PDA

View Full Version : Jammy Git of the race (driver of the race) Monaco 2011

donKey jote
29th May 2011, 15:13
Vettel, then Alonso, then Button.

And Webber for his P4 + Fastest Lap

Daniel
29th May 2011, 15:13
Agree with Donkey for once :D more Donkeys than un-donkeys this race though....

tfp
29th May 2011, 15:14
jammy git - vettel. donkey - hamilton.

wedge
29th May 2011, 15:15
Kobay for passing Sutil touge style!

N4D13
29th May 2011, 15:17
Vettel, then Schumacher.

Schumacher proved that overtaking is possible at Loews. Meanwhile, Di Resta and Hamilton proved that it isn't.

Hawkmoon
29th May 2011, 15:23
Maldonado. Showed Barrichello the way for the second succesive race. Pity he was a victim of Hamilton's pursuit of the donkey prize.

AndyL
29th May 2011, 15:43
Schumacher proved that overtaking is possible at Loews.

At least you can if you're passing your team-mate who's not going to slam the door on you!

steveaki13
29th May 2011, 15:44
Vettel. He drove well on very old tyres and witheld the pressure until the red flag, took a gamble to stay out instead of just being careful and stopping twice or thrice.

Got lucky in the end, but deserved a slice of luck.

Alonso - Great Drive, may have won if not for the red flag.

Button- Without the SC may have won but a great drive.

Kobayashi - Thought he drove well in traffic, a risky move on Sutil paid off and another exciting drive.

Not a driver of the race, but a mention for Rubens Barrichello as he was 4th then pitted, fell just a lap behind then the SC cost him a lap when he may have finished 4th or 5th.

Dave B
29th May 2011, 15:48
Bernd Maylander: he got more mileage in this one race than in the rest of the season so far. :p

Dave B
29th May 2011, 16:10
BBC viewers, for what it's worth, voted Button as driver of the race with Vettel 2nd and Alonso 3rd.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 16:30
Button was great today and deserved to win.

ioan
29th May 2011, 16:35
Button was great today and deserved to win.

Only the winner deserved to win.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 16:38
Only the winner deserved to win.

Well I suppose. But I think Button drove better than Vettel today. The red flag saved Vettel.

pino
29th May 2011, 16:39
Button for me :up:

ioan
29th May 2011, 16:41
Well I suppose. But I think Button drove better than Vettel today. The red flag saved Vettel.

Still Button was not ahead when the red flag came out, so I fail to see why he drove better? Because he's got several new tire sets at his disposal? Because he went through those tires faster?

Both Alonso and Vettel did a better job today, that's life the one in front wins and the others lose.

AndyL
29th May 2011, 16:43
According to what Brundle said, Vettel the jammy git of the race - putting primes on his car at the first stop was a mistake! The strategists called for options but it was miscommunicated to the pit crew.

ioan
29th May 2011, 16:45
According to what Brundle said, Vettel the jammy git of the race - putting primes on his car at the first stop was a mistake! The strategists called for options but it was miscommunicated to the pit crew.

If true it makes his drive even better.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 16:50
If true it makes his drive even better.

It would have changed the race completely. If Vettel's first stop had gone to plan then Button might not have passed him, so both would have had a different strategy.

Interestingly, after the red-flag Vettel and Alonso had fresh super-softs and Button had softs, but still had the same pace.

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:19
Interestingly, after the red-flag Vettel and Alonso had fresh super-softs and Button had softs, but still had the same pace.

Not really the same pace, while Alonso kept close to Vettel (1+ second) Button fell back and wasn't really in touch anymore after a couple of laps.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 17:22
Not really the same pace, while Alonso kept close to Vettel (1+ second) Button fell back and wasn't really in touch anymore after a couple of laps.

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 2:09:38.373
2 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 2:09:39.511
3 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 2:09:40.751

He finished 1.2 secs behind Alonso. :p (despite 5 laps racing on tyres that were apparently 1 second a lap slower)

ioan
29th May 2011, 17:30
1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 2:09:38.373
2 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 2:09:39.511
3 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 2:09:40.751

He finished 1.2 secs behind Alonso. :p (despite 5 laps racing on tyres that were apparently 1 second a lap slower)

Still 2 laps after the restart he was not that close as Vettel pulled out about 1 second in the first lap alone.

Robinho
29th May 2011, 18:52
For me Button was the driver of the race, but Monaco always throws up strange situations and Vettel made it work. Alonso also drove a great race. Any other day any of the top 3 would have been an easy driver of the race, but today they were all so well matched and any slight deviation from the circumstances with the crashes or safety cars and the order of the three could have been completley different

Sonic
29th May 2011, 19:22
Pastor gets driver of the race for me; that position, in that bucket of a Williams, on merit in his first Monaco GP - awesome! He didn't put a foot wrong, unless you count trying to share the track with red mist hamster.

Jenson doesn't get my vote, for whilst he was BALLISTIC in clean air, he wasn't pushing up to the gearbox of the car in front when he *had* to pass.

Daniel
29th May 2011, 19:25
Pastor gets driver of the race for me; that position, in that bucket of a Williams, on merit in his first Monaco GP - awesome! He didn't put a foot wrong, unless you count trying to share the track with red mist hamster.

Jenson doesn't get my vote, for whilst he was BALLISTIC in clean air, he wasn't pushing up to the gearbox of the car in front when he *had* to pass.

TBH other than when he was in the Brawn which was miles faster than other cars, I don't think Jenson has shown the ability to consistently pass when he needs to.

Sonic
29th May 2011, 20:09
TBH other than when he was in the Brawn which was miles faster than other cars, I don't think Jenson has shown the ability to consistently pass when he needs to.

Which is odd - he had such race craft in his younger days.

ioan
29th May 2011, 20:12

Well, I never saw him race when he was a kid so can't comment on this.

The Black Knight
29th May 2011, 20:15
I would give Alonso driver of the race. His car is not as good as Button's but yet he came home in 2nd position. I'm anything but an Alonso fan but he was the driver of the day by a mile today, in my opinion. He is dragging every inch of performance from that Ferrari that he can this year and has been highly impressive.

Sonic
29th May 2011, 20:18
Well, I never saw him race when he was a kid so can't comment on this.

Not just in his Ford and F3 days though - remember Brazil '00? He seemed to loose some of that fire during the Renault days.

ioan
29th May 2011, 20:21
Not just in his Ford and F3 days though - remember Brazil '00?

Honestly I do not remember that specific race for anything special. Will have to check on You Tube.

Sonic
29th May 2011, 20:28
Honestly I do not remember that specific race for anything special. Will have to check on You Tube.

IIRC, he made a move on Joss the Boss for a points paying finish at turn 9 (I think).

ioan
29th May 2011, 20:40
IIRC, he made a move on Joss the Boss for a points paying finish at turn 9 (I think).

Thanks for the info, will see if I can find it.

Sonic
29th May 2011, 20:48
Thanks for the info, will see if I can find it.

And if you can't, could you search for my medication instead? :p

AndyL
29th May 2011, 20:53

That's a good call. It's a good year for rookies - Maldonado, Perez and DiResta are all looking like they fully deserve their seats (DiResta's antics today notwithstanding).

steveaki13
29th May 2011, 21:40
I think Maldonado did really well today and was on for some good points, but I am not sure he has had a brilliant start to this season, I can see Williams moving him aside like they did to Hulkenberg.

jens
29th May 2011, 22:10
Vettel had an insane strategy. Although we didn't see the last 10 laps, but until then he was actually able to make it work against odds! Brilliant! :up:

Alonso had a strong race. He was helped by the strategic gambles (Vettel, Button) around him and got so close to Ferrari's first win of the season... and their first Monaco win after 10 years!

I don't know, what was McLaren thinking that they didn't give Button harder tyres in the second pitstop. It would have enabled him to finish at least second. Anyway, before that, in the second stint it looked like the Englishman was set for a win. It was a positive race for him to close the points gap with team-mate Hamilton.

Maldonado earned the reputation of a Monaco expert already during his GP2 days. Now in F1 in his rookie season he has confirmed it. Extremely mature drive and a very sorry ending to an excellent performance all weekend.

Kobayashi was always going to be more competitive in race trim than qualifying. This time he managed to capitalize on opportunities properly and achieved his career-best result with another aggressive drive (pass on Sutil). Well done! :up:

And finally... Not a driver of the day, but it was interesting that Sutil was 4th at one point of the race with all the strategical mess around, but like 2008, failed to stay there. Got overtaken and then hit the wall, causing mayhem behind.

Sonic
30th May 2011, 00:48
I think Maldonado did really well today and was on for some good points, but I am not sure he has had a brilliant start to this season, I can see Williams moving him aside like they did to Hulkenberg.

Eh? Are ye mad? He's quick enough, and he needs a truck to carry his wallet with all that lovely sponsorship money he brings. Why would he get drop kicked?

CNR
30th May 2011, 01:04
lewis for showing that there are better drivers than him crazy frog has 1 more win than him

wedge
30th May 2011, 01:36

He gave away second too easily in the 2005 San Marino GP and yet Alonso held Schumi for what, nearly 10 laps?

Ari
30th May 2011, 07:10
Hard to separate the top 4 with each having different strong points in the race.

I will say Button over Vettel and then Alonso/Webber.

Vettel got lucky with that late SC and being able to change tyres. Button knew the job and was all over it. Would have loved to have seen what "might have happened". Nando pushed the car faster than anyone else could have, again. Webber was massively compromised by his team, again, but grabbed a decent 4th after keeping the grit on.

steveaki13
30th May 2011, 07:35
Eh? Are ye mad? He's quick enough, and he needs a truck to carry his wallet with all that lovely sponsorship money he brings. Why would he get drop kicked?

He needs it with the amount of a spins and bumps he's had in practice sessions. :p

DexDexter
30th May 2011, 08:13
Maldonado. Vettel drove well but was lucky, so therefore he isn't the driver of the race in my books.

F1boat
30th May 2011, 09:09
Vettel, for me. He just won the biggest prize in F1 after the WDC. And after immense pressure, I have to say. Yes, he was a bit lucky - its part of the game.

Sonic
30th May 2011, 09:37
He needs it with the amount of a spins and bumps he's had in practice sessions. :p

To be fair to the lad; if you are gonna shunt during the weekend, do it on Friday.

steveaki13
30th May 2011, 09:49
To be fair to the lad; if you are gonna shunt during the weekend, do it on Friday.

True.

No I like the guy and he drove brilliantly in Monaco, but I thought Hulkenberg did well and deserved a second season.

As you say though, he brings money and if he can perform like he did this weekend more times this season, he should have no worries.

Shifter
31st May 2011, 04:18
There were multiple drivers that acquitted themselves quite well; Maldonado drove awesome for his rookie debut in F1 at Monaco, Webber did fantastic to get back up to 4th after a dodgy pit stop, Alonso once again got the Ferrari up behind a RedBull to make Ferrari the second place constructor, heck even Schumacher walks away having done his reputation no harm beyond the slow start from the grid...he was the only person to avoid being hit by Hamilton during a pass after all...

555-04Q2
31st May 2011, 06:29
The winner.

Garry Walker
1st June 2011, 21:10
No one really stood out.

Zico
1st June 2011, 22:25
Yep, no one really stood out for me either. For me Vettel lucked it, If only the red flag hadn't fallen and caused a restart... and why fresh tyres for all the cars? Its crazy and it robbed us of an exciting last few laps.

For those of you criticising Jenson for not attacking Alonso and Vettel, if the red flag hadn't fallen it may have proved to be a wise decision when Alonso and Vettel had tangled. Too many if, buts and maybe's though so I'll give it equally to Button and Alonso.

Mia 01
1st June 2011, 23:23
Seb and then Jenson

N4D13
2nd June 2011, 22:01
At least you can if you're passing your team-mate who's not going to slam the door on you!
And Hamilton. :p

Luck and who you're passing counts a lot, ofc, and I'd rather try to move on Rosberg and Hamilton than Massa and Maldonado, but Schumi's passes were impressive nevertheless. I've criticised him harshly then he's driven wrongly this year, so why shouldn't I acknowledge that he drove brilliantly in Monaco?