other 'may' have happened... I mean for every possible alternative result where Vettel did not win there are other possible alternatives resulting in Vettel still winning....

Had they banned tyre changes and restarted... Jenson and Alonso could have tangled next lap and left Vettle 5 laps to cruise home nursing his tyres all the way... that would also have been an anticlimax.

555-04Q2
31st May 2011, 06:18
Something we agree on.

Thanks, now it's raining outside :p :

SGWilko
31st May 2011, 09:29

Seconded!